Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

If you purchase your postage through Ebay, youíll save ten or twenty percent, and it will automatically load your tracking number for the end user to see.

Also, eBay lets you purchase first-class postage where appropriate, which is way cheaper than going through the usps.com web site which only lets you buy Priority Mail labels.

Here's my eBay page, I guess? I don't have anything listed right now but by tonight it'l be a veritable beehive of used holsters, gun parts, and ancient camera gear!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/infrared35/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Okay, so what's the deal with bulk selling? What is it, should I do it, how do I do it?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Is there any advantage to having a "store" versus just listing a bunch of stuff with a "buy it now" price?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

That is mostly just how you phrase it. People like to say, "My Ebay Business" blah blah blah rather than "My auctions."

I guess what I would like to do is the "5% discount for buying two items, 10% for buying three or more" kind of thing. How do I do that?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I just listed 20 items thanks to this thread. I plan to add items as things sell, hoping to keep it at 20.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Granted, I've been on eBay for twenty years, but my all-time sales total is over $24,000. That stuff does add up.

Just don't ask me how much money I've spent on eBay over that time frame. :negative:

Edit: And apparently I'm at 80 sales for the year, so I only need twenty more to get Power Seller status or whatever.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 4, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ugh; I just had a first in my eBay "career" - dude made an offer on a holster I'm selling. I accepted the offer. He paid immediately with Paypal, I printed off postage and got it packed and ready to go.

Ten minutes later, he sent me a message. "Uh, don't ship that holster because I will ship it back as defective. I don't know what's up with it but it doesn't cover the trigger guard and Galco's web site clearly shows that model of holster covering the trigger guard. That holster is unsafe and may be a factory second or something, I found another one that I'm going to buy instead. Just send me my money back; I'd prefer not to get eBay involved."

The holster isn't defective. It's just thirty years old. Some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s holsters started covering up the trigger guards on revolvers.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

BrianM87 posted:

Try to avoid getting ebay/paypal involved. They will 100% gently caress the seller over every time. My experience with ebay is even when a buyer admits to immediately breaking the item he received, I should have anticipated him being a total drooling retard. Ebay sided with him and tried to pull the money directly from my bank account. gently caress ebay and paypal. They will gently caress you any chance they get, you're better off not using them.

We both agreed to the cancellation, so eBay was like, "just refund his PayPal payment and send us proof, and we'll refund your final value fees."

So we'll see.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hasselblad posted:

Currently going back to the stoneages to relearn proper picturizing with a Hassy 501CM and Ilford B&W

:swoon:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

My medium format go-to is a Mamiya 645. I just love how "handy" it is.

I'm pretty sure I still have some 4x5 film somewhere from when I owned the ironically-named Gowland Pocket View.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hasselblad posted:

Pitty you didn't say RZ67. I've been watching this gather dust since way back when Ritz Camera was liquidating stock and closing stores:

Whoa. My first non-TLR medium format camera was a beat-up RB67. Pretty cool.

The other one I have now is a Mini Speed Graphic with a 6x9 back on it. :coal:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Itís a good thing because the battery is long dead. I even found the loving charger.

Iíll probably grab a dedicated tripod point and click. Any CHEAP recommendations?

A nice, used Canon G10. Super easy controls, good picture quality, and the ability to take a hotshoe flash if you want to add one at some point.

Lots of them listed for $100-$300, but the ones that are actually selling seem to be going for under $100, closer to $50-$70.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Miso Beno posted:

This. A thousand times this.

Oh, ghost of Miso. You so ginky!!!

Edit for content: I listed the first item from that giant tub of basketweave duty gear that I picked up. :sweatdrop:

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 21, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Itís about, A LOT more than I want to pay, but this forum has never steered me wrong.

Also, who wants a tiny LED light box? I have a spare. :)

I guess I wouldn't mind playing around with it; if it's too small for me, I can always pay it forward.

