Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

This is so cool! Doolittle literally offered up 10k to a charity of any players choice that hit a homer off of him and gave the most insane bat flip ever up to and including pretending the bat was a bazooka and firing it at the sky.

He seriously offered to match any fine MLB put out in the name of "stop making fun things not fun, and I will send it to charity to make fun more fun even at my expense not only money wise but even if I'm the pitcher who gives up the homer".

Probably the best baseball story I have heard this year, not even a Nationals fan but dang! I think he is doing more to promote MLB then MLB is at this point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It was a joke. He literally can't promote things like that. (Doolittle owns, though).

He can't and isn't allowed but have you seen the other stuff he has promoted? Seems like a pretty good guy I think?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

bewbies posted:

whit merrifield will win over the nation of japan with his rugged good looks and above average hitting

This is a big statement but I do love Whitley, so that's rough!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

Stealing this from the NBA thread since it's interesting. Home field advantage in the four major American team sports:

Tom Gorman posted:

Seeing the Nuggets far and away above the rest is pretty much what I expected. The altitude advantage in basketball is no joke. A few years back they were something absurd like 38-3 at home, 19-22 on the road.

It usually takes a few days to adjust to the altitude, and by that time their opponents are on a bus headed back out of town. Also pretty much nothing the league can do about it.

See also: Rockies, the only team that bridged the different sports gap (barely). I forget who it was from a visiting baseball team a couple of weeks or so ago that straight up got removed from the lineup because of altitude sickness in Denver.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Whit Merrifield, home run champion of the universe.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Good Dog posted:

It turns out everything we knew about bat flips was wrong and this might actually be the first real bat flip.

https://twitter.com/khash27/status/1039134442550222850

Yeah huge difference there. Bautista just stares off for a second, flips, and it was totally cool. I have no problem with guys looking for a second at a well hit ball or checking to see if they go yard or giving it a heat of the moment flip.

That other guy though stood there I think until after it landed, waited, then threw his bat as high as he could, jogged as slow as he possibly could, then shoulder checked the catcher on the way home to top it off. That wasn't very cool.

I'm not one of those "play the game the right way" people, and think bat flips and high energy celebrations are cool, but this guy seemed like he was just trying to be a dick.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

iospace posted:

Brandon McCarthy retires with 69 wins and 4.20 ERA.

Also Brandon McCarthy:
https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/245603427315486721
(it's his pinned tweet :psyduck:)

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Doesn't McCarthy have a model wife or something?

Ya and she does the same "gives no fucks and posts with no filter on twitter to get laughs" thing he does, such as that above post. They even collaborate often. I don't actually follow anyone on twitter so I don't know what they have been up to but in the past I remember both of them being pretty funny.

bewbies posted:

I was excited to discover today that Lorenzo Cain has been the best OF in the NL this year. This pleases as he is a cool dude.

Very cool dude indeed.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Janana posted:

N: The Diamondbacks are 4.5 games out on September 13th.

V: The avatar says it all, really, but against future changes:

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us

It's like they saw the light at the end of the tunnel and decided to slam it into reverse.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also for posterity: I'm still mad they didn't re-sign JDM.

There was almost no chance they were going to or be able to spend that kind of money.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Janana posted:

For the peanut gallery, this is what happens when Yankee fans momentarily forget that they have the payroll of three other MLB franchises combined in slush money and that other teams, inexplicably, do not.

Also, there's rumors that the Diamondbacks matched the average annual value the Red Sox gave our pal Just Dingers Martinez, but only on a one-year deal. Guess where he wanted to go instead?

Big market teams fans mad that smaller market teams didn't have the money to buy players and now they have to face them vs other big market teams. Imagine a world where teams had an equal chance and couldn't just throw money at things to win? I know, it's spooky!!!

I'm only half joking.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Arizona's payroll in 2018 is $141,645,487, that's more than $50,000,000 under the tax threshold. They could have easily afforded to pay JDM to be on that team.

Also the Yankees are intentionally hamstringing themselves to stay under $197m this season so yelling about how they're so profligate is some img-timeline poo poo.

You realize not every team has unlimited money and the only thing holding them back from spending infinity dollars is the luxury tax like the Yankees right? I mean... right?

Yankees, Dodgers, etc. having a ton of money is the reason the tax is there, it's not a bar set for every team to try to obtain and walk that thin line of almost paying the most even if they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

D-backs won the last 2 over the Dodgers, and the Rockies beat up on Philly tonight 14-0.

That puts the Rockies in first in the NL West by half a game, and Dodgers to the 2nd wild card spot after the Brewers with Cards just behind.

The NL West, Central, and Wild Card is still keeping it interesting!

• Locked thread