Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
[whoops!]

FairGame posted:

Ludin’s not so bad. He’s not really whining any more than Vognir did. Just...he’s royalty instead of a cool giant.

Ludin is great because he's nearly always right, he's just a real dick about it so no one listens

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The bros are correct re: the dredge and we will help them

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FairGame posted:

Hey man, mind editing that out?

Someone beat me to it but my bad, didn't figure that for a spoiler but on second thought...

Got to say it's pretty masochistic doing this on hard. I played through 2 again before I went on to 3 and even on normal it was a slog, and the combat is even better in that game than this one

FairGame posted:

And I discovered that the ps4 and pc versions of this game are balance-wise rather different. The axe bros are...good? Wasn't expecting that. Update tomorrow.

What's the difference? Is it just a couple stats, or something more profound?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

I actually got solid use out of axe bro's in my playthroughs, with some smart positioning their active ability can do pretty solid damage. They aren't the best human fighters, but they aren't bad.

They get shield wall which is nice because you can use them as tanks, since their active ability can be real useful even if their strength takes a beating. They're good lads

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you're that worried just play on easy and spend your renown on supplies. Rest when you hit low morale and don't sweat too much about the decisions, some will gently caress you over in a completely arbitrary way but nothing is a game ender

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechanical Ape posted:

Which party composition is recommended for fighting a Great World Serpent?

You need a bearded greek guy and his kid

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
2. Hold out to the bitter end. Die fighting or die running, know what I'd choose

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

3. I have never actually done this and want to see what happens.

FairGame posted:

: Not by myself. I could blast it apart, but this bridge wasn't made to fall. It'll take time, and concentration. That's why I need your help. And the varl will try to stop me. It could mean holding off both the dredge and the varl.

I'm assuming the consequences will be dire

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wait 3 days: What's the worst that can happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FairGame posted:

Ordinarily, I'd let the thread vote on this stuff, but frankly I don't think I can beat this game if I don't spend all my time fighting during the siege of Boersgard. We desperately need the renown.

You can trade the mead from Boersgard to Bolverk in exchange for a shitload of supplies. But we're not in danger of starving to death.

You can find a safe place for the caravan to stay, though doing so gets a lot of fighters killed as they die defending your clansmen and also don't have any assistance holding the dredge at bay that day. Later on we'll find out what happens if you don't find a safe place for your clansmen. (Surprise: it's not good).

I've never tried the other options. I'm guessing Krumr dies if you put him in charge even though he seems exceedingly hard to kill.

Okay so I hosed about with these a bit and here's the go: if you put Krumr in charge you lose a day but it hugely reduces your loss of fighters if you don't fight on the wall. Krumr is fine, he's the best. You can have your clansman take over abandoned houses and then appoint leaders- they're fine and you don't lose anyone. Everything else costs you fighters. It's mostly a trap. You never need to do anything on the docks, it's a timewaste.

Oh and if you don't fight on the wall when the stonesinger shows up Egil will die.

It's a real rat's nest of options and I spent a bit of time doing reloads to check them all out because I was curious so there you go

e: Hey Fairgame would I be good to talk about the various hilarious ways to get Egil wasted in this game or would that step on your plans?

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 17, 2018

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay! Egil!
-So during the first fights in the game in Skogr, if you let Alette join you there's an event where's she's attacked by a dredge. You're given three options, then another three depending on what you choose. Four of these six options will get Egil killed.
-FairGame described how in Frostvellr choosing to deal with Onef/Ekkill will inevitably kill him down the road in a mutiny, but he can also die if you decide to ambush the supply caravan and lose.
-On the summer path where you're given the choice to try and fight through the dredge or detour around we fought once and gave up, if you keep fighting it'll kill either Egil or Hogun/Mogun, seems random?
-In Einartoft if you decide to stay and destroy the bridge and wait for Iver but you choose to tend the wounded and clear the bodies instead of fighting on the bridge, Egil will die.
-Finally in Boersgard as I mentioned he dies if you don't fight the stonesinger.

The best part is it's all extremely in character. He's not a varl, he's barely a trained fighter, he's just an extremely brave kid with a big shield, and the Banner Saga universe doesn't care how fearless you are and how much you want to protect your friends, if you go charging into situations that get you in over your head someone bigger and nastier will walk right through you

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Be cautious, less fighters, move everyone onto the good boats, these scrap hulks probably aren't repairable! I played TBS2 real recently so I'm just going to vote the opposite way to the choices I made

Overwatch is hilariously overpowered against less armoured enemies like humans and fun friends we meet later because you can boost Alette's strength, use other archers to break armour and then have puncture activate on anyone who gets close. What makes it truly ridiculous is if you give her a later item that extends her range and causes knockback on any attack doing more than 3 strength damage- melee fighters walk into range, get knocked back and just end their turn instead of moving again. It's basically infinite rain of arrows that tracks enemies. It can completely trivialise some later fights.

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 19, 2018

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A B B

As tempting as it is to drop Rugga, he's not the type to put himself in harm's way, so probably a lot of people who aren't looking at us through their helmets would go with him...

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Centurium posted:

Man, what is Krumr doing joining the Ravens?

