Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Skull, as you gaze down upon the fairgrounds, it initially only strikes you as... oddly mundane. There's rides, games, a small stage for performances... someone even brought some small petting zoo-

You only notice the cage of crocodiles on your second glance. Nobody's allowed to touch them, and you can see a sign that apparently indicates such... but your finely honed super-senses and basic common sense indicate that something may well be up there...

Everyone else! You're just enjoying your time being teenagers who totally aren't there to stop a supervillain, no sir! As Darkstar kicks the Strength Tester's teeth in, Lilly lets out a cheer and points to Bootleg Monokuma. "That one!" She pauses. "Um, I mean, if you're alright with that..."

As the game attendant hands over the inexplicably purple-and-green version of a noted murderous robot, you all hear the resounding CRASH of Supernova getting up to her usual business.

On the bright side, only the bottle game is irreversably ruined. All the other stands just have progressively smaller holes in them. And nobody's hurt! AND one of the boxes of garbage candy that serve as prizes are intact!

You hear the "click" of at least one phone camera going off in the crowd. Maybe you should just ask for your box of Laffy Taffy that's only Banana for some reason and go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Danger -1 | Freak +1 | Savior +1 | Superior +2 | Mundane 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

"Aaaaaaaand that's my cue to be not-here." Vern says with a grin and a cough. "I may or may not be on my third strike with the cops. Aheh." And with that, he books it away while everyone is distracted by the carnage, ducking into an unattended booth. Yeah, it might just be time to change gears... Vern suits up, and becomes... The Shadow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Danger -1 | Freak -1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane +2

On the outside, I am as serene as the Buddha. On the inside?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Think fast. No, faster.

"OH MY GOD! Is everybody okay?" Thinking faster would be good, Hye-bin, we talked about this. "This place must seriously not be up to code!" I make a big show of checking Helena for getting hit by flying shrapnel, even if she could probably take an RPG to the face and just get dirty. "This place is super flimsy! I can't believe it." Something peeks out amongst the, well, debris. "Oh... I get it. Did you forget to use the nails where they're supposed to go? Because all I see is them poking up to hold the bottles down. Too cheap for proper building materials OR for honest games, is that how it is?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Danger -1 | Freak +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +1

Shade, too, has disappeared during the distraction, having reappeared in some empty corner of the place. She trusted her teammates to be able to escape the scene on the own, and instead focused on looking for their target. It was, after all, getting time for their apperance...

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Danger +2 | Freak +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane 0
Potential 0/5 | Doom 0/5 | Conditons: None

Well, Helen certainly knew how to escalate a situation, and Hye-bin was right there behind her. The Master Motivator was looking to solve all the crimes at this fair, even the rigged games! Kenny heard the fake shutter-click of a cellphone and knew that if they had any cover left it was most certainly blown. He went so far as to flip his hood up over his head and start making tracks away from the destruction. "Whelp, nothing to see here. Come on gang, lots to do..."

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 1, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Freak +1, Danger 0, Savior -1, Superior +2, Mundane +1
Potential 0/5 | Conditions:

I look at the crocodile cage, only distracted when Supernova obliterates a bunch of stands and some other property. I wave to her, although I don't know if she notices it or is just too busy trying to reduce the attention that just got. I wait until the Ferris wheel stops, and hop off. I head to the crocodile cage and pretend like I'm looking at them. They're mostly just sitting there for now, but I keep an eye out in case something happens. I'm not sure if I should alert the rest of the group - might tip off whoever's planning to cause trouble here. Ah, they can come over if they notice and if they need help I can just teleport to them if need be.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Danger +3 | Freak +1 | Savior -1 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None!

"Uh, y-yea!" Unlike Hye-bin, who's acting calm about this, I'm visibly panicking right now, "C-cheap building material! That's it! Wow, they must've really skimped on the building budget for this place, huh!? Ha ha ha ha ha!" I grab Hye-bin by the arm, making sure I don't accidentally crush it, "Come on. We should go somewhere that isn't falling apart, like, uh, somewhere oooovvvvvvveeeeeeeeerrrr... there!" I run into a random direction, pulling Hye-bin along with me. Wow, Helene. Way to act like a doofus in front of your best friend.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

The Shadow, now properly suited up, pulls his hood over his head and engages his mask. The familiar feeling of the black face-hugging device is comforting, in its own way. A few well-placed grapples later, and he's sitting atop the House of Mirrors, in a shadow of one of the signs. GPS tracking of his allies is working, that's good... What's Skull doing all the way over there? Shadow tries to adjust his NV to pick the teleporter up, but all the local lights are making it hard to make anything out. He flicks through a few vision modes. IR is too short range and confusing, backscatter has a similar problem... He sends out an ultrasound ping, but that gets too diffused by the time it gets over to the cage. Shadow mutters something decidedly unprofessional, then starts a group call with the team. Until he can actually work out a good long-range comm situation, phones work well enough.

"Hey guys. If P's gonna make his move, it's gonna be soon. Skull, what'cha got over there?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"In fact there's a risk that you'll be hearing from an attorney, and I mean one that's on a lot of park benchGAH-" I am gently but firmly (and quickly) dragged away. Once we arrive in front of what appears to be the hall of mirrors, I have the presence of mind to phase myself and Helena through a couple of walls until we're behind it. "Guh. I don't look like that, right?" I mutter as we past the 'short 'n dumpy' mirror. As we head out behind the building, I pull out my smartphone to answer the group call. "Hey, guys! So, um, good-bad situation. Helena and I might have accidentally broken the entire bottle game entirely by accident but hey it might draw the normies' attention to that and maybe help us find Dr. Professor easier! So, bright side!" I keep a comforting hand on Helena's shoulder. Titanic might can be a real b sometimes.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Potential 0/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditons: None

When his phone rang, Kenny sat down at a cafeteria-style bench table near the avenue of fried food stands. He unwrapped his headphones and put in the ear bud with the microphone attached, letting the other one dangle down the front of his hoodie. "Ya, everybody knows we're here now for sure," he agreed with Hye-bin. "It might have shook Dr. P loose though. Hold on, I have an idea." Well, Dark Star hold him to grow its power and save the world. He might as well get started. Kenny took a deep breath and opened his mind, channeling the alien power inside of him through his mortal senses. For a moment he felt cold, like somebody had just poured ice water directly into his brain, and then everything rushed away from him.