You could go back a couple models to like the G9 or G8; they still take good pictures and have a hotshoe but I don't have any personal experience with them.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

You've inspired me to list the source (where known) on my auctions.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thelonious posted:

Not to be too nosy, but you if wind up selling any of those A1 uppers you mentioned in the wheel gun thread, consider me an interested goon.

:love:

I will probably keep one or two, but that leaves several others with indeterminate fates...

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thanks, eBay thread!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

:respek: Hell yeah man, you're on fire right now. I'm in a slump and need to get back to it.

Did that light box work at all? It's so tiny.

Yeah, I am still learning it but I took a picture of some magazines that I put up on gunbroker. :hfive:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Double post because I just broke two grand.

Assuming the last three bidders pay me.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

The absolute number one problem I have is people flaking on payment. It never fails, itís always something to do with guns, knives, or old fart poo poo.

It's been good overall but I've had four dudes now bid on Level II retention holsters and then say, "oh poo poo, I need a Level III holster, sorry!"

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

lampey posted:

You can prevent this if you know how much your stuff is worth. Check recent sold and completed listings, to find out what people are willing to pay. Use a buy it now price instead of auction and then require immediate payment in the listing.

That's what I do on my listings, but it still happens. Guys just aren't reading the descriptions, I guess.

Edit: Also just had a dude file a return complaint against me because I didn't get him a scope mount in time for a match, but I guess he decided to keep the mount because he never sent it back to me, and eBay dropped the complaint.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 18, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

What?! Did you miss your shipping window?

Because I don't do much, I don't have problems getting packages out on time. But I've had a shitload of sellers get me stuff late and never made a fuss. That's lovely of the person.

"Hmmm, I need something NOW! Amazon? Wal Mart? Naaaah, I'll buy something off ebay and bitch a lot try to get it for free." :strokes MOLON LABE hat:

Yeah, I said three business days' handling time, and because work got weird it took four business days.

I was in the wrong, but if he had told me that he needed it in a hurry, I would have made shipping it out a higher priority.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Do you print your labels at home? Saves money and time.

Oh yeah. But I'm not a morning person so I have a hard time getting anything done before work, and at the end of a 12- or 16-hour day, I'm usually exhausted and just want to crawl into bed. :negative:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dang government, taking taxes out of my income. Income which goes toward buying things. Which I pay sales tax on. And then I have to pay income tax again when I sell that same stuff? Thanks, Obama.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Huh. Just added up my total for the year and I'm at $6,279. :stare:

Edit: that is to say, I'm definitely reporting this year.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 20, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Jaysus Christo.

We told you to buy that basketweave stuff!

(Seriously good job man)

It's mostly from a bunch of custom Glock slides and optics that I sold earlier this year, but yeah. Thanks!

Edit: I've recovered just under two-thirds of my basketweave "investment" so far after listing fees and shipping costs.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 20, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Are you on track to make a profit? Because if so, that was freaking fast.

I'm hesitant to say yes; most of the "big stuff" like holsters has sold, leaving lots of less desirable stuff like radio holders, latex glove pouches, and handcuff cases. Unless you know someone who's doing a Rob-Liefeld-inspired Halloween costume.

I cut a check for $1080 for the duty gear and I've netted about $650 so far.

Edit: Holy crap, gunbroker charges $15 for a sales report? Is there no other way to see sales for a longer time frame than the past 90 days?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 21, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Anytime I get to the hard poo poo to move, I start doing lots and come up with a name for them. Maybe something like, ďPartial to Full Vintage Police...Kits?Ē

:lol:

That's not a bad idea. And maybe with Halloween coming up, that Rob Liefeld idea could be more viable than usual.

"Pre-packaged Cable costume! #allthepouches"

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I was pretty mad about that too until I realized that $10 is 1% of $1000, and if I need a thousand dollars in my bank account that fast, I'll take the $10 hit.

