Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Thanks for doing this LP! I just wanted to share some thoughts with you and everybody else reading, regarding names specifically. I don't know how much research went into picking them, and in any case am not an expert on names(let alone obscure/outdated ones), but two names stood out to me in this game: Ekkill and Bolverk.

Now Ekkill is written similarly to Egill, and in fact in Icelandic the word 'ekki' is the adverb 'not', so you could read his name as a pun on 'not-Egill', but that's not really what it is. As a noun, the word 'ekki' means 'sobbing', and derived from that are the word for 'widow', 'ekkja', and the word for 'widower'... 'Ekkill'.

The other name is Bolverk. 'Verk' means 'work' or 'deed', though it's probably also an anglicization of 'verkr', meaning 'worker'(albeit with no connotation of employment). Now this game does not distinguish between the letters O, Ó, and Ö, so we don't know for certain which letter is supposed to be in his name, but we can make a guess. If it's O, then we can say that 'boli' means 'bull' and so we can say his name means 'bull worker', which fits with his horns and great strength. If it's Ó, then we can look at 'ból', which means 'nest' or 'resting place', and his name would translate to 'worker in bed', but we know he doesn't have the equipment for that so that's doubtful. And anyway, the rest of the paragraph was just idle musings, because I already know he's named Bölverkr. Why? The word 'böl' translates to 'bane', 'bale', 'curse', you get the idea. So his name means 'worker of evil deeds', more or less. But the real clincher, the one that makes it clear that this is the name they intended, is that it's also one of the many names of Odin.

Oh yeah, and 'Eyvind' means 'island wind'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Eyvind is just named after Eyvind Earle, the Disney artist who inspired this game's style.

Ekkill isn't the character's actual name--Onef gave him that nickname because of precisely what you point out, in order to scare people. You never learn his real name though.

Will try to trigger the relevant conversation for that.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Happy Thanksgiving, and may your cart be full of supplies!

I've fixed the images for updates 1, 2, and the first half of 3 (after which I got my process in order and the images are all fine.)

All that's left for me now is to try and show off the Ekkill, Onef, and Rugga stuff. Which is at least interesting to me; I was dreading having to just replace images one-by-one and now that's thankfully over.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Coda 5: Ekkill and Onef

I'm borrowing liberally from ProfessorProf's LP of The Banner Saga 1 here so that I don't have to replay it myself. If ever you wanted to see a somewhat different telling of the events of Banner Saga 1 (in part because the events themselves are different from our canonical journey), I'd recommend checking it out here.

https://lparchive.org/The-Banner-Saga/

It's great, and also what got me into the series in the first place.

Anyway, in our journey we barged into the city of Frostvellr, talked to Ekkill, and barged our way out. Kind of a dick move on Rook's part, and one made with player knowledge of what was to come. If we hadn't done that...

You can feel Ekkill sizing you up on the spot, his hand hovering near his axe. He snorts through his nose, changing his mind.
: Good luck, then. Hope we don't meet again fighting for the same scraps.
With the gates closed, Ekkill and his men disappear down dark alleys.
: Hope we know what we're doing.
: Making it up as we go along, Iver.

That ends the chapter. We then do all of Hakon's march before things head back to Rook's POV. In our saga, Rook was camped outside the walls fighting endless waves of dredge (largely so I could get the +1 will/+1 arm per turn item).

If we'd been inside the walls...

The man has a crazed look about him. He stands, axe pointed in your direction, on the other side of a dozen men.
: Ekkill, you son of a bitch!
: Remember what I said? Think carefully about what you want. This is what you get.
Ekkill walks away, leaving you to deal with his thugs.

There's really no explanation (at the time) given for why Ekkill suddenly attacks. Anyway, there's a fight where you beat the hell out of some raiders, and then...

: If we're not murdered in our sleep, it's only a matter of time before the dredge find their way in. There's nobody defending these walls.
You spot ALette looking at one of the thugs. She cocks her head to the side.
: Uh...dad? I think he's still alive.
Iver lifts him to his feet by his tunic. He groans from the pain.
: This guy again?
: Why did Ekkill try to kill us?

