Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Captain Log posted:

I think Till takes it. He might not be great, but Woodley straight up forgot how to do anything but point fight.

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Woodley did better against Maia than Anderson Silva.

e: I stand corrected, two judges gave Maia a single round over Woodley whereas only one judge gave him one round over Silva, and MMADecisions does not have the per round card for said judge, Howard Hughes, presumably because he ate his scorecard in disgust. So Silvs did technically do better. but only by a point.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 4, 2018

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

glad to be in captain log's notebook of cuties who are right

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Conor is really good at timing punches on people who come in recklessly or don't set up their entry right, which is how he starched Aldo. This is potentially bad for Khabib, because he is not the best at striking or defense on the feet, and routinely gets tagged on entry and it almost got him in trouble against Michael Johnson (worse than Conor) and was one of the only areas Al Iaquinta (worse than Conor) had success in their fight.

On the other hand, Conor doesn't have the best gas tank, and while he had ok enough takedown defense against featherweights and is good at scrambling out when openings present themselves, but in general once he gets dumped his strategy is to stare at the ref until he gets a standup or the guy on top rushes to advance position for fear that Conor will convince the ref to stand them up, presenting an opportunity to scramble. That is why he spent so much time on the ground against Chad Mendes (much physically weaker than Khabib) and part of how he got finished by Nate Diaz (hilarious.)

There's a perceivable way either guy can win and just kind of depends on who executes their path to victory best imo. But the fight won't happen because Conor will go to that space prison the justice league puts Doomsday and Khabib's whole rear end will fall off.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I think both fighters are good at what they do but some of you regard one or the other as unbeatable boogeymen despite evidence to the contrary and I think each guy has a clear cut, realistic way of beating the other in a way that will make it look like the loser didn't belong in the cage with the winner. Either Khabib would powerbomb Conor to hell or Conor would punch Khabib's head off his shoulders when he rushes in with his big head straight on the center line, and depending on which way it happens either two thirds of PSP's remaining posters or Dangersim will be doing devastated mental gymnastics to reinforce their shattered worldview.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I know it's easy to act like a clear blueprint of how to beat a fighter is some fictional abstract that no one has ever or could possibly ever use when that fighter is undefeated and commonly gets finishes or brutal dominant decision victories, but if Michael Johnson were either marginally more powerful or significantly less of an idiot dumbass then he would have beaten Khabib.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

New promo package for UFC 229 is out and looks great. Focus is entirely on Conor but he is a natural showman and they sparred no expense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjoBjBculec

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Where your rear end, gorge? where your rear end motherfucker

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Help! I'm Scouse but I find it very hard to root for Darren Till because he's such an awful, unlikeable chavvy, toxic, douchey representative. (And definitely would've bullied me to suicide in school.)

Whereas T-Wood seems pretty inoffensive and chill and not at all a douche. He impressively knocked out Robbie Lawler, he gets too much hate for playing safe in boring matchups, and idiots that get outraged about percieved outrages hate him because he talks about race sometimes - so that's all pretty cool. On the other hand, he knocked Robbie Lawler basically out of MMA and I will hold that against him forever. Still not as bad as Till though.

change my view

Nah you're right

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I missed the Lawler KO and the Till sub, so perhaps the secret is for me, Tyron woodley's biggest fan, to not watch his fights

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

So captain log in your little book, is my name like circled in a flower or heart or what?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

yea ok posted:

Idk he seemed just as good at going in and out at the same angle and speed 4 times in a row (Sex)

lmao

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly grow and die of renal failure

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

This will be Khabib's best opponent for sure, right? But not for Conor, since he fought Aldo and (the dumbest possible version of) Eddie. Don't think it has any affect on the fight, just an observation.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mekchu posted:

I look forward to the post fight "X was never really that good" discussion in a few weeks.

Im posting that now about both guys if it makes you feel any better

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

Definitely Khabib’s best opponent. The thing is, Conor made Aldo and Eddie both fight in a dumb way.
Is Khabib too much of a stone cold single-minded killer, or will he too fall victim to Irish hypnosis?

It's not really hypnosis when the way he fights every time plays into Conor's strengths while it's on the feet.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

BJ Penn vs. Ryan Hall is official for UFC 232. I'm strangely hyped. lol

You know when you boot up mgs5 and Snake is sitting in the helicopter smoking a cigar on the way to yet another poo poo mission that won't change anything in some poo poo part of the world, and he just looks so weary and tired but he's gonna do it anyway because that's just how it is on this bitch of an earth?

Because that's how I feel reading this

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you had gay sex with him would it be called going down the Zabit hole?

only if he's a bottom, otherwise he would be pulling a Zabit out of an rear end.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The moral of the story is take EPO, not steroids.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Big shots
Argue about what Jon's on
My client's piss is so hot
From all the Turinabol

Blow up
Jon's suspension is gonna grow up
Even though his drug dealer showed up
To testify before Chris Ault

Totally poo poo
I Am Totally poo poo
Our Legal Defense Is For Bums

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

more than jon jones with the alternative source confirmed and obviously trying (and failing) to do the right thing.

yeah its real bad

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

tesilential posted:

The weak spot is actually the promoter funding the testing agency.

