Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Halcyon City is entering a new phase of trouble. A shadowy organization known as "Fletcher Memorial" has been abducting every Super over a certain age they find, for unknown purposes. As best they can tell, they're all alive... but that still leaves more than a few gaps in power that other, younger supers are rushing to fill!

But The Wrecking Crew has their own agenda. Keep people safe, try and maintain this fragile peace, and bring back the missing Supers. Goals one and two are, at least, what brings them to their main task of the evening...

The HALCYON CITY FAIR has come with the beginning of Summer, offering nights of entertainment and things getting deep fried that shouldn't be deep fried... but also danger! The team has heard rumors that a Villain of their generation, "The Professor", intends to strike during the fair for nefarious purposes!

But, that was to come later. Right now, it was the late afternoon, and they were all... well, elsewhere! Elsewhere, preparing for the likely long evening ahead of them, so that they could watch for trouble and, hopefully, nip it in the bud.

Where are our heroes, and what are they up to?

----------------------
Everyone please put a copy of your character sheet at the bottom of their first post, and update it as things progress!

OUR CAST
Lynx, played by Dawgstar!
Dark Star, played by ilootthecorpse!
Supernova, played by Tardzilla!
Skull, played by Heliotrope!
Shade, played by Yami Fenrir!
The Shadow, played by Lazy Bear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Kenny Klauson, the Doomed

Tonight was going to be big so Kenny needed to have his head straight. No crap hanging over him, no stuff going on at home, no nothing. He'd already done his chores (or shoved enough stuff in closets to make it look like he did), already made sure his little brother got his homework done, and now he was trying to find his flow.

nose manual - pop shovit - rear manual

Kenny kept his head down and on all of the technicalities. Foot here, weight there, watch for rocks in front of the wheels, focus but don't force it.

kickflip - 180 body varial

Kenny landed it, but he didn't have his balance. To save it he had to stomp down on the tail of his board and bring it to a skidding halt to stop himself from falling off. "gently caress." He was still all up in his own head. He looked up across the parking lot where the Fair workers were finishing up the prep and wondered about The Professor. Was he already there? Would he and The Crew be walking into a trap?

"Come on, Ken. Get it together." He took a deep breath, blew it out, and took a few running steps before he jumped back on his board.

pre:
Hero Name: Dark Star
Look: Man, white, steely eyes, unassuming clothes, no costume
Abilities: Superhuman strength and speed, body transmutation, telekinesis 
Labels:
Danger   +2
Freak    +1
Savior   +1
Superior -1
Mundane   0

Moves:

Nemesis: You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and 
embodying your doom. It’s going to take everything you have to take them down in 
the time you have left.

When you take action against you Nemesis, mark potential if you succeed and your
doom track if you fail.

Doom: You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you, or maybe you’re hunted 
ruthlessly, or maybe you embody an apocalypse. But one way or another, your future 
is grim. What brings your doom closer?

1. Overexerting yourself
2. Facing danger alone

Whenever you bring your doom closer, move your doom track forward.

Doom track: 0/5

Doomsigns: These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. 
Once you have taken all five doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” 
the next time your doom track fills. 

Known:
Infinite Powers -  Mark your doom track to use an ability from any playbook, one time.

Sactuary: You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers.

Positive - Aide and assistance, healing energies, and a meditative aura
Negative - Difficult to access and tied intricately to your doom 

Moment of Truth:

The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back most of the time. 
But right here, right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all, what’s the worst
that could happen? Is it worse than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything. But mark 
a doomsign after you’re finished.

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 
a Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask 
if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your 
doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

When our team first came together...

We paid a high cost for victory. In a fight against Asteria a man almost died.

Relationships:

You told Shade all about your doom and the danger you’re in. 
You’d love to kiss Supernova before your doom comes. 

Influence:

Have: Supernova, Shade
Gave: Shadow, Skull

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 5, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Isabel, for her part, was still in her family home, but not for much longer. She's just finishing up on some chores and other duties, as someone makes her presence known far before entering the dooor, in the way of humming happily.

"Hi sis!" a cheerful voice cries out as she bursts through the door. "Whatcha doing?!"

Isabel pays her little heed and continues looking through reports. "Have you never heard of knocking, Clara? ... *sigh" nevermind. I am preparing for the festival tonight."

"Ohhhhh! The festival! Can I come tooooo?" Clara begged.

