Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

sharkytm posted:

What kind of laser?

Flux Beamo - its a little 30 watt, very cheap, very small - bed is a touch bigger than 8x10 - great interface, great software, super easy to use. we wanted to cut our teeth with a home gamer before stepping up to bigger one if what we're up to goes somewhere. So far this thing has more than exceeded my expectations. I worked at a set shop as a technical designer on and off for a number of years and their big machines I thought it would be cool to get my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

LobsterboyX posted:

Thanks man! thats super cool.. so without breaking out my calipers, looks like I'm doing... ok... ish? really nice to have those torque specs tho-

I finally torqued up that bike and aired everything up. Gave it a ride around the block and .....Since I rode it as a coaster clunker I've gained some pounds, and added those wacky mustache bars so the bike was very, very unfamiliar and rather uncomfortable and I instantly bottomed out that girvin. I had some low rise bmx bars on it before which I loved, slight things like a handlebar switch really threw me. I dropped the seat a bit and it got a bit better but definitely not something I'd want to ride spirited, I guess its a weird cruiser now?

well based on this pic

it looks like you’ve only got about 10-15mm. it changes the angle of the shock relative to the frame and makes it more likely to hit the head-tube (this is more of an issue on aluminum frames that have fatter tubes); it also changes the angle of contact for the top bearing race slightly, since the shape of the parallelogram is now different. looking at that photo tho, you’re gonna be limited by the length of the steerer tube; if you added 20mm underneath, the top bolt of the stem would just be compressing air, not steerer, and that’s bad. I’d probably just leave it if it’s not contacting the head tube when the shock compresses, or messing with the bearing adjustment as you turn the fork. the riding characteristics you describe are probably not helped by the fact that that fork was designed with a rake for a 73-ish° head tube angle, and that frame is... most likely slacker than that, probably like 68-70° (my 28” wheel Raleighs are 67°; it takes some getting used to but I love it now). it’s not unsafe per se, it’s just gonna feel “floppier” when you steer, especially since now there’s a fair bit of travel to the fork. this is why you very rarely see modern suspension forks on klunkers; except for really long-travel stuff like downhill bikes, everything is designed for (relatively) steep head-tube angles.

LobsterboyX posted:

then theres this, the cadillac of bikes, the roadmaster luxury liner

this was given to me by my friend when he went in to the navy and I was supposed to give it back to him when he got out, well he got out and told me to keep the bike so its in my collection forever now. this is a 53 and its the only year for the mens bikes to be painted this green, making it really rare.

in the 80s and 90s there was a resurgence in bicycles, they reproduced this bike and sold them for astronomical amounts. there are several of these repop bikes out there, but by far this one is the best reproduction, made by the same company, same tooling, same quality. the ONLY give away to a repop is the coaster brake, and it takes a very keen eye to spot. the repop parts are absolutely interchangeable with the originals too which is cool.

heres a repop:

the repop is of the 48 model year, so my 53 has more bells and whistles and the cool crash bars.

nice — that roadmaster is really lovely. IIRC those are oil-based paint too so you can make them really shiny by just rubbing oil all over the (clean) painted bits and wiping it all off a day later. takes away a lot of the white-ish patina.

patina is pretty cool though, so there’s that.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
so I realized I never actually posted these renders I made of the tank! I made these awhile back...

So over the weekend a buddy of mine picked up some pretty bad rear end modern push scooters, I was thinking about how much I loved riding scooters as a kid - not razor scooters - but original 80s freestyle BMX scooters. It was a craze that lasted for a very short time, but I had a hand-me-down scooter from a neighbor that I absolutely loved. It had top of the line BMX components on it and it was really built.. So in looking for some boredom crushing exercises I decided to design the adult version of the little rascals, depression era, back to the future type fruit crate scooters.

these were pretty cool little things typically made out of roller skate wheels and empty fruit crates. and were popular back when kids used to be able to do things "RaThEr ThAn bE oN tHoSe gOd daMned pHonEs aLl tHe tiMe"

this one is a surviving original from the 40s. the graphics tickle me pink. There really isnt too much info on these and reference photos are kind of subjective to what they were called in their specific user areas

heres your dad and his friends loving around in the 50s on some of these suckers.

this one looks to be a staged modern photo

and of course Marty doing his thing..

