Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I am TOTALLY tempted to throw it on my buick to test it out to see if it works, but the overwhelming problem is that I need to procure 6 working carbs then play the find 12 matching jets for said carbs, however I could just go and throw down $3000 on some brand new carbs from Stromberg..... also there's the fact that the carbs that came with it are nothing more than cores aka junk- in short, I don't think this thing will run on a stock engine setup - Howard made speed parts, but was more known for his cam grinds, which would have more than likely accompanied this silly setup. luckily after Howard Johansen died, the company, along with its tooling, inventory, blanks and cores were sold to someone I actually know - it is still a somewhat functioning business, however its not every day some doofus comes looking for a 3.5' long cam for a ancient motor. I really need to head out there and have a talk with him about this - another guy I know actually is the current record holder for straight 8 buick land speed at El Mirage - that story deserves a separate post, but I've been talking with him trying to decode what the hell we have here, how many were made, when they were made and what else might exist from these nuts that were racing these cars. Legend has it that there is also a dual quad version of this intake, as well as a 4 carb setup for 4 bolt 2 barrel carbs and some kind of cast header- here are the 4 bolt 2bbl in question;

on the right is a Holley 94 which is the common flathead carb that came after the famous 97 (and 81) and the left is a stock Carter Aerotype that were found stock on buicks.

There are some pretty active facebook groups that revolve around buicks of the straight 8 era, there is another guy that is currently building a car that features one of these intakes, I actually bought it from him, because he recently found a second one that is in better shape - at some point someone milled the howard logo off of mine although its still somewhat visible:

the other guy that has one of these also has a single block off plate that also says Howard on it, which we will probably copy at some point. He's really making a bid to have his car running with this manifold, he's also found someone to grind him a cam - so I'm kinda waiting to see how he fairs before diving in to this. he's become a friend and as wild as he is, he's really dumping cash and time in to the project and I'm investing time in to getting the story of these silly rear end things straight.

There's really a handful of people that care about these things, so trading these kinds of things really are like "keeping it in the family" - I'll say I paid less than 1000 for this, and at least 150 of that was spent shipping it safely.

I often think about making reproductions of this kind of stuff, or other speed parts or accessories I have for vintage cars, but really the market of people is so small, it would kinda be fruitless - I learn or see something new about this crap that I had no idea about on a daily basis.. and of course.. there are things that follow me home... in addition to this manifold, that I never thought existed.

But!!! there is video proof of one of these things running - see the link I posted before - and my land speed buddy knew the guy in the video, but has lost track of him over the many years and claims that the guys running that particular car were "quite a group of jokers" - my goal would be to find him and speak to him about these things

For now I'm just going to set up a little photo booth and take some nice photos of this to document its insanity then figure out how to best display it in the garage because this poo poo is a bit overwhelming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

boxen posted:

I mean, you gotta test and make sure it works, right?

Right?!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I will wait patiently for however long it takes to get that in working order, just so I can hear the induction noise it will make.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

one of them being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DS6wIhOsZ4

in a 1947 buick going over 160mph

I am severely disappointed in the lack of "pure sound" in this video.
Straight-eights are neat. Dad had a '48, I think it was, in a collection of cars he bought from an estate, but he resold it without getting it running. I really wanted to keep the Lincoln Zephyr with the flathead V12, too.
I did get to see the basketcase Ford Model TT truck after it was restored by the buyer, which was cool. The only thing left from that collection is the 455 from the '7x Electra 225, and the 500 Cad from a Sedan Deville, I think.
It took us days to haul all those cars and parts home. And it was before dad got an electric winch on the trailer, so guess who was cranking the mechanical winch (I was like 16-17)?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What does it mean to be 6x2? The six part I get...

Also what would be the purpose of grinding off the name?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

What does it mean to be 6x2? The six part I get...

Also what would be the purpose of grinding off the name?

6x 2 barrel carbs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

6x 2 barrel carbs.

