Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Thread Goal – Get TFR people active on Ebay through peer review of auctions and helpful tips.

For many years of reading these forums, I’ve often seen a theme. That theme is simple, “Gun poo poo is expensive.” Lamenting about the woes of buying fifteen AR brakes but needing fifteen more is a common trend. Don't make your own soap, kids. We can help you afford all those AR brakes.

But, as Goons are concerned, they have an advantage. Unabashed nerdery abounds, resulting in a lot of oddball collecting habits. By my calculations, every Goon was also once a child. Those children’s toys are just gathering dust these days. How on earth is any of this stuff an advantage?

https://i.imgur.com/hJ7qT0u.mp4

Ebay! Ebay provides an auctioning platform that is extremely cheap to use. Most major and minor auction houses, including Christies and Sothebys’, have about a 35% commission and nobody bats an eyelash at that. Ebay’s fees tend to be about 15% or less. Yeah, it sucks to not get all “your money” for a sale, but do you have an alternative place to sell sometimes literal trash for money?

(Someone bought this for $600)

Ebay – The Basics

I’ll be using my store for our guinea pig. Everyone calls their auctions their “Storefront” or “Business.” It just refers to your homepage. I sell everything from antiques to toys, but my bread and butter is loving Funko figurines.

Starting out, you just need to register an account. Just registering an account will get you an average of fifty free listings a month. Ebay makes their money by charging a listing fee between .35 cents and multiple bucks depending on the options you use, and charging a final value fee of about ten to fifteen percent of the sale price. I rarely spring for something like a bolded title (2.00 bucks) or listing an item in additional categories (1.00 buck). Be careful, if you put up things that don’t sell and also don’t change your ways, it’s possible to have a month in which all you do is sell enough to cover your listing fees. This is not ideal.

Paypal – You need a Paypal

Ebay functions almost exclusively through use of PayPal. Once you’ve linked your account to Ebay, you can use it like a money bank. Postage can be purchased directly from your paypal funds, ebay invoices (listing fees) can be paid, etc. If you are one of the two people on the internet without a PayPal account, you’ll need one.

Shipping with Discounted Rates –

By being someone who was able to register with a website, you’ll get discounted postage through USPS. For ages I stupidly didn’t use this feature. If you purchase your postage through Ebay, you’ll save ten or twenty percent, and it will automatically load your tracking number for the end user to see. The tracking number is a huge way Ebay measures you as a seller. Just use their postage system.

Photos – Buy (make) a light box

If you look through my auctions, you’ll see a jump in the picture quality. I used to take a cell phone picture in front of my keyboard. Then I made a little photo area near my desk, but the shadows were awful. I ordered a twelve dollar light box and my photos improved tenfold. I also may have purchased the absolute cheapest piece of poo poo light box ever made. It’s “SLOW DOLPHIN” brand. Don’t buy that one.

On eBay, you’ll be competing with CHINA and a lot of big corporations. The people like me who sell single items at a time are the minority. The photos are your main way to beat the “big guys” who just use the stock photos. Pick a bright background, don’t have items that aren’t for sale in the picture, light that motherfucker, and get every possible angle. Less than three pictures will get your auction flagged and it won’t appear in most searches.

Prohibited Items – It’s weird

Ebay had a poo poo load of everything, but there are some prohibited items. Soiled undergarments (gross), body parts (all from Chinese prisoners), explosives (fireworks), and poo poo like that isn’t allowed. The only hard NO I’ve run into with firearms related stuff is magazine limits. Nothing that holds more than ten rounds is allowed. Also, no receivers are kosher. But you can sell slides, holsters, and knives all day long.

Getting Scammed – It’s normally unintentional!

There is a saying that eBay always sides with the buyer. This isn’t true. I’ve had one issue go to arbitration as the seller, and I won. How? Good COA. That stands for “Cover Your rear end.”

I take photos of everything and save all my receipts. If it’s an expensive item, I’ll take photos of the item in the box, the box taped up, and the receipt. Act like a crazy person diagnosis themselves with Morgellon’s. Save loving everything.

Most of the horror stories are just misunderstandings. I’ve had three people, probably kids, “lose” their packages. Instead of contacting me, or the post office, they just open up a case against me and literally say something like, “Where MY THING?!”

