Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

infrared35 posted:

Hey Log, did you see the Bad With Money thread where eBay closed a bunch of this dude's listings and charged him final value and early closing fees because he was selling...

US Mint coin sets. Because...

There's no way to prove they're NOT counterfeit.

Or something.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=833#post517233319

:stare:

Iíll give that a good stare when Iím back in. Sounds fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

:stare:

Iíll give that a good stare when Iím back in. Sounds fishy.

I'm guessing a competitor reported him for counterfeits just to sideline him for a while, but he had a heck of a time reversing it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Not going to post in business and finance or comment on that dudes business.

First off, there is always some loving goons with their :smug: devilís advocate bullshit. Of course that guy must be lying, because Iím on the internet and the arbiter or everything I see.

Anyways, $10 on someone got mad and reported him. He got loving by automated bullshit and then made a huge mistake.

He should have blown past that rep after ten minutes. 9 out of 10 times EBay reps are great. When they arenít, itís normally a language thing. You just gotta create a new ticket, call, or escalate to a manager.

$600+ in fees?! Dude must move some major weight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Oh hey thread. Log you'll appreciate this.

There's a Mauser book that I wanted to buy and waited slightly too long on, so the publisher is out of the scratch and dent copies they were selling. Oh well, off to eBay before it goes nuts.

Right now you can get it on Amazon for $200.

I found someone on eBay selling it for about $175 shipped. That's OK, but not great. The listing was a book seller and the photos were your basic stock images of the cover, so I figured i wasn't going to talk them down. Typical account with five figure feedback. Then I found someone with under 100 feedback with pictures of the book that were clearly taken on a bedspread. They also had a few other auctions for similar books up, no doubles, just smelled like someone selling their dead spouse's or dads or whatever bookshelf. They wanted loving $300 for it, but had make an offer enabled.

I tossed them an offer of $130 (they had $20 shipping) with a link to the other auction and a note that if they got it under $165 I'd buy it from them.

Here's the response:

"Please buy the book from <name of the other seller>. I hope he only has the one copy to sell as the Amazon listings are at $190+, so, I'll do better down the road. Thank you for your info."

:psyduck:

The Amazon listings are $190, you clearly know that. I can just go to Amazon and buy it right now for literally two thirds of what you want. $100 less. So you're going to stay pat at 150% of what Amazon will sell it to me for?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a Mauser book that I wanted to buy and waited slightly too long on, so the publisher is out of the scratch and dent copies they were selling. Oh well, off to eBay before it goes nuts.

I found someone on eBay selling it for about $175 shipped. That's OK, but not great. The listing was a book seller and the photos were your basic stock images of the cover, so I figured i wasn't going to talk them down. Typical account with five figure feedback. Then I found someone with under 100 feedback with pictures of the book that were clearly taken on a bedspread. They also had a few other auctions for similar books up, no doubles, just smelled like someone selling their dead spouse's or dads or whatever bookshelf. They wanted loving $300 for it, but had make an offer enabled.

I tossed them an offer of $130 (they had $20 shipping) with a link to the other auction and a note that if they got it under $165 I'd buy it from them.

Here's the response:

"Please buy the book from <name of the other seller>. I hope he only has the one copy to sell as the Amazon listings are at $190+, so, I'll do better down the road. Thank you for your info."

The Amazon listings are $190, you clearly know that. I can just go to Amazon and buy it right now for literally two thirds of what you want. $100 less. So you're going to stay pat at 150% of what Amazon will sell it to me for?

That's... uhm... OK... that's not how haggling works, right? Because I've sold some stuff on Facebook Marketplace before. Last year, I sold a couple of my old basses. What I didn't do was look up their brand new price on Guitar Center and multiply it by 1.33. I figured that'd be really dumb.

Then again, if I wasn't in a hurry to unload the stuff, sooner or later, I would have hooked me a right proper idiot who'd gladly fork over the money while saying, "I didn't lowball you because I know what you got!"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here's the response:

In the Craigslist used car section, we call this the "I know what I have."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here's the response:

I forget where I posted it, but someone is selling two Moroccan emergency notes for $750. They started out at $375, then doubled the next week. On a really, really good day they might be worth $40 as a pair. Probably more like $30.

The person's logic? "I see two that are professionally graded MS (Mint State) 64 and 65 going for $200 and mine are way better."

I wish I could visit their brain just to see what the gently caress hooting noises power such stupidity.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Captain Log posted:

I wish I could visit their brain just to see what the gently caress hooting noises power such stupidity.

I'd make a bird brain joke but honestly I wouldn't want to insult Sierra.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd make a bird brain joke but honestly I wouldn't want to insult Sierra.

Somebody nearby has a question. Who is Sierra?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

HENLO BIRB

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

HENLO BIRB

:Birb activates Double-Poof:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I just got a first.

I'm selling a vintage Giant's baseball pennant for the average price of $50. Not real high, not real low. I'm never in a hurry to sell, so no big rush.

This exact message just came in about it -

"Hllo
Do you accept US Postal money orders?"

:hmmno:

This person, based in the US, has been a member since 1999 and has 941 transactions. But only two instances of feedback in the past twelve months, one of them being hidden.

Asks to pay with a US Postal Money order, which I didn't know still existed. Also, couldn't correctly spell hello. Did someone just wake up from a two decade coma or have a stroke?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Postal money orders should generally be good I think. I've used them to pay stuff in the past. Also, I've had an ebay account for ages but very, very rarely use it. So I wouldn't discredit this person based just on those details. Then again I'm sure there's some scam possibility so ymmv.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

armorer posted:

Postal money orders should generally be good I think. I've used them to pay stuff in the past. Also, I've had an ebay account for ages but very, very rarely use it. So I wouldn't discredit this person based just on those details. Then again I'm sure there's some scam possibility so ymmv.

They can be counterfeited.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2018/pb22484/html/mo_003.htm

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sure, I'm not suggesting blind acceptance of one. Just that they are a legit payment method.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Captain Log posted:

I just got a first.

I'm selling a vintage Giant's baseball pennant for the average price of $50. Not real high, not real low. I'm never in a hurry to sell, so no big rush.

"Hllo

This person, based in the US, has been a member since 1999 and has 941 transactions. But only two instances of feedback in the past twelve months, one of them being hidden.

Asks to pay with a US Postal Money order, which I didn't know still existed. Also, couldn't correctly spell hello. Did someone just wake up from a two decade coma or have a stroke?

Tell them you accept US Postal Money Orders only if accompanied by a faxed order form for the item.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I just got a first.

"Hllo

I bought a motorcycle from a private seller with them a couple of weeks ago. They still get some use.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hah, money orders in advance was a thing on ebay back in 1999, maybe they just woke up from a coma.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I've always made people pay for firearms I've sold through USPS money orders or cashiers checks. Preferably USPS money orders, as they are easy to confirm they are real & can be mobile deposited. The loving worst are the lovely money orders from walmart or random corner stores that can only be deposited in person or at one of their locations.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 2, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

On Ebay, you can only pay through the website for the safety of the buyer and seller. Everything else is strictly off limits and can get your account banned.

It has been that way for a long rear end time.

I sent them a copy/paste from Ebay's TOS. But it was alarmingly like I was dealing with a person from 1999.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

taqueso posted:

Hah, money orders in advance was a thing on ebay back in 1999, maybe they just woke up from a coma.

The coma theory is gaining credence. This was after I told him, ďNo, I will not risk getting my account suspended for a loving money order.Ē But nicer.

óóóóóóó

ď Hello
Thanks for the email. I am a long time ebay member and have bought all of my auction items with money orders. I would love to bid on your pennant. i have a very good record. please let me know if you reconsider.
ThanksĒ

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

If USPS money orders went away, half the buyers on gunbroker would be SOL. So many people over there refuse to trust any online payment method.

In my experience, a USPS money order is fine but take it right to the post office to cash it before you ship. They check right there to make sure it's legit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The thing that irks me is the guy is asking me to break Ebay's policies so he can pay with a money order. Unless he literally hasn't bought anything in twenty years, he absolutely has not used money orders for 941 orders on Ebay.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

infrared35 posted:

If USPS money orders went away, half the buyers on gunbroker would be SOL. So many people over there refuse to trust any online payment method.

