Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I had no idea that could happen because I never lost those engagements. If my party was too heavily injured I just didn't do the second fight, but even when I did I was never actually defeated because Mogr and Ludin would always clutch it out through tanking and impaling, respectively. Oh well, it's a good thing you didn't waste renown on leveling Griss. I personally never used him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh, also, a tip to the LPer and to people reading along, use the Training Tent. Units who fall in battle during those mock battles don't actually get Injured, so you can use anybody you want with abandon, and while you don't get renown or items for training, the most important aspect of the Training Tent is that any kill you get in those mock battles do count for promoting your units. I didn't know this until the second game, but it changed everything about the way I used some units, like Egil for instance.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It took me a long time to understand that weird dream Hakon had (like, I was in the 3rd and last game before it finally clicked), but saying anything now would be a spoiler so an explanation will have to wait. To be fair, the game never actually tells you the deal with it, but you can make a good inference.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
One of the devs for the games took an active part in the previous LP done of the first game and gave us the background for the gods and their role in things. It was just one god being a dick and the other god who made humans accidentally starting ragnarok for the gods early.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
OOOH gently caress, that was incredibly bad luck there, not only with the events but with the double Worldhook. The game gave you two chances to get that amazing item but you couldn't. Worldhook is seriously amazing, and since it only requires rank 2 it's also useful for just about everybody.

I never played on Hard, and reading this LP I don't think I ever will. The battles were hard enough for me on Normal, Hard would be just brutal. For reference, playing this section on normal my first time, I think I had a little over 10 days worth of supplies and only 1 or 2 injuries and good morale. My subsequent playthroughs, now that I knew what I was doing, it was even more days, more people, and no injuries, yadda yadda, you get the point.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You'll want a Kratos for sure, with an Atreus for support and sub DPS. I recommend a Mimir for pointing out weak points.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
2.) Try to hold out a while longer in hopes that Iver recovers and can offer guidance?

Also WOW 3 WORLDHOOK SPAWNS???? I've never seen someone so lucky before. I would consider that to be in the top 3 best buyable items in this game, and you got it 3 times in a row. I've never seen something like that before playing this game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Maybe if we use the baby as a dredge shield, the dredge will know that we're not the true enemy! I vote Two

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Juno is a magic wizard who was able to communicate across more than 2 weeks worth of traveling distance in a dream. If she isnt here by now, she may not even come. Wait 1 Day, then book it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There is a particularly bad problem in both BS2 and 3 where the stat allocation screen has a VERY severe memory leak issue. Your memory usage will ramp up QUICK on that screen, and that screen only for some weird reason. Know where you want to put your stats and items in advance.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Hakon. King of the Varl vs. King of the Dredge, this Sunday SUNDAY SUNDAY

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Ohohoho, now the real fun starts. Having played all three games at least twice now, I have to say that Banner Saga 1 is probably the most balanced out of all of them. There are units in BS2 and 3 that are just outright superior to the rest of the cast by a large margin, to the point where great teams can be set up specifically to support one character only, like that Krumr and Eyvind combo FairGame showcased in his updates, but taken to the max. While the gameplay does get more fun from here on out, looking back BS1 was definitely the game where characters felt like they were on a more even playing field.

Also yeah that Bellower last fight can be total bullshit, and the only way to make it not bullshit is to do exactly what FairGame did in this update: Attack Bellower so he gets immediate initiative, and have him immediately waste that turn and repeat until he's dead. If you play this fight like you might every other fight in the game, you will get wrecked hard. I must have redone this fight at least 4 times, and that was on Normal. The LP is on Hard. BTW, will you continue playing the rest of the games on Hard? Some of the fights are intense on Normal, I can't imagine Hard difficulty.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I do in fact agree that this was the "correct" choice, both from a gameplay standpoint and from a character standpoint. It works if you examine the characters' motivations and knowledge going into the final fight. Rook knows that the arrow won't actually kill Bellower. Juno literally told him that Bellower cannot be killed, won't die from this, and will return again later pissed as gently caress. This is a relatively short term strategy to buy time for a better plan in the future. He also knows that Bellower, believing that this arrow can kill him, will immediately gun for whoever fires it, very likely killing them.

Alette knows none of that, because the only way this plan works is if everybody believes it will work. She is asking to take the arrow based on the flawed assumption that it will kill the big threat. This has nothing to do with being a better shot, because the arrow's only purpose is to make Bellower believe in the magic arrow. It could just bounce right off his big metal chest and it would still have the same mental effect of "uh oh, I'm mortal now." It would be irresponsible for Rook to place his daughter's life in even greater peril than she is already in for a non permanent solution.