I will calmly reply with some version of the following, “The United States Postal Service covers all packages with fifty dollars of insurance. Have you filed a claim at your local post office? Here is their address.” Two out of three times this solved the problem. If a case is opened and you respond to eBay’s satisfaction, that seller cannot leave bad feedback against you.

This is rapidly getting into three pages in word single spaced, so I’m going to JUST POST and leave this whole section up for edits. The goal of this thread is for us to post auctions and talk about out successes and failures. I easily clear 500ish a month when I put my mind to it. EBay can become your new gun/computer/baby/booze fund!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Reserved for Goon Ebay Pages!

Captain Log - OldCaptainLog
https://www.ebay.com/usr/oldcaptainlog

Infrared35 - Infrared 35
https://www.ebay.com/sch/infrared35/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 1, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'll be editing and adding to the OP as appropriate. I could rattle off a five hundred page treatise about loving Domo Qee figurines, let alone all the particulars of Ebay. But as with the forum mantra "JUST POST" on ebay, "JUST SELL!" I normally run between fifty and one hundred auctions and it takes up to about...thirty minutes a day.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

If you purchase your postage through Ebay, you’ll save ten or twenty percent, and it will automatically load your tracking number for the end user to see.

Also, eBay lets you purchase first-class postage where appropriate, which is way cheaper than going through the usps.com web site which only lets you buy Priority Mail labels.

Here's my eBay page, I guess? I don't have anything listed right now but by tonight it'l be a veritable beehive of used holsters, gun parts, and ancient camera gear!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Also, eBay lets you purchase first-class postage where appropriate, which is way cheaper than going through the usps.com web site which only lets you buy Priority Mail labels.

Here's my eBay page, I guess? I don't have anything listed right now but by tonight it'l be a veritable beehive of used holsters, gun parts, and ancient camera gear!

Added to the Ebay Goon post!

Here is something I'm trying to add to the OP but can't quite figure out how to phrase it -

The cell phone app is roughly 800% easier to use than the physical website. Their website is trying to join in on the Web 10.0 bullshit and it doesn't work at times.

With the phone app, you can set an auction to relist up to ten times. I RARELY have an item sell in the first week it's up.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Okay, so what's the deal with bulk selling? What is it, should I do it, how do I do it?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Okay, so what's the deal with bulk selling? What is it, should I do it, how do I do it?

Excellent question!

Ebay will try pretty hard to get you to use their bulk selling "tool." I'd recommend against it unless you have hundreds of an item. It will want exact weights, dimensions, and all sorts of poo poo. Here is how I do it -

Method One - Using the phone app, when an auction is complete, you can open up the completed sale page and scroll towards the bottom. Select, "Sell Similar Item" not "Repost Item." This will make it look less like you are AliBaba and more like a person. It will also give you an option to replace the pictures. Do this if the item got less than 25 views.

Method Two - When beginning an auction, on the final page, go into preferences. You can add an item quantity to the auction.

I have not done this second method too often personally. After an auction with multiple bids, you will have the option to send "Second Chance Offers" to people who bid but didn't win. Use this option wisely, and you'll unload excess items a good deal quicker.

Also, descriptions - Be exact, but let the pictures do the talking. This isn't GunBroker, nobody wants to read the entire second amendment and your personal opinions about politics. Stick to the basics.

On questions from buyers - If a person sends you a single question and thanks you afterwards, that's a sale. If a person sends you fifteen questions, that's an rear end in a top hat who is wasting your time. Respond, but don't try and facilitate having eighteen interactions with a rando per sale.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

I appreciate this thread, and was wondering how you figure out pricing.
Like, it's an auction but you still do minimum bids and a Buy It Now, yeah? So any tricks to figuring out value?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

TheNothingNew posted:

I appreciate this thread, and was wondering how you figure out pricing.
Like, it's an auction but you still do minimum bids and a Buy It Now, yeah? So any tricks to figuring out value?

Great question and will probably be added to the OP.

Personally, I grew up in an antique shop and was really into nerdy collecting. It's largely a gut feeling. But if you are starting out, I'd say do the following -

Search Ebay Auctions - Take note of which ones are just ridiculous BUY IT NOW prices that will never sell. You want to look for stuff with active bids OR an active "X amount sold" listing under the price.

Check Amazon - Tons of people sell stuff secondhand there, and many ebay people maintain a presence on both sites.

General Google Search - I have no loving clue how it all shakes out, but sometimes completed auctions are searchable through Google. This is the best info, because you know a price that the item sold for, how many watchers, etc.

For anything deeper, I rely on my own knowledge or have some friends and colleagues I can ask. Is there something specific in mind that you are looking to auction?

Also, some things are really hot, sell fast items (looking at you, Series One Mystery Mini Horror Edition Blind Box Vinyls) and some stuff that will sit for months. (Looking at you, Soldier 76 Funko POP) Getting to the point of predicting trends takes time, but can make you money.

Hit me with questions, folks. The OP is a living, breathing thing and I can put the best questions up there.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

But what about the laundry soap

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Bummey posted:

But what about the laundry soap

Here you go you weird goon.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I had an ex that did that but in a blender so you had dry laundry detergent. After we split i had like ten pounds of the stuff and it lasted me a couple of years of doing laundry weekly. And i think it only cost abou 8 bux or so to make it all.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Seriously, people. This thread is so you DON'T have to use fake detergent that involves Borax.

I think my next effort post will be "A tale of two auctions" showing differences in types of pictures. We'll see.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Seriously, people. This thread is so you DON'T have to use fake detergent that involves Borax.

I think my next effort post will be "A tale of two auctions" showing differences in types of pictures. We'll see.

but what if goons want to maximize their profits?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

but what if goons want to maximize their profits?

I'll send them a quarter and they can spend their time doing something, anything more useful than making soap. I can say unequivocally that any goon's time is more valuable than that.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I'll send them a quarter and they can spend their time doing something, anything more useful than making soap. I can say unequivocally that any goon's time is more valuable than that.

I haven't done it myself but it sure seems like a pretty fire and forget type process im sticking to kirkland signature detergent tyvm.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

How do I ship things cheap?

I have a life time of random nerd and gun junk in storage but I doubt I could get much for any given item.

Is there some cut off where something is too cheap and or heavy to be worth bothering with?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Numlock posted:

How do I ship things cheap?

I have a life time of random nerd and gun junk in storage but I doubt I could get much for any given item.

Is there some cut off where something is too cheap and or heavy to be worth bothering with?

Excellent Question -

A common newbie mistake is to think, "This isn't worth selling." The correct thing to think is, "This isn't worth shipping."

I'll be completely open with my numbers on ebay for the past year, because Sept. 20th I'll have reached the "Power Seller" status. The requirements for that are 100 sales in a year with over one thousand in cash being made. We'll get back to that in a minute.

My personal cut off is as follows,

First ten items you sell - Sell them for the ratings alone. Most people will not deal with a person who has below ten sales.

After ten sales - I try to clear five bucks on everything. I sell a poo poo ton of funko stuff for about ten bucks. A 3oz first class USPS package costs 2.66 with your Ebay discount. This equals about seven bucks profit per sale.

After one hundred sales - Five bucks profit minimum.

In the past year, I've made 1200.05 bucks off ebay. This doesn't count private auctions, which is where heavier money can be made.

Why you want to be a Power Seller - I'll report back in a month, but having a Power Seller icon with a 100% satisfaction rate is supposed to increase sales and solely by showing you are a trust worthy person who values customer satisfaction. For your first one hundred ratings, you just need to be doing everything to get them. Nobody wants to buy from someone they perceive as a teenager.

How to offer "Free" shipping - People get downright pissy about having to pay for shipping. They assume you have the same buying power as Amazon, and should offer comparable shipping rates. Unless it's a "carded action figure" or a piece of art, I offer free shipping. This means no arguing about shipping rates (happens about 50% of the time) and saves a good deal of time. So, just pad your item cost with three to six bucks, this will more than take care of shipping whilst offering the appearance of being competitive with Amazon.

I'll post about photos later on, I'm paging through auctions looking for good examples. You don't want to look like a big box store, but you also don't want to look incompetent.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Is there any advantage to having a "store" versus just listing a bunch of stuff with a "buy it now" price?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

How many hours went into the $1,200? Has your endeavor been a low intensity spare cash generator or are you putting decent amounts of time into it?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Is there any advantage to having a "store" versus just listing a bunch of stuff with a "buy it now" price?

