Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

BrianM87 posted:

Try to avoid getting ebay/paypal involved. They will 100% gently caress the seller over every time. My experience with ebay is even when a buyer admits to immediately breaking the item he received, I should have anticipated him being a total drooling retard. Ebay sided with him and tried to pull the money directly from my bank account. gently caress ebay and paypal. They will gently caress you any chance they get, you're better off not using them.

We both agreed to the cancellation, so eBay was like, "just refund his PayPal payment and send us proof, and we'll refund your final value fees."

So we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I have a question to help me improve my auctions -

How the hell do you all take nice, well lit pictures without a light box?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

a real camera

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Automator posted:

a real camera

Thank you. So helpful.

My main question is about lighting and how to make it work in a small residential setting.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

here are some lazy ideas becuase i dont feel like typing. if the diagrams dont make sense i can use more words later

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Log posted:

Thank you. So helpful.

My main question is about lighting and how to make it work in a small residential setting.
The lazy trick I've been abusing to avoid getting out my real studio flashes is to bounce your flash off the ceiling. It will spread out and look nice and soft that way. You may have to increase the flash power with the compensation setting to pull this off though.

You can also go a long ways by bouncing flashes or shop lamps off of cheap white posterboard from the school supply aisle. Said posterboard also makes for good reflectors if you need to fill in a spot (by bouncing some of the first sheet's with the second sheet). There are also translucent white "reflectors" that you can shine the light through to diffuse it.

A more fancy trick involves using an extension cable and a speedlight to get your flash off of the camera, then bouncing off of something from the side or shooting through something translucent. Good speedlights also include built in slave modes, which lets you chain multiples together with at most one cable, but these can be pricey.

If you're willing to drop a bit more cash than the posterboard method there are kits for continuous lighting on amazon that are fairly cheap (since they're mostly just a shop light with a special mount and stand). Here's an example of a softbox kit and here's an example of a very cheap shoot through umbrella kit. Then you can just drape a white sheet (or white backdrop from amazon) onto a kitchen table and go from there.

If you want to spend some dollars you can also buy a DSLR and a studio flash set from a reputable company like Alien Bees. This method will cost you a good grand though!

These fold up light cubes are also very handy on a kitchen table. If you use one you can skip adding a softbox or umbrella as the sides of the cube will diffuse the light enough.

Don't ever, ever fire the flash straight from the camera to the object. It will be incredibly harsh and will wash out all detail.

Oh and if you ever need to angle something a little bit, get a 3 ring binder and shove it underneath your sheet. I usually do that for pistol photos. You may need to fold your sheet so it's double thickness or use a white binder though as thin sheets may show it through.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 10, 2018

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

This book is not cheap but if you want to have a reference on how to light just about anything ever, this is the book.

Light: Science and Magic

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

here are some lazy ideas becuase i dont feel like typing. if the diagrams dont make sense i can use more words later

That is actually precisely what I needed to know. I've been pointing lights directly at the objects, rather than letting them do their thing indirectly.

Also, thanks Parts Kit, that was a good write up. I have a small light box and I'll eventually get a bigger one, but here is a prime example of my photo lighting woes -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183423614093

Compared to this, with my lovely light box -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183423622436

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

These collapsible light cubes are a pain in the dick to fold up but are also handy. Also a pro-tip: you see in the first picture that slit? That entire panel is velcro-ed on, you can remove it for 99% of your stuff but if you run into something reflective, say metal or glass, you can pop that on and shove your lens in through the slit. That way you don't end up in a reflection.

Another pro-tip I found out the hard way: yes they make 4 foot cubes, but those are about the size of a loving recliner so make sure you've got a big enough space before you go that far.

If you forgo the cubes and opt for a backdrop do yourself a favor and get a cheap backdrop stand. That way you can drape the backdrop on your table with a nice curve behind it so you get a solid white background. This is handy because a 6x9 foot backdrop, a stand set, and some off camera lights will handle a LOT of poo poo a cube won't. But it's a pricier option.

There's like 500 ways to approach this problem, it just depends on what you've got currently, your budget, and how involved you want to make it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Oh and another pro-tip while I'm thinking on the subject -- black posterboard can also be very handy. Say you've got something clear, like a beer glass or a clear glass vase. If you shoot it in a light cube it will barely show up (because it's clear!). You can stick a black card behind it to make it pop out more, or even off to the side to block some of the light.

This trick is covered in detail in the book I linked earlier. Can't recommend that book enough. Probably also all over the internet under the term "carding" if I remember right.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh yeah like parts kit said, pointing your lights at a ceiling.

also assuming this is about as much money as you want to spend: cheap rear end lights

use good led bulbs with a high CRI or incandescents.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Let me see if I can organize these a bit more by cost.