Ahhhhh, since there was the one throttle plate I thought those were single barrel carbs. I see now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The fast guy with the straight 8... It didn't happen to be in a 240sx did it?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

The fast guy with the straight 8... It didn't happen to be in a 240sx did it?

no, but I know about that guy - my friends car is this

you're thinking of this insanity:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/08/car_feature_gt_gt_the_world_s_fastest_s13/

Darchangel posted:

I am severely disappointed in the lack of "pure sound" in this video.
Lincoln Zephyr with the flathead V12

The video I made from a news cast that also had no sound - just figured it'd be better to put a fun song over it rather than the stereotypical 90's newscaster blab

so this zephyr... tell me more...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

The video I made from a news cast that also had no sound - just figured it'd be better to put a fun song over it rather than the stereotypical 90's newscaster blab

Fair.

quote:

so this zephyr... tell me more...

Dad bought the contents of an old guy's shop and the cars in and around from his estate. Off the top of my head, there was the '70-ish Caddy, SDV, the '70-ish Electra, the TT, a '56 Buick Special, the Zephyr, the Buick with the straight-8, and a Metro delivery van (full of alternators and starters.) I think that was all. I don't remember what all parts and junk there was, but there were two spare Lincoln V-12s as I recall.
An important detail is that this was back when I was in high school , which was, uh, 34-35 years ago. I have no idea who he sold it to, or where it went. It was likely sold via his spot at the Pate Swap Meet one year. It was a dark blue lacquer, what was left, which actually polished up when I tried it! It had hydraulic power windows. Automatic trans.
I really liked that car, and I hope it was either restored or hot rodded, as long as it was made to drive again.

And the more I think about it, the more I think the car with the straight-8 was a Pontiac, not a Buick, darn it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

no, but I know about that guy - my friends car is this

you're thinking of this insanity:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/08/car_feature_gt_gt_the_world_s_fastest_s13/

Got it in one. When you said land speed straight 8 I thought of that thing. Was gonna laugh if the world was that small.

They brought it to a shop used to work at to dyno tune it. Iirc it had a mechanical fuel injection setup they were trying to get working. It blew up, but man it made a sound before it did.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Still collecting info on the crazy manifold - Got some info that the original maker of this insane manifold has some living family members that worked with him back when - I have a call in with his brother and I'm waiting to hear back -

I'm waiting on parts for the model a, planning a garage refurb and trying to tackle small side jobs, so in my downtime I decided it was time to tackle the nagging problems of the wagon - first the carb was RnR'd and its running great, so I decided to tackle a long nagging problem of a leaking power steering pump

Pretty much everything on this car has never ever been replaced or even touched, there is oil, dirt and grime caked on EVERYTHING - this pump has been leaking for a long time. the gunk was so thick I couldn't even see the bolts that held the bracket on, and when I did find them, they were whisper tight - as are most bolts I touch on this thing

look at that valley cover and the front of the head... there is actually paint underneath that..

the culp:

I really hate this kind of work, but I LOVE fresh assembly of parts - I always doubt myself when it comes to this kind of stuff, but at this point I had no choice - few shops will touch this kind of stuff, and the ones that do want a fortune, its really not how it used to be, so I said gently caress it and ordered a kit for it. One of the best things about these cars is the Buick shop manuals - and they are better than most other makes of the same era - these are very detailed and leave nothing to chance

I was too stressed out by this to take pictures of the innards, but this is after getting the pump itself back together and most of the parts cleaned and painted.

I've been using this "appliance enamel" paint lately, and I love this stuff, tough as nails.

decided to pull some other easy parts off to get a refresh like these spark plug covers and the valve covers - they will be getting these fancy decals next.

finished:

I have the valve covers at the sandblasters so as soon as thats back, its paint, decal and reassemble time

in the meantime someone had the nerve to try and throw this awesome 20s white porcelain diner stool out - suckers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Power steering leaks are awful. I'm sure I'll be finding pockets of caked on grime from my C10's leaky steering gear for the rest of my life, and it's been fixed far longer than it was leaking for.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Man I love that restoration. Is the lettering cast into the lid and painted, or is it vinyl? If vinyl did you do it and what font is that?

Also, I'm not familiar with the colloquialism "whisper tight" and Google wasn't helpful. Does that mean very tight or barely tight? I'd guess the former.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Man I love that restoration. Is the lettering cast into the lid and painted, or is it vinyl? If vinyl did you do it and what font is that?

Also, I'm not familiar with the colloquialism "whisper tight" and Google wasn't helpful. Does that mean very tight or barely tight? I'd guess the former.

