Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I sold something on ebay and shipped promptly. Shortly afterwards I get an ebay message:

"Hey I won the auction for X, can't wait to get it! Please ship to my updated address, I haven't had a chance to change it on ebay yet."

My first thought was "well I have bad news for you, guy" but when I checked the message on my desktop:
  • he's not the buyer (different username)
  • new address is a graphic of text
  • not even same country

I sort of admire the brazenness of this approach. There's no attempt to subvert or spoof any of the existing controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I did push the "does this image or message violate ebay blah blah" button. I then got an email asking me to go to the self-help thing on any problems with buying or selling, and none of it looks applicable.

Is there somewhere or somehow else I should report? I'm absolutely down to report it but the process kind of left me scratching my head.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Thanks for the tip.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Yeah that's the thing. Some stuff really is just money that is sitting there doing nothing. It's better to let go.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Not eBay but I recently learned another way that Amazon fulfillment sucks (of course Amazon sucks but in what specific ways is the thing.)

If an order gets refunded by a customer for reason "Carrier took too long to deliver" then guess who eats the cost! Hint: remember as the fulfillment company, Amazon is the one taking on the responsibility of shipping orders.

If you guessed "Not Amazon" then congrats, gold star for you!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I might have told this story but a few years ago I had a nice target rifle and hard-to-find accessories for it that I sold. I wanted the money and had the time to piece it all out, so I listed the gun separately. Figured I'd offer to let it all go together for the right price to the right person but would otherwise piece the accessories out later -- each of which was worth a decent amount on its own and would sell for sure if I had the time to babysit the listings. So the gun got listed first separately.

Well the guy I sold the gun to was a haggly mchaggleson playing "oh but that is ever so much money!" and "oh but shipping insurance is a scam basically, can we not split the cost?" games and he sent the payment a dick hair away from me telling him to gently caress off. No point in bringing up the accessories with this guy, obviously.

When it came time to ship I threw his address into google maps and it's a small mansion on a big acreage (well that's what it looked like to my working rear end, anyway.) Doesn't necessarily mean it was him but still, I rolled my eyes and was glad the whole transaction was out of my hands.

I posted the rest of the genuine accessories pieced out for sale a week or two later. Shortly afterwards he contacted me basically saying "uh look I had no idea you had all that stuff as well, tell me your price I'll take it all" I told him sorry it was already sold. It wasn't, so i guess I must not have needed the money THAT badly but god drat I really just didn't want anything to do with the guy at that point.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of eBay I just had a hit on a book Iíve had a watch notice on for years. Usually copies sit around $200, $150 if someoneís trying to move it. BIN of $90? Yoink.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I have a gripe. People who can't write down their own loving mailing address

Go through all the trouble of mailing something then it gets sent back to me because they forgot to write down their apartment # or whatever as part of the address. Even if I just refund him and go "yeah thanks but no thanks" nice way to cost me ten bucks, rear end in a top hat.

Another guy put his first name as "Name" and then his last name in "Address 1" then his mailing address in "Address 2" and oh boy that made the address stuff freak out for some reason. Good thing I caught it first.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

eBay: the only "auction house" in the history of the world that allows buyers to do any of that poo poo.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I think the answer to why does is "because eBay thinks not doing it might cost them a sale" (trumped only by "because guns ")

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 4, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The global shipping program is what let me effortlessly buy a couple otherwise unobtainable graphic novels from two used bookstores in France who are eBay sellers, and it Just Works which is really nice.

E: integrating freight forwarding into their platform was an admirable, forward thinking move.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 4, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

stealie72 posted:

Fwiw, this week I had two usps packages be listed as "delivered" when physical reality says otherwise. I know they were not delivered because my dogs go apeshit when the mail trucks come up the driveway with packages, and they did not that day.

Emailed customer service and two days later got back an email saying my case was resolved: tracking shows delivered.

That was less than useless.

I once has some electronics marked as "Delivered" but it wasn't here (I was home all day, etc) and went through the same rigamarole --- open an investigation with the postal service and they get back to me a couple days later saying "hi it says it's delivered, resolved kthxbai"

I contacted the seller (maybe they can initiate something?) and they mailed me a replacement, but they could totally tell that I was lying even though I wasn't.

