Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For what itís worth I bought a thing in SA Mart two weeks ago and it sat in Tulsa with no updates for a week after he dropped it off. Itís still not here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jumping in with a couple of questions. I used ebay maybe a 15ish maybe 20 years ago (that can't be right but a long drat time ago...) and it was alright for selling old computer/electronics crap. I'm not even sure that account even exists anymore. It was back during the Web 0.01 era. I've been thinking about selling some other stuff (firearms accessories, maybe some jewelry or electronics) or making a little side hustle out of it and by serendipity stumbled into this thread. I read about 4 pages in and got a little spooked at the size of it so I'm blind posting.

Questions for all sellers in this thread:

1. Do you have a business filed or are you just doing this on your own?

2. If you live in the US, are you reporting this income on your taxes? If so what's it classified as? Obvs don't answer if you're doing tax evasion.

EDIT:

3. What's the best way to come about packing materials that won't cost your first born but will also ensure your items get to buyers safely?

4. I saw some bits about prohibited items. Could one sell say a wrist brace for a PDW conversion kit? I noticed that the kits are prohibited but I'm not sure if just a wrist brace would be... Guess it'd have to fall under California laws?

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 20, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

3. What's the best way to come about packing materials that won't cost your first born but will also ensure your items get to buyers safely?

Household trash and store brand packing tape from Home Depot. Seriously with a little time, a knife, some tape, and a bunch of Amazon boxes you can craft cardboard braces to fit drat near anything and hold it secure. Pad out the remainder with newspaper or whatever.

As far as taxes? My understanding with selling your poo poo is that you have to report it as capital gains if you sell your crap for more than you paid for it. But, and hereís the huge bit, if you bought it with the intent of flipping it that is taxable, period. Lots of fuzzy intent poo poo.

Hereís a website that covers it pretty well. The tldr is that it probably isnít worth worrying about too much if youíre clearing less than $20k in a year.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Prohibited items are a big old "Who the gently caress knows?"

I had a conversation in an Ebay rep, purposely in chat, approving a knock off knife I had for sale. I clearly marked it as from China and an imitation. The rep checked with a manager and told me it was A-OK. She told me I could refer back to that conversation if I had any issues in the future.

My item, which cost not a lot, was getting majorly bid up. Then, someone reported me as selling counterfeits and my auction got zapped. I didn't get a suspension or anything, but just like that my approval was revoked.

I haven't had the energy to argue with them about it, but I will.

(I've also sold other knock off knives without a problem.)

Also, everything Cyrano said is spot on. Because of my situation, all I'll say is I've involved a tax professional and lawyer to ensure I'm above board. But all the sellers say you shouldn't worry if you are below a rolling 20k average.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks for the replies!

I looked up a bit of the tax stuff and I think you're right in that it seems to boil down to if you're running a business or not. I don't have the time or interest to buy stuff to flip so maybe I'll see about selling a few items. Given the fees (ends up like 13% or something?) and the cost of shipping materials, I'll have to be smart about how I go about it, though.

I checked and my old account doesn't exist anymore so I'll have to make a new one. I already have an account but it has zero feedback or anything. I'll probably just buy a few things to get a little bit of feedback. I created it last year and it seems to have been made before the managed payments thing was pushed. Can anyone speak to that system? Do you still need PayPal in order to sell? Are there any tricks or traps to managed payments?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I dunno. They keep telling me that Iím going to be forcibly migrated to managed payments any day now but at this point itís been months and nothing.

It has strong vibes of the transition not going easily and them slow walking it while they figure poo poo out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I dunno. They keep telling me that Iím going to be forcibly migrated to managed payments any day now but at this point itís been months and nothing.

It has strong vibes of the transition not going easily and them slow walking it while they figure poo poo out.

Iíve still never got these messages, so youíre probably spot on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, eBay is a land of contrasts. I've got one buyer who was pissed because 'The auction said nothing about paying TAX" (emphasis his).

Dude, that's literally state-by-state depending on whether your gov't passed a law to collect online sales tax. poo poo's so far out of my hands. Write your state legislature I guess if you want to claw back your $2?