I've heard it hear and there, I think it may be a cali thing? Dunno. Anyways, I've heard it in relation to the latter, basically finger tight.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ugh I hear you on power steering - on the '66 Pontiac, the pumps can be had no problem, but I had one where the integrated tank had a bad weld at the filler neck that took about six months to find. I now have 4-5 pump units, and a couple of rebuild kits. Someday...

The "ugh' was for the Saginaw box. It developed a vicious leak at the Pitman arm right as I was dropping it off at body shop #1 to have work done before sending it off to Maaco. I tried a trick that worked once before, to dislodge the lower output seal & washer: run the engine & turn the wheel over hard to one stop & hold it - the pressure spike blows the seal & washer clean out.

Didn't work this time. I had to pull the box. I was able to replace the lower seal with difficulty...and then, jiggled the pivot arm and caused a ball-bearing to come out :gonk:

I have rebuilt a manual recirculating-ball box before - but that was 1982 and it was for a manual Ford Econoline.

The Pontiac shop manuals, as well as YouTube, were helpful. It took (no exaggeration) at least fifteen tries to get the balls installed properly (Saginaw has a thing where the balls are two different colors - chrome, and smoked brass; the latter are a slightly smaller diameter, and act as spacers for the chrome balls, and you must install them correctly, or you will grind up the balls & chases).

Ultimately it was a Good Thing, because this box had never been off of the car, and it was full of pudding-like gunk. Wish I'd had access to a proper powered parts-cleaning tub, though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Dang the lettering is cool on that pulley.

And lol if you think that's a bad coating of oil and sludge. I pulled 3/4" thick off of my transfer case. Basically everything on my motor was scrape first, cleaner second.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Power steering leaks are awful. I'm sure I'll be finding pockets of caked on grime from my C10's leaky steering gear for the rest of my life, and it's been fixed far longer than it was leaking for.

I've never dared to photograph the suspension of this car - but when I first saw it, I quietly said to myself, "man I hope this poo poo is good" because there is inches of crap caked on pretty much every bit of this suspension - restoration of this car fully will involve gallons upon gallons of degreaser and solvents.

angryrobots posted:

its a vinyl sticker - I didn't produce it, its a restoration part from a buick parts place - its a piece of clear film with the letters printed on the underside, not really an ideal method, but its what I had - in my somewhat educated guess as to the font I'd think its a variant of Futura or a Helvetica typeface - I can do a bit more looking if you like

I guess "whisper tight" is a local thing - it basically means extremely loose - this bracket is held on by 2 bolts off of a part of the cooling system called the "dog bone" that comes off the top of the water pump and distributes coolant to the 2 heads and holds the thermostat (but its an independent part of the water pump and housing) and a support off the back that goes to the head. the two bolts that held the bracket, and sealed the dog bone against the drivers side head were finger tight - its shocking to me that it wasn't leaking coolant. I'm nervous as hell that when I reinstall this, that I'll have to do the dog bone too because its been disrupted, but... that means another order of gaskets, another round of cleaning and painting parts not to mention draining the cooling system. soooooo... yeah lets hope it holds

I guess I forgot to post the cleaning pic of this thing

Last year I installed an outdoor mop sink - that's been very good for this kind of crap.

These kinds of things are like house of cards as you all know - once you get on a roll, the engine is coming out for a full rebuild, but for once I'm really trying to reign myself in with my projects - once I get this thing back together with some fresh stuff in it, I have to jump back on the A to finish that dual carb upgrade, which has also spiraled in to something that I wasn't expecting - still waiting on parts for that one before I post about it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Do work for friend - friend says "I owe you big" - I say sand blast these valve covers - friend takes valve covers - valve covers sand blasted - valve covers left at shop closed all weekend by accident - I get to lay the biggest guilt trip on friend all weekend :cmon:

gives me some time to nicely organize parts for when I get them back

now on to the roadster

linkage done, carbs on, plumbing between 2 carbs done - now I have to figure out routing of fuel -

for those that dont know, the stock gas tank in a model a is in the cowl, it's your dashboard - personally the idea of driving around with your gas tank in your lap has never really thrilled me - and because of that, the fuel pump (which is required to feed downdraft carbs (rather than the stock updraft) is also in the cab with you - as is the regulator - so you have a lot of failure points for fuel to be within inches.. so I decided to do the right thing and move the tank to the back for 2 reasons, 1 is... kinda obvious, the other is, that leaves plenty of space to run a cool dashboard or other instrument cluster - more on this later.