Also the gameplay standpoint is Alette is rad as hell in the second and third games.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'l only vote on the first choice because I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the second and third choices, it's been a while since I've played the beginning of BS2. I say go with 2) Be cautious.

Also Alette's Overwatch is exactly as overpowered as it has always been. You need to get it to rank 2 at least (rank 3 preferably obvs) and for Alette to have Artery Strike and maybe Lucky Shot maxed, and also have an item that knocks back on strength attacks equal to or greater than 3, preferably said item also boosts another stat. You may think "hm, thats a whole lot of conditions that need to be met for this skill to be broken" but dude, dude it's easier than you think to set up and it destroys everything. Park Alette close behind Egil or another tank to draw aggro, and watch your enemies just die while they try to close the gap.

In fact, a specific strategy I would sometimes employ, mind you this was on Normal difficulty, was run Alette straight out into the open with no back up and set up Overwatch. Enemies will naturally target her all by her lonesome and BOOM, HEADSHOT to every single one. The great thing about Overwatch knocking targets back with the knockback item(s) is that it just immediately ends the target's turn. IT. JUST. ENDS. They don't get to do any bullshit, they just end. There are very few exceptions to this.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah I'm glad to see Overwatch even on Hard turns the game into easy mode. There is exactly one item upgrade to the Gormr Statue for Alette, and depending on your viewpoint it's more of a horizontal promotion. That is Stravh's Bond, an item that grants +1 to Str Talents, and +2 Str. You give up the will per kill in exchange for more strength, but what I did is bring Aleo along to every fight. Aleo, if he is two tiles or so away from an attacker when they kill an enemy, will give everybody in the party a +1 boost to willpower. Park him next to Alette, who racks up kills like candy, and laugh your way to the bank. Alternatively keep him with the melee offensive on your party, but that's less guaranteed in my opinion.

Anyway, choices, let's see. This event is one of the most memorable in the game, both in terms of what you can lose and the sheer presentation of it. Your entire caravan of hundreds of people are suspended in the air supported only by 2 wizards with a swarm of stone monsters close behind. This poo poo is dire.

A.) Let him concentrate. This is probably tough enough.

A.) Let them come. We can kill dredge, if it comes to it. We can't kill gravity.
Alette is officially a machine gun on legs, we can take 'em.

D.) Oh hey, Governor Rugga and his retinue are clumped up. We could probably get rid of them and make it look like an accident... Yea let's do it gently caress that guy. Anybody with that hairdo is undeserving of life.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
B all the way THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH POWER. Alette must snipe the very heavens!!!!!

Something that the LPer has certainly realized but others may not: Bolverk's whole team is built around supporting Bolverk, and in fact, he's one of the units I mentioned before as being incredibly powerful above everyone else. Cull the Weak is an insanely strong ability provided you use it right. And there's something else in Bolverk's caravan that the game itself indirectly gives you tutorials on. It's not unique to Bolverk's party, of course, but it's something that in my experience can be exploited to greater potential with him. That is the power of having less heroes in your active party. Why would you want that? To reduce the time it takes for your heroes to act. Remember that until you reach Pillage mode, all combat is turn based. You get a turn, the enemy gets a turn. With a full party, even with Krumr, Bolverk has to wait six turns, not counting enemy turns, to act again. A lot can happen in that time. But if you shorten your party down, well, then everybody gets more turns to act. On all my playthroughs so far, my roster has always always eventually become Bolverk, Folka, Oli (Oli is a God of Death, trust me, this dude kicks rear end), Sparr, and eventually a fifth member we haven't gotten yet.

Again, that was on Normal difficulty, maybe Hard is too tough to try something like that reliably, but don't underestimate exploiting the turn order in this game.

EDIT: Oh, also, because of Bolverk's unique ability to attack twice in a single turn and his being a varl who always have good strength, Break items are extremely powerful on him.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 21, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
B1, because I can't remember if I chose this option or not and I'm curious about what happens. Ludin was pretty bad at fighting dredge his first outing, and I don't know if his character development includes getting better at fighting them, so let's not do B2.

And hey, you got lucky 4 times in a row with the Worldhook in the first Banner Saga, maybe you'll come across Stravh's Bond again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I really like the choice diversity with this decision. It seems everybody knows that this is a very bad situation to be in and no matter what happens there are going to be losses, so the choice more becomes "which one will make you lose less."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
B. Save the families.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
As we could not save our family, let us save the family of all.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You're correct, but also, it is genuinely bugged. You are not supposed to lose that many.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
B.) Let it come with us and see what happens
B.) LET IT COME WITH US AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
A.5.) Ignore them and see if Fasolt is right about being able to avoid fights with dredge.