: Why would Frostvellr's chieftain put a madman in charge of his guards?
[Onef]: That what he told you? He never put Ekkill in charge. Soon as those gates were shut, Ekkill walked into the great hall and sliced open the chieftain like a narwhal. Saw it myself. Ekkill wasn't a captain. I mean...look at him.
: He was playing us.
: Can't say I'm too surprised. This whole place is a death trap.
: Where can we go?
: By now the dredge have already flooded the south, I'm sure. Wyrmtoe's the only thing that makes sense, across the wastes. I might know someone there who can help us. And the dredge probably won't follow us out over the wastes. They didn't in the great wars.
: Because it's a death sentence? Food's already running low.
[Onef]: I know where Ekkill keeps his supplies. I'll tell you. If you take me with you?
: What's the catch?
[Onef]: No catch. I want out of here as much as you do, just never had anywhere to go. I'm not the only one. Get the supplies and there are plenty of fighters who are desperate to get out of here.
: That might solve a few problems.
: If we're lucky I'll get a chance to put a dagger in Ekkill.
: If nothing else, Ekkill's going to feel it when his food suddenly vanishes. What's your name?
[Onef]: Onef. Why do you...
: Just wanted to know whose face I'm going to break if things go wrong.

I guess ProfessorProf wasn't greedy. If we're greedy and make multiple trips, you get an additional fight as Ekkill discovers you, but you get more supplies and also get a +2 aggro +2 str resist item, the Shepersky Stone. It's pretty good, but wouldn't really be useful until Banner Saga 2.

Before too long, Onef has led you out of the city with his trusted fighters. You prepare to leave the city of Frostvellr behind.

Regardless of how many/how few of the supplies you take, Ekkill will chase you. He can't hold on to power in Frostvellr without Onef. If Onef's dead by your hand (as he was in our game), he won't give chase. But if Onef's in your party, you get another event a couple days later.

[Onef]: Gods be damned. Worse than dredge. That's Ekkill.

"Get ready!" you shout, turning the wagons to form a wall. With weapons drawn, you wait. Eventually you hear a shout on the wind. "Rook, my good friend! We come to parley!" He throws his weapon on the ground and approaches alone.

: Rook! We were good friends! What happened?
: You tried to kill us! Just go back to Frostvellr and leave us alone!
: Ah, Rook, it's your pretty girl. I'm glad nothing happened to her. With the dredge, I mean. My friends, how could I forget everything you've done for me? Broke into the city. Took my warriors. Took one of my best men! How are you, Onef? They treat you well?
[Onef]: Shove it up your rear end, Ekkill. If you came out here to kill me, let's get it over with.
: Nothing like that. You must think you know me...or people like me. What'd Onef tell you? I'm crazy? I haven't survived because I'm crazy. I did what had to be done to make it in Frostvellr. The only mistake I made was you. What kind of man are you, Rook? You look like an average man to me. A man worried about his daughter, maybe? Just making his way. But then I look behind you. How many people is that? They follow you. They fight for you. Why?
: I protect my kin.
: It's more than that, isn't it? You think everyone was born to lead? Make hard decisions? Who do these people think you are? You saved them. You're a hero. Maybe that's more important than who you really are.
[Onef]: What's your point, Ekkill.
: I'm your prisoner, Rook. Bind my hands. Frostvellr is done. I can't survive there, thanks to you, my good friend. You may not have cut my throat, but you sentenced us to death. I don't believe that's who you are.
: Is this some kind of apology?
: You can't trust me. I know that. Take me and my men, as prisoners, if that's what it takes.
Ekkill looks at the ground, and the words come slowly to him.

Killing Ekkill just...kills Ekkill. Doesn't stop Onef from betraying you. Abandoning them will start a fight, but has the same effect.

If you take the men as prisoners, you get a bunch of clansmen--remember, this is Banner Saga 1 where clansmen are just additional mouths to feed with no useful purpose from a gameplay standpoint. If you let them join you, you get a ton of fighters, and Ekkill joins as a hero. (If you take them as prisoners, you can recruit Ekkill as a hero after the Onef betrayal event, but that's so much later in the game that you'll probably never use Ekkill.)

: We need fighters. You fight the dredge like the rest of us. You fight for everyone now, not just yourself. If you even look the wrong way at a single man, woman, or child in this caravan, there will be no hesitation about killing you on the spot.
: You do us a greater honor than I had hoped, Rook. These people are right to follow you. You'll have no trouble from us. I may be reckless, but I pay my debts.
The caravan eyes them suspiciously, but they try to fit in, following your orders. You expect to hear complaints about this later. Things are definitely becoming complicated.