That is mostly just how you phrase it. People like to say, "My Ebay Business" blah blah blah rather than "My auctions."

Personally, I give most things a high "Buy It Now" and a low auction starting point. It's burned me a few times (looking at you, boxed Corgi cars), but normally works out in my favour.

Things that you aren't sure about that have appeal, try just doing a straight auction. But there is a known, "Weekend Drunk" factor that you can take advantage of it things that are nerdy. Apparently nerds like to get drink and go shopping.

DeesGrandpa posted:

How many hours went into the $1,200? Has your endeavor been a low intensity spare cash generator or are you putting decent amounts of time into it?

The first ten auctions were a little time consuming. Once I mastered the, "Sell Item Like This" feature, I'd say about fifteen minutes a day. The time consuming thing is research. If you are operating in an area you are good in, it will go quicker.

I may have to expand to doing eBay full time depending on my legs, and it's totally doable. I find as a rule of thumb, about ten percent of your given auctions in a week will sell. This number goes up tenfold if you factor in multiple months. It's why I try to have five auctions up a day. I've been slacking lately, but really busy.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

That is mostly just how you phrase it. People like to say, "My Ebay Business" blah blah blah rather than "My auctions."

I guess what I would like to do is the "5% discount for buying two items, 10% for buying three or more" kind of thing. How do I do that?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I guess what I would like to do is the "5% discount for buying two items, 10% for buying three or more" kind of thing. How do I do that?

I'm honestly not sure you can do that "officially." Ebay will automatically bundle your shipping to save money. You are completely allowed to say in your terms, "DISCOUNTS FOR MULTIPLE PURCHASES!" but I honestly don't think anyone would notice. Ebay tends to be bottom of the barrel, price-wise.

If you have a great deal of an item, I would mention bulk discounts being available. But that would be between you and the buyer.

Keep in mind that it's against the terms of service to use an outside email address and conduct business outside of ebay. It's considered really lovely and shady, but about once a week I get a SOB story saying, "I'm trying to save up for some silver and was hoping you could knock three dollars of the price of your silver rum decanter." If you stick to using ebays channels for communication, your rear end is covered.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

I have a person eBay cutoff that I won’t try selling something that won’t net me $100. I tend to resell high end hunting gear and nice bikes/frames/components so that isn’t particularly hard. I usually run 2-4 auctions to end at the same time so I ship at the same time.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I just listed 20 items thanks to this thread. I plan to add items as things sell, hoping to keep it at 20.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I just listed 20 items thanks to this thread. I plan to add items as things sell, hoping to keep it at 20.

:respek: Keep us posted! I keep paging through your auctions every day or two. :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I have a person eBay cutoff that I won’t try selling something that won’t net me $100. I tend to resell high end hunting gear and nice bikes/frames/components so that isn’t particularly hard. I usually run 2-4 auctions to end at the same time so I ship at the same time.

Sorry for the double post, but if you'd like I'll add your page to the OP.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Granted, I've been on eBay for twenty years, but my all-time sales total is over $24,000. That stuff does add up.

Just don't ask me how much money I've spent on eBay over that time frame. :negative:

Edit: And apparently I'm at 80 sales for the year, so I only need twenty more to get Power Seller status or whatever.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 4, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Granted, I've been on eBay for twenty years, but my all-time total is over $24,000. That stuff does add up.

Just don't ask me how much I've spent on eBay over that time frame. :negative:

And apparently I'm at 80 sales for the year, so I only need twenty more to get Power Seller status or whatever.

I just tried to find a gif of The Waterboy "You Can Do It!" thing, and Imgur came up with dick all.

We're getting old.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Captain Log posted:

I just tried to find a gif of The Waterboy "You Can Do It!" thing, and Imgur came up with dick all.

We're getting old.

I searched "you can do it gif" and got this:

e: sorry for the lack of steak pictures recently, i have not been eating much rare meat

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ophidian posted:

I searched "you can do it gif" and got this:

e: sorry for the lack of steak pictures recently, i have not been eating much rare meat

I find your lack of steak, disturbing.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Captain Log posted:

I find your lack of steak, disturbing.