so I picked up this lovely made in USA spun aluminum tank:

and as you can see, the floors of a model a are.. plywood... so I have some ideas in mind to stiffen stuff up back there, also I think having the tank "somewhat" protected by the frame rails gives me a bit more peace of mind, however a 90 year old horseless carriage does not climb the safety ladder more than the first rung if you know what I mean... also space is at a premium, this was originally a rumble seat car, so access to fill the tank is going to be a bit of a PITA too. - im considering getting a cool vintage gas cap flange thingamabobber and mounting it in the rear sail panel, but I need to get the tank in and plumbed first before we figure that part out.

the biggest thing that is bugging me right now is how to plumb it in and make it look cool as well - I have a bunch of really cool glass bowl fuel filters and cool vintage fuel blocks to choose from - I also decided to run a fuel pressure gauge thats visible on the outside of the car (for tuning) - the trobule is that I hate seeing fittings, and I'm really trying to minimize my connections for ease of repair and maintenance - so the lovely part is I think the fuel is going to have to come back in to the cab at least for the gauge part. im also pissed because there's not enough room for my signature red dual fuel filter setup, seen here...

so I'm going to have to go with a single mounted somewhere on the firewall

also feast your eyes on the most silly huge fuel block known:

those are 5/8 npt holes - the gently caress is that? im not trying to feed 2 holly double pumpers here - on the shelve it goes - some other project later on down the line maybe.

I know the rest of the country is really having a rough go with winter - but here in LA the weather has been lovely (im sorry, i know) and I've been enjoying it in my 48

more soon

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 21, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That stuff looks so nice refinished :discourse:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It is hard to tell from the angle of the photos...might it be possible to mount the filter bowl assemblies next to each carb using a 180-degree fuel line? You're going to be custom-bending line for the tail tank as it is.

As for the fuel pressure gauge - unless you have a favorite period analog unit, you could have one with a sending unit, which can be plumbed in next to the fuel pump...although I gather you want it out by the carburetors.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

It is hard to tell from the angle of the photos...might it be possible to mount the filter bowl assemblies next to each carb using a 180-degree fuel line? You're going to be custom-bending line for the tail tank as it is.

As for the fuel pressure gauge - unless you have a favorite period analog unit, you could have one with a sending unit, which can be plumbed in next to the fuel pump...although I gather you want it out by the carburetors.

its pretty tight in there - I have those cool banjo fittings on the 81's so it keeps it low pro as possible - the fuel pressure gauge, I'm using a repro Stewart Warner oil filled gauge - it looks so cool and I've always thought it was cool to have them mounted in the firewall so you can see whats going on from the outside of the car while you are tuning it. I need to get the right size hole saw to cut it in, so I'm really just going to start from the tank and move forward - I really am trying to plan what I do, but sometimes it just comes together as you go..

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
progress!

it runs! and good too! - I wound up still using the cowl tank, but I built the fuel manifold system so that I can eventually switch to the rear tank - I was under there thinking what a pain in the rear end it will be to bend up 6' of line to avoid the exhaust, and other sketchy things under there.

also decided to go with a bit higher quality of fuel pump, however this thing is almost louder than the old crappy one, its just a different noise more like a whirring rather than a tapping.

I had to go to a really cool old hardware store to get all these fittings - I can't imagine where I'd even begin to source these if it wasn't for that hardware store.

and we're in business - test drive soon

on to the 54 - got these back from sand blasting, painted them up and threw the decals on there

Hoping to find some time to install all this tomorrow

foreman approves:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those valve covers are bitchin'.

Looks like a fair set-up for the fuel lines - it'll be a simple matter to hook it up to the new fuel line when the time comes.

With no baffle between the headers and the carburetors: is vapor lock an issue?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

foreman approves:

This makes me so happy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LobsterboyX posted:

foreman approves:

My stupid morning just got soo much better.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
sheet metal on:

pump on:

everything done:

the car runs SO good. I did a hot lap around the hood and man... this is the fastest, smoothest, nicest old car I've ever had. no leaks, no wining... its great!

and since the foreman was pretty popular last time.. he still approves.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just love that kid!