So I decided to start thinking about sizing one for adults:

Me and wood dont really get along too well, so I just started mocking something up to make sure my ergonomics aren't just guessing so that if I go out and buy some hardwoods I'm not wasting. I did some basic cut and screw stuff, but its garbage so I have to really start messing with my measurements more. I also took some measures from the photos above as size references - now the hard part is scaling it to overweight, 6'3" tall 30something year old that is exhausted.... in relation to the scrawny spam fed children of yesterday. The overwhelming popularity of motorized scooters and skateboards had me thinking as well, what a better place to hide a battery and ugly electronics than in a big rear end wooden crate, so that's on the table too. I also thought about making the front trucks steerable for a bit more maneuverability, however I'm not sure how that will go with skateboard trucks.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I posted this in the stupid question thread, and was told this might be a good place to go for some info (awesome thread by the way, I had overlooked it before).

AFewBricksShy posted:

Where would I find someone to make metal pieces like this:

Trying to type in 1934 ford custom hood inserts doesn't get me poo poo, typing in Custom fab metal gets me everything in the world.

Long story short my dad just picked up a '34, it's one of those fiberglass kit cars so pretty much just a mustang in different clothes. It's in pretty good condition, whoever did the work did a pretty good job, but right now he just has a big rear end open rectangle on the side of the hood, and is looking for something like what is in that picture, but I don't even know where the hell to start looking. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 11, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, that's a tiny picture, but I think that's like a chrome grill? (Better pictures here, I think: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2584847/1934-ford-coupe/)

That sure looks like a custom part to begin with - googling "1934 Ford Coupe" comes up with a variety of different configurations, few of which look like that. If they're not sold as replicas, getting that custom made is going to require finding a fabricator and getting them to custom make it - doable, but might be expensive depending on exactly what it's going to look like/require.

It doesn't look too complex, but without looking at the actual car and knowing exactly what the client wants it to do / look like, I couldn't really judge that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I pretty much figure it has to be custom.
I'm just wondering if there's a guy on https://www.customchromeshitforyouroldcar.com that I'm not aware of, or if I'm just going to have to go down the rabbit hole of tracking down a local guy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I pretty much figure it has to be custom.
I'm just wondering if there's a guy on https://www.customchromeshitforyouroldcar.com that I'm not aware of, or if I'm just going to have to go down the rabbit hole of tracking down a local guy.

You might also explore getting a part 3D printed in metal and chrome plated, which might work out cheaper than the classic metalworking approach.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Measure the holes and find a billet grille or grilles that you can cut down to size.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fits-Dodge-...8IAAOSwsupbxi4N

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AAL-For-Dodge-Pickup-Fullsize-94-95-96-97-98-99-200-01-Billet-Grille-4pcs-Insert/222668719455

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 11, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Midjack posted:

You might also explore getting a part 3D printed in metal and chrome plated, which might work out cheaper than the classic metalworking approach.
Is metal 3D printing that cheap? Because I feel like that has to be (considerably?) more expensive than what most fabricators would do:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Depending on your location, there is probably a custom car shop or hot rod shop in your area that will be able to work something up for you. I mean - if you have a welder and know where a metal supply shop is, you could just kinda make something up out of round bar, fit it, then get it chromed... Sadly there's no real easy answer to it - the aftermarket for 33/4 fords is huge, so maybe there's something easily available. you could check out Summit, ebay -

they also make flat hood sides for them too so you could start from scratch.

Typically any kind of custom work done to hoods were often taken from other cars. A common trope in vintage vehicles is making an average run of the mill car like a ford "look" like a high dollar car like a cadillac or packard -

for instance, here is a 40 packard - as you can see the hood is adorned with some cool vents

so... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-2-Pac...qkAAOSwMgdXx41P

or...

that could be an option too.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
worthless bump but I think anyone interested in these cars should see this amazing documentary put out by the HVA on the coolest Merc ever built.

I watched this several times in a row over and over - you can see the passions of the men involved in its restoration and the true admiration and love of the car by Jim the owner.

It's a fantastic little film that explores the history of the car, George and Sam Barris, and the mentality of a lot of the guys in the so cal hot rod/custom scene - having grown up around some of the guys in the documentary and knowing George personally, this is such a cool look in to a moment in time.

This was posted in 4 parts over the past few weeks, but this is the full version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5GfqfKnrg

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

LobsterboyX posted:

worthless bump but I think anyone interested in these cars should see this amazing documentary put out by the HVA on the coolest Merc ever built.