We don't hear from Ekkill much after that until this event:

: I feel like things are changing so quickly. It's not just that. Everything is going so wrong. I've been talking to Ekkill a lot...
This gets your attention.
: What has he been telling you?
: He told me how he and Onef are kin. Ekkill had a sister who married Onef, but she died a long time ago. They've been bound since, but then Onef left without him. Just left him behind without a word. That's why he came after us.
Eventually, you find Onef back at camp and relate the story.
[Onef]: Is that what Ekkill told you? It's true about his sister. She died of a fever when we were just married. Surprised he opened up like that. He wasn't the same after she died, though. So I left him in Frostvellr. He'd be fine one day, ready to kill his own men the next. Sometimes he would. I'd make the same decision tomorrow.

You march directly over to where Ekkill has been forced to stay, far from the rest of the caravan.

: Who's giving wrong looks? Your girl came to me. Nice of her, I thought, seeing as how she's the only one who gives a drat about the people around here.
: What in the depths is that supposed to mean?
: Look at you. Running around, saving everyone's hide, making decisions. Good for you. What kind of life is that? Miserable. Are you making it worth living? I see Alette helping the women, cooking food, taking care of the old, playing with the children. Talking to outcasts. Did you know she sews up the wounded every time you get them bloodied in a fight? Remember when I said you were a leader? Yeah, they join you.

: I know my daughter.
: Oh, I get it. You think I'm calling you a poor father? No. All I'm saying is don't ask her to change who she is. These people need one of her. Not two of you.

Which, given how Alette and Rook both behave with the other one dead, and how they have to grow in order to deal with the loss, is spot-on. Ekkill's pretty observant.

We don't hear from Ekkill again until the Onef betrayal event. This is about a week outside of reaching Boersgard, REALLY late in the game.

: What's on your mind?
[Onef]: How well do you know the people travelling with us? How many strangers are in the caravan now?
: Is this about Ekkill?
[Onef]: That's an obvious example. I've been watching folks since I joined you. Your companions from Skogr, they're loyal. I mean, it seems pretty clear they'd die to protect you.
: I suppose I'd do the same.
[Onef]: What about the varl? You don't even know half those warriors? You're telling me they have no problem following a man's orders now?
: They joined us voluntarily.
[Onef]: They might voluntarily put a sword in your gut, too. What happens the first time the varl don't want to do what you tell them? If Krumr gave the word, I guarantee at least half would follow. Let's be honest, they could take this caravan by force at any time, if they wanted to.
: What do you suggest?
[Onef]: I suggest growing some balls instead of hoping it all works out, Rook. They're not the biggest problem, though. There's a mender with us. A mender who pulls lighting out of the sky and tells us what to do and where to go. Myself, I think we lucked out when his mentor didn't show up in Sigrholm. Eyvind's just the apprentice? What in the depths is his master capable of? Think about it, Rook. What do you really know about Eyvind? I heard they were found practically dead in the middle of nowhere when the dredge started showing up. Then an enormous serpent shows up at Einartoft after tearing the world in half, takes one look at Eyvind, and bolts. Suddenly they need our help instead of the mender council? How does that make any drat sense?
: Eyvind could have taken control long before now.
[Onef]: A shrewd man with ambitions can be very patient. I'm grateful for what you've done to get us this far, Rook. But it's always been about trust. I think it's time to part ways, so to speak. Nothing personal.

Your vision blurs and blood fills your sight. You gasp again. There's a bird whistle, and camp becomes a blur of motion. Onef's fighters from Frostvellr leap into action, cutting people down, including those who joined later with Ekkill.

As Oddleif turns to fire on the men, Onef runs her through, and pulls the blade from her back without even breaking his stride. She drops like a sack of flour. In one clean motion his blade then takes Egil in the throat before the boy can grab his shield. Onef heads straight for Alette, who freezes in unbridled terror.

You rise to your feet through the pain. Egil and Oddleif are dead. Somehow you find hte strength to cleave the nearest traitor in two, but you can't find the breath to shout. You think your lung might be punctured.