Hard to beat the satisfaction of a job well-done, especially when you do most of it yourself. Feeling it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Haha your kid looks 100% stoked all the time, I love it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Those valve covers are bitchin'.

Looks like a fair set-up for the fuel lines - it'll be a simple matter to hook it up to the new fuel line when the time comes.

With no baffle between the headers and the carburetors: is vapor lock an issue?

no the induction from this kind of setup is enough to frost up intakes - after a long drive, the intake is cold to the touch. on hot humid days, water drips off - before I wrapped the exhaust I used to hear little sizzling drops as the water dripped on to the hot headers - the first time I heard it, it scared the crap out of me because I thought it was fuel leaking.

Re: happy kid -
youre hard pressed to see him frowning - he's so close to walking on his own, he holds one hand and cruises all over the place all day - he can't sit still, he's intent on being in the garage with me or in the roadster - never did I think I'd care about another human as much as I care about this little schnook.

now that I've completed my two big projects, dual carbs on the model a and rebuilt power steering pump the garage is feeling a bit empty so I made a wall mount for the Howard:

and then I got really crazy and decided to paint my work bench

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

Re: happy kid -
youre hard pressed to see him frowning - he's so close to walking on his own, he holds one hand and cruises all over the place all day - he can't sit still, he's intent on being in the garage with me or in the roadster - never did I think I'd care about another human as much as I care about this little schnook.

Oh boy, are fun times a'comin'.

You may wonder at how a crawler can stretch their arms 3-4 feet like a wendigo to reach the unreachable...the same thing happens when they start running around.

It gets quiet.

Too quiet.

I'm thinking hard about adding another layer of 3/4" plywood on my workbench...but the thought of removing absolutely everything exhausts me

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 26, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Love the rod, the Buick, and the kiddo. :)

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm thinking hard about adding another layer of 3/4" plywood on my workbench...but the thought of removing absolutely everything exhausts me

I made that effort, after 20 years of living in the house.
From this:

To this:

(partway through putting the bins in the vertical drawers)

(I built the shelves before the new workbench.)

I still have a lot to clear out of the garage, but it's much better organized now, and I love that workbench. *Trying* to keep the top at least halfway clear, but it's a struggle.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, tomorrow is one of my favorite cars and coffee's around and my plan was to take the newly running roadster to it..

just one last thing...

Here's a very long winded explanation for a mod:

When you add a 1932 grill shell to a model a, you remove the ability to use the crank to start the car if the battery is dead , you also loose the ability to use said crank to put the engine to TDC, which is obviously used for timing the car.

32 grill shell for reference

you can see the timing "pin" here - its the little black pin that sticks out of the front of the engine - you unscrew it, turn it around and stick it back in the hole that it came out of - it interferes with the timing gear in which resides a small detent that that pin falls in to - when it falls in to that small detent, your engine is in exact top dead center - typically you use the cranker to slowly roll the motor over and find it - well as I said the 32 grill now prevents you from using the crank..

All Model A's had electric starters, as did the later model T's - the starter was actuated by a pedal on the floor, above the accelerator pedal - the pedal was actually a rod that connected to a piece of spring steel that was engergized by the battery - when you stop the pedal the entire 6 volts from the battery is transferred in to a copper button that turns the starter.

So, you want to set the engine to tdc but you cant use the cranker, and to blip the starter you have to sit in the car and press the pedal down making it impossible to have your hand on the timing pin -

I dont feel like removing the grill shell, pulling the plugs and spinning the motor from the pulley or trying to rope the wife in to blipping the pedal - what to do...

Starter solenoid! to be exact, starter solenoid with a service button!

shown here on the left!

you can also see the original starter pedal assembly -

its a 3 post setup, battery in, remote post and power out - the service button is on the bottom of this thing.

heres the button:

so why? if you mount this solenoid on the firewall, you can reach over and blip the motor with one hand, while you keep your other hand on the timing pin to find the detent!

sooo, I've been wanting to dial in some advance, and its pretty easy to do on the fly, so I figured the car would be out and about tomorrow, I could tune on it while driving to the cars and coffee.

and how do you go about installing this?

well its simple, wire it up and drill a hole in the copper button on the top of the starter, tap it for a bolt and wire it all in.

or... not...

yup, thats the copper button laying broken next to the starter, which by the way is... smoked...

see that tab? thats the wear line, yeah, its done.