In my experience, a USPS money order is fine but take it right to the post office to cash it before you ship. They check right there to make sure it's legit.

The other problem that compounds it is most online payments like PayPal don't like gun related transactions. People on r/gunaccessoriesforsale get their PayPal accounts disabled all the time when people put gun related words in the transaction comments.

Money orders are annoying but at least they're reliable.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

It happened again; I was watching an item on eBay that was listed at $540 or best offer. I made an offer of 10% off ($486) and the seller counter-offered with - you guessed it - his list price of $540. What the gently caress. Why waste everyone's time like that?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

It happened again; I was watching an item on eBay that was listed at $540 or best offer. I made an offer of 10% off ($486) and the seller counter-offered with - you guessed it - his list price of $540. What the gently caress. Why waste everyone's time like that?

I can clarify why people doing that.

Because Ebay is ridiculous, having an auction with a Buy It Now costs more to list. Regardless, some people will use a Buy It Now as a way for people to bypass the auction. It's like a, "Make me an offer before the auction starts, skip the auction" thing.

I actually do that with certain collectibles, but I'll put a text like this in the description -

"The Buy It Now is available until I have received the first bid. If you would like to bypass the auction, you may make an offer. But I am not reviewing offers below my start price."

It becomes confusing, because that button normally means, "Let's make a deal." But for some sellers, it means, "Make me a good offer and you don't have to wait on an auction."

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Just saw a $10 offer come in for a cheap holster adapter Iím selling; itís been listed for most of a year so I accepted the offer. Then I went to eBay and saw a message from the buyer saying, ďonly accept my offer if it comes with a bunch of screws, gaskets, and spacer plates that you didnít mention or have pictures of in the auction.Ē

gently caress you, buddy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Just saw a $10 offer come in for a cheap holster adapter Iím selling; itís been listed for most of a year so I accepted the offer. Then I went to eBay and saw a message from the buyer saying, ďonly accept my offer if it comes with a bunch of screws, gaskets, and spacer plates that you didnít mention or have pictures of in the auction.Ē

You've got to be making GBS threads me. That's a new one. "Only accept my offer that I've already made if you will give me stuff not listed in the auction."

You have completely cured me of any desire to ever sell stuff that's firearm related.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I had to come back and read this again, because when I tried to remember what happened my brain basically threw a rod and I forgot how to breathe for a second.

It is loving amazing how the cheapest sales are always the biggest hassle.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

It is loving amazing how the cheapest sales are always the biggest hassle.

It really is amazing. My wife and I had the same experience when we were doing wedding photography.

Couples that bought a robust photography package: great to work with, parents were also good to work with, they made sure there was extra seating available if they rented a bus or a limo so we could ride along and get photos of that, they made sure we had good seating at the reception and that we could take breaks and eat whenever possible...

Couples that bought the cheapest package: refused to put the entire deposit down saying "your deposit is too expensive and that's bad business practice", called us incessantly (like almost every day) to make sure we were still "on" for the wedding day, forgot to tell us that photography wasn't allowed at their ceremony venue, changed what type of photos they wanted during the event, had domineering mothers of the bride and groom who demanded services above and beyond what was paid for, complained any time they saw us sitting down (during an eight-hour event), agreed to feed us (it's in the contract) and then refused to (telling us that if we wanted to eat then we should have brought our own food), when we asserted our ability to take breaks (it was in the contract) they demanded that we go somewhere else to do it because "we can't have our guests seeing our photographers being lazy", one group of groomsmen got into a van and sped off from their prep site to the church, getting up over ninety miles an hour when I backed off and lost them (and then they bitched because I arrived at the church "late"), weren't satisfied with the final product even though it was identical in quality to the stuff they looked at when they booked us, demanded revision after revision after revision to the final product... I'm going to stop there because I can feel my blood pressure rising.

Obviously there are exceptions; we shot some cheap packages where the couples were very down to earth and made sure we took breaks and ate, etc. But more often than not, cheap weddings were going to be trouble one way or another.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

It really is amazing. My wife and I had the same experience when we were doing wedding photography.