Isabel sighed. "Absolutely no way. I am going there for work."

----

And so, Clara joined Isabel for the day.

quote:

The Legacy
Name: Isabel Morrin
Woman, White, comfortable clothing, traditional Costume
Hero Name: Shade

Abilities:
shadow control, shadow portals, mind-clouding, shadow cloak stealth, shadow senses

Okay, so there's quite a lot of stuff I can do in dark places. I can teleport myself and others through the shadows, but teleporting others requires almost pitch black darkness - it's easier to teleport just myself due to my affinity for it.

In addition, I am unnaturally hard to see in the darkness - melding into it far more than one would think, to the point of basically being invisible at nighttime. I can also completely meld with a person's shadow, to hitch a ride and/or hide.

Similarly, I am just all around more powerful the more veiled in darkness I am - Faster, stronger, more perceptive. In general, I can feel movement through the shadows, making it possible to even feel sneak attacks from behind coming. In pitch black darkness, I am all but invincible. However, the opposite is also true - light, ANY light, mind you, not just sunlight, I'm not a vampire after all - weakens me. I feel weary quickly, and it rather quickly starts to feel like it's searing me. There is a reason I am always wearing a cloak and mask like I do - my weakness to light is the worst in my entire family.

Labels:
Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +0
Mundane +1

Moves:
Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.
Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):

Darkwalker (my big brother, Thomas Morrin) is still active and prominent in the city.
He's my older brother. He's quite protective of me and Clara, and he's the one who trained me, as well.

Anton Morrin is retired and quite judgmental.
That's my dad. He never really was into superheroics, partly because he just wasn't very strong - his connection to the darkness is weak enough that he isn't even harmed by light at all - but he's still got a bit of experience. I think he'd prefer for me to not get into superheroics at all, but... I just don't see it working out myself.

(my little sister, Clara Morrin) is the next possible member of your legacy.
She's my sister. She's... quite upbeat, usually. She's quite talented, but also a bit naive.

The Voice of Darkness is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.
This... thing, may look human, but it's absolutely not. The Voice of Darkness is everything we are, but up to eleven. It was the one that tempted Frederick of Morrin, the first one bearing it's mark, into accepting a dark pact, and immediately betrayed him. Due to its meddling, or family lost it's status as nobility back during the middle ages.

On the other hand... It is also the source of of powers. In a way, it'll also be a problem if it gets defeated... It's so very bothersome.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to
meddle with your life.

Moment of Truth:
This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

quote:

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships:

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with ______________.
You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence:
You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 3, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Freak +1, Danger 0, Savior -1, Superior +2, Mundane +1
Potential 0/5 | Conditions:

School's out, I have my mask on, and I'm hanging out with Shade. I'm supposed to go home right after school, so naturally I decide to hang out with someone from the Crew instead. I thought it'd just be me and Shade but seems like she brought her sister. But as long as she's cool with drinking it'll be fine.

I had a plan to get some refreshments - just have her hide in my shadow while I go into the nearby convenience store and get beer while I buy regular snacks. But she doesn't want to go with it. Well, I can change that.

"Really Shade?" I whisper into her ear. I don't know if her sister would be fine with it, but it'll be easier if we already have the beer when she finds out. "You don't want to have some fun this evening? Well, I guess if you just want to keep sulking in the shadows instead..."

@Skull: 2d6+3 Provoke Shade = (2+2)+3 = 7
If Shade doesn't go along with plan, she marks a condition

quote:

Skull, the Delinquent
(Real Name: Hayate Maki)

Look: Man, Asian, laughing eyes, casual clothing, cheap costume

Abilities:

Power negation

Teleportation

Labels:

Freak +1
Danger 0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves

I don’t care what you think!: Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.

Team? What team?: When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.

Criminal mind: When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke ____________?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

Moment of Truth

This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Advances

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Danger -1 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

Ever since I became totally a superhero basically, I turned my training regimen up from 'Olympic hopeful intense' to something approaching 'hellish.' It's only now I can do a number of squat thrusts that any sane person would consider unnecessary - spoiler they are all unnecessary - and not feel like my legs are going to wage a junta against the rest of my body in revolt. Mostly. Finally, mercifully, I get to the cool-down stretches. The kids' class at my dad's school - in Korean it's 'dojang' but the 'Jang Dojang' sounds like something you'd hear in a one-hit wonder from the 80's so it's just 'Jang Traditional Taekwondo' - already let out and a study hall that comes at the very end of the day means I pretty much have homework nonsense done before I even leave. The upside is there's lots of time for training!