Onef clutches Alette's wrist amidst the commotion, tosses her bow aside, and pulls her into the deep woods. Her eyes meet yours across the campsite. "No..." her lips say, though you can't hear the words. A dozen men appear between you as Iver steps into view, as fearsome as you've ever seen him.

If Egil's dead already, you lose one of the axe brothers. Hogun, I think. Oddleif isn't available in this fight since she's mortally wounded. So's Rook, though he'll fight on just to save his daughter. After killing all the traitors...

In a haze of pain, you start to think you've lost their tracks. Then you hear Alette screaming in the distance, followed by silence. You tear through the trees.

In a small clearing, Alette lies with her back against a tree. Her hands and her clothes are covered in blood. She stares vacantly ahead, unblinking.

Beside her is the body of Onef, an arrow buried in his right eye as if placed there by hand. She looks in your direction and then at Onef. "I killed him," she says.

Note: It was placed there by hand. Onef disarms her of her bow when he grabs her. That's why she's so bloody--she stabbed him in the eye with an arrow. This'll also lose you the "Innocent" achievement, as Alette has drawn blood. Doesn't matter that it's a story beat rather than a combat beat.

You cringe as much in pain as at the appearance of Alette after her bloody struggle with Onef.
: No, I'm...I'm not hurt. I had no choice. Dad, your chest! You're bleeding!
Suddenly she is at your side, putting pressure on the wound.
: I can...I can fix this. Where is my needle? Oddleif! ANYONE!
: Iver! I found them!
Just as your sight goes black, you see Eyvind, Iver and Alette standing over you.

: So he's going to make it?
Your eyes open to the sound of Alette's voice.
: Normally, a wound like that...I only hope I did enough.
: I'll survive.
: Dad!
Alette stops herself from hugging your bandaged chest, pulling your head to her instead. The words come out easier than you expected.
: Oddleif?
: It's good thing Eyvind was here. She's going to pull through, though it was a nasty wound. We managed to kill most of those traitorous sons of bitches, and the rest fled into the woods.
: There were a lot of people I couldn't save...
: You did everything you could, Eyvind. Nobody expects you to raise the dead.
Eyvind frowns deeply, putting a hand to his forehead.

HAH! Didn't even notice this at the time.

: He thought my leadership would get us killed.
: Utter bastard. All this time we had no idea. Ekkill killed a good half dozen of Onef's men, by himself. He told me Onef was running Frostvellr the whole time. He left Frostvellr behind when he saw a better opportunity. Guess that relationship is over. Ekkill was always the barking dog you put in the yard to find out who your enemies are. It was no accident Onef went after those of us from Skogr.
: He must have thought with us gone, he'd take the banner and the rest would fall in line.
: Or at worst, they'd take all the supplies for themselves and leave the rest as dredge bait. We have to be more careful. We can't just let anyone join the caravan anymore...
: Where do you draw the line, Iver?
: I don't know, Rook. I really don't. None of this changes the fact that Bellower is out there somewhere, following us. That swamp around Sigrholm might buy us some time, but we've got to keep moving.
Your body aches all over, but Iver's right. The road calls. The caravan is already starting to pack up camp.

Let's talk to these two before I put a pin in it.

: How is the wound?
You notice Oddleif wince as she rises to greet you.
: It's doing a lot better.
: When I saw it happen, I thought for sure...ah, well. I'm really glad you're...
: You would have missed me, Rook?
She smiles.
: Without Eyvind, that's all you could have done. Instead, you'll have to put up with my crap a little longer. It still aches like you wouldn't believe, though. Oh, maybe you would. Heard you took a stabbing yourself. I guess things could have gone worse.
: How is your husband doing?
Oddleif's smile falls like a dead weight.
: I'm sorry, Rook. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. He died in Einartoft. It just didn't seem like the right time to let you know. Put that burden on you. I should have said something. It's been lonely without him. I'm glad to have Alette around. And you, Rook.
: What do you think about the caravan?
: You mean, should we start kicking people out? That's a tough one. Usually I'd be the first one to give you a dirty look for suggesting it. On the other hand, I got a sword in my back.
Oddleif thinks for a long moment before sighing.
: Don't send anyone away. Just make sure nothing happens to Alette.
: I'll let you get some rest.
: Okay. Thanks. I'll take you up on that. You know...you're welcome to keep me company. When I'm a little more awake, I mean. I'll talk to you later.

