Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Problem description: Installing Windows 10 on a brand new Samsung 970 EVO. (500GB) I'm using the store-bought USB installer. I get as far as the screen where I choose a partition, but I don't see a drive listed for my 500 GB SDD. Bizarrely, I see 'Drive 0 Unallocated space' (8.0 GB) and 'Drive 1 Unallocated space' (13.4 GB.) I have no idea where these sizes are coming from, or why it lists two drives. (There is the little 64GB NVMe that came with the Intel i5 8500 as their "optane memory" peripheral. But otherwise, the EVO is the only hard drive installed.)

Attempted fixes: I followed the steps in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg
Namely: Made sure by BIOS disabled Launch CSM, OS set to Other, and cleared secure boot keys. Second try I just f5'd the BIOS back to default settings in case the first windows install did something weird?

edit: I've also tried running the installer with all the SATA and USB unhooked from the motherboard, so only the M.2 drive is installed. Now I see only Drive 0 Unallocated space, 13.4 GB. So either that's the SSD and it's misreading the size (somehow??) or it's some other peripheral I can't identify, in which case it's not seeing the SSD at all.

Recent changes: I recently had Windows 10 installed on an HDD, but since it crashed I bought this SDD to replace it. I unhooked it from the power and SATA. There are SATA plugs still connected to the DVD drive and a few expansion bays in the top of the tower for external SDDs, can this cause it to not see the M.2??

EDIT: after switching the SSD to the upper M.2 slot and removing the octane memory slot entirely, as well as leaving all the SATA plug unplugged, it was able to find the volume. However, I was still unable to install Windows 10. Ergo, I'll close this thread and reopen this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867474&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post487547455

--

Operating system: PRIME H370-A BIOS ver. 0602

System specs: H370 mobo, Intel i5 8500, 8 GB rpijaws v series DDR4 SDRAM; Seasonic 650 watt 80 plus gold PSU; Gigabyte Radeon 7950 HD vid card.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Lemma fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread