Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Man watching this game is depressing even after the Fire got the opening goal in the 3rd min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
lolrlando

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Well that brighten things up.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

In case you were wondering if Orlando might actually keep a clean sheet today: lolno

Goal #2 was hilarious, although I thought Chicago might actually miss it.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Good

I like James “James” O’Connor a lot but I hope Chicago goes ham on Orlando. They need it bad.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I should run a pool on how many of the players and coaches on these teams don't have jobs next year.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Lol that Orlando's FO said the most important thing they wanted from a new coach was for them to get the team into the playoffs.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TwoStepBoog posted:

Lol that Orlando's FO said the most important thing they wanted from a new coach was for them to get the team into the playoffs.

More USL coaches should get chances in MLS, but, um, there's a reason they had to go to a USL coach after firing Kreis.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

TwoStepBoog posted:

Do they have even a quasi-realistic path? Other than just going bugfuck crazy scoring four goals a game and hoping their defense sooooorta holds up?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Do they have even a quasi-realistic path? Other than just going bugfuck crazy scoring four goals a game and hoping their defense sooooorta holds up?

This was Chicago’s plan and when that didn’t work anymore, they went to Plan B: Play Bastian Schweinsteiger at Centerback.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

Halftime now,

Fire 2 - 0 Orlando

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I’m no soccer expert, but Orlando should work on their marking in the box imo.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
WHY IS SANCHEZ IN GOAL AGAIN

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

lol dwyer

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

paddyboat posted:

WHY IS SANCHEZ IN GOAL AGAIN

Because he's probably an even worse forward :v:

He did good there on that Dwyer breakaway though

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

5 goals away from beating Minnesota's goals conceded record from last year.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

No, they're 8 away (66 vs. MIN's 74). Nevermind, reading fail on my end.

If they concede 20 more (wouldn't put it past them) they'll beat '01 Tampa for the worst GAA of 2.52.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 17, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I want to hug and kiss BWP.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Seeing OCSC get shithoused warms the cockles of my heart.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

5 goals away from beating Minnesota's goals conceded record from last year.
Wait...Season One Chivas USA doesn't hold that record?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

According the wiki page

70 GA
Minnesota - 2017
Rapids - 1998
Tampa Bay - 2001
Miami Fusion - 1998
LA Galaxy - 2017
Chivas - 2013
Chivas - 2005

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So I actually started tracking this sort of thing after Minnesota's record season.

1998 Colorado - 71 goals in 32 games, 2.22 GAA (most goals conceded; not sure where 69 comes from, went through Colorado's schedule multiple times and I keep getting 71). 4 shutouts.
2001 Tampa - 68 goals in 27 games, 2.52 GAA (highest GAA). 2 shutouts.
2005 Chivas - 67 goals in 32 games, 2.09 GAA. 3 shutouts.
2017 Minnesota - 70 goals in 34 games, 2.06 GAA (most goals conceded post-shootout). 5 shutouts.

2018 Orlando - 66 goals in 28 games, 2.36 GAA. 1 shutout.

Orlando could easily beat all of those numbers.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 17, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly that just makes all the preseason predictions of them having a great rebuild hilarious.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The first 10 games of the year they had 6 wins, 3 losses, and a tie. That's a pretty good start to the year, they just fell off a cliff after that. Their next 10 games were 1 win and 9 losses.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I don't mean to alarm you all, but soccer is on tonight.

Will Toronto show the continent that the MLS can stand toe-to-toe with LigaMX?
Will any Crew players defect in Portland before their forced relocation to Austin?
Can the Sounders win streak hit double digits?
Should you bet the over on Atlanta-San Jose?

No, doubt it, my gut says this ends in a draw, god yes

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Toronto game is a glorified friendly, right? And all the other games are on after my bedtime, gently caress the west coast

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Has anyone in the league said why the games are starting so late tonight?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

I assumed it was so they don't conflict with Toronto's glorified friendly

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

binge crotching posted:

Well they start at 7:30 or 8pm local time which seems reasonable to me

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
I can't imagine watching a game that ends at 1am on a Wednesday, that's crazy. Luckily I won't ever have to. West Coast superiority.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Ah yes watching every big live event really early or on tape delay is worth it to watch San Jose at 8pm

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

The Toronto game is a glorified friendly, right? And all the other games are on after my bedtime, gently caress the west coast

I mean yes it's basically a cross-border Charity Shield but whatever, MLS v Liga MX games are fun (I like the idea of just making the ASG into that if it must exist) and I'll turn it on as background noise.

(that said, big picture I'd rather they put actual effort behind marketing the CCL. Doesn't SUM have a deal with CONCACAF? It feels like a lot of effort duplication going on.)

camoseven posted:

Well they start at 7:30 or 8pm local time which seems reasonable to me

Yeah, aren't they all West Coast games except Toronto's? Looks like.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC's friendly with Olimpia tonight is starring all back benchers and Richmond Kickers, and they're selling very nice seats for like $6. This is basically an outreach to brown people, which is cool, and a make-good on a connection from Luciano Emilio, which is also cool.

I'm not going though. I don't think many people are. So if you live in the District and want to check out the gilded shithole in Southwest whilst having a decent pupusa (they're not the best in town, but they're rather good), you could do worse.

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
I remember some noise from Timbers FO that they wanted late home games so there's not a sunset shadow on the pitch for television. Which is a bad reason.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

7pm is the usual evening start time, not 8pm. It just feels really weird, but I guess it was so none of them would conflict with the friendly

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

it's a real trophy, guys

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It’s on tv and hell imma watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm loving the officiating crew not giving a poo poo.

• Locked thread