Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Whoa, Banner Saga 3 came out?! I completely missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ha, that's amazing. I didn't know you could barge in then barge back out. Incredible.

Edit: Oh! Another update. drat, didn't know things got that brutal when you lost. I liked this chapter because having a bunch of giant dudes slam fools over and over felt satisfying after the misery of Rook's crew. I never lost any second wave fights, and don't recall them being particularly challenging. Maybe they changed it since I played? That was way back when the game first came out.

Sankara fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 10, 2018

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I never put that Eyvind reference together, despite loving his work! How shameful of me.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That part with the mountain splitting in half and the snake is very exciting in action.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Nothing from The Neverending Story is ready for round two! Is Alette's imagination powerful enough to stop it?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I've never seen what happens when you stay, so do that. Uh... 3 days, I guess. We're living through a fairy tale, that's a fairy tale number.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

An enormous bummer.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think Ekkill is an interesting character. Pretty useful in combat, too.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The game is very clearly built around Alette, a lot more interesting stuff happens with her. But they did a good job with Rook. The two paths are worth playing through, especially making different choices... like at the end...

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This part is so loving cool. I can't believe this game didn't do well.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Since it's not that compelling, if Alette doesn't go wizard she gets +1 range. Which is admittedly pretty sweet, but like. C'mon. Magic.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I would be interested in a "this is how I fixed the video game" update!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

She can also tank world ending serpent attacks, so I think Juno is above such petty details.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

C! I haven't seen that option.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's odd, not spooky! Such slander.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Save everyone!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A lot of characters are blue and yellow, come to think of it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Great job! Looking forward to Banner Saga 3, I know nothing about it!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I get the feeling trying to force a contingent of horseborn out the walls will be... taxing.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's funny, Thrashers are really good in the free multiplayer game that me and sixteen other people played. But the axe brothers are just so completely outclassed by, well, everyone else.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The game is self-aware of how bad its AI is, so your units being AI offscreen obviously leads to their deaths.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Think you might need to get your apostrophe key checked, Fairgame. Unless you're doing a fun "the darkness is corrupting me" thing.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wow, I feel exhausted just reading this! Playing it must be a bummer.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Speaking of, seems like they kind of retconned Bersi. Or at least, he has a very strange way of wording things. In the first game he's just "all I care about is protecting Ludin", he's full ride-or-die with him. Then he up and bails on that in the second game, and now apparently he was with Ubin? Isn't that Gunnulf?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Right, I remember that, I'm just saying wording "I once was the bodyguard for Ludin while he did the visiting the varl capitol thing" as "I worked as a tax collector".

I mean, like, sure, he did both, but that's... burying the lead, I guess?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hey, Mogun got a line. Good for him.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A!

This is very interesting, I just played through the game myself and I didn't see this part. Curious.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ah, wow, I had no idea about the days left/content thing. That would explain my run of the game! I had something like 30 days to complete the quest, and did. I never went back to the city. Maybe this confirms that winning those battles in The Banner Saga 2 but still losing so many people wasn't a glitch? As a way of throwing off imported saves? That seems like an awfully gamey solution, especially considering they wrote in the "Serpent attack kills half the caravan" event. Hm.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

The Serpent Attack doesn't actually kill half the caravan, it does scatter the caravan, but by the next chapter I think most of it comes back with Rugga, with some dead of course.

Well, right, I'm saying maybe not do that. Rugga only finds some people, not practically (or even literally?) everyone.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I am most disappointed with Rugga. In my run of the game I sided with him, and other than the first mission being different and maybe like two lines of dialogue the game otherwise plays out exactly the same. It was very weird to go from "hell yeah Rugga I agree down with monarchy" to "hey yo gently caress this guy".

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

kw0134 posted:

You completely destroyed the entire trilogy in record time, you take all the time you need.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Not on my watch, Eyvind! All right, Alfrun, you... uh... oh, right. poo poo."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Let's give the rejects some love.

Ekkil
Bak
Sigbjorn

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

RIP Erik, you are good if you survive long enough to get your bear buddy who we never saw. I also got wrecked by Eyeless in survival mode, its just rough especially if you don't take a Varl tank like Griss/Mogr/Fasolt

Ekkil for Damage
Fasolt to Tank
Onef because... honestly I never really used him and I don't think anyone else ever really did either.

I did my first playthrough. Backbiters were great in the multiplayer mode.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Great LP! You did a wonderful job.

DeathSandwich posted:

So assuming you made the worst possible choice at every opportunity, what's the smallest number of heroes you can have survive to the end?

I think the smallest possible number of survivors is:
Oddleif
Aleo
Scathach
Zefr

(Other than the "everyone dies/everyone dies but Juno" endings, of course.)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

aegof posted:

Though honestly? Until my Alette died in 3, and I caught the "bring people back to life" bit, I thought it was a little weak that Oddleif survived Onef.

Yeah, kind of same. Though I quite like Oddleif and am glad she survived. They did have a superhuman magic wielder with them, so, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ludin volunteered to do that!