Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Yoan Moncada hit a home run against the Red Sox in a game Michael Kopech was pitching while Chris Sale was on the disabled list. White Sox fans have to take their victories where they can find them. Next up: Eloy Jimenez hitting a bomb off of Quintana next year in the crosstown series while Cease gets the save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Wait are they moving him to the pen? When he was with the Cubs him becoming a closer was considered a fall back if he couldn't develop his changeup enough to play as a third pitch.

He just has an innings limitation. They already shut him down for this year. I'd be surprised if he made the rotation next year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

Post about cool September callups IMO

Giants called up Chris Shaw, 1B/bad defensive OF who strikes out too much but has maybe the most raw power of any Giants prospect. Played in his first MLB game last night.

Everyone I thought would be a September callup to watch for the Cardinals this year is either already starting in the outfield or anchoring our rotation/bullpen. :shrug:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

A workplace maintains a dress code and the forum for 4,000 pound pony-tailed IT guys goes ape poo poo at the very thought.

Sorry but you don’t win 27 rings by being a slob. Dress and groom yourself professionally.

The only reason I wear a suit and tie (or pants, for that matter) is that I’d get held in contempt of court if I didn’t.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Oh, his entire broadcast that game was awful. I didn’t go to the game because I can’t stand him. I’m glad he’s leaving.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Lucky for all involved that they traded away O'Neill.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
*Looks at forecast, sees rain*

Yep, time for another Kopech home start.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Pancakes posted:

*Looks at forecast, sees rain*

Yep, time for another Kopech home start.

:smug:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

slev posted:

Didn't the cardinals put some guy in left field that couldn't throw and have him basically underhand it to the relay guy? Just do that with Ohtani so he can always play.

Grichuk had a hurt arm in 2015. They played him CF and he was under instructions to underhand the ball to Heyward in RF to get it back into the infield.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Yeesh, first Ohtani now this. MLB just can't have anything nice these days.

Plus Reyes last year. The world is a vampire.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Adam Wainwright is starting tonight. Over/Under on 3 innings pitched?

If it were Matheny he’d leave him out there stubbornly for 5.2. I think he probably goes 3.1 tonight.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Yadi is a great representative for the game internationally and amps up his celebrations to match the venue. This could be very fun.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I love that the guy who got a marketing deal for his salsa isn't any of the many Hispanic players, but arguably the whitest guy on the team.

Beaten to the Bud Norris post, but I do think the story of Adam Wainwright planting a surprise garden in Carp’s backyard and Carp making magical dinger salsa from the results is adorable.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iKickDogs posted:

I wanted to put a number on how bad the Orioles are. If I wanted to get into division talk, I'd have done this:

NL Central :whatup:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

degrom's season reminds me of those couple of years Maddux had where he was just absolutely unhittable and even a fantastic statline would cause his ERA to go up because his ERA was like 1.5 something.

The difference is Maddux went like 20-2 or something both of those years

I mean, Bob Gibson lost 9 in 1968 with a 1.12 ERA. That loving season...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

the popes toes posted:

Mookie beard status: random dude at the comic book store

I was at a comic store today (it's Wednesday, after all) and I didn't see any beards nearly as sad as Mookie's.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

I'll be at Busch this weekend with a Dodgers fan and another Pirates fan.

Secretly... sort of rooting for the Cards since I'd like to see the Rockies win the West as I am a fan of Arenado, German Marquez, and Ottavino

I also give the Brewers my blessing to beat the Pirates this weekend because if they snatch the division from the Cubs the weeping and gnashing of teeth will be as music to these ears

Have fun, check out the City Museum, for the love of god don’t eat at Imo’s.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Wow, thank you Blue Jays.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really confused how this A's team has 90 wins.

Can I be a typical egotistical Cardinals fan and say it's the good karma from the Piscotty trade?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

He just turned 22 a week ago. :toot:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They very recently had a 6 team division, I dont think it would be much of an issue

Don't lie, when the NL Central had 6 teams we always had at least one team that belonged in AAA.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
YADIBOMB

E: gently caress, not the GDT. Still, I stand by my post.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I don't know if the minor league team in the city would be a problem, though, are there any cities that have both minor and major league teams?

Tampa?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Bird in a Blender posted:

Chicago has two major league teams and 4 minor/independent league teams in the suburbs so it can definitely be pulled off.

Yeah, but White Sox fans have such an inferiority complex.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Epic High Five posted:

No playoffs, two best records. Let's say it's this year, what two teams play?

If we went by old rules, Red Sox/Cubs. If we went by two best records in all of baseball it's Red Sox/Yankees.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

Would be nice for the Mariners to have a PNW team to travel to, they have by far the most travel time of any team every year, iirc

Edited to add, yea Statcast tracks this -- 2018 MLB Travel Schedule

Midwest superiority.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

Bregman rather dislikes the current occupant of the white house

Same with McHugh, for what it's worth.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Piscotty wins the local media Good Guy award for the year.
V: Please keep treating him well, Oakland.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I grew up with my dad telling me stories about seeing the abuse my grandfather doled out against him and my grandmother. Cut him now, ban him from baseball.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 21, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ChiTownEddie posted:

hahaha. But yeah, it is 100% going in the donation box when I get home from work.
Also if/when the Cubs make the playoffs I'm going to have to do an Russell hit donation along with the Murphy one now.

RAINN is one of my go-to charities, as a reminder to the thread.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Shinjobi posted:

Joe Maddon makes my dislike of him so easy, it's impressive

The one bad thing about Schildt versus Matheny or even LaRussa is that I am certain he won’t take a swing at Maddon. LaRussa gave no fucks and Matheny may have been a concussed, bullpen-abusing red-assed Jesus freak but that man could probably have torn Maddon’s head off without breaking a sweat.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Im happy to root for an upstanding bunch of guys who respect women and minorities. And bud norris too

Don’t forget Patrick Wisdom, who constantly retweets Trump and wears Curt Flood’s number. :sigh:

E: Or Michael Wacha’s past homophobic tweets. The whole world sucks, is my point.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 21, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Crosspost from the GDT: Make Tyler O'Neill play every game shirtless, tia.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1043601621958025217

https://twitter.com/HallErik/status/1043597264529305601

Tyler O'Neill is very large and very Canadian

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

jit bull transpile posted:

The nl central has 3 teams with records better than the leaders in the other divisions. The nl central is head and shoulders above the other division champs

While I agree the Central is the best division, the Cards are (I think) 1 game back of Atlanta

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Tim Anderson on Joe West: "Everybody knows he's terrible."

:hai:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Today is the last Hawk Harrelson broadcast of all time. :toot:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

fawning deference posted:

Carpenter has an outside shot.

Not how he’s been playing the last 3 weeks, he doesn’t.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

i still can't loving handle the fact that there's a lovely relief pitcher named Aaron Bummer, easily the best named sox reliever since Putz. My dad still has a Putz shirsey because that might be his favorite word and no i don't care how putz pronounces his name

It's really perfect and I've been giggling about it all season. The Sox this year have been a little microverse of fun poo poo like that, Matt Davidson's desire to be a two-way player and Yolmer's general adorableness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

While this was fun, Hawk on Angel Hernandez is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbvoNodswMU

• Locked thread