Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Epic High Five posted:

Barves get Preston Tucker back from Reds for a player with a funny name, Cash Considerations, must be like an old school puritan name like Telling Goodfellow or something

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Tucker would be ineligible for the postseason?

I think there's some way you could backdoor him in if there's an injury? But yeah, I'd assume so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Timby posted:

I'm almost positive that any player acquired after August 31, regardless of injury considerations, is automatically ineligible for the postseason, injury or not. For some reason I feel this happened to Bill Mueller one year.

Yeah, going back to look over the rules, it looks like otherwise ineligible minor league players can replace someone that gets injured, which might be what I was thinking of.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Epic High Five posted:

most or all of this is just since the all-start break iirc

His first game at leadoff was the first game after the all-star break, so yeah.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

marioinblack posted:

The Rays would be tied for 1st in the NL East and NL West.

Ah well, at least they're awesome.

Yeah, but those divisions aren't propped up by the AL Central :colbert:

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers just beat the Reds 8-1, ending the series with a perfect encapsulation of the season. They lost 2 of 3 to a garbage team, while outscoring them 15-14.

That's pretty amazing.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Jonny Venters is so awesome considering he came back from THREE tommy Johns and is still 99 percent as effective as he was in 2012

I'm so happy that he made it back to MLB after all he went through and is pitching great, even happier that the Braves were able to trade for him with essentially nothing.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
We're getting close to the postseason, so I'm curious: is anyone using a DNS unblocker to bypass MLB.TV blackouts this year? I used Ad-Free Time last year, but it was no longer working for that purpose at the start of the season.

I want my options open, especially since I don't get MLB Network and would rather not be forced into a dumb bootleg stream or have to setup a full-blown international VPN.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

JoeCL posted:

The Nats just swept the Phillies to kill their chances at the playoffs, Juan Soto hit 3 home runs to put him number 3 on the list of most home runs in a season as a teenager and owns the highest OPS in a season as a teenager. But all that I will remember from this series is this:

https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/1040039791549661185

The replay had a real nice angle of this. It's amazing.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Intruder posted:

So the top seed gets the WC winner no matter what and not the team with the worst record?

Yep. Wild Cards are seeded as 4/5 and the LDS match-ups are set before the Wild Card game is played with <Wild Card> @1 and 3@2.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Braves reinstate Vizcaino, he had been 60'd so is he postseason eligible?

"For a player to be eligible for the postseason active roster, he must have either been on his club's expanded roster or disabled list as of midnight ET on August 31 of that year and not placed on the 60 day disabled list after August 1."

Technically he was moved to the 60 day DL on September 1, but I assume that the date that matters is when his DL time started, which was back in July.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
e: Wrong thread rear end in a top hat.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

the popes toes posted:

If the Cards and the Dodgers improbably remain tied for the WC I guess we get one extra post season game? Has that ever happened?

Well, technically it would be one extra regular season game. It happened in 2013 when the Rays beat the Rangers to advance to the Wild Card game, and of course it's happened several times for division and wild card tiebreakers before the wild card game was added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_tie-breakers

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Popete posted:

Assuming they added 1 team to each league in an expansion how would that be handled divisionally? I guess just throw them both in whatever division makes the most sense geographically?

There are a bunch of different ways they could handle it and they are almost all bad. Most likely is probably 4 divisions per league with 4 teams each.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They very recently had a 6 team division, I dont think it would be much of an issue

And it was very dumb at the time, which is one reason why there isn't one anymore.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Dutchy posted:

nah, there's also the International League

according to Wikipedia the PCL took on a bunch of teams when the American Association folded in the 90s, which is why there are more PCL teams in the central time zone than the pacific time zone

It's also worth noting that, while Nashville is the Eastern-most team in the PCL, it'd be pretty close to the Western-most team in the IL, as crazy as that sounds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Carillon posted:

Man take your terrible takes somewhere else, like a few ok hitting pitchers doesn't mean it's good to have them out there hitting.

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gonna own when Atlanta has the worst record in the NL playoffs and watches the other four teams burn pitchers in Game 163.

This will own.

• Locked thread