Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*
I'm still a little giddy. I went to the show with my best friend, who I introduced to wrestling about a year ago, and another friend who was a very casual fan until I roped him into more regular viewing. For the record, I don't watch ROH or much indie stuff, and I don't actually care for Being The Elite, but I was loosely familiar with everybody on the card.

The show was loving incredible. I can definitely see how it would've come off poorly in spots if you were watching from home, but the atmosphere in the arena was nuts. Case in point: I know objectively that Cody vs. Aldis was a mediocre match, but it might've been my favorite match of the night. The old school, big fight trappings drew me in, and I bought in hard for all the overbooking. The pop when Cody won destroyed my voice and made the building shake.

Omega/Penta lived up to the hype, which is saying a ton. Okada/Scurll had a fantastic ending (Okada's kickouts are mind-blowing; I knew he'd win but the near falls got me anyway). The six-man did feel rushed, but for a lucha spotfest it was exactly what I wanted in the moment. I peed and got a beer during Lethal/Flip, because gently caress Flip, but Lanny Poffo and the Brandi-as-Elizabeth spots were fun. Neither of my friends knew anything about Joey Ryan besides seeing occasional gifs on Twitter, so I got to watch them slowly go from "What is this? Why is this happening?" to "I don't care why this is happening, it's amazing." Everything else on the card gave us something to care about and be invested in; nothing felt pointless or boring. Obviously MJF vs. Cross was the weakest match, but it came early enough that the crowd could still get into the spots and enjoy it for what it was.

I'll watch it all back when its on NJPW world, and probably cringe at all the same stuff you all criticized, but I don't expect to ever see a better live show short of booking a flight to Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

VJeff posted:

I mean.

Not to dump on All In or anything, but.

What're you doing in four weeks and how far are you from Long Beach?

Lone Goat posted:

The next NXT Takeover is in LA and is guaranteed to not have Cody on it, so uhhhhhh....

I live in Ohio, and was only barely able to scrape together the money for All In, so California isn't really in the cards. I'm not saying there won't be a better show somewhere—just that I won't be at it, because I'm generally broke and all the other potentially amazing shows are more expensive and/or farther away.

• Locked thread