Meanwhile I've got another dude who asked me for combined shipping then went ahead and paid on them all, then after I explained that I'll have to manually do it etc but i'll get him some money back he's super apologetic and offers to just eat the extra expense.

Dude #1 got put on my "no more bids from this rear end in a top hat" list.

Dude #2 I jumped through all the hoops and just Paypal refunded him $7 in shipping.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Does anyone here have experience selling relatively heavy items on eBay? I'm going to be selling an item that comes in a case. The dimensions of the case are roughly 55" ◊ 20" ◊ 8", and the weight is 80 pounds.

I'm only considering eBay because it's a niche instrument that's not old or famous enough to be vintage (so no, not a DX-7), nor is it new enough to be considered current. So, I need a big marketplace, bigger than my local scene. But, locally, someone can just pick it up, and I don't have to try to find a box and packing materials for this thing.

Is this going to be worth the shipping hassle?

Edit: and I forgot, I also have a professional stand for this drat thing, and it's not heavy but it can only be broken down so far. Shipping this is going to be an extra pain in the dick. gently caress, I might have to rethink this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Find a box that it fits in. Pack it well inside that box.

You're going to need to put the dimensions of the box and the weight in when you put it up for sale.

Have the buyer pay actual shipping. eBay will handle that automatically depending on the shipping options you pick.

Now, is it worth your time? Depends on how much you're getting for it I guess. Some buyers balk at paying expensive shipping so you migth not get as much, but if it's something you just need out of your house and you're OK with not getting top dollar? Could be worth it.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

Does anyone here have experience selling relatively heavy items on eBay? I'm going to be selling an item that comes in a case. The dimensions of the case are roughly 55" ◊ 20" ◊ 8", and the weight is 80 pounds.

I'm only considering eBay because it's a niche instrument that's not old or famous enough to be vintage (so no, not a DX-7), nor is it new enough to be considered current. So, I need a big marketplace, bigger than my local scene. But, locally, someone can just pick it up, and I don't have to try to find a box and packing materials for this thing.

Is this going to be worth the shipping hassle?

Edit: and I forgot, I also have a professional stand for this drat thing, and it's not heavy but it can only be broken down so far. Shipping this is going to be an extra pain in the dick. gently caress, I might have to rethink this.

Thought about Craigslist or area Facebook selling groups? If you don't mind dealing with the unvetted masses, that's my go-to for large items I don't want to ship.

Edit: Also, consider a pack-and-ship place. See if you can get an estimate for them to pack the item and send it, and include that in the listing if you're willing to ship. I've done that before too, for a couple hundred pounds of ham radio gear.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Thought about Craigslist or area Facebook selling groups? If you don't mind dealing with the unvetted masses, that's my go-to for large items I don't want to ship.

I am considering that, actually.

I'm only considering eBay at all because I might have better luck getting a decent price if I put it up on a bigger marketplace. On CL or FB, I'm almost certainly looking at getting less money, but I don't have to ship it. I may try doing that first. Hell, I might also look up Reverb and see what that process might be like.

Edit: There is a UPS depot/store near me, actually. Do they do that? I've used them before, but I've always had boxes before. The box my new bass came in the other day isn't long enough to hold the case, and it's the only thing I've had that even comes close. And again, the stand is a whole separate deal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Most FedEx and UPS stores offer packing services, but call ahead and ask before you lug the thing down there and include the price of the service in your shipping cost. Also check places like Mail Boxes Etc and similar, they may have competitive prices.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Here is my take -

Go check similar auctions and see what their shipping price is set at. If people are buying these things with a big shipping price tag, then go get a quote and list that fucker.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

A dude listed a muzzle brake on eBay for $80 or best offer. I tried an offer of $60 (since the brake is used), and it took it (so the seller either has no low-offer rejection threshold or itís less than the $60 I offered). He just got back to me with a counter-offer of $79.