I got the new one, then my mail carrier also brought the *missing* one that he found under a seat in the delivery truck. I was able to contact the original seller and send the replacement unit back, probably surprising everyone. But I'm not a dirtbag and I've been on the other side, too.

I do a lot of shipping and receiving, and the real problems that get sticky are always compounded by delivery people playing fast and loose with paperwork or package status. Which isn't going to go away anytime soon as long as delivery folks' job is 100% "time is money, get through packages as quickly as possible by any means available."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

As small sellers all kinds of doors are just not open to us.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

drat, that's shameful.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

"oh please ship here instead" makes me wonder if someone's using your eBay auction to drop-ship, basically.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Man, gently caress that dude ^^

I just got a guy in France who contacted me about an address change for an item I already shipped like two weeks ago. I know poo poo happens sometimes but something like this is really expensive for me to deal with.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

It's not actually eBay, it's just some normal "dude paying me online for something I made" stuff. It's not really clear what the right way to handle this is so far, I'm still going back and forth with the guy at the moment

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's a good point, I should work to not only keep that in mind but also apply it fairly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I'm willing to bet he and those like him are the same crowd of people repulsed at the idea of "handouts"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Captain Log posted:

I love it when people think CASH (through PayPal) is somehow better than ALL THE OTHER OPTIONS (through PayPal.

People aren’t trying to pay me in meat or animal skins, dumbass.

I imagine it's like you're behind the counter at Gamestop and they walk in with a grin, tossing an unboxed copy of last year's Madden on the counter for trade in like they're doing you the world's biggest favor.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Yeah if they're pissy now about little minor poo poo, there's nowhere to go but down. Some people are weird.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Customer is always right

Counterpoint: they're not a customer if they're not buying something

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

"I'd love to, but I'm trying to make enough to pay rent this month, and as a COVID-riddled orphan..."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Geez, that's saddening but also kind of inspired in a way.

Would be hilarious to open a competing shop that uses THAT guy's images as examples of WATCH OUT FOR FAKES. The wehrmacht didn't use this stamp for XYZ, it was only applied in Y manner etc etc. All made up, of course.

Only OUR fakes are the real deal! Accept no other imitations!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hadn't thought of it that way, those are good points.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Back when every separate interest had its own separate web site and forums, I was on an airgun site and one guy's name kept popping up when reading in new posts. You know the type: big mouth, rude, never shuts up, etc.

Anyway in the buy/sell area I was selling a thing and he messaged me with a (too low, but honestly not insultingly too low) offer. If he were anyone else I might have taken him up on it, but his post history genuinely made me think there was no way in hell I was selling the guy anything.

But instead of ignoring him or telling him to pound sand, I said "the price is firm, but I'll think about it" because to tell the truth I wasn't sure if I'd change my mind about needing the money more than I wanted to feel right.

Anyway the item sold for the asking price that weekend and I forgot all about it. A few days later he messages me again about the item, and I tell him "it's no longer available, it sold."

His response was "WHAT THE gently caress, I THOUGHT WE HAD A DEAL?!?!?!"

It's a great example of how these dingbats are a net loss all the way around. Even this story -- which should be kind of funny or at least kind of cathartic -- is robbed of that & just ends up more bewildering than anything.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That caricature is something else alright. I guess that's his "brand" or whatever. It's got more product photo real estate and better lighting than the actual product for sale. The quotation marks around the speech bubble text is really the cherry on top.

This reminds me, I've been going through Amazon's processes for selling and for every annoying hoop they hit me with, I can 100% see where it came from and why it is that way. For example, the main product photo must be ONLY the exact product (and whatever comes with it) on a white background with nothing else (no text, etc.)

That's a good policy, and I really notice the places that do NOT do that, and it highlights how some sellers really try just about everything under the sun if given like half a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I got notified of eBay's new payment thing (direct to a bank account, etc) and wow going through the process wasn't something I was feeling good about doing. It's basically a full blown identify verification to a degree I am really just not comfortable with. It kind of bugs me that I can't just use it like I always did, but oh well.