So that's the first inkling that there could be a Rook/Oddleif romance subplot. And as for Ekkill...

: I can never guess with you, Ekkill. I heard you helped drive off the traitors when Onef attacked us. And it leaves me wondering...what's your deal?
: I'm not so hard to understand. Why don't you try asking instead of telling?
: Why didn't you warn us about Onef?
: Didn't I? How many times did I have to call him a traitor before you got the message? What'd you want me to say? "Watch out, Onef's going to murder your whole family!" He didn't fill me in on the details. He was always like that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to convince you to off me. But listen, I don't need to know, so keep it to yourself.
: Why did you stick with him?
: I don't know, Rook. Family makes you do weird things. You know what the worst part is? We became kin when he married my sister. She died of a fever one night. But she didn't. She wasn't sick. He killed her. I don't know why he did it. Maybe he just felt like it. I was so furious. I got so angry that I... I wanted him to beg. I could kill him without a second thought, but that, that wasn't enough. I wanted him to feel sick about it. Puke his guts out. And somehow, somehow that turned into... over time. He never cared. And I gave up, and did what he wanted. Don't know how it happened. But when I attacked you in Frostvellr? Guess I'll just say it wasn't my idea.
: You're welcome to stay with us.
: Had no plans to go anywhere. So you're going to let me walk around with my own axe and everything?
: That doesn't mean I'm not watching you.
: I can accept that. You're a good man.
: I need to get going.
: And I need to take a piss. You're not the only busy man around here, you know.

...and that's it for Ekkill. He joins the Raven caravan in Banner Saga 2, though there's an event with him right after the waterfall crossing.

When you go to explore the ruins, Ekkill asks you to let him check it out instead of you. He points out that the ruins look really unstable, and that the group would go to hell if Alette/Rook died. On the other hand, if Ekkill died, nobody would shed a tear and the group would be able to continue. He recognizes how expendable he is and he still wants to help.

If you let him go, he will die here. Otherwise, he's safe until the Death March event in the Raven caravan. (He gets the event instead of Oli, and has no lucky flask to save him. If you don't win the battle, Ekkill ends up dead.)

And at the end of the world, he has a conversation with Iver.

Ekkill's been giving you looks for a while now, and he seems to have finally decided to approach.
: You're Rook's friend.
: Yes. You do know we've traveled together before? After Frostvellr.
: Yeah, I know. I know. Just seeing you around is digging up some ancient history. I don't like how we left things, me and Rook.
Ekkill stares off into the distance, unsure what to say next.
: How did you leave things with Rook?
: I don't know, and it still sticks in my craw. I don't care if people think I'm a bit, you know, myself. But I'm no liar! I begged Rook for my life like a worm, and he never apologized for how he treated me.
: Oh. Do you want me to apologize for him?
: No. But did he ever say anything to you? You know, forget it. I don't know what I'm saying, alright?
It strikes you as odd that Ekkill seems to care so much about Rook's opinion of him.
: Just been thinking about it for a long time, that's all. Wanted to make sure I said it, while I still can.
: You seem to do well with the Ravens.
: Sure, well enough. I guess there's a couple reasons I had a bit of a reputation with the old caravan, huh?
Ekkill smiles from the memory. You can't tell whether he finds it funny or if he's trying to lighten the mood.

: It's a special feeling when a woman clutches her husband's arm just because you walked too close!
: Your name does mean "widower."
: Not even my real name. It's what Onef started calling me to scare the locals.
: Really? What's your name?
Ekkill changes the topic quickly.
: Anyway, the Ravens? None of these folks care about the past. And they don't judge, either. Suits me just fine.
: What really happened at Frostvellr, anyway?
: Feels like so long ago now, even though it wasn't really that long. You remember Onef?
: He tried to kill half the caravan. So...yes.
: Well, the big names in Frostvellr, when the dredge start showing up, they go for each other's throats. They were all trying to come out on top. Nothing surprising about that. Onef, though...he almost did it. Made it look like I was in charge, and everybody believed it because, well...I'm pretty convincing. Onef's got them fighting each other, and he's got me acting like an absolute madman doing all kinds of foul stuff. I'm not the kind to have regrets, but...I don't know why I ever listened to him. He'd been telling me what to do since I was a boy. It gave me some power, I guess. Gave a young, crazy boy the freedom to do what I do. Fun at first. But when things started looking bad, Onef tried to leave me in Frostvellr to save his own skin. Let me take the fall. After all that time, and all those things I did for him. I'm no genius, I'll admit it. But I'm no damned liar! Not like Onef.
Ekkill spits, as if trying to get the name out of his mouth.
: Who's still alive now, ya backstabbing son of a bitch? Me, that's who!
: Let's leave things here.
: Yeah, it's too damned cold to flap our jaws for no reason like this. I said my piece, varl. I'll see you around.