I drilled it a bit off center, it took out the flange, and that broke the whole thing off an internal armature - dumb move yes, but I knew the starter was cooked (but not that bad) but whatever - poo poo happens.

I'm going to run this over to my rebuilder guys to see if they can rebuild it and maybe add a lug that I can just throw a nut on and get back moving again, if not, ill find a new starter thats maybe in a bit better shape and try my drilling operation again.

in other news, I painted my work bench

to:

I actually took my 1946 craftsman vise to the paint store and had them match it up - I'm trying to source some cool red drawer pulls for that cheeky industrial look, with these coke bottle green knobs on there it looks like your wife's friend shabby shiek project - I couldn't be happier with the color tho, I also chose a line of paint that has some mild chemical resistance, so maybe this will hold up a bit better.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Years ago I built a remote starter button using a doorbell button, zip cord and a couple of big broad alligator clips. One side to BAT & the other to the solenoid lug. Still in my box, though I haven't had to use it in many & many a year, probably because I gave up on most vintage Chrysler products in 1995.

Workbench looks slick!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My 73 VW Bus had a remote start button installed by the P.O. it was very handy when working on it not having to run to the front to start it anytime I was working on it.
One of these days I'll be dragging it out of my parents driveway and get it road worthy again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

in other news, I painted my work bench

to:

I actually took my 1946 craftsman vise to the paint store and had them match it up - I'm trying to source some cool red drawer pulls for that cheeky industrial look, with these coke bottle green knobs on there it looks like your wife's friend shabby shiek project - I couldn't be happier with the color tho, I also chose a line of paint that has some mild chemical resistance, so maybe this will hold up a bit better.

That's a heck of an improvement.
I was kind of stunned myself how much better my workbench looked painted vs. raw wood, even new wood. I would love to fix drywall and paint my garage (and the floor,) but oof, what a project getting everything out. Next house is definitely getting the two-tone-with-a-stripe auto repair garage style.

PainterofCrap posted:

Years ago I built a remote starter button using a doorbell button, zip cord and a couple of big broad alligator clips. One side to BAT & the other to the solenoid lug. Still in my box, though I haven't had to use it in many & many a year, probably because I gave up on most vintage Chrysler products in 1995.

Workbench looks slick!

Pretty sure I have a "Lone Wolf 5000" (hat tip to Vice Grip Garage) somewhere in my Craftsman '70s-vintage auto tune up kit, but I've never actually used it, somehow.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So this lovely horn relay almost burned down the car and my garage a few nights ago:

I had it fused - it kept blowing fuses, I ate thru all of my 15 amp glass fuses trying to track down what the issue was I got my test light out, still couldn't find the issue - I didn't see that the plastic part had separated from the metal body and shorted itself out - I was testing with a live wire and an alligator clip and then I saw it - Oh well. thankfully it only took itself and its wiring out, I have the horn circuit on its own thing because the more direct juice you give them, the louder they are. So to recap, 80 year old horn is fine, NOS 60 year old button is fine, but the brand new part is not fine - lesson learned, and I need to up my diagnosis game - I just am starting to understand wiring after many years of being scared of it - this kind of circuit making I've treated as if I'm doing a car for someone else - no lovely connections, proper wire managment no half assery.. taking the time, selecting the proper terminals, wire gauge and all the poo poo that I kinda brushed off before is what I'm trying to avoid.

So after I botched the drilling operation on the starter, it was off to the rebuilder - good thing it was, new brushes, cleaned up the arm, new bushings - this sucker moves now.

turns over great on the button now

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
alright so heres everything I did to the hot rod:

added this starter button to the panel that controls the solenoid in the last post

heres the new fuel pump

I'm working on my wire managment!

see:

final part of this area and horn works again.

just monitoring things now to make sure I dont have a parasitic draw - seems to be fine so far -

I had to troubleshoot my silly wiring in that I had the tail lights come on only when low beams, they cut out when i switch to high beams - quick re-do on wiring and that was solved

the last thing I want to do is check every fuel fitting for leaks, and use the same clamps across all fittings. I have some on order

So close!

this suckers running great:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ALARM!

I actually did something to the tank today.