While I am made of steak, I am not made of steaks.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ophidian posted:

While I am made of steak, I am not made of steaks.

any meat can be steak. you're made of meat

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Bummey posted:

any meat can be steak. you're made of meat

To avoid further confusion: I don't want to spend a lot of money on steaks just for the purposes of sending pictures o them to Captain Log

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ugh; I just had a first in my eBay "career" - dude made an offer on a holster I'm selling. I accepted the offer. He paid immediately with Paypal, I printed off postage and got it packed and ready to go.

Ten minutes later, he sent me a message. "Uh, don't ship that holster because I will ship it back as defective. I don't know what's up with it but it doesn't cover the trigger guard and Galco's web site clearly shows that model of holster covering the trigger guard. That holster is unsafe and may be a factory second or something, I found another one that I'm going to buy instead. Just send me my money back; I'd prefer not to get eBay involved."

The holster isn't defective. It's just thirty years old. Some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s holsters started covering up the trigger guards on revolvers.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Ugh; I just had a first in my eBay "career" - dude made an offer on a holster I'm selling. I accepted the offer. He paid immediately with Paypal, I printed off postage and got it packed and ready to go.

Ten minutes later, he sent me a message. "Uh, don't ship that holster because I will ship it back as defective. I don't know what's up with it but it doesn't cover the trigger guard and Galco's web site clearly shows that model of holster covering the trigger guard. That holster is unsafe and may be a factory second or something, I found another one that I'm going to buy instead. Just send me my money back; I'd prefer not to get eBay involved."

The holster isn't defective. It's just thirty years old. Some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s holsters started covering up the trigger guards on revolvers.

Please God save copies of everything and call eBay. That dude needs his account banned.

Related -

When making a new auction, in preferences, you'll see a weird tab that says, "BUYER RESTRICTIONS" that is automatically off. If you turn this on, eBay doesn't love it, but you absolutely should. It keeps buyers who have had an unpaid item in the last month or two unpaid items ever from bidding. Since I do a bunch of toys, this is a loving must.

USE BUYER RESTRICTIONS!

Also, flipping the switch that says, "Require immediate PayPal payment with "Buy it Now" is also helpful to weed out idiots.

My biggest re-occurring problem is peoples not paying on time or at all. It almost exclusively happens with pocket knives.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

I did Ebay for parts some time ago. Hated that both ebay and paypal took a cut, and that paypal was unavoidable. Did a mess of selling on gunbroker. Flawless rep on both but these days I mainly sell stuff over forums to avoid paying fees.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hasselblad posted:

I did Ebay for parts some time ago. Hated that both ebay and paypal took a cut, and that paypal was unavoidable. Did a mess of selling on gunbroker. Flawless rep on both but these days I mainly sell stuff over forums to avoid paying fees.

As you should. Private sales are awesome for that reason.

But I have to say, those fees are nominal. It’s hard to beat for a large scale auction house.

Oh, if you want to experience insanity, sell on Facebook. It’s like the only people who sell on there forgot their medication for a solid decade.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

infrared35 posted:

Try to avoid getting ebay/paypal involved. They will 100% gently caress the seller over every time. My experience with ebay is even when a buyer admits to immediately breaking the item he received, I should have anticipated him being a total drooling retard. Ebay sided with him and tried to pull the money directly from my bank account. gently caress ebay and paypal. They will gently caress you any chance they get, you're better off not using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

BrianM87 posted:

Try to avoid getting ebay/paypal involved. They will 100% gently caress the seller over every time. My experience with ebay is even when a buyer admits to immediately breaking the item he received, I should have anticipated him being a total drooling retard. Ebay sided with him and tried to pull the money directly from my bank account. gently caress ebay and paypal. They will gently caress you any chance they get, you're better off not using them.

I sold a camera and PayPal refused to release my money until the buyer would post a positive feedback (cannot recall if there was a time limit). Many buyers do not leave any feedback at all and I had to actually contact the guy and ask him to leave it so I could get the money he paid for it.

gently caress PP. I utilize it, but the money transferred to me doesn't stay in their hands for a second longer than it takes me to yank it out.