It is pretty dumb compared to the $.25 flat fee though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

What the hell is it with these drat leather radio holders? Three times now I've had people totally flake on me over these things. They ask a bunch of questions, I respond to all of them, they make a lowball offer, I counteroffer, they accept the counteroffer, and then... nothing. Two of them at least had the courtesy to message me to say they changed their minds. But WTF.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 15, 2018

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

That sounds loving exactly like me any time I try to sell a knife. Certain people just blow. Itís sad if itís cops in this case.

Here's the last one; dude made an offer, I accepted it, and then he said:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Remember the guy I told you about before who, when I shipped his scope mount a day late, said he was going to send it back and then never did?

Well today, three months, later, he files a dispute with PayPal saying he never authorized the purchase. Thankfully I have my eBay message traffic saved, and PayPal has all the tracking info.

But still, what a pain in the rear end.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Man, this has been a heck of a few months. Just had a guy make an offer on a duty belt and the amount was within my "automatically accept" range. Then he cancelled the order because he didn't think the offer would be accepted. WTF.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Wow, that sucks. But yeah, never agree on eBay to sell something outside of eBay. They definitely read messages.

In other eBay news, I hosed up and put the wrong mailing labels on two packages. One guy is super mad about it, the other guy is pretty chill. Both agree to send the wrong items back for full refunds. The chill guy is all good with his refund. The angry guy is refusing to accept the refund on his end because he wants me to send it to a different PayPal account than the one he paid with. Guess what, fucko? I don't have any control over that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

gently caress me.

A dude bought a .22 conversion kit from me on eBay and asked if I had extra mags for it. I made the mistake of saying yes. He sent me a postal money order but it took a long time to get here because mail delivery was suspended for several days due to the snow storms. He's bitching up a storm about why I haven't given him tracking info on the new mags yet. Finally the money order arrives, almost ten days after he sent it, and I go to the post office after work to pick it up. Well, he sent it certified mail with return receipt so I can't pick it up until the next day. I advise him of this and he doesn't reply. I deposit the money order in my bank and ship the mags out the same day, but it was too late to make that day's pickup. I still gave him the tracking number. He messaged me today saying that the tracking info still isn't in the system and he's going down to the post office to file theft by mail charges which is A FEDERAL CRIME BY THE WAY and he's going to report me to eBay as untrustworthy and a scammer and on and on.

I replied back with a screen shot of the tracking info, which IS in the system, showing the package was delayed at the processing center in southern Michigan due to the weather. I haven't heard back from him.

I don't really care if he reports me, even to the Post Office. Even if they take his claim seriously, I would LOVE to talk to them about this guy.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 22, 2019

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Yay, it works now!

https://www.ebay.com/str/captainlogscuriosities

If you have decent volume (Looking at you, Infrared) signing up for a store saves cash. But you would probably need to do about fifty listings, including relistings, a week for it to make sense.

Dang. I'm not really on that level. I'm probably doing 10-20 listings a week when I'm super active, and zero a week when I'm not.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Jesus, gun broker sounds...unique. :stare:

Yes it is, other Barry. Yes it is.

Side note, I am falling down when it comes to sales now. Most of my items have zero watchers, a handful have one watcher, and a couple have two. I need to get some better stuff up for sale or something.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 4, 2019

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hasselblad posted:

Are you guys listing items that have a history of selling?

Meh. On and off. I still have some duty gear to get rid of, but prices and demand can vary. I could sit on this stuff for six more months or maybe someone will come along and BUY EVERYTHING. Who knows. I didn't expect to sell any at the last gun show, but I sold a complete belt setup with holster and pouches for my asking price, which was awesome.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Whee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Haha, I told that dude that he should go ahead and make an offer. He came back with, "I"ve made five offers and none of them were good enough. Just tell me what your bottom dollar is and if it's good I'll take it."

First of all, I don't think you can make five offers on an item. Second of all, I went in and checked, and he made ONE offer, which was 20% below my asking price. Not a bad offer, but less than I want to take right now. And this guy won't take the hint.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 13, 2019