And boy do I need training.

All my friends, well, super-friends, can do... a lot of stuff. Or they've been training for it like basically forever by pro heroes. Me, sure, I've got a power and it's rad but if I want to take down a bad guy other than phasing and letting himself charge through and brain himself on the wall - did it, just as fun as it sounds - I need to practice my hook kicks until my hips start cursing at me and basically keep like I was - well, no, am, I think - still training for the Olympics.

I remember carbs. I think they were nice.

Finally finishing everything with an exhale to push everything out, I'm done. At least for the day. And now it's Me Time. Which is mostly code for I Want To Do Superhero Stuff Because Why Would I Not Time. I hit Supernova's speed dial and can barely wait for her to pick up. My best friend is also a superhero it is meant to be is something I think pretty much several times a day.

quote:

Hero Name: Lynx
Look: Woman, Asian, pretty face, casual clothing, stylish costume
Abilities: Martial arts, phasing

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak -1
Savior +3
Superior 0
Mundane +2

Beacon Moves:
Straight. Up. Creepin’.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- what’s my best way in/out?
- what happened here recently?
- what here is worth grabbing?
- who or what here is not what they seem?
- whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.
Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Drives:
Punch someone you probably shouldn't
Help a teammate when they most need you
Pull off a ridiculous stunt
Make out with a teammate

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take
out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws
are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted
attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
Supernova is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to Skull before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates. (Supernova, The Shadow, Shade)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 4, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Danger +3 | Freak +1 | Savior -1 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None!

"Here you go. One peanut butter ice cream with extra sprinkles, just like you asked," I hand Lilly her ice cream, and dig into my own. I wasn't planning on bringing Lilly along with me, but when she heard that we were going to the fair tonight, she almost begged me to let her come along. I told her it'd be dangerous, but she didn't listen, and... well... I have a hard time saying no to her when she gives me that look. I'll just have to work extra hard to keep her safe tonight.

Somewhere along the way, we ran into Shadow- er, Vern, and we decided to let him tag along with us on our quest for ice cream. He's a nice enough guy, I guess, and him and Lilly seem to get along.

I'm not worried about tonight. Why would I be? I've dealt with much, much, much worse, including a rampaging, strong as hell ogre girl who can control gravity. How much worse can a guy who calls himself The Professor be? And seriously? The Professor? That's the villain name you're going with? Come on, dude.

Whatever. He shouldn't be a problem. We'll just kick his butt the moment he shows up, and that'll be that.

I take another bite out of my bubblegum ice cream, and that's when I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. Oh, it's from Hye-bin! I was planning on calling her to check if she wanted to join us, but it looks like she beat me to it. "Yo, Lynx!" I say to her over the phone, "What's up? Me, Lilly, and Vern are near the ice cream shop. Wanna join us?"

quote:

Hero Name: Supernova
Look: Woman, white, one inhuman hand, casual clothing, no costume
Abilities: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting

Labels:
Danger +3
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves:
❑ Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.
❑ In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
Love: Lynx
Rival: Dark Star
Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:
Lynx is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
Dark Star is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Danger -1 | Freak +1 | Savior +1 | Superior +2 | Mundane 0

"Tell her about the new flavour." Vern pitches in, currently munching on a waffle bowl full of the aforementioned. It's a bright green, with bits of nut in it. "They finally got pistachio. I have been craving this forever." Really, he'd been craving anything with sugar. Much like Hye-bin, Vern had also been on a diet and exercise regimen of late best described as 'cruel and unusual punishment'. Lacey didn't believe in cheat days. She did believe in windsprints, weights, gymnastics, and teaching him Pentjak Silat by beating it into him in the practice room. Luckily, Vern managed to convince her to let him have the day to himself, no restrictions. Mostly because if he had another day of the current regime, he'd be in no shape to move tonight, let alone fight crime.

Ice cream is manna from heaven. "Mm, Helen, you have to try this. Seriously. It is every single one of the bee's knees. It's the entire hive's knees."

