Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Braves are promoting Kyle Wright as they strive to be the team that promotes ALL OF THEIR PROSPECTS in a season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Tucker would be ineligible for the postseason?
Right, it's just a depth move for the last month

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Padres are calling up Francisco Mejia

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like the vast majority of the time where there is a strain (which I am understood to mean is still a minor tear), rehab doesn't seem to work

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Sorry to double post but Rosenthal is reporting that some teams are pissed about the Donaldson trade, but I don't have an Athletic subscription, alas.
This ESPN article clarifies the concerns

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24633842/circumstances-cleveland-indians-acquisition-josh-donaldson-draws-ire-multiple-teams

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BasicFunk posted:

Toronto and Baltimore are worse than the Mets and Marlins.
Which amazes me because the Marlins have fielded a AAA roster all year and then traded even more guys

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm really confused how this A's team has 90 wins.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JoeCL posted:

AAA is split between the PCL and the International league. I assume that which league each team is in is based on some combination of legacy of the pre-affiliated days and weird baseball nonsense.

Edit: I checked and all the International league teams are in the US lol.
At one point there was a AAA team in Calgary, Alberta (Canada)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

Remember when the Marlins had baseball's best outfield and traded it all away for peanuts?
Kinda hard to forget when I keep seeing Yelich for MVP articles this month

The saddest part is that on paper, the Marlins got their best return out of all the guys they dumped for Yelich. The problem is Brinson has been awful (and will basically have to keep getting ABs because there is no one else), and the other top prospects they received like Monte Harrison have not looked good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Accident Underwater posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBStatoftheDay/status/1044409716703727616?s=19

The As somehow had an opening day payroll $20 million below the Marlins
$13 million of that was them eating Edinson Volquez's 2018 contract

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol yes they “lucked” into the best record over a three year stretch in the entire MLB.

Anyway there was a good Deadspin article last week on the bad side of Moneyball, and the deleterious effects on the fans that repeated sell-offs and refusal to sign fan favorites to long term deals has - https://deadspin.com/oakland-as-fans-love-their-team-but-dont-trust-its-own-1828871835
Yeah it’s the same problem we have in Miami. Nobody believes any of the players will be around more than 3-4 years before they get shipped out and it’s hard to sustain interest that way with fans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1045673667223588866?s=21

Not a lot of details on what this is about, but apparently some people involved with the signing of Hector Olivera have been subpoenaed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I used to read a lot on the scouting and signing of Latin players and it was all usually horrible poo poo. Is it still really bad?
MLB has done some reform but it’s still pretty wild in most places

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/britt_ghiroli/status/1045786835912466438?s=21

Amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Yankees are one homer shy of tying the Mariners’ record for most home runs in a season by one team.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last two are Cool and Good, the others no

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yankees still suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Very fitting that the Marlins did not score in their last 24 innings of the year

• Locked thread