I watched this several times in a row over and over - you can see the passions of the men involved in its restoration and the true admiration and love of the car by Jim the owner.

It's a fantastic little film that explores the history of the car, George and Sam Barris, and the mentality of a lot of the guys in the so cal hot rod/custom scene - having grown up around some of the guys in the documentary and knowing George personally, this is such a cool look in to a moment in time.

This was posted in 4 parts over the past few weeks, but this is the full version of it.

I'll definitely be watching that later. The Hirohata Merc is perfection.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

Absolute pro click.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Midjack posted:

Absolute pro click.

drat straight

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was directed to this thread to share some old car toy stuff. I have no idea if its worth anything so any information or whatever would be appreciated.

I know these were given out at dealerships prior to the advent of brochures. I love that they have the features listed on the bottom

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have these too

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Those are cool!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

I have these too

YOOOOOO thats my wagon!

I love little cars too, I have a few varieties of them

so on the topic of dealer promo models, they were usually given to the children of perspective buyers, which is an absolutely genius marketing move. there were typically 2 companies that made them Johan and AMT - The earlier ones sometimes have friction drive motors in them - their day was probably mid 50s to mid 60s.

I have a few of them modeled after my own cars (duh)

heres one of my wifes car

this one is made by amt and has the motor

then I have 3 58 caddy fleetwoods, these are made by Johan and 2 of 3 of them have friction motors, the blue one has a really nice interior and is way more detailed than the other 2

I have a 54 buick somewhere too, but in my quick walk around the house I forgot where I had it - my wife hates toy cars in the house, so I have to hide them

I also have 2 toy 54 buick wagons - bonus rocketeer helmet for those in the know.

I also have this awesome one in a display case - this is a Structo Transport - its about 18-20 inches long and has 4x 49 cadillacs - the cab is chrome and super bad rear end.

airplanes are great too

this big rear end DC3 is made by a company called authentic models - they had several large models, and i believe you can still get them, they are very expensive but ya boy never pays full price so I found this one cheap

I also have a thing for airplane related decor'

this is just one of a few of them that I have, maybe ill post about them later.

I'm not really big on 1:18 diecast, but there are a few exceptions

and then there's these...

Now I got these in a really weird way, and there are a lot of questions that come with them but I've done a bit of research and got a few promising leads but I don't know who made them, or what films they were in -

these are movie prop miniatures - first there's this one.

its a big 28/9 ford model a coupe. its extremely detailed and looks like it once had headlights that lit up due to the giant batteries in the trunk

it has a figure inside that is also pretty detailed

the hole in the top of it seems to me to be a plot aspect - so if youve ever seen a very old movie where someone falls thru the roof of a model a, please let me know.

the second, more perplexing one is this

its a 1939 Buick sedan with 1941 California registration plates - the body is made out of lead - the assumption is that the lead skin will crumple like sheet metal on a real car when crashed - you can see the small figure that accompany this one is very detailed.

this one also has a full frame and interior - maybe its condition is again, a plot aspect. - Ive done a lot of looking on imcdb about buicks in film and tv but again, I come up short.

the strange part about this one is that, one of my close friends owns another one of these cars that came from the same place, but on that one the body is made of cast loving iron - the car weighs a ton and is detailed in the same way.

These came from the estate of a collector of unique things - my friends and I were very lucky to have first crack at the collection, I probably got some of my most valuable interesting pieces from this house.

BONUS - hand drawn illustration of the b17 bomber that was used in a feature for popular mechanics in the 40s. this is the original art that was photographed for the magazine.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 22, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Flyinglemur posted:

I was directed to this thread to share some old car toy stuff. I have no idea if its worth anything so any information or whatever would be appreciated.

I know these were given out at dealerships prior to the advent of brochures. I love that they have the features listed on the bottom

That pink Tonka is cool as poo poo. Found some on eBay from $20 up to over $100 with the original horse trailer.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Those are some lovely models. A part of me wants to buy some cool stuff like that, but I think I'm happy to just look at pictures of them.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Flyinglemur posted:

I have these too

The trainset is a Louis Marx, from the forties probably. It looks like that one is windup? I have an electric one, bottom of the locomotive looks exactly the same but with a copper pickup shoe.

There’s a picture of a locomotive that looks like yours here -

http://www.tcawestern.org/marx.htm

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Fornax Disaster posted:

The trainset is a Louis Marx, from the forties probably. It looks like that one is windup? I have an electric one, bottom of the locomotive looks exactly the same but with a copper pickup shoe.