His perception drifted around him impossibly, giving him a bird's eye view of the fairgrounds from a thousand different angles, each from one of the many flickering stars in the sky. Any passerby just saw a kid staring at his phone, like they are want to do, but under his hood and expertly sculpted bangs Kenny's eyes were glassy and interstellar black sprayed with the light of the cosmos. Every movement, every voice, every deep fried Snickers bar: all of the sensations of the fair rushed through him and into Dark Star's uncanny comprehension.

"Come out, come out wherever you are..."

Using Infinite Powers to steal Unnatural Senses from the Janus
@Dark Star: 2d6+1 Extend your Senses = (3+3)+1 = 7

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"Oh hey Shadow. I looked around and something felt off here. So I decided to check it out. By the way Supernova, cool throw. They'll probably be talking about that one for a while."

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

"On my way." Shadow grapples his way towards Skull, using various lampposts and tall rides to treat the ground like lava and stay mostly in shadows. People are always too absorbed in themselves to look up. It's helpful. By the time he's close to the alligator cages, he's had plenty of time to scour the park with various vision tools, mostly employing backscatter X-Ray to check for anything dangerous. He gives the gators a once-over as well. Perching on a lamppost overlooking the cage, Shadow discreetly knocks the light out before giving the gators a once-over in IR, followed by backscatter. "What kind of a fair keeps gators?" he wonders aloud at Skull, keeping an eye on the area.

How can we best end this quickly?
What here is in the greatest danger?
What here can I use to locate the Professor?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
@Lynx and Supernova: Well, good news and bad news! Bad news, you're reasonably certain you heard murmurs about "police" as you all wandered off. Good news, lots of people ARE shuffling over to check out the destruction, which hopefully interferes with The Professor's plan. You hope.

@Skull and Shadow: Well, those are some good questions! The best way to end this quickly is likely to try and catch him before he's ready. It's obvious whatever plan he's got is pretty big and elaborate.

The greatest danger? Well, for some reason, your scanning devices are going nuts over a ride called "El Diablo". It's a decently-sized rollercoaster, mainly notable for the big statue of a cartoon devil beside it.

As for locating The Professor? You only now notice something on the ground, a small lump of fabric. You pick it up to discover... a puppet's arm, clutching a gnarled wooden club longer than it is.

@Dark Star: As Dark Star spreads his consciousness far and wide, he can't help but notice more of these pieces. Torn up bits and pieces of puppets, scattered seemingly at random...

@Shade: From your lurking place in the darkness, you can't help but notice the actual note upon the crocodile cage. It depicts two of the downright ugliest creatures you've ever seen, apparently meant to be a man and a woman.

"That's Not The Way You Do It! This cage is not part of the petting zoo! J&P Entertainment is simply transporting these animals on behalf of the Tobias Memorial Wildlife Preserve, and politely asks not to interact with them! J&P Entertainment claims no responsibility for injuries caused by ignoring this warning!"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

"Puppets..." Shadow mutters, looking at the detached arm. "Uh, guys? Keep an eye out for, and I wish I was making this up, puppets. I got ten bucks on 'killer marionette army'. Meantime, anyone near the El Diablo?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Danger -1 | Freak +1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +1

Shade makes note of the cage. Why is this here...? This made little sense. Why would crocodiles be transported to an amusement park?

She took some time looking the cage over, something did not feel right here.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Kenny wasn't sure what he was looking for until Shadow came in over his ear bud. "Puppets?" That's ridiculous. They were definitely NOT about to fight an army of marionettes. Kenny focused anyway, laughing at the idea of it until he spotted a tiny cloth leg near the whirlygig, then a button eye by a trash can, and a little plastic hat under his own table. "Oh come on, this is..." Definitely a marionette army. "Yeah dudes, confirm on the puppets. I'm seeing creepy little arms and legs all over the place."

He blinked away the stars and stood up into the press of people, heading towards a long winding line. "I'm on my way to El Diablo now. You better not be leading me into a puppet ambush."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"Puppets? I guess you could say that's unique. You could also say that's really stupid." I take out my bat. "Anyone spot him?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"...puppets?" I know my face went a little pale. "Shadow, can I get a confirmation on the puppet thing because that is entirely not my jam." I exhale a breath and try some centering stuff that unfortunately I never actually bothered to learn all the way through because it was about being still and therefore super boring. "And, oh, more kinda bad news while Hel' and I made our tidy exit-" Cough. "-I did hear the word 'cops' said a couple of times so maybe it'll force the Prof out? Ha ha. Yeah." I sigh slightly.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Danger +3 | Freak +1 | Savior -1 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None!

Puppets. Great. Of all the things he might've thrown at us, it had to be killer puppets. Well, at this point, I'd rather deal with that then the police. I'll just smash those marionettes up, and make sure my friends and Lilly stay safe!

...Actually, where is Lilly, anyways? "Hey, uh, guys? Has anyone seen Lilly around?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

poo poo. So much for them being the responsible ones. "I thought she was with you? What about Clara?" Well thankfully it was the age of technology and every five year old had an iPhone. "Maybe try to get them on the group call? I'll keep an eye out."

• Locked thread