Dude.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yeah, eff that dude. Eff 'em right in the a, coming back with that poo poo.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Is it an auction starting at $80 or BIN at $80? If the former I'd assume he's looking to get more than that. Yeah, probably should have set a minimum acceptable threshold. Although sometimes eBay is... weird about (not) letting you select certain options when listing an item.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

So, that keyboard I wanted to sell... I looked up that model to see what the market was. I saw listings on eBay and some nearby Guitar Centers, usually for $500 - $800... and those listings weren't new, and the items weren't sold most of the time. I figured $500 for an outdated (as opposed to popular enough to be famous, like a DX-7) was a good price, especially with a case and stand tossed in. Someone with enough time to mess around could probably get a better price, but the $500 ones at Guitar Center weren't moving very fast, and I knew that if I hauled this to one, I'd get maybe $200 for it.

I also listed a mixer I bought and never used because I ended up not having to run sound, and a couple of basses I haven't played in a long time. Ironically, they were both Ibanez--my only Ibanez electric basses. The market value of the 6-string bass was very low because it was Gio that I bought so I could finally have a proper 6-string, only to find out that I don't like playing them much. (It was literally on the clearance rack, brand new, at a local shop; I got it for a song.) Six string is a nice bass to visit, but I wouldn't want to groove there.

The five-string fretless... well, it's a 25+ year old bass, but not one that heats up the vintage market. I got it out of layaway on the day my then-girlfriend told her family that we'd become engaged, but even that sentimentality fades after a while. It lived in a closet and was more in the way than anything else. Also, mid-90's active electronics are not great.

All told, a cool $1000 worth of used but not abused gear, and my target when I sell stuff up there is to aim for 75% of my asking price and not be disappointed as long as I get around 65%.

So I listed that keyboard on Facebook Marketplace, figuring I'd start there, and if it languished for too long, then I'd worry about eBay. I've given up on Craigslist unless I really just need to get something out of my house. This was yesterday. I got a couple lowball offers on the mixer, and was negotiating with one of them. Then in the early evening, my phone starts... what is it the kids say? Exploding upward? Anyway, this one dude across the river is asking about all the items, and he's a musician and poo poo. How much for all four items? I gave him my "bare minimum" of $800, he came back with $700, and I got him up to $720... then I waited, and 10 minutes later, he agreed to $750. Noice!

He just picked it all up today. I have cash in hand. Man, those $100's look weird now. Looks like the local music marketplace group I'm on really is worth the occasional notification. I didn't have to pack anything up at all.

Still, thanks, everyone, for the tips. I'll keep all this in mind the next time I sell something.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

A dude listed a muzzle brake on eBay for $80 or best offer. I tried an offer of $60 (since the brake is used), and it took it (so the seller either has no low-offer rejection threshold or itís less than the $60 I offered). He just got back to me with a counter-offer of $79.

Dude.

Ehhh, I'd look at his selling record. If dude has ten transactions, I might take pity and let him cancel. But if they have a bunch of transactions, they are trying to gently caress with you.

Nine times out of ten, I'd be down their throat. But if it's grandpa's first sales, I'd soften up.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

darnon posted:

Is it an auction starting at $80 or BIN at $80? If the former I'd assume he's looking to get more than that. Yeah, probably should have set a minimum acceptable threshold. Although sometimes eBay is... weird about (not) letting you select certain options when listing an item.

It's a fixed-price listing with Buy It Now and Make Offer options.

Captain Log posted:

Ehhh, I'd look at his selling record. If dude has ten transactions, I might take pity and let him cancel. But if they have a bunch of transactions, they are trying to gently caress with you.

Nine times out of ten, I'd be down their throat. But if it's grandpa's first sales, I'd soften up.

Dude has a 105 feedback, so not new but not a veteran either.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

It's a fixed-price listing with Buy It Now and Make Offer options.

Dude has a 105 feedback, so not new but not a veteran either.

I would personally base my reaction to his response. If he is a dick, I'd hold him to it. Reasonable and apologetic? I might let him off the hook.

I'm sorry to assume the seller is a "he", but someone selling gun parts on Ebay without a working knowledge of the website has to be a Grandpa.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

I would personally base my reaction to his response. If he is a dick, I'd hold him to it. Reasonable and apologetic? I might let him off the hook.

I'm sorry to assume the seller is a "he", but someone selling gun parts on Ebay without a working knowledge of the website has to be a Grandpa.