...and that's that for Ekkill. From that point on, whether he lives or dies is up ot the larger story of Iver, Juno, and Eyvind.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 24, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ekkill makes for a very particular role in the story. You've been groomed from the start to expect some of the people you trust to betray you. So it's important to have someone clearly untrustworthy to stay loyal. Provides a good sense of balance, and it helps reward you trying to be a good person despite it all.

There's an achievement for reaching the end of the game with everyone possible alive, and it'll accept either Ekkill or Egil, since any case where Ekkill join you gets Egil killed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think it was a real mistake to kill Egil off in the Onef bit, considering how much more screen time he gets in the later games, and he's alive if you don't import a save when it comes to BS2.

Onef's betrayal is a big part of BS1 and yet to play 'optimally', you have to try and avoid it totally. It's an awkward bit of design that I think they learned from in the later games.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Considering how many places Egil can die in the first game, I think it'd be kinda off for him not to get killed in Onef's betrayal.

Though honestly? Until my Alette died in 3, and I caught the "bring people back to life" bit, I thought it was a little weak that Oddleif survived Onef.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Holy crap, the Meinolf fight is ridiculously hard.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FairGame posted:

Ekkill's pretty observent.

WHen I'm a little more awake
Also, I'm assuming [Onef] is an error rather than a stylistic choice?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Xander77 posted:

Also, I'm assuming [Onef] is an error rather than a stylistic choice?

Whoops. That’s the find/replace marker for Onef portrait, but since we never recruited him I guess I never made it.

Will get that fixed along with the final update this afternoon.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

aegof posted:

Though honestly? Until my Alette died in 3, and I caught the "bring people back to life" bit, I thought it was a little weak that Oddleif survived Onef.

Yeah, kind of same. Though I quite like Oddleif and am glad she survived. They did have a superhuman magic wielder with them, so, you know.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CODA 6: SIDING WITH RUGGA

Let's pick things up at the end of Banner Saga 2, right before the parlay between Rugga and Meinolf.

Except this time, let's side with Rugga instead of the king.

The former governor's eyes look full of mischief.

Without warning, Rugga pulls his cloak pin dagger and lunges at King Meinolf who shifts slightly, the blade only piercing his side. Before anyone can react, Rugga slinks behind his fighters who are charging towards Hakon and King Meinolf.
: This is a drat shame. But I have to get my people inside those walls. You would...depths...you are doing the same thing. This is leading, right?
: I'm sorry it's come to this. Joined banners or not, we were clansmen.

And so we lose all our varl, along with Ludin and Yrsa. It's a defensible choice, I guess, but also one that cripples us and makes an enemy of our former friends. All because Rugga and Meinolf are a bunch of idiots.

Whatever; we'll just overwatch 'em to death.

Alette has gotten kind of bloodthirsty!

The enemy party includes Ludin, Yrsa, Hakon, and Meinolf. Along with a few generics. Each former hero comes with his/her equipped item; you'll get it if you down them. Killing Meinolf will end the fight.

Fortunately, it seems like downing any of them doesn't kill them.

Alette's not kidding. Meinolf can't take damage while king's guards yet live. They take health damage instead of him. And Meinolf regenerates armor.

Like so.

Gimme back that Worldhook, Yrsa.

And that Eyeless Rift, Ludin. (Amusing that Egil got the kill here.)

You get Dagr in this fight. I figured I'd have him down the King.

This is the same fight as in the other branch, except now we're on the opposite side. We're trying to take the city alongside Rugga, rather than push back Rugga's assault.

And this fight is BULLSHIT.

The smart play here is to have Oddleif take out enemy archers. Otherwise Alette will get picked apart by Bird of Prey before she can set up a proper overwatch trap. And the coming fight is a pain in the rear end.

This makes it...slightly less awful.