No, compared to daily training, crime-fighting is a vacation.

quote:

Hero Name: The Shadow
Real Name: Lavernius Hadrian Bishop, preferred name Vern, or Bishop.
Playbook: Protege
Look: Vern is a white male, standing a little shorter than most boys his age. He has an unassuming figure with dark hair and glasses, though he tends to dress sharply, usually in fashionable or even bespoke apparel, favouring muted tones. His costume resembles his mentor's, which is a lot of black and grey on black. The Shadow also includes a special mask under his cowl and a toolbelt with a number of gadgets for any occasion.

Powers
Own: Weapons and gadgets
Shared: Stealth
Mentor: Detective Skills

Labels
Freak: +1
Danger: -1
Saviour: +1
Superior: +2
Mundane: 0

Mentor: Lacey Humber, alias Umbra

Embodies: Superior
Denies: Saviour
Resources: A vehicle, False identities, A hidden base

Moves
Be mindful of your surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Venting frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Fireside chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tardzilla posted:

I take another bite out of my bubblegum ice cream, and that's when I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. Oh, it's from Hye-bin! I was planning on calling her to check if she wanted to join us, but it looks like she beat me to it. "Yo, Lynx!" I say to her over the phone, "What's up? Me, Lilly, and Vern are near the ice cream shop. Wanna join us?"

"Nnnnnngh." Those on Helena's end could almost hear my mouth water so much there was a flood warning in effect. "That's... the sweet cold dairy stuff, right? I... dimly recall it." Resist, Hye-bin, resist. Oh, wait, that reminds me. Don't use my codename over the phone, dummy! We still need to keep things kinda low-key at least on my end. All I need is some dumb supervill busting in here like he's doing a dojo invasion out of some old martial arts flick, except he has like buzzsaw hands or something." I settle down. I'm not really mad at Helena. I can't really stay mad at her even if it gets to that.

"Vern's there, too? Sweet. Let me lock up here and I'll be down in two shakes." Then I have to ask, and I know my voice sounds eager but I can't help it. "Is there anything... you know... going on?"

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 4, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"...Huh?" I scratch my head, a little confused by Hye-bin's question, "...No, there's nothing going on, I think. We're just having ice cream. Should there be something going on?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Oh, uh, no... I just thought-" Hoped. "-maybe there might be something... happening or... you know... eh, never mind. I'll be right over." It's not far on my batt - er, well-loved - little Suzuki. And I thought my biggest challenge would be to get my parents to let me have a motorcycle. Never thought about having the 'Mom, Dad, I wanna be a superhero' talk.

"Hey, Lil'!" I high-five Helena's younger sib. She's a cool kid. Fist-bumps for Helena and Vern. "Oooh. So that's the 'iced cream' you guys speak of." I don't lick my lips. Barely. The rest of the Crew make fun of me for thinking any sort of sugar will not-natural sugar will immediately any and all of my crime-fighting abilities for all eternity, but to be fair to me, they don't know it won't. They just assume.

Still. Man.

"...gimme a lick of yours, Helena."

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

"Hye-bin, thank goodness you're here!" Vern declares dramatically mid-fistbump. "The delectable dastard Dr. Dairy has devised to deal death by deliciousness, and only you have the means by which to defeat him! Quick, grab a spoon and get a double-scoop!" He grins broadly. "And if Lacey asks, this is totally healthy. I mean, pistachios are nuts, nuts are protein, healthy. Healthy."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Danger -1 | Freak +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +1

"I already told you, after what happened--" Shade replied, quietly, before freezing up for a moment

"You don't want to have some fun this evening? Well, I guess if you just want to keep sulking in the shadows instead..."

The later part of the sentence truly hit home, and Shade's emotions turmoiled.

Skull's right... what he's doing is wrong, but he's right. She shouldn't do this, but can she really just sulk forever?

"... kch. Fine."

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Well just skating around at the Fair was fun and all, but the parking attendant drew the line when Kenny started grinding on the concrete wheel stops. Get out of here, destroying property, I'll call the police. Blah blah, so on and so forth. Kenny heard it all the time. Way to be uptight. Skating's not a crime, and it said as much on the patch stitched to his backpack, but he was getting thirsty now, so might as well not make the rent-a-cop blow a gasket.

Kenny skated down the street to the corner store with his heart set on a big Arizona tea when he saw Shade and Skull hanging out front. "Yo. Sup dudes?" He ground his wheels to a stop with a little power slide then stomped his board up into his hand. "What are you two doing?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I grin. "Great. Hop in my shadow, and I'll -"

I get interrupted by Dark Star showing up. I look at him for a moment, but it occurs to me how helpful this can be.