And as for B, Krumr is in the running for the oldest varl in existence. This big guy has seen more battles than generations of humans have lived years. He can lead.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That fight where you're just trying to bash the snow barricades to escape is, no matter the difficulty, one of the hardest fights in the game. It's also one of the few you can farm for infinite renown, but again, it's so hard I've never bothered.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
B. Put that boi in his place.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
A. If Hakon turns against us, you can bet the rest of the varl will too. I don't know about you, but the varl are cool people and we shouldn't piss them off.

Also Mask of Andvettir is in the running for Egil's best item period. +2 Arm and +2 Aggro, combined with his shield wall, means he is invincible to pretty much everything so long as he is only blocking. And even if he isn't, that high ARM stat means they won't be able to get to his STR without a direct ability or a lot of breaking.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

New Wave Jose posted:

The cryptic crazy guy said: "Killing kings requires a lot of lives. It's just as easy to kill clansmen instead."

Oh holy crap now I understand the point of those separate conversations. I was kind of weirded out my first time playing because I expected them to give me either items or renown, but instead got nothing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
A only because I never got to use Canary in my game because I drove her and her murdering rear end in a top hat friends away.

I put Monster Killer on my Alette, for the same reason you said someone with a lot of kills should get it. With Alette on duty, she racks up kills like shooting fish in a barrel. And The Last Standing is GREAT for a tank, like Folka, because not only does it give extra armor but it adds guaranteed armor regen. There are some other titles though that I never got to use, either because I couldn't find the right character for them or because I didn't have enough renown. I'm very curious what you decide to do. Also, Death's Messenger Oli becomes a murder machine, more so than he already is. He can essentially become a poor man's Alette for the other party.

And wait a minute, where is Shield Cleaver or Shadow Walker? Wait a minute...you...you didn't buy the deluxe edition? You...your going to miss out on Best Boy Kivi????

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The LPer didn't change the roster in the first game to get Tryggvi, so I doubt he'll do it here. Which is a shame, because Kivi is absolutely one of the best units in this game, and honestly his whole deal is really cool.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Put The Mountain on that big boy and never look back, imo

EDIT: Also, I really hope you use some new characters that get introduced in this game. I had a hard time using most of them because my guys were already leveled and I was used to them, but I always thought it was a shame.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 7, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The only axe dude worth a drat is Oli, because he just murderizes things.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oddleif is a horse girl...:reject:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Apostate and Kivi are both AWESOME. Apostate is easily the best character in the game who isn't named Alette, for reasons you've already outlined. Kivi is a tank almost as invincible as Egil, but with far more strength to throw around. People I've seen elsewhere claim they used him as a breaker tank, but I think that's a waste of his enormous strength stat, and I always used him as a bruiser. Like I said before, put The Mountain on him and laugh your cares away. Him and Iver make one hell of a team.

Don't discount Troll Stones, btw. Used correctly you can pretty much negate a few enemy turns as well as protect yourself. At rank 2 and 3 you get +1 additional stone to cast on the battlefield, btw, which I'm only pointing out because I myself did not know that until the very end of the entire Saga.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Hey, how about not calling our friend and big boy an idiot? Don't insult our man Hakon. I can't say what will happen with any of these choices (because I don't remember) but I vote Not B. I don't know if that counts...probably not.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Canary and Ro'Ech. My only reason is because I never used them and I'm curious how you'll fare with them. And hell yeah you're keeping Ubin in the main party. Ubin is great, and I would almost consider him a straight upgrade to Rook, almost.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
C I'm going to choose this game's equivalent of the Goku option.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You are playing this part of the game much differently than I did, and I love it, because if anything it sounds like you're having an easier time of it than me.

I won't vote on A, but for B, I nominate Kivi and Alfrun. I never used Alfrun in my own playthrough, and I'm curious how you'll do. And also I had at least 1 ranged unit in the party at all times, because Oli with Death's Messenger is an absolute beast, so it'll be interesting to see how you do with no real ranged attackers.

C -
Give Alfrun The Whisper
Egil the Hopeful, so this boy can synergize EVEN MORE with Alette, his childhood love
Canary gets The Wolf
And since Ubin will be in your party confirmed already for sure, we should give him a title too, so make it Unmoved

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know anybody sane who would walk into enemy lines alone without some sort of bodyguard. Oddlief and Alette, thick as thieves from the start. We ride together, we die together.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Watch Alette overwatch the serpent to death out of nowhere, and the camera pans up to reveal that they are right underneath Arberrang and within her tile range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
This is cool and exactly what I wanted to see. Egil in a normal playthrough is basically always invincible, and Alette is basically always a murder goddess. Seeing it on Hard and with a different team comp is refreshing.