True; I just assumed he was being a dick. Maybe he really has no idea.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Log, I don't think that the seller accepted the $60 offer, just that it wasn't automatically rejected and he later countered with $79. I see it a lot, dudes love to have a best offer but counter a $1 under list. It's a dick move, though I'm guilty of the penny less than asking for insulting low-balls, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

ThinkFear posted:

Log, I don't think that the seller accepted the $60 offer, just that it wasn't automatically rejected and he later countered with $79. I see it a lot, dudes love to have a best offer but counter a $1 under list. It's a dick move, though I'm guilty of the penny less than asking for insulting low-balls, too.

Oh, I thought it auto accepted. Ebay can be tricky with automatically checking boxes to make you sell faster.

I have a rare number of auctions with an offer button that I won't accept lower than list. Reason being - it's valuable and an auction, but I'll skip the auction with a good offer.

HOWEVER! I will say in my listing, "I am not accepting offers lower than my start" to cut through any confusion. It's also obvious, because it will be something valuable. When someone has an overpriced piece of junk than starts playing the dollar off game, I ignore them.

Last night, a person listed a graded bill I want. The website from the grading company has the value listed at $25. The bill is listed at $100. I told them I'd pay more than its value, but not $100. I also included a screen shot from the grading website clearly showing the value of the bill.

I got a curt, all lowercase "no deals no discounts" in return. So, gently caress 'em.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Meanwhile I got drunk a few nights ago and threw in a lowball offer for the 1990s Dungeons and Dragons movie because I saw RLM has a commentary track on it. Like, really low ball. It was for sale for $10 + shipping and I offered $2.

They accepted.

So I guess now I own that DVD.

In summary, offers are a land of contrasts

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile I got drunk a few nights ago and threw in a lowball offer for the 1990s Dungeons and Dragons movie because I saw RLM has a commentary track on it. Like, really low ball. It was for sale for $10 + shipping and I offered $2.

They accepted.

So I guess now I own that DVD.

In summary, offers are a land of contrasts

I just rented that loving thing to do the commentary track.

I'll never forget seeing that in the theater with a bunch of nerd friends. Afterwards, they were all acting like they'd just seen the Phantom Menace trying to say, "I'd give that move three stars. It was very good. I hope there is a sequel!"

And I was replying, "ARE YOU loving HIGH?!?!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, I saw it in theaters too. At least it was a dollar theater, but jesus. I just remember thinking it was about the same quality as the poo poo I watched late at night on Sci Fi. You know, before they rebranded as SyFy. Late 90s Sci Fi channel.

That kind of quality.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol at some people on eBay. I discreetly send them my email as an image to get around eBay policy. Guy messages me back. "I just see an image of an email I'm not sure what to do with this".

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol at some people on eBay. I discreetly send them my email as an image to get around eBay policy. Guy messages me back. "I just see an image of an email I'm not sure what to do with this".

I've managed to do two sales around Ebay. One time was because Ebay's global shipping between England and the US was charging literally twice the going rate for a half pound package.

But I'd only do it if I'd established rapport with a person. An rear end in a top hat could get an account suspended for you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Doing my nightly before bed eBay checking, I found possibly the most grandpa description on a coin I've ever seen. Look, I post a big, detailed description with all my terms to cover my rear end. But the actual item might get one to two sentences of unique text. This reads the the fever dream of someone with more than one John Deere cap.

Even better, all of this is for a $4 value Moroccan coin of absolutely no rarity whatsoever.

The Description -

First time I ever saw a batch of these, I knew I wanted to sell 'em. WiLd cOiNs. Guy treated 'em like the crown jewels. Must have had little invisible diamonds mounted in the center. We could not come to terms. Weren't in the same ballpark, weren't on the same planet.

Another show, another chance, those wonderful words "How much for the whole stack?" - worked their magic. For sale in my store are the 2 Falus 1283, 4 Falus 1283, '84(x2 different), '85, '86, '88, '89, & '90. 9 of 'em. Did I hear someone in the back row say "But I want 'em all!"? Sorry, can't do that. Tell you what I can do. Win 4 to 6, I discount the cheapest one, yeah, you get one free . Win 7, 8, or 9 (not likely, but may happen) I discount the cheapest 2, free. That ease your pain? That said, I've talked too much. Never did that before. Look at the coin, let it do some talking. 9.5 Grams cast Bronze, 28 mm Diameter. That 4th digit - awkward triangle - I say a 4, can't think of anything closer. Call is the best I can guess. Rest easy, 1283 is also difficult.

