Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I for one cannot believe that a white guy who wears a cowboy hat with a budweiser logo, rides bulls, and listens to Kid Rock can be a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't think this guy has the mental capacity to give informed consent to a contract such as a fight bout

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

I agree, like seeing "Darren Till? Really?" this was such a loving marquee division but then lol they let go of all their talent for not being interesting enough. I'd watch a million Rory Mac fights to even one Tyron and theres no real hope in the pipeline either.

When Till made his debut I pegged him as a future star, but he didn't remain as exciting as he seemed at his debut when he lobotomized a Brazillian in Brazil, and then got the crowd on his side by talking them up in Portuguese. His only stoppage since then is against a lightweight, and in hindsight it seems as if Cerrone is well post-peak.

Like he has been winning, but... bleh. Honestly the most interesting way for this card to unfold will be if Till misses weight and Usman's "I'm training to fight Tyron and weighing in" causes drama. Plus Woodley should have no trouble decapitating Usman in the first round.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seriously are any gambling sites giving odds on Woodley knocking out Kamaru Usman on Saturday?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Conor is really good at timing punches on people who come in recklessly or don't set up their entry right, which is how he starched Aldo. This is potentially bad for Khabib, because he is not the best at striking or defense on the feet, and routinely gets tagged on entry and it almost got him in trouble against Michael Johnson (worse than Conor) and was one of the only areas Al Iaquinta (worse than Conor) had success in their fight.

On the other hand, Conor doesn't have the best gas tank, and while he had ok enough takedown defense against featherweights and is good at scrambling out when openings present themselves, but in general once he gets dumped his strategy is to stare at the ref until he gets a standup or the guy on top rushes to advance position for fear that Conor will convince the ref to stand them up, presenting an opportunity to scramble. That is why he spent so much time on the ground against Chad Mendes (much physically weaker than Khabib) and part of how he got finished by Nate Diaz (hilarious.)

There's a perceivable way either guy can win and just kind of depends on who executes their path to victory best imo. But the fight won't happen because Conor will go to that space prison the justice league puts Doomsday and Khabib's whole rear end will fall off.

This post makes me think that the Chad Mendes fight might be the best comparison on Conor's resume, and it's not one that makes me think it's winnable for him. Khabib is bigger, tougher, and better than Chad in every way except boxing techinque.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lloyd Boner posted:

Is there remotely a reason to go back and watch any of Nicco’s TUF fights?

Probably not, but one of the twitter gif guys a few days ago posted a bunch of higlights from her ammy and b-league fights where she was legitimately and terrifyingly loving girls up with slams and liver kicks. It got me like 3% hype.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Wonder what the consequences would've been if he'd missed, usually it makes it a non-title fight doesn't it? That would've robbed Till

Noooo!!

Woodley would have been stripped and Till would have been eligible to win the title if he beat Woodley. A comparable thing happened with Holloway-Pettis. They might have sent in Usman to fight Till for the title, as Usman was apparently cleared to fight medically and cut weight in case Till didn't make it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Untrustable posted:

Unless JDS has completely lost it, I can see him tooling up Tuivasa. If you go the distance with late career Arlovski I have to wonder about you.

Arlovski is weird becuase his chin seems somehow to have gotten better with age and I don't get it. Also his fighting style went from this complicated Freddie Roach trained footwork heavy "gonna go into boxing" poo poo into this "I'm throwing right hands over and over and gently caress defense" and he started winning fights again in his late 30s.

Heavyweight is so weird.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Darren Till landed zero significant strikes and absorbed 6.3 significant strikes per minute in his 9 minute fight against Woodley.

Carla Esparza landed zero significant strikes and absorbed 5.4 significant strikes per minute in her 15 minute fight against Suarez. (Actually, fightmetric is now giving Esparza 6 s.s.)

lol.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can only find one other title fight where a challenger is being credited with zero significant strikes and it's Rousey-Zingano, which saw neither fighter land a strike. Aldo landed one vs McGregor.

Till's performance was pretty bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't get what the gently caress is wrong with the UFC welterweight division right now. On paper it should be just on fire and super exciting. We have dudes who are scoring spinning kick KOs, who are winning fights without getting hit, guys who have submitted more people than anyone in UFC history, guys who are cutting weight down from light heavyweight ranges, motherfuckers on 8 fight UFC win streaks, (as far as I can tell, GSP has never fought anyone on an 8-fight streak of UFC wins).

If I were only following the division via Wikipedia it would probably seem totally awesome.