I put it on a stand and removed the bar that was used to latch it to the airplane:

removing this bar wasn't too difficult with my impact, but if I had hand tools I'd be pretty angry about turning 16 fine thread av bolts.

note the green oxide undercoating - pretty cool

The big bar on the top is actually cad plated then painted over - its also made of steel while the rest of it, including the plates is all aluminum, pretty interesting, I didn't take a photo of it.

I did this for a few reasons, firstly, this base thing recently saw the end of its service, it supported my parts cabinet, but happened to work for this too - I'm going to add some casters to it for ease of movement and radius the arms to cradle the tank a bit better. the second reason is that there was a foul smell coming from the vicinity of the tank and I needed to investigate it. - its literally been sitting on the ground with leaves and other debris gathering up behind it, I assumed some kind of vermin was dead either inside the tank, or behind it. my worst fear was that a squirrel or rat crawled in and expired because it was unable to escape, however this is not the case, there was what looked to be some kind of nest underneath it with some droppings - I got that cleaned up and got the cradle underneath it, which in itself was a bit of a task to do alone. I used a few pieces of 4x4 to support it and walk it up slowly while I manuvered the cradle under it with my foot, then slowly brought it down and adjusted it to find the COG.

the ominous warning on the side of this thing has always had me a bit freaked, specifically what I might find under these plates that came off the side of the main lift bar - I wasn't quite sure what I'd find underneath them, turned out to be just some kind of cork or old rotted rubber matting I guess to limit vibration? this aside, I've talked to a few aviation mechanics that have assured me time and time again that the squibs are not inside the tank, but I still think about it every time I touch this thing.

either way, I wanted to do something to it and I did. My next task, if I'm brave enough, is going to be to start soaking the bolts that secure the two inspection covers and maybe have a look in there - my biggest fear is having to start grinding broken screws out of this thing, so I'm really going to take my time and possibly use my impact to try and remove them without breaking bolts.

I also need to find a cap for it so I can make sure no vermin go inside of it - for now a 1940s rubber buick floormat will do.

In other news, while cleaning back there I found these awesome railroad lanterns and started cleaning them up - they are from the Southern Pacific lines and are quite cool, I ordered the oil pots and burners to get them working again

seems that someone filled them with this candle wax in an attempt to maybe make them work again? I started to scrape it out with an awl, but I'm going to use my heat gun to heat things up and hopefully dislodge it from the bottoms without scratching them.

Bench news: I found these cool vintage red ceramic drawer pulls and in the quantity I needed so I sprung on them - I really like the look! not pictured, but you can see it in the lantern pics, I cut a piece of utility leather as a bench top protector for some projects - I'm already loving the use of leather as a bench surface - not sure how it will hold up to real nasty grease and grimey projects, but maybe I can have a few different mats I use for different jobs. Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a utility side of leather - I've had this roll for years and years and have come up with some great uses for it - I still have a huge part of it for whatever I need - I've made wallets, belts, mats, straps - pretty much any leather task it works for, and for $50 you cant beat that...

bonus not crying car show baby with a staff car Packard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

ALARM!

I actually did something to the tank today.

I put it on a stand and removed the bar that was used to latch it to the airplane:

I WANT THAT LITTERING SIGN. drat. Where do you find this stuff? Is it just lying around in southern California?

LobsterboyX posted:

the second reason is that there was a foul smell coming from the vicinity of the tank and I needed to investigate it. - its literally been sitting on the ground with leaves and other debris gathering up behind it, ...
Figured it would have become clear when you moved it, but wet, rotting vegetation can smell surprisingly like rotting animal matter. I have an old whiskey barrel set-up to catch rainwater, and until I figured out how to filter it efficiently, one of the jobs I really dreaded was emptying that barrel before the first freeze. The smell of rotting leaves at the bottom would knock a buzzard off of a shitwagon.

LobsterboyX posted:

seems that someone filled them with this candle wax in an attempt to maybe make them work again? I started to scrape it out with an awl, but I'm going to use my heat gun to heat things up and hopefully dislodge it from the bottoms without scratching them.

Someone put an unclad votive in there for light and it melted down. Pour very hot water in there for a minute or so; it should soften it enough to release. Encourage it with something blunt & keep applying the hot water.

LobsterboyX posted:

bonus not crying car show baby with a staff car Packard

Weaponized cuteness.

I was glad when that car-show trend ran its course. Those doll-things were never charming, and I never figured out what they were supposed to represent. Child abuse?

That your Packard?