Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Joining 8th division staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
More seriously, sign me up as a staff officer for 4th Division!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Okay, so looking closer at the map, the 14th is across the river from a fortified area. Clearly the best choice is a direct assault across the river while under what I assume would be heavy fire.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Ice Fist posted:

Okay, so looking closer at the map, the 14th is across the river from a fortified area. Clearly the best choice is a direct assault across the river while under what I assume would be heavy fire.

It is worth noting that Alfuego is not held by Romano. It is still held by Awfulia.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Volunteering for opfor. I also dug out a spare ATG key if one is desired by my fellow opfor officers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I’ll go for 15th division staff position please.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

habituallyred posted:

Volunteering for opfor. I also dug out a spare ATG key if one is desired by my fellow opfor officers.

I would love one!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
OPFOR

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'd like to be a staff officer wherever things seem most likely to go horrifically awry in a comedic fashion.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'd like to be a staff officer wherever things seem most likely to go horrifically awry in a comedic fashion.

Welcome to the 14th comrade.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Looks like I missed the boat for volunteering, looking forward to planning though, hopefully I can submit some ideas.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I kinda wanna be a Staff Officer, but I'm also immensly cowardly and really don't want to end up in the line of fire. I'm kinda allergic to death. Is there a nice place somewhere very very far away from the frontline, preferably in a comfy "collectivised" former chateau with lots of wine to "share with the people".

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

oscarthewilde posted:

I kinda wanna be a Staff Officer, but I'm also immensly cowardly and really don't want to end up in the line of fire. I'm kinda allergic to death. Is there a nice place somewhere very very far away from the frontline, preferably in a comfy "collectivised" former chateau with lots of wine to "share with the people".

That sounds like bureaucrat talk to me sonny.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

We should stage an amphibious landing to seize Port Maitrechec!

Oh! Oh! And we should co-ordinate with the rightful citizens army of Aw-Fulia so they can attack at the same time! It doesn't matter who kills Romano.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 11, 2018

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Why bother with crossing the river? Just build a big enough gun so that we can shell Romano's position from across it!

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
And this is why we have military command instead of letting the politicians lead the fight.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

oscarthewilde posted:

https://youtu.be/YrtS2_TfbeY?t=1m3s

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Any Air Marshal jobs open?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Staff officer, throw me wherever there is an opening. But put me last in line - I haven't played this game before so not familiar with it!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

I might be a coward, but if some counter-revolutionary bastard kills me, so be it, I’d have given my life for the revolution. It’s just that I’d prefer to give my life for the revolution at a ripe old age, having vanquished our enemies and spread the revolution far and wide. And armies need bureaucrats too, we make the trains run on time!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I'll go ahead and vote for the tree design for us as well. I'm just not a big fan of the dipper on the flag even with its historical meaning

Damanation fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 11, 2018

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
While mulling over maps and schnapps, you note Comrade Rotalteste was astute enough to bring along the latest newspapers for the First Consul.

November 13th, 1928

Alfuego Barbarity Continues

It seems there is no end in sight to the misery for the Comrade in the embattled city. No official representative of the UPRA has been allowed into the city since the siege began, of course; but reports from refugees speaking to our border guards paint a grim picture.

Sheikh Al-D’s loyalists and the rebels have layered atrocities upon each other; loyalist bombardment of the ruins of Alfuego’s Temple Quarter has been observed, which contained the few foreign aid posts established in the city and was formerly regarded as a cease-fire zone; and this is matched only by reports from the survivors of the rebel warlords in the city, revelling in barbaric treatment of captured prisoners, and citizens who do not slave away to their whims.

The Tribune urges all citizens of the UPRA to consider that were all things fair and equal, the Comrade would throw off both the chains of authoritarianism and fanatical zealotry alike; while considering ourselves fortunate indeed, we should remember others are not so. Always fly the banner of the revolution in your heart and mind.