Two sets of pictures, I like it when you can see what's for sale and tell what you're getting. First is flat with flash. Next is natural daylight. Closest to coin in hand? Set 2, just no blue in that coin, all dark brown. Set 1 good for detail, of course the coin's not "flashy."

Yes, it ships free, anywhere in the world. Off planet costs extra. I stand unconditionally behind everything I sell. Always have, always will. If anything you ever buy from me is unsatisfactory for any reason, or no reason at all, just send it back. That's how I roll.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Morocco-4-Falus-1284-1868-Scalene-Triangle/203293508392?hash=item2f553cc328:g:DV0AAOSwIwRgLaEI

Edit : Oh God, I've bought from this guy before. Now I know who sends me literal all caps sales emails about "EBAY AUCTIONS GOING LIVE" with attached Bible verses and prayer requests.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I just had a first -

Won an auction for a pretty rare, but not incredibly valuable coin. Snagged it for $12.99 + $6.00 overpriced shipping. At best, it might have sold for $15. Maaaaybe.

The hosed cancelled the auction and refunded my money without any notice.

How big of a pain in this person's rear end should I become? That loving rankles me to no end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I don't think there's much you can do other than bother them with messages. As the buyer you might be able to get a phone number from eBay through the messages pages.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't think there's much you can do other than bother them with messages. As the buyer you might be able to get a phone number from eBay through the messages pages.

I messaged them, to which they told me the coin had been lost. That's not impossible, as I've had a scare or two of losing something I just sold.

I can leave bad feedback. I'm torn. The person has 600+ sales with only one negative feedback rating. That makes me lean towards believing them. But on the other hand, a cancellation without notice on something I got for a good price?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Have they offered you anything as consolation? A discount on another item? Not that you should take it but just to gauge their sincerity.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shaocaholica posted:

Have they offered you anything as consolation? A discount on another item? Not that you should take it but just to gauge their sincerity.

They have not.

Excellent point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Meh, I take the view that you're not out anything so just whatever. If you want to crawl up their rear end that's your call, and if they re-list it I'd be pissed, but I land on meh.

As far as getting a discount or something? Even a 600 feedback ebay seller isn't Amazon. If it is legit an item that they flat out lost you're just taking money out of the pocket of a small seller.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meh, I take the view that you're not out anything so just whatever. If you want to crawl up their rear end that's your call, and if they re-list it I'd be pissed, but I land on meh.

As far as getting a discount or something? Even a 600 feedback ebay seller isn't Amazon. If it is legit an item that they flat out lost you're just taking money out of the pocket of a small seller.

I'm the definition of a small seller, but I'll throw a few buck discount out at the drop of a hat to maintain good rep. For me, I'd do that.

I'll likely do nothing IF the coin isn't resisted, though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Oh, man. I sold a Beretta mag on eBay, the dude paid for it, I packed it and shipped it all within about ten minutes. About half an hour later the dude messages me. Uh-oh. That's never good. In my experience, when someone does that, they've realized they made a mistake bidding (didn't read the description carefully enough, etc.) and want to cancel the order.

This time, the dude just wanted to know if the Beretta mag would fit the Girsan Regard (a Turkish Beretta clone). I had no idea and was genuinely curious, so I looked it up. Yes, factory mags do appear to fit the Regard. So thanks, dude. I learned something.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ooooh somebody is on the verge of getting preemptively banned by me.

They are in Canada and asking me all this needling questions about, "Do I pay an import fee? What about a duty fee?" over and over. I've told them as politely as possible that I use the Global Shipping program, so I do not collect those fees myself. I even dug through Ebay's Global Shipping information, sent him the appropriate link, and copy/pasted all the pertinent poo poo.

This I get this response -

"I would have preferred a yes or no for an answer, which seems clear to you."

God drat, I am right on the edge of banning this guy before he bids. I'd put a tenner on the person not buying, but if he or she does I'm sensing a problem buyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Apparently people hate the GSP but I can understand why its attractive because shipping overseas yourself sucks.