I don't want to spend any money
Light your subject by daylight through a window like how Miso showed.
Bounce your camera's flash off the ceiling (if possible).

I'm willing to drop $20
Buy a couple of shop lights from Lowes and bounce them off of cheap posterboard.

I can spend $50ish.
Get this light box or this light cube and a couple of shop lights from Lowes. Point the lights so they shine through the translucent material.

I can drop $100.
Buy the light box or light cube and a good set of lights like this. There are cheaper options for lights on amazon, be sure to read the reviews!

I can drop $200ish.
Add a good tripod to the $100 kit.

I'm going to do this a lot, what's a little money?
Buy the $200 stuff and a good, basic DSLR camera with lens for $500. If that seems high remember that camera will last you a good 5 years easily (if you don't drop it).
You can also get good used cameras from BHPhoto or KEH.com if you can't drop $500!

I didn't need to buy another Glock anyways.
Buy the DSLR, the tripod, the light cube, and swap out the hot lights for basic flashes. Chances are you'll also need this adapter.
Alternatively, also buy a nicer DSLR like a Nikon D5600 or much nicer one like a D7500 (latter is a big price jump though).

gently caress it, money is no object.
Buy your choice of backdrops and stands and then this this this this and oh yeah let's not forget this and this.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

This was done with two "arm" desk lamps with incandescent lights with a sheet of parchment paper attached to the bell of the lamp to diffuse the light. The arm lamps allow me to angle the light in odd ways to get other lighting effects. and the camera is a samsung point and shoot.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

I have a 10yr old Canon 40D that I use for my photos, Miso squared me away with the correct ISO and other settings to use to blow out my pictures and make everything pritty. I have it mounted on a monopod with the focus set up so all I have to do is swap out knives and press button. I have one of these - https://www.procyc.com/products/mystudio-ms32-tabletop-photo-studio-kit-product-photography but I never use the distance portion of it, so realistically I could have my knives on a piece of posterboard & use cheapo CFLs to light them up

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Also a friendly reminder - If anyone would like their ebay store linked in the OP, just let me know. I'm thrilled that we got one person auctioning (Infrared) and would love it if anyone else got going.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

Miso Beno posted:

For small parts I used to have a small metal frame I draped white cloth over and set a couple neutral lamps outside of. Used the smallest aperture on the lens and the slowest speed. Of course this was on a tripd and exposures could be quite a few seconds. Exposed for the grey card I had the part setting on. Absolutely nailed the lighting. Also have a couple 2-sided collapsible fabric bounce panels that I used from time to time in harsh daylight to fill shadows.

Initially used a Nikon F4, then a 2020 then my current D700. Currently going back to the stoneages to relearn proper picturizing with a Hassy 501CM and Ilford B&W. One of these days I may actually buy some chemicals and develop some of the pictures.

These days for part sales? I just wait for an overcast day and sigh as I draw my iphone from my pocket.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 11, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hasselblad posted:

Currently going back to the stoneages to relearn proper picturizing with a Hassy 501CM and Ilford B&W

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

If anything it is an excruciatingly good way to cause you to slow down and think about every aspect of the photo you are trying to make. In fact I should probably put a notepad in my pack so I can record every setting and condition for each exposure, rather than waiting till (likely months in the future) I actually do some developing and wondering why some (all) came out like mud.

The Scoliosis-inducing beast:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 11, 2018

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

Initially used a Nikon F4, then a 2020 then my current D700. Currently going back to the stoneages to relearn proper picturizing with a Hassy 501CM and Ilford B&W. One of these days I may actually buy some chemicals and develop some of the pictures.

These days for part sales? I just wait for an overcast day and sigh as I draw my iphone from my pocket.

i got some old tanks and a film dryer i need to dig out and get wet again.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Miso Beno posted:

i got some old tanks and a film dryer i need to dig out and get wet again.

I just need to stop procrastinating (read: tossing my money at woodworking toys) and get chemicals ordered. To stopbath or not stopbath? That is the question.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 11, 2018

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Hasselblad posted:

If anything it is an excruciatingly good way to cause you to slow down and think about every aspect of the photo you are trying to make. In fact I should probably put a notepad in my pack so I can record every setting and condition for each exposure, rather than waiting till (likely months in the future) I actually do some developing and wondering why some (all) came out like mud.

The Scoliosis-inducing beast:

Haha, if you think thatís bad try lugging around 40ish lbs of 8x10 camera poo poo.