"Hey Dark Star. We're just getting some stuff for later on. Why don't you hang out with Clara while we're inside?" Hopefully he gets the hint.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I return Hye-bin's fist-bump with one of my own, and say, "Yep. It's totally healthy. And delicious. Here, give it a taste," I hold out my ice cream so she can take a lick of it, "So, The Professor, huh? Either of you think he's going to be a problem? Personally, I'm having a hard time taking someone who calls himself "The Professor" seriously."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Oh. Oh, wow. That's... that's good." Staggering back, I use Vern's shoulder to story myself, chewing my lower lip and staring into an uncaring sky. "Why have you forsaken me, oh sugar?" I pound my fist against my chest, for that is where I feel it most - in the heart. And then the bit's over and I'm back to normal. "Oh, right, The Professor." I make sure to capitalize the 'T' in 'The.' That's important.

"It could be... interesting, I guess," I say slowly. Without realizing it I'm bouncing up and down slightly on the balls of my feet. "Like... maybe he - or she, or they - could be a professor of, like, cloning and it's going all cloned saber-tooth tigers... oh, and their secondary degree is in robotics, so they'll be cyborg clones." My eyes light up. "Oh, man, Hel! This could be just like that episode of Heart Burst where Dark Gorgon combined a computer with those zoo animals!"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

"Easy there." Vern places a hand on the small of Hye-bin's back to steady the poor girl. "Jeez, I can't wait until tonight when we try and get you to body a funnel cake." A grin. She starts talking about some anime Vern's never seen and he blinks. Nope, not his department. Maybe he should watch more anime. Might give him some cool ideas for gadgets, past what comics give him. "I mean, The Professor can't be any worse than Mr. Hegeberg." he says cheekily, referencing their school's viciously boring History and Civics teacher.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Danger +2 | Freak +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane 0
Potential 0/5 | Doom 0/5 | Conditons: None

Ever the slacker on the look out for a good time, Kenny had a pretty good idea about that Skull and Shade were getting up to. "Ya, sure thing."

He had met Clara a few times while he was getting to know Izzy. It was funny to see how they were such polar opposites. Then again, that seemed to be how things went in The Crew. Lynx, Shade, and he all had siblings that were completely different sides of the coin than they were.

While Team Beer went into the store to gain their ill-gotten refreshments, Kenny chatted with Clara and tried to teach her how to do a plain ol' ollie on his skateboard.

"Ok, now balance. Back foot on the tail, front toes on the center of the board. Now, at the same time lean back on the tail, slide your toe up towards the nose, and jump."

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 6, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"How can somebody make the Battle of Therm... Thera..." My face scrunches. I'm not built to pronounce Greek. "That battle from 300 seem boring? Isn't AP History supposed to, I dunno, engage our tender young minds or whatever?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I just give Hye-bin A Look, and quietly say to her, "Ixnay on the anime talk." Don't get me wrong, it's a great episode, and I'd love to talk about it with her, but I've got an image to maintain here! I'm fine with Hye-bin knowing, since she's my bff and all, but I definitely don't want the others to find out about my (very) extensive anime collection. I don't want them thinking I'm some kind of nerd!

"Tell me about it. His classes are all one giant snooze-fests," I actually really like his classes, but I can't let them know that, "Anyways, looks like we've got a few hours to kill before the fair opens up," I ruffle Lilly's hair a little, "Did you know Lilly's never been to a fair before? I know she's really looking forward to it."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I wait for Shade to hop in my shadow, and then enter the store. As the clerk looks up, I wave and say "Just a regular hero, coming in for some refreshments!" I start picking up some snacks, while making sure my shadow is on the fridge so Shade can open it and take the beer.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

"Oh, you're in for a treat, Lilly. Fried food that only a madman ever thought to fry in the first place, rigged games for obscenely-large stuffed toys, and rides built in half a day by drunk carnies that only theoretically pass safety inspections. It's the best." Vern grins broadly. "I wasn't kidding about that funnel cake though, Hye-bin. I wanna see that."

