Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really like the story, I've read the first LP of this game. But the clansmen/fighters/supplies management sounds really complicated and apparently can make the game unwinnable if you do too many bad decisions throughout your playthrough, without becoming immediately obvious. I'm super worried that I can screw up my run and only notice it hours later, so I've been too scared to buy the game.

I will follow this LP, I'm really curious how the story continues after Banner Saga 1. I've tried to follow some other Let's Plays, but most of them were video LPs, and the combat isn't really interesting enough to keep me engaged. This just works a lot better as a screenshot LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Whoa, a tough decision. Was tempted to vote for Eyvind, but I think Hakon deserves to be in the final fight.

I'm pleased with the silver arrow choice, I'm really curious how it plays out in the rest of the trilogy

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, seeing Alette die was a huge downer in the first LP. It's always super cruel when a parent outlives their child, but this happening while the world is ending just reinforces the overall picture of there being no future.

But at least we got cute art with Alette, Egil and the serpent out of it!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm surprised at how short the game seems. I guess you're supposed to play it multiple times making different choices.

You're probably underestimating how long it takes to fight the battles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can any of these choices lead to Egil's death? :ohdear:

Gonna vote for cautious, mixed, fix the boats.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Shooting lightning bolts from your bow is a fantasy staple, let's learn magic!

Also, Juno kinda was dead on top of that tower, I think? I'm all for our mysterious woman getting less mysterious, too bad the POV changed at that moment.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FairGame posted:

That's the thing. It doesnt. It's been out for 2 years and for 1.75 of those years it's been fine. They broke it with the release of banner saga 3.

LP will pause for a couple days as I try to roll back the game, fail at it, corrupt my save, reinstall, and have to play catchup

That's a pretty mild LP curse, all things considered.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FairGame posted:

Good news. I’ve solved the problem with editing not only in theory but also in practice. We will be back up and running fairly soon.

That's indeed good news.

The way you sped through BS1 was very impressive, I wouldn't have minded a pause until the issues with BS2 get fixed. You've more than earned it, but I'm still glad that this is not necessary.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

professor_curly posted:

Crazy spearman said it would be best to stick to the mud, so I think we avoid the markers. When has listening to the crazy spearman ever gone wrong before?

I was ready to vote for following the markers, but this is very convincing. Avoid the markers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
B2

I hope it doesn't get too many people killed :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
B - Save the people!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think A is the only sensible option, but I really want to see what happens. B!

I also somehow mostly forgot about Bellower, him being in Bolverk's caravan is very concerning :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just thought about it:

quote:

The corridor will lead us to Manaharr in a week's time. See us there safely and I give you a genuine Valka oath: you will be rewarded well enough to never need work again.

If they kill Bolverk to keep the secret of Bellower, he will never have to work again :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FairGame posted:

6 clansmen leave so they can study flowers for the rest of their lives. Which I imagine will be fairly short.

Oh c'mon I befriended you guys!

Since you haven't seen them in any other battle. War bears have a lot of strength and also you have to take out their armor before you can do any strength damage. They're like Folka. Only dangerous.

Iver with the Gold Bridle is gonna be nuts. When he crits, he just absolutely mangles things.

Really not much to talk about in this fight. Just a bunch of overwatch.

Everyone's home is getting ruined by whatever's happening to the world.

Is there something missing here? Are those the kragsmen that we took in who are fighting us?

Also, things are really going to poo poo. Juno screwing with Alette's mind is not cool! I wonder if Iver actually volunteered to accompany them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A

It's a bit out of character for Alette, but I don't trust Rugga at all. And sometimes you have to make the hard decisions.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm very glad that we won that fight against Bolverk!

What was Eyvind doing the whole time? Trying to hold back the Darkness?

I really hope Juno and Eyvind don't get off scot free, just because they (presumably) help fix the mess they cause.

Also, that's a lot more of a cliffhanger than BS1. Which kind of makes sense, you want your first game to be relatively self contained in case you don't make a second one, but they must have planned to make BS3 before they finished BS2.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FairGame posted:

It almost worked, if not for you. The enemy pulls back, leaving you amongst the groans of wounded and dying.

This seems like an error.

I feel like for this game, B is the correct answer. But I think Alette would not think so. So it's A.

Also, one question: How can there be any snow left when the sun stopped overhead for months now?? How is there not so much more ecological devastation, instead of nearly all environmental damage seemingly being caused by the snake and the darkness?

Good to know that Folka survived and that we can give items to her. I guess she's with Iver, Juno and Eyvind?