Just in case people ask, yes, this was posted with Tevery's permission!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Volunteering for a Staff Officer position with the 14th Division!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
:siren: THE SCENARIO IS NOW BEGINNING. IF YOU ARE AN OPFOR OFFICER, GO HERE FOR YOUR THREAD AND READ NO FURTHER. IF YOU ARE ON SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT AND HAVE NOT YET CONTACTED ME, DO SO NOW; YOU WILL BE CONTACTED INDIVIDUALLY SOON IN EITHER CASE. READ NO FURTHER. IF YOU ARE AN UPRA OFFICER, READ ON. IF YOU WISH TO JOIN OPFOR, GO TO THEIR THREAD NOW AND READ NO FURTHER. IF YOU WISH TO JOIN UPRA, SPEAK UP IN THIS THREAD.:siren:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Reporting in as heading the 15th division.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Reporting in as commander of 8th division!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

4th Division Staff Officer, Brigkom Serpentis reporting, gracious revolutionary overlord GM sah.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

14th Division Commander present and accounted for.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Reporting as 4th Division Divkom

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

14th Division Staff Officer, Brigkom Jossar, reporting in!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Right, now that's sorted out, let's look at what exactly I want you to do.

Situation overview

We are staring at Romano's forces across the Ful river. So far we have been rather uninterested in actually engaging them, and the sector has become a safe, quiet area on both sides of our border. Because Romano has been trying - and failing - to pry the Sheikh's forces out of the besieged Alfuego while at the same time holding off his attacks from the west, the river line is fairly undermanned, if well entrenched. But it is not really possible to hide moving in an entire division's worth of troops and four divisions' worth of supplies into a sector which has not seen anything bigger than an occasional border raid for months now. By now, Romano must be realising something is up.

The question, of course, is how much can he do about it. We have reliable information on the numbers and dispositions of the forces defending Ful - two divisions' worth in total, although half of that is stuck trying to push the Awfulians across the White Ful and back into Alfuego - and we believe he may have another two divisions holding off the Sheikh west of Driblenx, and perhaps another in reserve. His men are mostly mercenaries or locals pressed into service, but they know the lay of the land, and more likely than not have some of the infamous Awfulian tanks.

Since Eastern Aw-Fulia's transport infrastructure is virtually non-existent, Romano's logistics rely on a network of supply depots stacked to the rooftops with provisions and materiel. Horse-based logistics may not be the most effective, but they keep his men in the fight. This is, however, an obvious point of failure - if we can find and destroy the depots, Romano will have no choice but to withdraw to the next line of defence. On the other hand, if we are to advance into the desert, those depots will be invaluable. Expect them to be well-defended.

However, it is very unlikely that any replacements will be able to reach us deeper in the desert. There will be replacements available, but any units that need to replace their casualties will have to withdraw closer to the river line.

Objectives

We have, as mandated by Congress, only one objective: eliminate Romano as a threat. There are three ways to go about that.

Option 1: find him and shank him. Our agents report that his main base of operations is the city of Driblenx, deep in the Great Aw Desert. Go there, hope he's too stupid to run, deliver dead or alive to Wafulleren. This is the Congress's preferred outcome. They hate his guts.

Option 2: undermine his power structure. If Romano no longer holds Driblenx and Maitrechec, he will end up in a horrible vice where he cannot resupply or augment his forces in any reasonable capacity. He will end up gobbled by the Sheikh within weeks, or even days.

Option 3: cripple his army. Sweeping either Driblenx or Maitrechec and destroying more than half of his division-level HQs will have a similar result to Option 2. The warlords aren't keen to die for a man who cannot deliver success.

The Congress wants it all done without excessive casualties. They present all of this as essentially a police action, and will balk if we start bleeding. I can't get them to commit to a definition of what "excessive casualties" mean in this regard.

We will have to make some haste. Awfulian summer begins in late December, and by New Year's combat in the desert will become virtually unbearable. We want to be out of there by then.

As a side objective, after we have accomplished our main goal and start withdrawing back across the river, destroy any supply depots you abandon. That should help pacify our western border.

