Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mon2ter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Today's Jacob deGrom update: 7 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 9 K, L. He's now 8-9, and B-R has him at 8.1 WAR not including today's outing.

in the most literal sense of this word, this is one of the most remarkable pitching seasons in history

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone in this thread remember addison russell
https://twitter.com/Cubs_Live/status/1039710394619715585

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/1040064216009531392

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1040630889456324608

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

iospace posted:

The one thing the NFL does right is that each team gets an equal share of TV deal* and merch sale money, except the Cowboys keep their own merch sale money (and also doesn't go into the pool) because Jerry thinks the Cowboys are still relevant and selling a lot of merch (to be fair, they sort of are for the second part). I think ticket sales stay with the teams though, not sure.

Salary caps, however, exist so the owners don't have to spend money. They don't create parity, especially when players are willing to take pay cuts for a good chance at a ring.

*NFL TV deals are a bit different from the other sports, to be fair, since RSNs don't carry the NFL.

baseball should absolutely never have a full salary cap if only to spare us the horror of what would happen when baseball stat nerds combined with Dunc'd On-style Cap Knowers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if a sports team owner is worried about payroll cutting into their baseball profits, he or she is fully welcome to invest in the thousands and thousands of other ways for already obscenely rich people to make money and leave sports ownership to people who actually want to win games

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't believe a person is named walker buehler

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

remember that the brewers got an MVP for free because of derek jeter

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Tim Anderson on Joe West: "Everybody knows he's terrible."

:hai:

tim anderson is right

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Stretch Run Hendricks is incredible

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i still can't loving handle the fact that there's a lovely relief pitcher named Aaron Bummer, easily the best named sox reliever since Putz. My dad still has a Putz shirsey because that might be his favorite word and no i don't care how putz pronounces his name

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

for my money, the funniest MLB Name this season is still Jake Cave

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

happy Hawk Harrelson Liberation Day

He Gone

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hawk's greatest moment https://twitter.com/HawleySports/status/889946892980957184

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Why can't I find a video of him saying "You're dadgum right this game is being played under protest"

i was just thinking about this game today too, the tribune headline was somehow allowed to be "call of the wild (play): brutal"
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2007-06-25-0706240424-story.html

quote:

Harrelson thought the umpires might call a triple play. After the umpires did just the opposite, Harrelson said: "I've never seen anything like that in my whole career, as a player coming up in Little League to D-ball to C-ball to A-ball to Triple A to the big leagues.

"This is absolute B.S. There should be two out and a man on second. And they've got the bases loaded and no out. Dadgum right this game's going to be played under protest."

After a replay showed Uribe's collision with Pagan, Harrelson said: "Anytime I've ever seen an obstruction play, they call a dead ball. A dead ball means that everything stops right there."

But in this case, everything was just getting started.

shoutout to felix pie

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it might interest this thread to know that the cubs just got bartmanned to cost them the nl central

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine how terrifying it is to catch a legal foul ball at wrigley that a cub had a chance at while being acutely aware that the last guy who did it literally had to flee the country

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am glad the conversation has turned back to the DH argument instead of pointing out my horrifying and embarrassing cubsposting

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Hating garbage people regretfully employed by your team is a proud NL Central bonding point this year. See also Josh Hader, Bud Norris, Daniel Murphy, Addison Russell.

jung ho kang

the only pure team is cincinnati and that is because no one even knows who is on their team other than like three guys

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

brewers/braves is going to be one hell of an NLCS

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Man, Orioles. Chris Davis hit 53 homers in 2013 and 47 in 2015, and got signed to a huuuge contract. He got $23 million this year and is guaranteed $23 million for the next four seasons.

He hit .168 and slugged .296 this season. Hit 16 homers and struck out 192 times. He is 32 years old now.

Holy loving poo poo

maybe chris davis can buy the orioles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs just guaranteed an extra game before the wild card since the brewers will kill them tomorrow. Yelich is bonds.

• Locked thread