What's the serpent doing with Bolverk? :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
He does look like somebody honest, and Alette really has no experience to deal with big city politics. The king also seems to have a change of heart, so I'm inclined to trust Petrus. Besides, Alette in this playthrough tends to give people a chance to prove themselves, and is not too proud to take advice (from Oddleif for example, but also Rugga in not splitting our forces, or Tryggvi for sticking to the mud, etc.). It usually worked out, so I'm for A.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Night10194 posted:

You know, when it turns out Juno is that trickster god who made the silver weapons that 'killed' the Gods in the first place and this whole mess has been a trick to get the surviving Varl, Humans, Horseborn, and Dredge to work together, like on a bigger scale than the original creation of the Dredge, everyone is going to feel very silly.

I don't actually think this is what's happening at all, obviously, but it would be goddamn hilarious.

Then the trickster god did a great job. By killing what, 80% of the remaining Varl? In a race that can't procreate?

Voting A as well, but I'm really curious when this will finally backfire on us. Or was this something strictly for BS1?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dong Quixote posted:

Did this backfire? That dredge baby we adopted is probably a strapping dredge toddler at this point and helping out with caravan chores.

We avoided that choice in BS1, with the guy who would have killed Egil.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I worry something bad will happen to Oddleif if we bring her with us outside.

On the other hand, she has so often been right about things, giving Alette much needed support.

So tough to decide!

Voting A, because the game won't kill our main character so shortly (I presume) before the finale? Right? RIGHT? :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can a mender conjure food? Because otherwise, this might get pretty bad even if we win.

So here's in broad strokes how I imagine this ending: Juno and Eyvind do whatever to undo/beat the darkness. Alette gets the remaining dredge to follow her, and then has one big last bossfight holding the city to give Juno and co. the time to finish whatever they are doing. Probably against the snake?

The serpent is slain/defeated, the darkness disappears. Will the plants and animals and people warped by the darkness return to normal? And even if the answer is yes, where can the thousands upon thousands of people in Arberrang get food? They've been besieged first by a human army, and then by a dredge army, and likely by a warped army led by the serpent soon. Those besiegers will have foraged and picked the surrounding areas clean.I fear there will be mass starvation at the end anyway. Sea life has been poisoned, and even the horseborn will likely have to travel for a while until they find new sources of food.

The whole situation is pretty bleak.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xander77 posted:

C obv. Girl power let's have a bodyguard.

Also, last time we went out to confront the dredge at the endgame, having a soare main character nearby was a very good idea.

Well, you've convinced me. Changing my vote from A to C! I hope that's okay, FairGame.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Josef bugman posted:

I think there may be more options to increase the timer. Like, after we kill the serpent... probably.

Why would killing the serpent increase the supplies in Arberrang? Or make it easier for the menders to hold the protective sphere up? I'm not seeing it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If I understand this correctly, the serpent is only indirectly connected to the darkness, right? Both were set free when Eyvind broke the inner sun, but they are independent of each other. So killing the serpent wouldn't end the darkness, which means the game won't end until we deal with the inner sun somehow (unless we lose and get a game over). And Eyvind saying that there should be enough energy left over from the inner sun to kill the serpent tells me that it hasn't been killed by the giant whale.

Anyway, I see some more worrying things in the future. Eyvind's plan sounds like madness. How appropriate. Kill the serpent to save Juno? And then? The serpent is gone, while Eyvind and Juno spend the rest of their (immortal in Juno's case) lives playing candle to keep the darkness at bay?!? That's not a good plan at all! I hope we don't have to kill Eyvind at the end to prevent him from doings something even dumber than him reviving Juno in the first place! :ohdear:
I'm really curious what Alfrun has to say about all of this. How much of what Eyvind and Juno said is bullshit? Is there another way to solve all those problems? Will there be a fight between Juno+Eyvind against Alfrun+Dredge, and we have to choose sides?

I also hope Alette is okay. I can live with Ludin dying on the walls to save Arberrang, but perhaps we can pass the checks so that he survives.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
In the end, I think I trust Juno to do a heroic sacrifice. That Eyvind is so clearly reluctant to do this confirms for me that this will not make Juno into a goddess. So I think convincing him to follow Juno's original plan is best. We don't want to do what the serpents wants us to do. It's job is to destroy the world, it's even less trustworthy than the two valka. And personally I can't really judge Alfrun if she's reliable or not, she was not long enough in the caravan. I could even see her attempting to do what she accuses Eyvind and Juno to do, to become a goddess. Or she fixes everything. It could go either way, imho.

So C is my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crane Fist posted:

Like I said before, I've finished TBS3 once and I'm specifically voting for different choices then the ones I made, because following along with the LP so far has illustrated that I basically did everything absolutely wrong in every situation

That's understandable, but FairGame explicitly asked people who already finished the game not to participate in the vote for this final decision.

FairGame posted:

Choose wisely. And for god's sake, if you've already played, stay the hell out of the vote.