Remember, we are not trying to conquer territory. Awfulia is useless sand littered by half-wrecked military materiel. The only reason it has seen so many battles throughout history is that it's a nice, flat piece of land to fight on, and just happens to be right on the crossroads between former imperialist powers. Do not worry about holding it in the long term.

Now, Comrade Rotalteste will introduce you to your Order of Battle.

Own forces
So let's take a look at what you can bring to the fight.

Note: the units show up as 30xRifle or 10xMachine Gun. This is how the game works internally - those are supposed to stand in for larger numbers of soldiers or guns or tanks. I should be able to set them to display larger values while the underlying mechanics remain the same - e.g. have 1xRifle show up as 30xRifle - but a) it may be a good thing for you to see this "raw" and b) I can't get it to work, which I think is a bug and I'm waiting for someone on the Matrix forums to get back to me. In the meantime, well, pretend the numbers are bigger.

This is the Corps HQ and its only directly attached formation - the Engineer Regiment. Neither of these are really combat units. The HQ has a number of trucks, horses, and trains attached in order to ferry replacements and supplies around. It has to stay near the railroads because of the trains, but you probably shouldn't put it anywhere else anyway. The Engineers are not combat engineers - they're a construction unit. You can use them to unfuck your logistics by building new supply depots or railways. We have limited resources, however.

This, however, is your meat and potatoes: the infantry division. It has its own HQ with horses for transport. It is also not a combat unit. But its subordinate units are.

Each Division has two infantry brigades, an artillery brigade, and a cavalry regiment. Let's look at each of these in detail.

An infantry brigade consists of two infantry regiments. These are the most basic units represented on the map. They're mostly made up of Rifles - the most basic infantry in the game, decent on defence, but ground pounders first and foremost. They're the backbone of your force, but don't expect them to work wonders.

They're backed up by machine guns, which are a lot stronger. Every machine gun is easily worth three rifles, maybe even more, since they get extra attacks in combat. The only situation where they are not better than Rifles is when attacking armoured units - but you should probably avoid having rifles do that either.

Our AT Guns are what we use to take down more thick-skinned opponents. Unit-to-unit, they are also stronger than rifles (and machine guns, for that matter) across the board - but they consume a lot more supplies and "stack" a lot less effectively. I'll explain what "stacking" is in a second, but think of "room" in your formations - you can stuff ten rifle formations or MGs in the same amout of room that one AT gun takes, and ten rifles will kill the AT gun every time. They also suffer severe penalties when attacking (not defending) in any non-open terrain. And they move slower (that's why we have horses - someone has to pull the guns). If you suffer through all these indignities, however, you get a very strong counter to enemy armour. Most infantry regiments in UPRA do not have an organic AT gun company - there are some peacetime production bottlenecks, you see - but the First Consul made sure all your infantry regiments have one attached. Reconnaissance and previous encounters suggest that Awfulian separatists use a lot of tanks.

And speaking of the Consul's little boons: we've been preparing for this operation for a while now, and managed to talk some local factory councils into providing us with some armour of our own. Comrades, allow me to present the Lahnschoester 1 Armoured Car, the first mass-produced domestic Almain armoured car design. They will accompany our infantry for purposes of scouting and to provide mobile fire support in assaults. We only have enough of them to outfit every regiment with a single platoon of four, and there will be no replacements. But we have high hopes for the Lahnschoester's performance. If it works out fine, maybe we can get the Congress to place some orders...

Now, you may have noticed that our infantry regiments have different colours. That is because there is A Problem. We are still suffering from equipment shortages. While most of our infantry regiments (marked in yellow) are equipped with domestically-produced Rana rifles and our versions of Dorota machine guns...

A Rana rifle

...others are armed with weapons that have at some point during the Revolutionary War been scrounged, captured, bought, or otherwise acquired either from Vakan (green) or Oceania (cyan).