There’s a picture of a locomotive that looks like yours here -

http://www.tcawestern.org/marx.htm

Yeah it has the wind up key in the box with the tracks.

Thank you guys for the info on all of these things!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
been cleaning out a bunch of crap and finding treasures I forgot I had!

oooh! a victorian era bubble glass frame.. cool!

I bought this super cool hand illustrated Philco advertisement at an estate sale years ago, never had anywhere to hang it!

reprint of a Michelin tire ad

if you've never seen these series of ads - the Michelin man was a total ham, and kind of an rear end in a top hat too, hes always smoking and throwing parts of his body at people. he was always invited to parties and fancy places.

heres an awesome mid century bowl that I used as a business card holder at my first job out of college!

then theres these!

a few years back I was knocking around downtown and we saw a old store with a going out of business sign - the shop had been in business since the 30s and they made all kinds of things.... mostly promotional items, trophies, and other chotchkies - the majority of the shop was 70s/80s crap, but there were a few nice little finds - I found a box of these little glass enameled buick emblems - to get a sense of scale, these are about the size of a quarter - when i asked them about it they said that they made a lot of dealership morale items like tie clips, cufflinks, awards and business card holders for dealerships - buick used this emblem from the mid 30s to the mid 50s - so they are definitely old. Back when I got them I stashed them in a random junk drawer and forgot about them - covid cleaning allowed me to find them! I put a few up for sale and they sold instantly, so I've been hocking these little emblems like mad right now.

been working on the roadster a bit too

Got my year of manufacture license plate registered and installed

also changed it up with some new paint on my drums

they were black and boring so cast aluminum paint livened things up a bit. I got registered for the RPM nationals this year, but I have a slight reservation about larger gatherings, even tho this is a racer only event this year.

and finally this really made me pause for a minute... My parents bought my childhood home in the early 70s, the san fernando valley has always been the suburb of the stars, especially the southern valley - As a kid I remember a kindly old woman who lived across the street from me, she lived with a younger woman who was kind of a care taker. My mom and these ladies would stand talk as the kids played in the street - she would call and invite my mom and I over - they would drink tea and I would admire her collection of amazing photographs of her with just about every star from the 30s to present day (early 90s) - I really loved visiting with her, and I loved her stories even more. Her name was Dorothy, Dorothy Lamour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Lamour

also in my findings, I found the program from her funeral which I attended at the ripe age of 12, my mom told me that day "if you recognize anyone, don't say anything to them, its a funeral"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some Italian company has the Philco name last I checked and I had an early 2000s washer / dryer combo that was a total POS. Sad times, but it was cheap.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I always thought it had been absorbed by Phillips..

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
According to Wikipedia, in the U.S. yeah, I guess it was just in Europe that the Italians had it. I was in Central Europe at the time. Then it's across a bunch of different companies in various South American countries.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

been cleaning out a bunch of crap and finding treasures I forgot I had!

reprint of a Michelin tire ad

if you've never seen these series of ads - the Michelin man was a total ham, and kind of an rear end in a top hat too, hes always smoking and throwing parts of his body at people. he was always invited to parties and fancy places.

The early Michelin man was terrifying.

LobsterboyX posted:

heres an awesome mid century bowl that I used as a business card holder at my first job out of college!

I WANT THIS BOWL will trade for a pair of Ronsonol butane candles in the box...

LobsterboyX posted:

and finally this really made me pause for a minute... My parents bought my childhood home in the early 70s, the san fernando valley has always been the suburb of the stars, especially the southern valley - As a kid I remember a kindly old woman who lived across the street from me, she lived with a younger woman who was kind of a care taker. My mom and these ladies would stand talk as the kids played in the street - she would call and invite my mom and I over - they would drink tea and I would admire her collection of amazing photographs of her with just about every star from the 30s to present day (early 90s) - I really loved visiting with her, and I loved her stories even more. Her name was Dorothy, Dorothy Lamour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Lamour

also in my findings, I found the program from her funeral which I attended at the ripe age of 12, my mom told me that day "if you recognize anyone, don't say anything to them, its a funeral"

I love hearing stories of the rich and/or famous just being normal folk in the neighborhood. I am happy to learn that she emerged from the Hollywood star system/scene as a reasonably normal person. Fabulous!