But holy poo poo are the top level fighters boring and the fights bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Yoel would counter him into oblivion. Bobby Knuckz would crush him. Weidman would wrestlefuck him. I'd watch him vs Rockhold though and I'd probably enjoy Fat Kelvin piecing him up.

Could have said something similar about Bobby Knuckz when he moved up to 185. "That guy who wrestled by Court McGee is moving up? Sure. Whatever."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

I think the actual line was closer to Rogan telling a heckler, "Don't gently caress with me, Hendo will knock you out and gently caress your wife." and Hendo said, "Why would I knock him out when I can just stare at him?"

Mr nice is more right

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Perhaps "gently caress Tyron Woodley" is still true, but with a new connotation

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd actually believe werdum if he said that he took tren for the boners.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't see Conor getting a sniper "he dead" one-shot KO on such a big lightweight as Khabib. Khabib has shown the ability to wade through shots from lightweight power punchers long enough to get the clinch and start destroying people. Conor has shown that he doesn't have a great gas tank.

Unless Conor puts Khabib away cold, it's going to be a very bad night for Conor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

doesn't khabib pretty much plow straight forward into punches? p sure hes going to die

Yes he does. I just think that he can survive eating that punch on the way in. If that happens, he'll get the clinch, and then make Conor pay tenfold for that one punch. After the standup happens, Conor will be too beaten up to make it happen meaningfully again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

hot take: zabit is overrated and he'll be beaten by someone who is a 2.5 to 3.5:1 underdog

About two months ago Jack Slack was going on about this, actually. There was a different FW prospect he was pointing at as being the real next thing, and was predicting that Yair and Zabit and these other flashy punks were going to get smashed up in the next time around the block.

I can't remember who he was on about, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mean Bean Machine posted:

i think it was alex volkanovski

This is it. Slack's point was that Zabit is getting jizz all over him for doing an osoto gari and a spin kick on some dude nobody has heard of, but that we have a 5-0 featherweight beat up Darren Elkins and nobody is talking about him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

threeagainstfour posted:

https://streamable.com/uhwli

The shot Whittaker gets dropped with is so fast and gnarly

When he's attacking Romero kinda fights the same way that Lesnar reacts when he gets hit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To break up the medium-effort ironicposting...

Did you guys see the video of young Khabib in a grappling tournament that was circulating about a month ago? Was sick as gently caress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure the doping pop turned him on Fabricio.

Hunt was robbed of being UFC champ. Most of the fighters who have beaten him in the UFC have popped somewhere along the line - Stipe and Blaydes are the only ones who haven't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The silver lining here is that Jon Jones is now eligible to keep his "Worst Career Move" streak intact in a year in which Conor McGregor threw a dolly through a bus window and got sued.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

literally the whitest thing you can be

Only if it's Cherokee

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zzulu posted:

Why are you even doubting this

Jon has been popped twice. He tested positive for 2 (two) post steroid cycle drugs in 2016 and has now tested positive for steroids. He didn't "unknowingly" just end up with these substances in his system, that's a bunch of horseshit. People who lived with him in college said he did steroids and an assortment of drugs as well

He is a cheater, a liar, a drunk driver and cocaine addict who almost killed a woman and an adulterer. And as we just learned, also a snitch

That he is a snitch is not new information. That's on like page 1 of JonJones.txt and well-established.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Noted clean athlete "Filthy" Tom Lawlor

I'm typically pretty critical of athletes' excuses for drug failures, but a test on the magnitude of picograms is admittedly pretty loving tiny.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

doesn't matter to me cos there shouldn't be any in his blood stream. if he tested positive for an amount that small then it just means there was a much larger amount in his body at one point. it's not like they tested him directly as a single molecule of turinabol drifted in through the window and got stuck in one of his nose hairs

Yeah I get that, but it (and the previous tests) at least adds a layer of plausibility to his claim that it was unintentional ingestion of a trace amount. I have reasonable doubt now that he intentionally ingested Turinabol, considering all of the other factors.

Basically whenever I've seen that excuse in the past I've been like "lol it would have to be loving picograms for me to start even considering that excuse..."

Well, here we are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gay Horney posted:

The guy tested positive for loving Clomid and then tested positive for a turinabol metabolite. Writing is on the loving wall.

Probably

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Noted cocaine non-user Mike Tyson

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

old.flv posted:

your opinion is dumb because conor has a history of saying crazy poo poo to hype his fights (and it works)

Lol if this was going to succeed in hyping this figh tit would have produced a ton of posts in this thread.