If that was the problem here they woudn't have wasted time and money on arbitrition.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I am truly fascinated by Sage's unique blend of Bible Belt homoeroticm and Michael Scott-esque racism

Sage Northcutt (@sagenorthcutt) Tweeted:
Getting back to my roots https://t.co/BcPvVPWb50 https://twitter.com/sagenorthcutt/status/1041882946662096896?s=17

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

mewse posted:

He's probably 1/8th indigenous

literally the whitest thing you can be

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dana White, Benevolent Capitalist

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Friends, if you're just joining us, let me sum up the last 4 or so pages in one easy digest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egw0q6qfzDY

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I actually think it's really funny that they only let press goobers in so Conor's insane promotional antics play like the videos of Ross Geller without a laugh track so he seems like a version of Patrick Batemen who was born 10 years later and got really into anime

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

*watches cowboy jump his atv on rotted old wooden ramps over gator invested bayou with DonaldAnthonyCerroneSon Danger Cerrone strapped to his chest in a baby bjorn* its really touching to see athletes like this take time from their busy training schedules to bond with their children, so that's why I am voting Donald Cerrone Sports Illustrated Father of the Year

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Grem posted:

Whoa just went down a rabbit hole and found out Thug Rose's mom is a huge Trump supporter and super racist. drat.

they cant all be a unlikable as bec rawlings unfortunately

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

That one dude JUST drilled his nut sack in half, man

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The reigning LHW champ is very likely never fighting at LHW again and is probably just fighting Lesnar before retiring onto a pile of money.

If you want to assuage someone's fears that the ufc is not becoming like boxing, pointing out that a champ will never defend his belt before taking a stupid money fight with an unranked name before retiring isn't the way to do it my man.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I think Conor's going to try and stand with Khabib

hell.... you might be right

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

if you want to point at ppv numbers and make some assumptions, cool. but something has doubled the ufc's value since their two biggest stars fell off the face of the earth, so if you want to say 'they're bad at promoting', that's fine, but maybe throw in some thoughts about how that opinion gels with the company's worth sky rocketing.

or preferably, don't talk about it at all, because you don't really have any idea what you're talking about

The UFC has very deliberately done several things that seem to have the intended purpose of boosting their valuation, starting under Zuffa when they clearly started looking to sell. They put an apparel sponsorship deal in place that was transparently bad for fighters but ownership could point to as a multi million dollar asset that also prevented issues like fighters having condom depot on their asses. They've also done a stupid number of events per year which has seriously diluted the quality of the product on a per event basis but allows ownership to say they have significantly increased their international gate attendance and probably lets them showcase an increase in viewership on a per annum basis even when its way down on a per event basis, because four events a month that get 150k views still averages higher than 1.5 events a month that get 275k.

This last point is something WME has probably been able to leverage with increasing success when shopping around for broadcast deals since a fledgling streaming service with deep Disney pockets like ESPN Go probably doesn't give enough of a poo poo to question whether an increase in per annum viewers is as good as maintaining per event viewers because they are hungry for exclusive brand recognizable content so they're gonna sign a deal to get that. And having a multi year, multi million dollar broadcasting contract with ESPN Go and Fox will pretty drat likely boost a company's stock valuation completely independently from that company's present ability to market its product to end consumers, at least in the short term.

I fully acknowledge that I am not a millionare and this is just informed speculation on my part so any poster smarter than me with a B.B.A. from the University of Phoenix can feel free to quote this and tell me I am an ignorant fool, but as it turns out I think david charmichael is right and I think "the ufc has gotten bad at marketing its events and worse at marketing its fighters" is not mutually exclusive with "ufc has increased its corporate stock valuation under new management" and its weird that people are hung up on conflating the two.

To try and tie this deeply irrrlevant argument into upcoming events, I agree that the Conor Khabib fight seems like its hardly been promoted by comparison to any of Conor's previous big fights. Anecdotally, when Conor was about to fight Aldo and Alvarez I had people at work or social events who I had never once spoken to about UFC come up to me and ask me about that little Irish guy, and that hasn't happened at all now a week before the fight. I'm interested to see the numbers for it, I bet they're a trend down for McGregor.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

Maybe it's the constant fighter shuffling on major cards and seemingly endless string of interim belts making it hard to anticipate a card too far in advance

Maybe it's the overall aesthetic move towards "deliberate, traditional spectacle" and away from "charmingly miscalculated spectacle"

Maybe it's the seeming lack of well promoted new blood - even when a young fighter puts on a good show it feels like they're just absorbed into the miasma instantly

For me, though? Goldie :(

Wise Learned Man posted:

I honestly thought I was just getting old and crotchety or something, but I guess it's not just me. My best guess is that the fights I really want to see are just spread out over too many cards, so it makes every UFC more of a routine instead of An Event.

I agree with both of these personally.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

I agree with a whole lot of what is being said in this thread. I kind of want to take it in a weird philosophical direction though, and let me know if anyone agrees- I think the age of the sport is in a really weird spot right now. When Lebron wins an NBA title for Cleveland, that's the title that Shaq and Kobe won, it's the title that Michael Jordan won, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, and the Celtics back in old black and white TV days. The NBA championship has a legacy that is going to stand on its own, whether it's marketed well or not. And the UFC title is cool while it's brand new, because everyone is a pioneer, and seeing the sport evolve is great, but if you call Tyron Woodley's belt "the same belt Georges St.Pierre fought for" it doesn't mean much because Georges St. Pierre is just some guy who we suspect is over the hill and is just trying to take money fights and cash out. Someday the old crop of guys will all be legends, but now they're all still contemporaries. Hopefully some day we will all be telling our kids about Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit and it will build a mystique around that belt, and any fights for the belt in the future will have that weight behind them.

And that's even before all the interim title nonsense, ffs

You're describing the concept of lineal belts, and fight fans have been arguing about them for literally decades. Its the kind of thing that whether you care about it is directly proportional to how closely you follow the minutae of combat sports. I agree that makes it lame but that is something that has always existed and will always exist, so the only thing that the WME takeover has done to impact that is add a poo poo ton of interim belts but there are reasons I think that sucks way before I even consider their implication on linear belt continuities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I'll provisionally believe it on account of him passing the eye test.

Idk, I personally believe in the manyak (rip) position that you can't pass an eye test, you can only fail it.

• Locked thread