Vakanian M1917 Jeremiel rifle (left) and an Oceanian MkV Vilhjalmsson. Regiments equipped with Jeremiels also have their Dorota machineguns chambered in .30-06 to ensure ammo compatibility. Regiments armed with MkV rifles also have Oceanian MkII Eutychios MGs.

We're trying to keep all units within a given brigade armed with the same weapons, but it's a mess. Hopefully it won't complicate logistics too much.

Every division has one cavalry regiment attached. They are smaller, but more mobile units, tasked with breakthrough exploitation and reconnaissance.

Finally, we get to the Artillery Brigade. It is made up of three regiments, two armed with mortars, one with field guns.

The mortars are a strong weapon, capable even of a strong punch against armoured opponents, but they lack range compared to the bigger guns. Still, their fire support will definitely prove invaluable. In game terms, Mortars are a "Rear Area" unit - they have to be stacked alongside your infantry when attacking, but will attack from the second line, and as such will be a lot safer.

The field guns are heavy and must be towed by horses, but they do pack a punch. They are great at suppressing enemy forces before the main attack. In game terms, they can fire from two hexes away. Although they are not very good at actually killing things other than infantry in the open, they do a lot of harm to the units' Readiness scores, which makes it easier to defeat them with your other forces.

Planning

We have some time and capacity to make some additional preparations and decisions before we set off.

Below you'll find a list of potential decisions you can make to alter the scenario somewhat. Each of them cots a certain amount of Rail Capacity (RC). Every 100 RC points spent delay your preparations by one day, making the scenario shorter... and potentially giving the enemy a chance to make their own preparations. You can spend up to 700 RC.

7th Division - 350 RC
The 7th Infantry Division is a largely second-line force stationed just to the south of our positions. Its regiments lack AT companies, but other than that, it is a complete (if inexperienced) infantry formation. We can call in some extra favours to get it released to B Corps's command... but it would cost the Consul a lot of personal clout, so expectations for your success would also increase. The Congress will also get angry if you keep pushing the envelope of its "police action" to include a fifth of UPRA's armed forces. Will grant you the 7th Infantry Division, which will need a commander.

Unleash the armoured cars! - 50 RC
These weapons of war must be allowed to operate independently. Instead of spreading them out, have every division's Lahnschoesters concentrated into full companies. This will remove Armoured Cars from your Infantry Regiments and give you one Armoured Car Company per division.

Reassign the ACs - 50 RC
The Armoured Cars are very mobile, but also vulnerable. They would be better suited in our cavalry regiments. The ACs will be removed from your Infantry Regiments and reassigned to Cavalry Regiments. Obviously you cannot select both this and Unleash the armoured cars!.

A flanking manoeuvre? - 200 RC
We believe that we can find a safe, uncontested crossing of the Ful River further north. Let us dispatch the 8th Division to go look for one and flank Romano's forces. The 8th Division will begin the game moving in from the north on the western side of the river - unless it suffers some misadventures along the way...

Gather information - 150 RC
We need to know more about the situation. Dispatch scouts to gather intel before we begin our advance. Will reveal more information about the map and the enemy forces.

Stock up on supplies - 150 RC
We must be prepared to operate away from our supply lines. Have Division HQs stock up more supplies before we move into the desert. Your Divisions will start the game with two turns' worth of additional supplies on hand.

Capture Alfuego? - 0 RC

Alfuego is a hotbed of the Awfulian separatist movement and, in fact, one of its birthplaces. The city is fortified and held by a division of infantry, a regiment of tanks is keeping Romano's forces further south at bay. It would most definitely be a tough nut to crack... but it is a large port, and one that could be easily connected to our rail network, and securing it would help with flank security. Some of you entertain thoughts of seizing it and presenting it as a fait accompli to the Consul and Congress both. Will add Alfuego as a secondary objective, and if you accomplish it, the city will be annexed into UPRA.

89th Engineers - 100 RC
If you need more engineers, the 89th Regiment is currently building dams on one of Ful's tributaries further north. Make a call and maybe the dams can wait. Will release another engineer regiment to your command.

