Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

quote:

The Banner Saga is a story where everyone has bad poo poo happening to them, and most of it is small-potatoes enough that it'd be absurd to get involved.

This is a setting, after all, where the gods are dead and last week the freakin' sun stopped moving and people's response was to say "welp, guess that's a thing now".

I wouldn't call The Banner Saga grimdark, the way Warhammer is, but it's very very stoic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Our chieftain is plainly useless. Let's do what it takes to save civilians.

And as far as I'm concerned, Alette is one of the civilians we're trying to save. Keep her out of fights as long as possible.

Might as well leave the food stores. Who knows, maybe the dredge are just hungry and they'll be content to eat our food and let us escape.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I like how you can see your party characters walking in the caravan with everyone else.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

It just wouldn't be The Banner Saga if we didn't lose some named characters along the way. Gods speed, Griss: at least you died like a varl and didn't get beaten for drunkenness like that chump in Rook's group.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Maybe I missed something but hasn't the sequence of events so far been, "varl/humans wandering around, minding their own business, DREDGE loving MURDER EVERYTHING, caravans desperately fight to avoid destruction" so I'm not sure what this whole "provoking" thing is coming from.

There have been previous dredge incursions in history (years before the game started) and I guess humans blame the varl, rightly or wrongly, for provoking at least one of those.

There's a lot of lore in TBS but it's parceled out in bits and pieces. Heck, there's a lot to learn just from the map if you're willing to spend half an hour clicking on everything.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Which party composition is recommended for fighting a Great World Serpent?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Because the Varl are going to die out and he knows it. All that is left is their monuments, and honestly a bridge that takes 3 days to cross is ridiculously impressive.

"As the legend goes, the Varl only managed to build it by filling the gorge with the bodies of dredge and working atop them." :black101:

EDIT:

quote:

I don't know what [Ek sé mik] means. Anyone?

According to someone on Reddit it's "I see myself" in Old Norse.

Mechanical Ape fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 14, 2018

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

Alette knows none of that, because the only way this plan works is if everybody believes it will work.

And now Juno is the only one who knows the truth about what just occurred.

So let's review our cast of surviving heroes at this point. We've got Alette the hunter's child, and the one-armed varl Iver (formerly Yngvar), both grieving the death of Rook. Juno the Valka, who can manipulate minds, and who apparently was dead at one point but now isn't I guess? She's not talking. Eyvind, Juno's apprentice and maybe-also lover. The human prince Ludin and his bodyguards, Bersi the varl and the "witch" Yrsa who loves her some fire arrows. Hakon, de facto leader of whatever's left of the varl race, with his second in command Mogr. Ubin the elderly varl clerk who has retired from fighting, and Krumr who definitely hasn't. Oddleif, badass archer widow who really ought to be leader here. Nid, backup badass archer widow. The twins Hogun and Mogun. Egil, who with his indestructible metal shield might one day reach shaving age. And Gunnulf the varl warhawk. Also I think Eirik is still tagging along.

Did I remember everyone right? It's a lot of characters to keep track of.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Quick correction: The dredge are implied to be stone. That's why the varl call them slag. And it might just be stone armour at that; the slingers are unarmoured and who knows what is under those bandages.

There are references to dredge blood and dredge guts, and of course Raze was nursing a child, so I think we're meant to understand that dredge are flesh and blood under some sort of stone armor.

Stonesingers, the dredge counterpart to menders, seem able to control stone so maybe they're the artisans who make all the dredge equipment.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I like the occasional map cutaways and I hope we get more of them. I like keeping track of where everybody is and what the lore says about places we're headed toward.

1. Rook as we played him was self-sacrificing and accepting of everyone. So Alette should be different. I'm getting a slightly more cynical vibe from her, so I'm going to say: be cautious. Someone looks even slightly troublesome, Alette will happily sail on and leave them to starve. We can't afford to look like a pushover!

2. Mix fighters and civilians. Everyone's in this together. Every boat should be able to see to itself if necessary.

3. Pull over to repair boats. Boats are weird and unfamiliar, let's keep them in good shape where possible.

Also, I'd forgotten that the horseborn got freaked out by horses and killed them all, and most humans now have probably only seen one in pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

kw0134 posted:

That seems reasonable which means it somehow leads to Ragnarok coming early and dooming all life!

Ridiculous! The gods are dead, the sun has stopped, the dredge horde is rampaging, the World Serpent is awake and there's a mysterious darkness consuming all of the above.

So clearly it's impossible for things to get any worse. :imunfunny: