Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I wish I could watch this live, at least it'll be up on NJPW fairly soon afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Caught up on the show and man it was a blast. The sudden "GOODBYE FOLKS!" at the end did feel a little rushed but the matches were good to great and it was so cool seeing how much fun EVERYBODY involved in the show was having.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

Oh also, is this the first time Jericho has showed up at a major US show? Wasn't his deal with Vince (or at least his own self-made commitment) that he wouldn't work shows in the US, just overseas? I thought that was part of the reason he didn't work the NJPW US shows, aside from also being on tour at the time. Does this signify some kind of turning point in his boomerang career in WWE?

I don't think he ever made a deal, I just think it was a personal thing where he didn't want to gently caress over his relationship with Vince because that was the guy/company he wanted to work with. Obviously something has changed over recent times, though he still talks every so often about chatting with Vince so I'd assume his personal relationship at least with him is still solid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I just hope that they are able to look at things objectively in the end. I am really curious what people like Dave and Bryan say about the show when they break down every single match. Having actually made money off the weekend with his Starrcast stuff, are we going to get a glowing review of the entire show? Bryan already said that it was the most memorable show he has ever been to, whatever that means. Like, I can't imagine Dave and Bryan breaking the show down match by match and being as picky as they do for WWE matches. Like, will it even come up that Cody was laying outside the ring for a whole 5 minutes while Aldis just stood there?

They recapped the show last night and went through each of the matches, and specifically brought up that whole bit with Cody lying outside the mat. They kept referencing how a lot of stuff that wouldn't normally work absolutely did because of the context in which it took place, and Bryan basically summed it up as,"You can get anything/anybody over if you just do it simply and give people what they actually want to see."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

There is a risk, however, that if you rely on that goodwill to get you over more than actually delivering an entertaining match, eventually this audience is going to turn on you. Basically, Cody can pull that card once in a while to get some juice out of a nothing match, but he can't do it all the time.

That's true, but he gave the crowd exactly what they wanted to see last night, and I don't think that's a bad thing. That was the most important and valuable the NWA title has looked in years and having Cody repping it around the world/in New Japan/on Being the Elite is at least a sign that there might be some legs to the whole shambolic operation after all.

How the rest of his reign goes remains to be seen, and whether he can sustain interest in it, but I don't think I can really criticize him for reading the crowd right and giving them a match where obstacles kept appearing in the way of his destiny and the crowd willed his entourage along to give every bit of help they could to help him achieve his dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edge & Christian: It's a good thing JFK was shot here, because if he'd had to be in Dallas another day he would have killed himself!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HisFlyingFingers posted:

(Okada's kickouts are mind-blowing; I knew he'd win but the near falls got me anyway).

Seriously, I can't count how many times I've gone into a match KNOWING that he is going to win, and still absolutely buying into the false finishes every drat time.

Also yeah, that Cody/Aldis match was technically nothing special but goddamn if the crowd didn't help make it feel like the biggest possible deal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite thing about Pentagon is that guys he wrestle inevitably think,"Zero fear eh? Well we'll see about that!" and then discover that holy poo poo the guy really isn't loving scared of anything

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

It was amazing being there live. It was one of the coolest wrestling related things I've done in my entire life.

I did Wrestle Kingdom and that was utterly amazing, and it made me think I should really do a Wrestlemania one of these years, but after ALL IN I'm thinking that would have been the better show to attend live.

Man I really should have gone to WM30 in New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

usually marty's good about going under 18

Jenkem Delivery posted:

J-Ru close the thread it's not getting any better than this

• Locked thread