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 7, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Helena's look only makes me roll my eyes. "It's way more fun if you just own it, Hel'," I grin, throwing an arm around her shoulders. Vern gets a wagging finger. "That's a hard pass on the fried foods though - chalk it up to a traumatic encounter with a corndog on the boardwalk when I was younger. However, I am all about trying to beat a rigged game to win knock-off Pikachu half my size."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I can't believe I'm doing this... Shade thought to herself as she lurked in Skull's shadow...

Best to just get it over with and forget about it.

Slipping the shadow through the fridge, she briefly materializes her hands to drag a few bottles in the back down into Skull's Shadow. Being able to store things in one's shadow was surprisingly convenient.

Poking Skull in the back to signal the job being done, Shade simply waits.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Team No IDs seems to have their plan go off without a hitch! The sleepy-looking dude behind the counter makes no notice of your superpowered snatching, instead just informing Skull of the price of his actual purchases. Meanwhile, Clara does not seem to have the hang of skateboarding whatsoever, consistently falling off... and "bursting" into a cloud of shadows every time she hits the pavement. Judging from how she quickly reforms into herself without a scratch on her, it seems to be some sort of defensive technique.

As Shade and Skull leave the store, Clara seems to get a bit suspicious. "You guys were in there for an awful long time! Did that cashier give you trouble or something?"

Meanwhile, Team Sugar Rush have just about finished their respective frozen treats! Lilly gently, geeeeently tugs on Supernova's sleeve. "Um... h-hey, miss Helen? I'm already really happy with the ice cream but... w-we're still going to the fair, right?" She asks, tone slightly hopeful.

The sun does seem to be dipping down at this point, the sky beginning to glow a soft orange, the warm air cooling down with less sunlight to heat it. You guys probably have a little while left altogether, if there are any last minute preparations that need making.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shade looked at her sister with the usual poker face. Being as gloomy as she was, she was really good at using her usual expression and tone as a poker face.

"There was a line." she replied, matter of factly. "Do you want some snacks too?"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Oh, Lilly is just adorable. Vern's heart melts a little at the sheer 'Aww' factor. "Aaaaaactually, we better start heading over there sharpish." he mentions, looking at the setting sun. Getting late. "Gotta... beat the lines, y'know? Lines at fairs are insane."

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Shade and Skull popped out of the corner store before Clara made any meaningful progress towards becoming the next Tony Hawk. That was just fine by him though. The sun was getting low now and the fair would be starting soon. It was probably time to get there and be on the lookout for The Professor.

"Looks like it's 'bout that time. Let's take our refreshments and go get some tickets for the rides. ya?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"Yeah don't worry." I open the bag and show Clara the snacks inside. "Anything you want?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Course we will!" I tell Lilly, with a reassuring smile. "Good idea, Vern. Let's meet up with the rest of the group, and head there now."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Helena's right," I pat Lilly on the head. "Who do you think I'm going to try and win a giant knockoff Pikachu for, anyway?" There was a pause. "I'm more of Blastoise girl."

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
TEAM No IDs apparently manages to assuage Clara's skepticism through that most ancient of methods, bribing her with snacks. She snatches up a bag of "Cheez-o's" with barely restrained glee. "Well, I mean, yeah. Probably fine! We should just go..." your first challenge has been conquered! Fancy that.

TEAM Sugar Rush finds that it can't quite surmount the obstacle of Lynx's garbage taste, but hit the road regardless. Both roads lead, as it is, to the fair!

The fair itself is absolutely in FULL SWING, everyone having the time of their lives! Hideously rigged games are played, rides that only barely pass inspection are ridden, and people eat hideously unhealthy food that they can only morally accept eating because "it's the fair"! You all got in without much trouble outside of a long line, and preliminary investigation suggests that The Professor, wherever they may be, hasn't made an appearance. All of you have met up... along with Clara and Lilly. Clara can obviously tell something's up, while Lilly seems to be too engaged in gazing longingly at a particularly large plush of what appears to be Bootleg Monokuma at a nearby strength-tester to notice the undercurrent of anxiety in the air.

You should probably figure out a game-plan, even if it's just some vague idea of what to do when poo poo hits the fan. You could also likely investigate the fairgrounds themselves, though finding a way to do that without getting anyone too suspicious may prove a challenge.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

The fair was fun. Sure everything there was either cheap, broken, or bad for you but it was also nostalgic. It all reminded him of going on the tea cups with his mom and eating funnel cake until he was sick. Real red-blooded American poo poo. The Crew had a mission this time, but that didn't mean they couldn't have a good time. Incidentally, he saw an opportunity to do one of his favorite things: annoy Helen.