Couples that bought a robust photography package: great to work with, parents were also good to work with, they made sure there was extra seating available if they rented a bus or a limo so we could ride along and get photos of that, they made sure we had good seating at the reception and that we could take breaks and eat whenever possible...

Couples that bought the cheapest package: refused to put the entire deposit down saying "your deposit is too expensive and that's bad business practice", called us incessantly (like almost every day) to make sure we were still "on" for the wedding day, forgot to tell us that photography wasn't allowed at their ceremony venue, changed what type of photos they wanted during the event, had domineering mothers of the bride and groom who demanded services above and beyond what was paid for, complained any time they saw us sitting down (during an eight-hour event), agreed to feed us (it's in the contract) and then refused to (telling us that if we wanted to eat then we should have brought our own food), when we asserted our ability to take breaks (it was in the contract) they demanded that we go somewhere else to do it because "we can't have our guests seeing our photographers being lazy", one group of groomsmen got into a van and sped off from their prep site to the church, getting up over ninety miles an hour when I backed off and lost them (and then they bitched because I arrived at the church "late"), weren't satisfied with the final product even though it was identical in quality to the stuff they looked at when they booked us, demanded revision after revision after revision to the final product... I'm going to stop there because I can feel my blood pressure rising.

Obviously there are exceptions; we shot some cheap packages where the couples were very down to earth and made sure we took breaks and ate, etc. But more often than not, cheap weddings were going to be trouble one way or another.

This somehow is the same in restaurants. $180 of Opus One? No problem. In fact, send two! A $12 of Beringer White Zinfandel? IT'S CORKED! Lobster tail with a filet? Add a lobster tail! Well done burger? IT'S UNDER AND OVER AT THE SAME TIME!

There should be name for this inverse law of cost vs. difficulty of job.

Somehow, it almost always pertains to the Redneck Class of individual.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

This somehow is the same in restaurants. $180 of Opus One? No problem. In fact, send two! A $12 of Beringer White Zinfandel? IT'S CORKED! Lobster tail with a filet? Add a lobster tail! Well done burger? IT'S UNDER AND OVER AT THE SAME TIME!

There should be name for this inverse law of cost vs. difficulty of job.

Somehow, it almost always pertains to the Redneck Class of individual.

While they are a different can of worms than weddings, my wife and I see that mentality on cruises. Some people exhibit a cruel sense of entitlement and snobbery solely because they have plunked down :tenbux: to sail on floating buffet. The crew, recruited from far-flung locales to evade US labor laws, work admirably to serve that particular subset of the cruising population. I love cruises, but some are the worst.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Sy Borg posted:

While they are a different can of worms than weddings, my wife and I see that mentality on cruises. Some people exhibit a cruel sense of entitlement and snobbery solely because they have plunked down :tenbux: to sail on floating buffet. The crew, recruited from far-flung locales to evade US labor laws, work admirably to serve that particular subset of the cruising population. I love cruises, but some are the worst.

I managed to go on a cruise in high school with my singing group. If you have enough fun people around you, a cruise is about as fun as it gets. But Jesus Christ, there were some depressing as gently caress looking folks on there, too.

I'm not going to do it by myself, but getting to go on an arctic cruise is something I'm going to do before I croak. I don't do well in the hot sun, so sitting on a deck chair with a book and giant glaciers cruising past sounds like heaven.

-------------

Friends, I might have found the single biggest rear end in a top hat on Ebay.

I have discovered a seller of coins that might be the most unpleasant sounding human I've ever encountered. After some quick Googling, he turns out to be well known as a big swinging dick in the coin community who is also apparently a gigantic rear end in a top hat. He apparently throws around that he "blacklists" just about anyone who looks at him sideways and brags, "I'm only a jerk to a-holes." His words, not mine.

This guy puts the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons to shame. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live a life full of such seething anger at everything and everyone.

This is his description for every auction he sells. Note - His photography is awful.

Also, what the gently caress is an E-DELCON country?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your want a description?Hereís your description:

Iím selling coins and currency to serious buyers who want good deals and donít need to be coddled the entire way.If thatís you, join the fun.If not, just keep on looking elsewhere because youíre not worth by trouble.