I should really shoot mine some more but developing sheet film at home is currently a no-go. Maybe I can console myself with my Leica and some bathroom development.

Also sweet camera!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

My medium format go-to is a Mamiya 645. I just love how "handy" it is.

I'm pretty sure I still have some 4x5 film somewhere from when I owned the ironically-named Gowland Pocket View.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Parts Kit posted:

Haha, if you think thatís bad try lugging around 40ish lbs of 8x10 camera poo poo.

I should really shoot mine some more but developing sheet film at home is currently a no-go. Maybe I can console myself with my Leica and some bathroom development.

Also sweet camera!

Medium format suits me until/unless I want to go full Ansel Adams.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

infrared35 posted:

My medium format go-to is a Mamiya 645. I just love how "handy" it is.

I'm pretty sure I still have some 4x5 film somewhere from when I owned the ironically-named Gowland Pocket View.

Pitty you didn't say RZ67. I've been watching this gather dust since way back when Ritz Camera was liquidating stock and closing stores:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I now have so much freaking stuff saved to my "Buy Eventually" list. This thread is expensive! I really appreciate the info. I'm probably just going to spend about fifty bucks on a decent light box that can hold something bigger than a can of Coke.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hasselblad posted:

Pitty you didn't say RZ67. I've been watching this gather dust since way back when Ritz Camera was liquidating stock and closing stores:

Whoa. My first non-TLR medium format camera was a beat-up RB67. Pretty cool.

The other one I have now is a Mini Speed Graphic with a 6x9 back on it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Log posted:

I now have so much freaking stuff saved to my "Buy Eventually" list. This thread is expensive! I really appreciate the info. I'm probably just going to spend about fifty bucks on a decent light box that can hold something bigger than a can of Coke.
Consider going for a 3 footer. Four feet was way too huge but 2 feet seems kind of small.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thanks to this thread, I ordered a bigger lightbox kit thing. If I like it, I might have an extra "Free to Goons" small lightbox I can send out soon.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Got my bigger lightbox set up thanks to thread recommendations and have a question -

Is this digital camera I've not seen since 2005ish good for what I need? I might have to order a charger if so.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

ebay cracks me up sometimes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Vtg-C-...3gAAOSwvMFa75zj

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Rubber band guns!

I had one like it but it was cut out with a tool and long before any orange tip stuff. E: oh he's adding that with ms paint or something.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Got my bigger lightbox set up thanks to thread recommendations and have a question -

Is this digital camera I've not seen since 2005ish good for what I need? I might have to order a charger if so.

It will do the job but there's a good chance your cellphone will take comperable quality photos.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

It will do the job but there's a good chance your cellphone will take comperable quality photos.

Itís a good thing because the battery is long dead. I even found the loving charger.

Iíll probably grab a dedicated tripod point and click. Any CHEAP recommendations?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Itís a good thing because the battery is long dead. I even found the loving charger.

Iíll probably grab a dedicated tripod point and click. Any CHEAP recommendations?

Goodwill?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

A nice, used Canon G10. Super easy controls, good picture quality, and the ability to take a hotshoe flash if you want to add one at some point.

Lots of them listed for $100-$300, but the ones that are actually selling seem to be going for under $100, closer to $50-$70.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

A nice, used Canon G10. Super easy controls, good picture quality, and the ability to take a hotshoe flash if you want to add one at some point.

Lots of them listed for $100-$300, but the ones that are actually selling seem to be going for under $100, closer to $50-$70.

This. A thousand times this.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Miso Beno posted:

This. A thousand times this.

Oh, ghost of Miso. You so ginky!!!

Edit for content: I listed the first item from that giant tub of basketweave duty gear that I picked up.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 21, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Oh, ghost of Miso. You so ginky!!!

Edit for content: I listed the first item from that giant tub of basketweave duty gear that I picked up.

Iíll check it out!

Thanks for the recommendation. Itís about, A LOT more than I want to pay, but this forum has never steered me wrong.

Also, who wants a tiny LED light box? I have a spare.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Itís about, A LOT more than I want to pay, but this forum has never steered me wrong.

Also, who wants a tiny LED light box? I have a spare.

I guess I wouldn't mind playing around with it; if it's too small for me, I can always pay it forward.

You could go back a couple models to like the G9 or G8; they still take good pictures and have a hotshoe but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I guess I wouldn't mind playing around with it; if it's too small for me, I can always pay it forward.

You could go back a couple models to like the G9 or G8; they still take good pictures and have a hotshoe but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Iím phone posting, but if you got PMs send me one. Itís yours!

Also, there might be other random things in the package. No promises.