Dorothy Lamour. drat.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

PainterofCrap posted:

The early Michelin man was terrifying.

he used to be even scarier! the earliest ads for Michelin were him holding up a martini glass full of nails and broken glass and poo poo. he was originally called ‘Sir Bibendum’, bibendum meaning “time to drink”

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, that's the one I remember...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Interesting, as always. Your Lamour story made me think - you know, old people especially have tons of stuff on display, but it's mostly children that actually look at their things while the adults are talking. Adults rarely ask about the crap we have out, but kids always do.

If I may be so bold, tchotchke is a Yiddish word that was derived from a Slavic word meaning 'trinket'. Just thought you would want to know it's an actual word, with a sort of interesting history of its own.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Interesting, as always. Your Lamour story made me think - you know, old people especially have tons of stuff on display, but it's mostly children that actually look at their things while the adults are talking. Adults rarely ask about the crap we have out, but kids always do.

If I may be so bold, tchotchke is a Yiddish word that was derived from a Slavic word meaning 'trinket'. Just thought you would want to know it's an actual word, with a sort of interesting history of its own.

I had no clue! I interchange that and bric-a-brac! and yes, my mother was very eccentric and had a similar taste in stuff as I do - She was an interior designer so often times her days consisted of antique hunting, as a kid she told me I could touch anything I wanted as long as it was with one finger only - so I remember walking thru these places touching drat near everything with only one finger.

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah, that's the one I remember...

man, what an rear end.

here he is engaged in bloodsport

here he is pickpocketing someone

here he is cutting your rear end off and giving you the bird

man... this guy...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

LobsterboyX posted:

man... this guy...

He's also got different tread on each side. It's like when I was too poor to afford new tires so I found ones that passed inspection at the dump :v:

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I'm also an...aficionado of older stuff, and have been trying to find info on how to repair an oscillating desk fan from the 60s.

Is there another sub forum that would be better for something like that?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Post it in the DIY subforum

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
regarding the fans, I've never really had one that didn't work - the most I've had to do to one is grease and oil to get it turning again - some old school vacuum repair shops are still around and usually they can deal with electric motors, I actually had a local one rebuild the motor for a old craftsman saw I had.

as far as updates, its slim and none, except I picked up this bad rear end 5' tire sign!

went thru some old pictures and realized I've been in to cars pretty much since day 1

also my cruise night made it in to a magazine!

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

LobsterboyX posted:

regarding the fans, I've never really had one that didn't work - the most I've had to do to one is grease and oil to get it turning again - some old school vacuum repair shops are still around and usually they can deal with electric motors, I actually had a local one rebuild the motor for a old craftsman saw I had.

The fan part works perfectly. This one seems a little unusual in that it has an oscillator, and that's what isn't working.

Googling only turns up loving pinterest links or old ads.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

as far as updates, its slim and none, except I picked up this bad rear end 5' tire sign!

Neat!

quote:

went thru some old pictures and realized I've been in to cars pretty much since day 1

also my cruise night made it in to a magazine!

Both of those are great. I've definitely been into cars from the beginning - was infected by my dad. I have toy cars and Hot Wheels from back then, and many more that I remember, but disappeared for various reasons...
I really need to visit my folks and scan some of the old pics of us with Dad's '55 Chevy (he still has it - though it's badly in need of love.)
Also, I think some of those toys are still up in their attic.

One of these days, maybe, I'd like to have a true hot rod. Closest I have is my '70 Cutlass, and oldest I ever had was my '68 El Camino. Definitely love the simplicity of the older stuff, especially when more modern stuff is being problematic. :D

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Captain McAllister posted:

The fan part works perfectly. This one seems a little unusual in that it has an oscillator, and that's what isn't working.

Googling only turns up loving pinterest links or old ads.

Oscillation is usually very simple. It's just a worm gear driven from the fan motor turning a shaft connected to an arm linked to the base. The only thing I can think of that would go wrong is either the gears stripping, or the mechanism that allows disengaging it failing with it disengaged.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A lot of stuff like that the gears are a press-fit on the shaft, and if that goes, they'll just spin uselessly, which is good in its own way as it acts as a torque limiter and it's probably easier to fix than sourcing replacements for stripped gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
This Santa Ana auction this week starting tomorrow looks to have a ton of things this thread constantly delivers on.
Car parts, radios, watches, toys, emblems, automotive oddities, signage, etc.
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mt20

Found it all from this link: https://racer.com/2020/09/14/preview-rm-sothebys-mitosinka-collection-online-sale/