Answers to common questions:

DOMESTIC Shipping is FREE, I still get Questions every single day from folks who canít seem to figure out the giant FREE SHIPPING Banner on every page.

FOREIGN Shipping:IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE ITEM IN THE QUEUE, WAIT FOR YOUR INVOICE BEFORE PAYING!!!!!!

FOREIGN STARTS AT $13.99, no exceptions, no matter how much you try to convince me you can get a better deal elsewhere.Thatís the base cost for an international first class package!Thatís the way it is.

I DO COMBINE shipping costs WHEN available.E-delcon countries or known parties, is usually close to base cost. HIGH VALUE ITEMS, USUALLY AROUND $200 or more, or to unknown parties, expect to pay $35.99 for registered or $66.99 for Express Mail Services.

NON ďE-DELCON COUNTRIESĒ:YOUR SHIPPING IS HIGHER BECAUSE OF TRACKING REQUIREMENTS AND IS BASED ON RISK ASSESMENT. See above for basic requirements

Commonly asked questions:

Q. ďIs this coin (Insert precious metal here)Ē

A.You figure it out.If you donít know what you are looking at, do some research.

Q.Do You Combine Shipping?

A.Canít you read?

Q. I bought this my mistake, can you cancel?

A.Iíll go ahead and start that unpaid item case for you

Q.Iíd like to return a TPG (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, PMG) certified item

A.Welcome to my BBL List and various other industry blacklists of my choosing (There are FEW exceptions, I have encountered misattributions on more obscure coins that significantly affect value more frequently.Thatís legitimate)

Q. Why are you so mean?

A. Because a person really develops some think skin after years of putting up with nonsense.I provide Numismatic items at no reserve, with plenty of bargain opportunities, I expect buyers to put forth some effort in taking the time to research the items they are buying.This is a hobby, itís supposed to be fun.99.999% of folks have that figured out.You can to.

Q.Iíd like to return this item because of a genuine issue (Wrong item sent, it happens, nobodyís perfect.There are other real reasons)

A.Go ahead and initiate a return using the returns center, you will receive a label at our cost and be refunded upon receipt AND Inspection.

Q. Iíd like to return an item for a frivolous reason (I already had one, my dog/cat/toddler placed an absentee bid).

A.Youíd be surprised how many dogs/cats/toddlerís know how to login, search for items that their parents routinely buy, and go through the four step process of placing a bid.Youíd be really surprised how many dogs/cats/toddlers seem to know the exact market price of a coin for that matter.Just cut the baloney. Expect a few unkind words if I think your story donít hold water.

Q.I have a resale license, can you remove the sales tax?

A.For California, ONLY If we have a SIGNED PHYSICAL COPY of your resale card on file and it passes verification and is up to date.

For the new Interstate sales tax.As of February 28, I CANNOT Remove out of state sales tax.That will likely change at some point.Please refer to the Wayfair vs. South Dakota supreme court ruling and itís repercussions.This issue is big and not easily resolved at the moment.

Q. Iím located outside the US, Why do I not see tracking immediately?

A. Simply put, because of the extra paper work for NON E-Delcon Countries or registered or express mail, we only ship International once or twice a week.Certain countries do not have delivery date parameters and those cause a huge delay for us.Be patient.Itís coming.If you donít have delivery within 30 days for registered, or two weeks for express, then please notify us.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Electronic Delivery Confirmation: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Electronic-USPS-Delivery-Confirmation-International

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Captain Log posted:

coin guy bullshit
Why does every hobby have X% of this guy?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I notice he either can't write at an adult level or can't be bothered to give his listings even a minimal proofreading.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This guy has been in loving coin magazines I get delivered, so I don't feel bad posting a picture.

But I expected this guy to be eighty. The dude looks way, way too young to be such an rear end in a top hat.

I'm literally considering making some fake emails to interact with him. I'm not big on trolling or being a dickhead. But someone acting like this really rubs me the wrong way.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Perhaps a letter from Leonard J Crabs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Even without knowing the backstory that photo makes me want to shove him into a locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

toplitzin posted:

Perhaps a letter from Leonard J Crabs.

:hmmyes:

I still reread those Leonard J. Crabs articles every so often.