Eirik's coming on this one because it's gonna be a slog, and we need a willpower battery.

Oddleif's under AI control over there in the corner. She won't really do anything of use. Hakon's still here. Not sure if he'd have been replaced with another varl had he gone down in the previous fight.

Meinolf is poisoned again. And he'll take 1 damage every turn. And...that's kind of how we'll kill him because otherwise it's just awful.

You can't, Hakon. Nobody can. He's as good as dead; we just don't know it yet.

Here is why this fight sucks: Kingsguards will enter the field every other turn, and they have 15/16 stats for armor/strength. They clump up next to one another giving everyone shield wall. Meinolf gets a modified version of Ubin's "Stronger Together," where he can force adjacent units to attack everyone at once.

They soak up any damage to Meinolf.

If we had a 20+ strength monster with high crit, we could maybe burst through Meinolf's armor and knock him down. But that's something that really only a varl can do. And, well...the varl aren't on our side anymore. Maybe this fight's better with Ludin dead so that you keep the varl as you side with Rugga. Here, though...I briefly considered letting everyone die while Eirik was in stealth, and then just resting until Meinolf succumbed to the poison. It's THAT much of a pain in the rear end to fight this battle.

Seriously: the field is just strewn with kingsguard corpses, and they never stop coming.

Eventually Meinolf ends up low enough on strength that Alette can take him out.

It's not enough to get us inside, though.
: A nasty affair, taking over a kingdom.
Rugga is near you, rubbing the stump of his missing hand.
: I wish I could've done more today, but I doubt the king will last much longer inside the walls.

The closed gates, the stench of death - all of it threatens to turn your stomach and make you sick.
: I'm...I'm glad we're still alive through all of this, but...
: I know.
: We fought so hard to get here. For what?
: We made it to Arberrang, but not inside. We're no better off out here than in Boersgard.
: It wasn't supposed to be like this. We were going to save everybody.
: I'm glad the varl were able to make it inside, but I hate being separated from them.
Oddleif's eyes look as empty as you feel as she slowly glances around.
: What now?
: Well, we can't stay out here. As much as I'd like to sleep, we'll have to get behind those walls. Somehow. And then there's the Darkness.

...The rest of this is identical to the final conversation between Alette and Oddleif on the Meinolf path. The scout runs up, discovers that Canary's people murdered everyone in Tolir, it ends on a cliffhanger and we go to Iver vs. Bolverk at Manaharr.

So let's throw that fight, shall we?

This took a while. If you don't remover the Bellower buff from Bolverk, he's drat near invincible. Pretty sure Iver could've done it with better luck, but I wasn't really trying anyway.

So really all that changes is you don't get a chance to throw Bellower in the river before running away.

Which means that when the Serpent arrives to revive a dead Bolverk...

He awakens right next to Bellower. And removes the Silver Arrow that Rook gave his life for.

This in turn will get Krumr killed next game.

And that's it for Banner Saga 2's iteration of this path. We'll pick things back up in Banner Saga 3 by importing our save file.

: Alette. They're almost ready with the battering ram again. Get up.
You're exhausted. The gates of Arberrang have been closed to you and many other refugees, and now you've joined an uphill battle to change that, both literally and figuratively.

: Thinking this through.
: Don't. There's a wall between us and Arberrang. Simple. Ah, I know that look. "Of all the choices I could have made, why side with Rugga?"

: And you couldn't let King Meinolf abandon thousands of us out here, with the dredge on the horizon and the darkness closing. Let me make this easy for you. Once we get through that wall, we go our separate ways. You won't see the governor of Boersgard again.

: Depends on whether we succeed today.

: What's the plan?
: At my word, clansmen start fires further down the wall. That should split their attention from the gates. Archers behind my shields as they run the battering ram forward.
: They'll be waiting to greet us with swords and axes.
: That's why you're here. Who knows? Maybe they'll lay down their blades at the mere sight of the hero from Skogr.
: And if the gates stand, again? Even if we bash our way in...
: It won't stand, not this time. Trust me. Just remind your horse folk whose side they're on, will you? They're making the rest of us uneasy.

