Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Think it happened with Cecil Fielder once?

The only logic I have for this not happening with Pujols is that Pujols has to get to second in order to chug along to third. Isn't he the slowest runner in the majors by like, a WIDE margin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Your Taint posted:

Would there be as long of a recovery time for his TJS if he just DH'ed?

Well position players have like 3-6 months less recovery time iirc. So... maybe not?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The new market inefficiency is market inefficiency.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Craptacular! posted:

A call-up destroyed his neck tripping on the mounds so so maybe they’ll realize that the space under the big screen has better uses than people eating crab sandwiches amongst the kale.

I’m not super impressed that the A’s ownership has managed to pull off incredible margins into their pocket while also able to fend off fan complaints. I don’t hate them but to me being that far below CBT just looks greedy.

I still haven't figured out why the Rays get hosed over on attendance every year despite being decent-to-good almost every year, while the As have a cavernous stadium where the dugouts flood with shitwater and yet people still clamor for them. I want to know what sort of weird fanbase/market sorcery does that. "Small" market baseball is weird.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sure there is, just drive 40 minutes from Tampa in rush hour traffic across a 12-mile bridge.

Takes me about 40 minutes to get to a White Sox game. But of course I’m a block from a brown line stop which means I don’t even have to look at my car let alone drive it. (Also a mile walk to Wrigley. drat I love this city.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I can't think of a baseball movie that ever talked about winning the World Series. It's always winning the pennant or GETTING to the WS or something. Making Moneyball into a "bad story" because it doesn't talk about a "winning" team is... sort of silly, because all the mythologizing we do is rooted in winning the division/league. For some reason. If I had to guess it's because some degree of admission that the playoffs are a crapshoot sort of cheapens the dramatic effect. Plus if you get into the playoffs, you start with the assumption that you've already built a "winning" team, and so from there you can only go on to winning the whole thing, which is a story anyone could tell.

The whole point was telling a story that was novel and a different outlook on standard sports methodology. Nobody wants to read "we bought up all the dudes that crush home runs and pitchers that prevent home runs with our massive budget and rode that into the sunset." That could be any number of World Series winners from the live ball era. It's a story about running things differently and being good at it, not about winning The Big Game.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: Also the Rays and A's this year credit should go to the players and managers who succeeded in spite of, or at the very least not becuase of the FOs.

Which was, of course, the point of Major League.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

oh good that's going to bring closure for everyone.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Twenty Four posted:

D-backs won the last 2 over the Dodgers, and the Rockies beat up on Philly tonight 14-0.

That puts the Rockies in first in the NL West by half a game, and Dodgers to the 2nd wild card spot after the Brewers with Cards just behind.

The NL West, Central, and Wild Card is still keeping it interesting!

I think this as close to Chaos Ball as we're getting this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Also also I am like 99% sure Mauer is retiring at the end of the year. He got pulled in the sixth after ripping a single to get on base for the third time and was really just taking in the ovation he was getting from the crowd, which isn't a very Mauer thing to do normally.

I keep reading this and it keeps being sad. I'd love for him to replace Molitor as manager, though.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back for a couple years on a much reduced contract for the much-vaunted "veteran presence." And it's not like he's ever leaving Minnesota anyway.

edit: As for Ted, the best thing he ever did was continually give the finger to the rest of the owners when it came to... basically everything. Every time he comes up in Lords of the Realm is magical.

• Locked thread