Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I'm going to stick to ebay and see. If anyone's curious, it's a scope mount for an M1D they are trying to sell for $795, and there's been multiple others ending around 550-650 this past month. Theirs is a nicer one with the original screws, so I offered $700. Basically, I'm willing to pay a bit more than the going rate for a better example but not $800.

Haven't heard back, but it's still sitting at zero bids. Eh. There will always be more for sale down the road.

Edit: Haaaaaaa, they listed it on GB for the BIN, and pulled the ebay listing. Then messaged me suggested I look for a specific auction # on GB. Works for me.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Random thing I found out last week that maybe I've missed seeing mentioned in this thread (or maybe everyone already knew it), but I bought off ebay.com from a UK seller and turns out ebay passes the currency conversion cost onto me (by billing my CC as a foreign transaction), not a big deal as it was 67 cents and I'm just going to change my ebay CC to my chase card that does free foreign transactions, but it was annoying and to my mind a hidden fee that ebay doesn't do much to tell you will happen.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I'm going to stick to ebay and see. If anyone's curious, it's a scope mount for an M1D they are trying to sell for $795, and there's been multiple others ending around 550-650 this past month. Theirs is a nicer one with the original screws, so I offered $700. Basically, I'm willing to pay a bit more than the going rate for a better example but not $800.

Haven't heard back, but it's still sitting at zero bids. Eh. There will always be more for sale down the road.

Edit: Haaaaaaa, they listed it on GB for the BIN, and pulled the ebay listing. Then messaged me suggested I look for a specific auction # on GB. Works for me.

What I told you was being purposely paranoid, because you never know what kind of person is at the other end of the account. But if you establish good rapport, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying. Just be careful.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Captain Log posted:

What I told you was being purposely paranoid, because you never know what kind of person is at the other end of the account. But if you establish good rapport, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying. Just be careful.

Oh it's all good. I've done some transactions off gunbroker but always as a seller so a bit safer for me. It all seems to be working out, but I wish he'd pull the ebay listing just to know that he isn't trying to double sell it I guess. Once I have it in my hands, guess I'll need to buy the rifle for it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Oh it's all good. I've done some transactions off gunbroker but always as a seller so a bit safer for me. It all seems to be working out, but I wish he'd pull the ebay listing just to know that he isn't trying to double sell it I guess. Once I have it in my hands, guess I'll need to buy the rifle for it.

I can tell you this much - There are a lot of people who sell one item on multiple sites. I don't really like the practice, because things can get double sold. It's only happened to me as a buyer.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Welp; all my gunbroker auctions state that I accept payment via discreet PayPal. And when I send out payment instructions, I tell the buyer not to mention anything about guns or gunbroker.

Just got a PayPal payment with the note: "HI THIS IS PAYMENT FOR THE GLOCK 23 .40 CALIBER PISTOL YOU ARE SELLING ON GUNBROKER.COM"

Countdown to ban hammer?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infrared35 posted:

Welp; all my gunbroker auctions state that I accept payment via discreet PayPal. And when I send out payment instructions, I tell the buyer not to mention anything about guns or gunbroker.

Just got a PayPal payment with the note: "HI THIS IS PAYMENT FOR THE GLOCK 23 .40 CALIBER PISTOL YOU ARE SELLING ON GUNBROKER.COM"

Countdown to ban hammer?

comedy chaos option: report the buyer as a harassing transaction

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Midjack posted:

comedy chaos option: report the buyer as a harassing transaction

Do this for real. Itís probably the only way to keep your account.

Also make sure you pull all your money out now and sever bank account connections.

Goddamn what an idiot. Who doesnít know the PayPal dance at this point?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

infrared35 posted:

Countdown to ban hammer?

https://youtu.be/2nG7aix-VO4

But yeah, RIP your paypal I guess. What a loving dunce

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also make sure you pull all your money out now and sever bank account connections.

Already done. Only left a closed credit card linked to it.

Just when I think I've got a handle on how stupid people are, they suddenly surpass my expectations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

In the future, I'd set up a different PayPal for gun transactions.

Does PayPal really have bots running to track down GUN keywords?

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

That's one step above the public venmo transactions that are just "money for weed, thx" and "hooker".