The fixpack Xander linked a while back seems to restore a conversation with him where he explains- basically, he feels old and like he's losing his edge, which is understandable considering that apart from Ubin he might be the oldest varl, and the Ravens offer him two options- stay sharp or die fighting, both of which seem like fine options

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
B1. I haven't tried it, and I'm curious to see what happens to Odd and the horseborn.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine I went through this comic crossing out 'beartato' and writing 'eyvind'

As far as the witch tied to the tree event, if you take her with you she gives you a ton of supplies and then runs off, there are no negative consequences that I ever saw. Also, the thing in the cave where Dytch is talking to that woman? There is a second part that only triggers in the cave, and I had to look it up because it's total bullshit! She's a spirit. You're given a bunch of choices for dealing with her, all of which lose you a TON of morale and/or injure Bolverk, unless you make the correct raven choice, which is to headbutt her. Yeah. That raises morale, gives you renown, and is entirely in character. I love this game.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FairGame posted:

Because Iver can walk wherever he wants, he is at zero risk of hitting lightning. If you can knock Bolverk into lightning (using Battering Ram), it'll cause him to take damage and remove the Bellower passive. He'll still want to kill us, but he won't be doing it with 4/4 regen.

oh son of a bitch

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Keep the horseborn. Canary's so straightforward. "Yeah, we killed those people and took their stuff. Wait, is that a problem?"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey FairGame, you mentioned finding a way to manually adjust your clansman etc totals during TBS2- would it work for TBS3? I'm looking for a way to import my TBS2 save and then adjust my caravan numbers down into single digits, for reasons

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh nice! Much obliged. Will have a crack at it, was assuming it would be a lot more complicated

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

Considering his stomach has now been exploded I suspect that maybe the Serpent is not making very rational decisions.

The serpent has found through repeated attempts that it can't kill Juno, so it brought back the one person whose mind she can't can't affect to do the job instead. As for Bolverk's warped army, I'm going to guess gameplay conceit?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Apostate indeed owns and is probably my favorite guy in the series.

All of the dredge friends are so insanely good, it's a wonder anyone actually survived the previous games

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
C. Let those guys we've been dragging around pull their weight a bit

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

A. We have a competent and unmangled party, we want the renown and poo poo, and pretty much every other option is going to get everyone killed (which is one of the problems with this game - you're rewarded for being a micro-managing rear end in a top hat, and delegating responsiblity to anyone other than Kumr is a net loss)

It is a shame that everyone in your party will absolutely just loving die if you let them try and do anything without peering over their shoulder, it's like shepherding around a band of hyper-violent 2 year olds

The notable exceptions being Oddleif, Krumr and Petrus

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

To be fair it backfires if you actually lose fights while micromanaging.

RIP Griss from like update 3.

That's true, and it's kind of sign what an inessential character Griss is that I completely forgot about him

Is there anyone else you can lose by loving up fights? Apart from Egil? I know you can get the shield brothers killed a bunch of times, and in TBS2 and 3 if you've got Ekkill he picks up Egil's mantle of 'honestly just cannot wait to get himself killed'

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly curious about what happens in you just straight up kill him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
B. We're absolutely in this together, so let's try trusting Folka to know her crew

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A. Let's grab the absolute MVP

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A. Alette needs to do this alone.

On my playthrough I left Rugga in his cell without even listening to his offer because I assumed wasting him would make things worse somehow. He just turns up here and basically says exactly the same thing as the old man, just a bit more grandiose. Kind of annoyed that I could have just put him down with impunity and it makes no difference

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 14, 2018

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oddleif dying here on my Rook playthrough was legitimately the only time over the whole Saga that I actually reloaded my game in order to make a different choice

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bewilderment posted:

Dytch gets a really weird amount of screen time in this game. I guess to make up for just kinda showing up in BS2? I dunno.

Also possibly because the POV character in TBS2 threatened to kill him every time Dutch stood too close

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

Poor Eyvind doesn't deserve any of this.

Yeah but if there's any overriding moral to the whole Banner Saga series, it's that sometimes life just plain sucks, so pick your poo poo up and keep going because the universe doesn't give a rat's rear end about what you deserve

Choosing to rush Bolverk isn't the worst choice- you don't have to fight the first two waves, and on my run I got lucky when I had Iver bash his armour, and then Castaway hit him with an attack that activated both Exploit and Artery Strike, adding the critical increase to the puncture damage increase and dropping him like a sack of potatoes, which was extremely anticlimactic

Oh and C. Juno seems to have accepted how this has to go, but Eyvind seems to need a little more convincing?

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 20, 2018

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

Ah, well, didn't see that then. Shame on you Crane Fist, as Kratos, murderer of families, civilizations, and gods, said, we must be better than this.

Like I said before, I've finished TBS3 once and I'm specifically voting for different choices then the ones I made, because following along with the LP so far has illustrated that I basically did everything absolutely wrong in every situation

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

That's understandable, but FairGame explicitly asked people who already finished the game not to participate in the vote for this final decision.

Oh piss on it. I missed that completely. My bad! I'd delete my post but it wouldn't make any difference now that the vote has closed

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

TheDarkId also takes a long time. Don't even get me started on ChipCheezum's stuff.

What even happened to that guy, anyway?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

Voidburger was banned for calling Lowtax out, and a bunch of people left in solidarity. I think Chip is dating her, so that's a given.

drat, it's all gone down. Guess I'll just have to play MGS5 myself then

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats on making it all the way through, it's been a hell of a journey

Nice to have confirmation that siding with Rugga is just straight up The Wrong Choice

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i81icu812 posted:

It’s not?

If ludin is dead siding with rugga is the only way to keep the varl

Yeah but the only way to get Ludin killed is to go along with Rugga's obviously incredibly shady scheme at Lundar

Or I guess you could make a series of insanely bad choices at Ridgehorn and then just refuse to save him

Basically if Ludin's dead it's because you consciously decided to get him killed, and you deserve Rugga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Ludin volunteered to do that!

Ludin is an idiot, you need to stop him walking into obvious traps while desperately trying to prove himself!