They should probably decide on a buddy system to go look for The Professor, set up a meeting place that was easy to find (like by the Ferris wheel), and figure out a plan to evacuate all of the civilians if things went sideways, but that was Vern's gig. Instead Kenny went over to the strength-tester to win the giant plushy for Lily before Helen could. Take that, hero complex. He put down his soda cup full of beer, a tried and true teenage drinking trick, and stepped up to the giant wooden mallet. "You sure you don't want the kids hammer?" teased the carny from behind his phone screen. Har har. Sure, he was more wiry than buff and he still hadn't got that final growth spurt to reach six feet tall, but as the Crew knew, he was stronger than he looked.

The stick that the carny had placed hidden in the track to prevent anybody from winning the grand prize had absolutely no chance. Kenny made sure not to put this whole back into it, he didn't want to turn the whole thing into rubble, but one mighty whack was all it took to elicit a satisfying DING! much to the carny's annoyance. Ah, feels like victory. Kenny looked back over his shoulder smuggly and pointed at the row of knockoff plushies. "What do you think Lily? Which one do you want?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Hello again." Shade greets her teammates, very enthusiastically. "Not a fan of crowds like this."

Shade glances at the mass of people trying to push past them currently, with a somewhat weary expression. "If nobody minds, I'm going to go lurk in a corner."

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

The fair holds a weird nostalgia for Vern. Not that nostalgia in a fair is weird, but there's a mixture of feelings here. He'd done a lot of begging and stealing in fairs in times that felt so long ago now. He remembered sneaking onto rides... and nearly dying a few times for his trouble when he was almost too late and some restraint didn't lock or a bit moved and nearly took his head off. Good times? Something like that. By the time Izzy and Team No ID shows, Vern has already scored himself a funnel cake. With blueberry! It's... Not as great as he remembers. Too sweet. Too greasy. drat Lacey and her devil ways! She's somehow ruined bad food! "Nope!" he declares to Izzy, putting an arm around her shoulders and pulling her in for a side-hug. "If I gotta be around all these randos, so do you. Here, help me finish this funnel cake."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I take a beer and hide it in my jacket when we arrive at the fair. Most of them are busy getting prizes from the games and Shade is being Shade (although I think Vern is working on fixing that) so I take a ride on the Ferris wheel and pull out the beer once I'm in the air. As I open the cap, I keep an eye out on the grounds below to see if anything sticks out.

@Skull: 2d6+2 Asses The Situation = (4+1)+2 = 7
What here is the biggest threat?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"OH MY GOD!" I snarl as the baseball bounces off what must be improbably heavy bottles. "They're glued together, right? They have to be." I''m polite enough that I grumble that mostly to myself and not to the hardworking carny manning the stall. "Ah this rate I should just eat one of those corndogs and a deep-fried Twinkie and then go somewhere to die. This is embarrassing for what is, basically, a superhero."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Shade looks at the funnel cake, then back at Vern, then back at the funnel cake. "... alright."

She takes a bite, and immediately recoils. "This funnel cake is a crime."

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

"Oh thank God it's not just me." Vern sighs deeply, relieved. "I thought Lacey had done some kind of horrible science to me to make me hate greasy sugary foods or something. I was scared! It was scary!" He watches Hye-bin bounce the basketball off the bottles for the third time now. Poor girl. The prideful ones are always preyed upon. "We could let Helen do it. After she blows out the back wall with a single throw through those stupid bottles, we'll see the nails."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Here, lemme handle it," I pick up one of the baseballs, tossing it up and catching it again in my hand, "See, Hye-bin, there's actually a trick to these things. Let me show you how it's done," I say to her, with a confident smirk. Gripping the ball tightly now, I get myself into a wind-up position, getting myself ready to pitch the ball, and then I toss the ball, sending it flying like a bullet at the bottles, and then...

*CRASH!*

I shatter the bottles, but that isn't the only thing I broke. I might've also broken the stand. And the stands behind it. And everything else behind those stands. And some few carts, and a few walls, too. I... might've forgotten to watch my own strength.

"...Er..." My eyes dart nervously around, as my face goes slightly red from embarrassment, "...Oops?"

• Locked thread