Log - I'm reasonably sure that they look for keywords, yeah.

In other news, ebay told me to call the cops...

I ordered two items from the same seller, both shipped with the same tracking # but only one was in the box. So I waited a couple days then hit him up asking if the other shipped separately or whatever. No response to the case, so I had to escalate it. eBay automatically closed the case in the seller's favor - tracking said delivered after all. So I called and the very helpful guy explained that he totally understood what happened here and he would take care of it just first I had to get a police report? Why, I ask. Because it's your word against the seller's. But, he hasn't even replied, I say. Doesn't matter, we need evidence. I ask what the police report proves other than my word. Criminals don't talk to the cops. eBay man got me there, I guess. I thanked him, but declined to call the cops on some guy on the internet over a $50 mistake.

I googled the store name and found a phone number instead. Dude was super nice, couldn't find the case on his end, but the tracking said the weight so he knew I wasn't full of poo poo. I had tracking info 30 minutes later and I think he appreciated that I didn't call the cops.

I've always had good experiences with ebay cs as a buyer, so it was a weird one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That rep is a moron. I hope you have a way to tell eBay about it. Thatís asinine.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This coin, in this condition, is worth five bucks on an extremely good day.

But I'm not linking this for the asinine price. I'm linking it for the photographs. If you page through them quickly, you will vomit from motion sickness.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANCIENT-YEAR-1320-BRONZE-MOROCCO-COIN-10-MAZUNAS/303934090906?hash=item46c3e22e9a:g:QvcAAOSwERdgUp3Y

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

So I'm selling an old ham radio antenna tuner. I started it at fifty bucks and it immediately got a bid. Now it's up to $52, with two days to go. And I get this message:

quote:

Ups i did not read specifikations correct.

It do not fit my needed frequency range

Will you cancel please

Shure you will get it sold to another

Nice product

Sorry

Best regards
Be by

Granted, the dude is from the Netherlands. But come on, man. Don't bid on an item in a foreign country until you've read the description.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

So I'm selling an old ham radio antenna tuner. I started it at fifty bucks and it immediately got a bid. Now it's up to $52, with two days to go. And I get this message:

Granted, the dude is from the Netherlands. But come on, man. Don't bid on an item in a foreign country until you've read the description.

I probably get one or two cancelled bids a month. It's an infuriating thing that shouldn't exist, but at least this particular doofus was kind enough to send a message.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dude on eBay sent me a message about a holster I have listed for $60:

quote:

Would you sell for $45. Shipped. Im not a tight low baller, but just broke and trying to get a decent holster for affordable price.

Classic sob story, but sure, why not. Get it out of here. I sent him an offer two days ago for $45, and he hasn't gotten back to me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Dude on eBay sent me a message about a holster I have listed for $60:

Classic sob story, but sure, why not. Get it out of here. I sent him an offer two days ago for $45, and he hasn't gotten back to me.

I've never listened to a single sob story, but if the person makes a reasonable offer I'm always apt to listen. But mostly do auctions, because most of my little auctions are collectible. I can't tell you how many "My SON is trying to save up for your $10 underpriced figure. Could you let it go for $5?" stories.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

"I'd love to, but I'm trying to make enough to pay rent this month, and as a COVID-riddled orphan..."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

RELEVANT poo poo ABOUT MANAGED PAYMENTS!!!

I just got off a long, irritating phone call with Ebay about managed payments. Here is the gist of it -

My father opened a bank account for managed payments with a hundred bucks in it. We entered it a week ago.

Ebay started charging it for Final Value Fees and shipping.

It quickly went negative, because my sales were not putting funds in the account. My sales were still going to PayPal.

They were charging the managed payment account for everything, but adding sales to my PayPal account.

All my auctions made before I entered into managed payments will pay to PayPal. All my fees will come from the bank account.

Auctions I've made AFTER entering into managed payments will pay into the bank account.
----------------
God drat, this whole managed payments thing better not drive off buyers.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

RELEVANT poo poo ABOUT MANAGED PAYMENTS!!!

I just got off a long, irritating phone call with Ebay about managed payments. Here is the gist of it -

My father opened a bank account for managed payments with a hundred bucks in it. We entered it a week ago.