This is where the lack of development time for Banner Saga 3 really shows. A few missing conversations, an abrupt ending, and the Rugga path almost immediately going from "Rugga's a dick but he has a point" to "Rugga is irredeemably evil and you're gonna get railroaded onto the one true storyline." Which in a series where most choices have meaningful and lasting consequences, is some "You chose Anderson, but Udina is Councillor because we said so" levels of dumb and lazy.

So let's get this over with. Tiny roster...

All we have to do is get into the city. The map will keep throwing reinforcements at us, but with a horseborn we'll just race up before they can do much to us.

As in the Rugga fight at the beginning of our canonical BS3 play, there's a giant fire hazard that comes into play thanks to someone tipping over a brazier.

Yeah, yeah. I'm on it.

Tons of these guys will pour through the gate. And if they were smart, they'd just stand on the one square that's my victory condition. But they're not smart.

Ro'Ech with a -aggro item means they just kinda ignore him as he dashes up and in.

And that's that.

Seriously--that's all that's really different. Because now Meinolf's gonna send Petrus out to let everyone into the city, just as he did when we went out and captured Rugga ourselves in our canonical Saga.

Like so.

He's not real happy to see us, unlike the other version of this conversation, but it doesn't change what happens--everyone gets to come in, Rugga in chains, and we'll go talk to Meinolf.

As we went in, we had the "Canary killed everyone" conversation. Wanted to see if this would get rid of Canary or ALL horseborn.

: Mistake. You need horseborn, we not need you.
Canary screams as she departs, parting the crowds as her horseborn look for a place of their own.
: Better find some blankets or something to cover Scathach and our other friends, for now.
: Good idea. To most of these people they're all the same.
So...we just lose Canary.

We meet up with Hakon as he greets Fasolt.

Hakon doesn't join us here, though. I suspect he'll only join in the Raze event if we bribe them with supplies. But other than a distinct lack of heroes, it's all about the same from here on in.

We do get Ludin and Yrsa back, which is kinda nice, at least.

And that's that. I can't think of anything else to show off that isn't an enormous pain in the butt to get triggered.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just sent the email to Baldurk, so no more content from me here. Thanks for being patient with me as I did the postgame stuff at a much slower pace!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats on making it all the way through, it's been a hell of a journey

Nice to have confirmation that siding with Rugga is just straight up The Wrong Choice

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FairGame posted:

Just sent the email to Baldurk, so no more content from me here. Thanks for being patient with me as I did the postgame stuff at a much slower pace!
Thanks for the LP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You did the postgame stuff at like, a totally normal LP pace while the main game you chugged ahead like mad.

Thanks again for the LP! It was lovely.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

Congrats on making it all the way through, it's been a hell of a journey

Nice to have confirmation that siding with Rugga is just straight up The Wrong Choice

It’s not?

If ludin is dead siding with rugga is the only way to keep the varl

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Good job on the LP! You managed to get through the whole trilogy in two months and that's a really impressive rate. And I'm glad more people got to see this excellent series.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i81icu812 posted:

It’s not?

If ludin is dead siding with rugga is the only way to keep the varl

Yeah but the only way to get Ludin killed is to go along with Rugga's obviously incredibly shady scheme at Lundar

Or I guess you could make a series of insanely bad choices at Ridgehorn and then just refuse to save him

Basically if Ludin's dead it's because you consciously decided to get him killed, and you deserve Rugga

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ludin volunteered to do that!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Said it before, but since the LP is now done done, congratulations. It was a sweet ride, this game series is pretty cool.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This was excellent, and it let me see the games that I would never have played through because of the frustrating combat system. 5/5 would read again.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

It's a huge shame the combat system is so frustrating and offputting to so many people. I enjoyed it but something less experimental might've done wonders.

Thanks for showing so much of the game, Fair Play.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ludin volunteered to do that!

Ludin is an idiot, you need to stop him walking into obvious traps while desperately trying to prove himself!

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
As an aside: I gotta say that I think Ludin is my favorite character in this series. He arc/growth is pretty great.

I only ever played part of the first game but I freaking hated him. For him to go from that to what he was at the end of the third game makes my heart warm.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Happy holidays, folks. Hope everyone is getting some rest and not getting sick thanks to their disgusting nieces and nephews.

Anyway, bumping this to keep it out of archives until it gets to the LPArchive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Reasonably sure that's not a thing anymore:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/f...t&pagenumber=85

Also, I think baldurk can archive an archived game for the LParchive just archive fine.