Release the Simonides - 250 RC
The battlecruiser Simonides is a powerful symbol of the Revolution and a piece of history... It is also a floating heavy artillery battery. Maybe you can get it released to your command? From what we know, neither Romano nor the Sheikh operate any naval units, so as long as you don't hit a mine or run it aground, everything should be okay. But if something does happen to it, then see if you still remember any prayers. Moreover, it will eat into fuel supplies that could otherwise be used for your armoured cars or trucks. Will grant you command of Battlecruiser Simonides.

Seize the trucks! - 150 RC
Supplies and replacements are shipped to us with trains and truck convoys. If we strip the logistics corps of some of those, maybe we can motorise some of our infantry regiments. Will slow down your rate of replacements and resource income, but allow you to equip four Infantry regiments of your choice with sufficient trucks to make it motorised. Motorised regiments move much faster in open terrain, but have problems moving in difficult terrain such as hills or woods.

Propose packages of the following proposals. Anyone may propose a package, only commanders and staff officers may vote.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 13, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Oh boy.

I *really* want to be able to annex Alfuego. In my heart I think this would be a fun additional objective, but it would mean taking on an additional opponent that holds a fortified position opposite the river. I think it's a bridge too far.

If we did decide to go for it, then I would consider it almost a prereq that we get the 7th division released to us. More objectives means we'd need more men.

My initial suggestion is we go for option 1. Attack as soon as possible wasting as little time as possible and cut the head off the snake. If we do take any options I would suggest a combination of moving the 8th division for a flanking maneuver while also getting scouting information. Get in and then get out. It would build confidence in the young officer corp, build support for the consul and the military in Congress which in turn could lead to a longer leash in future campaigns.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Damanation posted:

Reporting in as heading the 15th division.

Reporting in as staff officer to Damanation.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B Corps HQ command checking in.

So decision-wise, I think we should avoid Alfuego. It's too hard a nut to crack. Instead, we should wide flank from the North across the Ful and come through the desert from the North, so the Admiral has to pick between keeping Alfuelo contained and moving forces in to stop us.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 12, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I *really* want to be able to annex Alfuego but make no mistake fellow recent graduates, it is a trap. A trap I say. The vast majority of Romano's forces are arrayed outside it so taking it will only extend our lines and find us charging headlong against our opponent's strongest units. Instead let us look to the North.

Here, Romano has a single Brigade facing off against a full division. By bringing up the 8th to support the 4th, we would have impressive local superiority. Even better though if the 8th could flank the forces on the river and avoid a contested crossing. It is better to suffer any hardship from crossing terrain than a prepared enemy. Well worth two days to

A flanking manoeuvre? - 200 RC
We believe that we can find a safe, uncontested crossing of the Ful River further north. Let us dispatch the 8th Division to go look for one and flank Romano's forces. The 8th Division will begin the game moving in from the north on the western side of the river - unless it suffers some misadventures along the way...

Once across the river in the North we'll have a clear shot at Driblenx and Romano himself. The majority of his forces on this front are tied down outside Alfuego and even if they did want to chase after us, they'd have to abandon their own supply depots.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 12, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
My Vote:

*Flanking manouever
and
*Reassigning Armored Cars

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Given discussion on Discord, we commanders think that time is of the essence - we want to delay 2 days (up to 250RC) at maximum. We also all agree on Reassigning AC to calvary - it gives our cav more punch, and a better ability to contest tanks if encountered.

The other decision comes down to Advance the 8th vs Extra Supplies - the river will basically cut supplies to troops across it away from a bridge, the the 8th won't be able to push far untill the engineers catch up if they cross. But it does ensure the crossing for us and probably let's us encircle and destroy the northern brigade.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Affi posted:

My Vote:

*Flanking manouever
and

Out of the various options floating around, this combination seems to provide the best combination of punch and speed.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
As much as I disagree with the dubious decision to leave Alfuego alone, I will yield.

Affi posted:

My Vote:

*Flanking manouever
and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Flanking sounds like a good idea but I'm a mere civilian.