Ebay started charging it for Final Value Fees and shipping.

It quickly went negative, because my sales were not putting funds in the account. My sales were still going to PayPal.

They were charging the managed payment account for everything, but adding sales to my PayPal account.

All my auctions made before I entered into managed payments will pay to PayPal. All my fees will come from the bank account.

Auctions I've made AFTER entering into managed payments will pay into the bank account.
----------------
God drat, this whole managed payments thing better not drive off buyers.

Yeah, it was a minor headache for me at first. Now I have it pay out to my bank account once a week, after all my shipping costs come off the top (from the managed payments account).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, it was a minor headache for me at first. Now I have it pay out to my bank account once a week, after all my shipping costs come off the top (from the managed payments account).

I run about 40-50 auctions at a time, some of them months long.

This is going to be a pain in the rear end for a while and I'm irked I didn't know about this ahead of time. Ebay was all, "SIGN UP NOW IT'S BETTER WE PROMISE!!!" without really laying out the catches.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The same as it ever was, with a variation:

A guy messaged me regarding an auction I have up for $45 (set to accept offers of at least $40). He said the system wasn't accepting his $35 bid so I needed to go in and change my offer settings to accept his lower bid.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

The same as it ever was, with a variation:

A guy messaged me regarding an auction I have up for $45 (set to accept offers of at least $40). He said the system wasn't accepting his $35 bid so I needed to go in and change my offer settings to accept his lower bid.

Well, that was certainly helpful.

I guess it doesn't tell them what the minimum bid is?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

Well, that was certainly helpful.

I guess it doesn't tell them what the minimum bid is?

Nope; you have like three chances to make offers that get rejected. A smart person decides how much they want to pay, puts in that offers, and it's either accepted or rejected. People who can't stick to what they want to pay, or get into some weird ego battle with themselves about wining the auction no matter what, find themselves in the situation this guy is in - putting in a low offer that gets rejected (and maybe burning up his three chances), and then messaging the seller asking them to lower the price.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I love it!

That's like some old fella (because of course it'd be an old fella) going up to the counter at some place that has soda machines outside and asking them to fix their machine, because he put a nickle in and it won't give him that Pepsi Mango Zero Sugar that he's been wanting to try.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I always want to ask these people if they dicker at Walmart.

Don't get me wrong, I go back and forth with offers myself. But when people just CANNOT ACCEPT their offer not being good enough, I wish I could somehow laugh in their face.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Do you even respond to some cheese message like that or just ignore it?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Midjack posted:

Do you even respond to some cheese message like that or just ignore it?

Usually I respond back with something like ďI think I set it to automatically accept offers of at least $40Ē and leave it at that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I turn on my maddening customer service tone and talk to them like children.

I sure as gently caress donít give them any clues.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This description for a fair quality Moroccan bill is amazing. The listing isn't the important part. It's the following words -

Just remember - Please, not the neighbord...

----------------------------

Uuuu, i am really excited, just get back home with a collection.

had a coffe , scanned the banknotes and here we go

Let's buy more stuff from here (my auction and not the one of the neighbord...))

and get a combined invoice for free
Well nothing is free,
I'am gonna just send the combined invoice for free....
I charge 1 usd per order not per items , yes 1 usd and i'll pay the difference.

Orders above 70 usd will be charged 10 usd
Please do not try to do order 69.95 to get the 1 usd shipping.

this auction is listed in USD and must be paid in the same currency.

One more things, when you send me an email, try to say hello,good morning, or something similare and avoid
Hey Boss, my Friend and others.
The quality of my answers will be impacted by the way you behave.

Good luck to all, and wishing you some lucky found here.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

This description for a fair quality Moroccan bill is amazing. The listing isn't the important part. It's the following words -

Just remember - Please, not the neighbord...

----------------------------

Uuuu, i am really excited, just get back home with a collection.

had a coffe , scanned the banknotes and here we go

Let's buy more stuff from here (my auction and not the one of the neighbord...))

and get a combined invoice for free
Well nothing is free,
I'am gonna just send the combined invoice for free....
I charge 1 usd per order not per items , yes 1 usd and i'll pay the difference.

Orders above 70 usd will be charged 10 usd
Please do not try to do order 69.95 to get the 1 usd shipping.

this auction is listed in USD and must be paid in the same currency.

One more things, when you send me an email, try to say hello,good morning, or something similare and avoid
Hey Boss, my Friend and others.
The quality of my answers will be impacted by the way you behave.

Good luck to all, and wishing you some lucky found here.

That wouldn't happen to be an eBay user by the name of Victor Ravelo, is it? Back in the early 2000s I was following that dude because his descriptions were unintentionally hilarious.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

That wouldn't happen to be an eBay user by the name of Victor Ravelo, is it? Back in the early 2000s I was following that dude because his descriptions were unintentionally hilarious.

I'm having a hell of a time digging the listing back up.

Please, Beware The Neighbord.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Selling on Ebay - wishing you some lucky found here

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Same poo poo, different day: I have four G33 mags listed for $24 each and free shipping. I have it set up so if you buy four or more items from me, you get 20% off the order. So if someone added all four mags to their cart individually, it should come to like $76 and shipping is still free. I say as much in response to a buyer's price offers.

Dude messages me: "I don't want to go through all that. I want all four mags for $70 and free shipping."

We all want things, Binky.

Edit: After taking shipping out and accounting for seller fees, I'd be making $58 for four Glock mags. That's less than fifteen bucks each.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 9, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Same poo poo, different day: I have four G33 mags listed for $24 each and free shipping. I have it set up so if you buy four or more items from me, you get 20% off the order. So if someone added all four mags to their cart individually, it should come to like $76 and shipping is still free. I say as much in response to a buyer's price offers.

Dude messages me: "I don't want to go through all that. I want all four mags for $70 and free shipping."

We all want things, Binky.

Edit: After taking shipping out and accounting for seller fees, I'd be making $58 for four Glock mags. That's less than fifteen bucks each.

People are the worst. Ask him if he haggles at Wal Mart.

That reminds me of an exchange I just had.

The majority of my sales are small, but sometimes I have a $100-200 collectable go up. I've got this generating a lot of interest - a Star Wars POTF European Miscard. The miscard is loving Boba Fett, too. If it didn't have a crease on the card, the starting price would be closer to $200. I already got an offer for $250, but unfortunately the unexpected import duties were too severe for the person to close on it.

This generated nine watchers, but didn't get a bid in the first week. Anything much higher than $50 that isn't underpriced takes a couple weeks for a bid, because people want to see if you'll drop the price. Once this gets a bid and creates some urgency, other people will be taking potshots too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184824216585

I got this message -

"Hi mate I just this ended . Whatís yiur best price and do u ship to Uk"

I respond -

"Greetings,

Due to the amount of watchers this auction received, I am not taking offers at this time. But the auction is re-listed and open for bids.
I only ship using Ebay's Global shipping program. If you follow the links on the listing, it should be able to give you a quote for shipping and import fees.

Happy bidding and best regards,"

Then this is the reply -

"I wonít bid buddy. All the watchers didnít either but definitely would work with you for a better price"

Oooooooh calling me buddy pissed me off enough I'm waffling on if I'm going to ban him from my store. Some jackass talking down to me over an extremely rare collectible makes me want to mail him a bag of poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This is a gross. "Buy my dirty t-shirts. Just be sure to bid-as-if-they-may-not...because no returns.

------------------------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254972773136?hash=item3b5d8fc310:g:wPUAAOSwYihgl9vu

I am selling a large number of black shirts that may have minor white detergent streaks / marks due to the washing machine in my apartment building not fully rinsing. These should come out with no problem during your next wash, but please bid as if they may not as there are no returns

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

what did you search for on the ebay to find such a thing?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My freshman year RA in college sold his used underwear on eBay for beer money. There were several repeat buyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tangy yet delightful posted:

what did you search for on the ebay to find such a thing?

One of the few toys I allow myself to collect are 1990's Mini Boglins, a weird toy that started in the UK with these big puppets. They were designed by a guy who designed a lot of Muppets for Jim Henson. New Boglins are being released, so the market for them has gone crazy.

Apparently, the market has gone nuts enough with nostalgia some dude wants to sell a literally crusty shirt.