:downs:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I'm on board with Conor again. Ali is a scum ball social climber and it's only a matter of time until some even worse skeleton comes out of his closet. He gives me Joe Son vibes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zzulu posted:

It's not probably lol

you dont end up with post cycle steroids and regular steroids on two separate occasions because you just have bad luck rofl. Jon Jones was so amazing because he had himself pumped full of drugs

this is probably right

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Renan "Bigg Higg" Barao

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

It still shocks me how much better at fighting steroids makes you. It's not like, an edge, it's the difference between a loving world champion and washing out of the UFC in some cases (johny). Vitor deflating. Bigfoot / Hunt 1 compared to Bigfoot / Hunt 2. Steroids are really, really beneficial in this sport.

This card should be pretty good. Both Oliveiras. Lombard and leites should be stupid. Barao again having to drop back to no Wikipedia page guy. Should be fun.

I wonder if some of those declines are also part of the withdrawal from the steroids - i.e. these guys were 8/10 fighters without them, become 10/10 championship-level fighters with them, and then slide down to 6/10 because their balls are now broken.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

il serpente cosmico posted:

Old-school blood doping is also non-detectable, so long as your red blood cell count doesn't increase beyond a certain threshold. There's probably no reason to do use when you can just use EPO, though.

It looks like micro-dosing testosterone can also be non-detectable after 6 hours or so. You run into problems when your blood testosterone levels spike or increase beyond a certain threshold. The key is avoiding USADA at all costs when you know you're going to piss hot, which is why Jon Jones hid under a practice ring for 12 hours or whatever.

Old-school blood doping will also set off the tests they use to detect IVs. I'm not sure if it's possible to use all-glass setups to avoid the tests, which are looking for trace plastics as the primary indicator.

Re: IV hydration there are cases when IVs are medically necessary and superior to oral rehydration, but medical consensus is that a person who is in such condition is not medically fit to fight in a cage the next day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FishBowlRobot posted:

Bruce Buffer tore his ACL doing karaoke, so it happens.
But he’s 60 and not a professional athlete in the prime of his career who spends hours doing parkour over lion cages, jackhammering his bones, and kicking poles like Tong Po.

This post just does such a good job of summarizing why Tony Ferguson is totally awesome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Back in the day UFC was run by Joe Silva and built on a foundation of this guy is ranked 5 this guy is ranked 7 they fight. If you don't fight your opponent you're fired, The organisation is what matters. It meant you were always watching cards where up and comers fought other up and comers and established fighters were there to fight each other or people on the rise (gatekeepers etc).

Now it's "these people are marketable so were going to pit them in showcase fights and the opponent is irrelevent". The fights aren't built as contests they're built on a false premise of making STARS and a fight is a two sides contest where now one side is neglected because you have to hype your star.

It also means now fighters have the negotiating power like boxing by selling out the idea that the org is what matters, instead it's The STARS that matter.

Everyone must be a champion because champions are stars. Contenders no longer are established as true challengers for the top but to instead be a showcase for the stars. To me nothing ever expressed this worse than Kevin Lee, potential UFC champion. It came almost out of nowhere and his place in that title fight was to lose.

It's just everything is wrong and you can't feel like ooo let's see them two fight. Now it's let's see X fight and who cares what the Y is.

A concise way of putting this is that the UFC used to promote fights whereas now it promotes fighters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One other difference between now and the Tito/Chuck period is that contenders no longer come fully formed out of the hinterlands. When Matt Hughes was champ a guy like Sean Sherk could show up and make his UFC debut in a title fight and people would be like "oh ok he has been getting his fights elsewhere." It was relatively common then for the star to fight someone nobody had ever heard about because of the landscape of MMA as a whole - an unknown like that could be a world-class fighter from Japan / Iowa Barn Circuit / Brazil.

Today not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bisping vs Silva was a good performance if you ignore the 3 seconds in which he stopped fighting to have a conversation with Herb Dean.

McGregor's stopping ability seems less to be about raw power and more about accuracy and timing. Abel Trujillo, Micheal Johnson, and Edson Barboza hit100% harder than McGregor, and maybe even Ragin' Al and RDA do too, but they're actually pretty poor comparisons for Mac vs Khabib. I don't see anyone on Khabib's resume who fights like a rangy sniper.

(Anderson Silva, when he punches, is probably the best comparison to McGregor - long straight southpaw strikes which typically cause guys to whither and cover up - Silva vs Okami and Forrest e.g.)

If McGregor wins it'll probably look a lot like Henderson vs Silva - he gets battered until something gets through and turns the tide of the fight and then never lets up. If Khabib wins it'll probably look a lot like Khabib vs Johnson. I picked Khabib TKO4 in goonweight fwiw.

• Locked thread