Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

a url tag around the actual mp4 or gifv should do it, like this

https://i.imgur.com/k6Xsds4.mp4

the post preview doesnt embed it properly tho

anyway, that cruise sounds like a perfect halloween outing. i wish i had a group of friends up here that did stuff half as cool

Holy poo poo - thank you! Now I can embed Imgur video correctly in my thread.
I've just been telling folks to click through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
more useless buick content coming atcha..

Well my back finally allowed me to move around a bit better today, and my son had a late nap so he couldn't wind down, especially with me in the house, so I took the time to sneak out and get some work done on the old 42

got all 4 wheels on and cleaned up the caps, dropped her back down wow.. what a difference..

I'm getting closer on finding some wheels, so far I've located 1 positive match and 2 questionable ones, as in later buick rims that may or may not be correct - I have to de-tire them and get my thinking cap on to try and figure out how to measure them accurately.

here's one of the wheels with a hole in it -

pretty sure its slow leaking.. we'll see in a few days- why I put that one on the back... its a mystery.

I also started to mock up the freshly painted parts:

I really am a one trick pony when it comes to these colors - I love this green, with the red rims, whitewalls, black paint (whats left of it) and shiny stainless..

Doing this car kinda makes me want to paint my 48 the original factory green...

roadster content - I'm submitting this without context because its not a sure fire thing, lots of moving parts going in to this deal, but if I'm successful.. this is grail stuff, and may change my plans for the belly tank.

There's also more - but I'm going to have to find the money somehow, good thing I just got booked solid for work until Feb.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

On those wheels, I'd probably see about removing the powder coat and welding up those holes and grinding it smooth, the recoating them.
It is amazingly annoying that the powder coater exposed that and then just went right ahead and coated them.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
um..

https://i.imgur.com/BXb6JHz.mp4

thats not supposed to do that...

well theres my issue, I drove the 48 to do some errands today and heard a lot of klunking from the front end - got home and decided to see what the deal was.

It's honestly been like this for a long time, the drums are shot, that race should be a press fit - called a few old timers, they have some drums -

last weekend;

an old train station:

thats all for now !

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How could the race get so loose and not be more damaged/blued?

It looks like the wrong-diameter bearing for that hub.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

How could the race get so loose and not be more damaged/blued?

It looks like the wrong-diameter bearing for that hub.

I think this damage was done long before I got it - this issue has plagued this car from the start- it’s always been shakey at high speeds. Of course I didn’t take any pics of it or measure it at all - you know, the smart thing to do..

Without getting in to too much detail this car has always been the “eh, it’s fine” car. At the beginning of Covid I kinda made it my mission to really get it in a place where I could just get in it and go anywhere

The previous owner of the car was not a car guy, he was a professor of music, he had a local neighborhood garage do a lot of the work on the car and it’s showed the 14+ years I’ve owned the car. I’ve had my hands on nearly every last part of this car and now I’m getting to the end

I can see some two bit garage mechanic digging out the old one and throwing a new one in there- you can see the deep wallowed out grooves where the race is supposed to sit and the new and old bearings are the same size so.. it’s been a long time coming the fit of the cones on the spindle is perfect-

The worst news about this is that my favorite brake shop just went out of business - they did it all- full drum and shoe service- blast and paint drums, machine, press bearings, blast and re-line shoes all arc matches - it eas the best - they would also do custom clutches.. surface flywheels- everything.. 70 years in business- gone

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the same thing happened to one of the front hubs on my impala

it has definitely suffered from decades of "eh, it's fine" to be fair

you could weld up the race and turn it back out, but neither your car nor mine is rare enough for that to make sense

guess it goes to show that you can't shouldn't just ignore that noise for a little while longer

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

you could weld up the race and turn it back out, but neither your car nor mine is rare enough for that to make sense

this was actually my first thought - the brake shop I just talked about would make miracles happen, so it didn't even cross my mind that my problems would be solved with a call to them. but yeah, the good thing about GM is that they made so much of the stuff that's still out there, I can surely find another set of drums to fix this issue.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

The worst news about this is that my favorite brake shop just went out of business - they did it all- full drum and shoe service- blast and paint drums, machine, press bearings, blast and re-line shoes all arc matches - it was the best - they would also do custom clutches.. surface flywheels- everything.. 70 years in business- gone

GaaahhhI hate when that happens! Have to see if my local shop is still in business.

Are they GONE gone, or can you contact them to see who they could refer you to? Before the internet, this was how I found services: call around & ask who they recommend if they don't do it. Also (gnash) call car clubs. I'm not a big club guy, but they are extremely useful for parts & services. Some club members may have a little side op going out of their garage with a brake lathe & and a press.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
The loss of that shop couldn't come at a worse time for me - the brakes on my wagon are done and finding replacement shoes that actually work is a bit challenging, the same with the 42 - I'm going to attempt a rockauto purchase but I don't have high hopes.

This was the kind of place that was a pretty much one stop shop for all brakes, shoe relining, drum/disc turning, clutch stuff, brake cylinder rebuilding, they had all the soft lines in stock and on the shelf, and the age old books that told you exactly which ones you needed, they would cut flywheels, repair pressure plates - ugh - the list goes on - The two guys that owned the business were like cartoon characters, and their nicknames were quite politically incorrect, and I'll spare you that, but they embraced it.

when I called the shop the guy answered, I just started blabbing what I needed and he waited until I was done and just said "we closed in august" - I did ask who they could reco, but that answer was "dont know what to tell ya son"

I have a friend in his 90s that grew up here and was a buick collector for many years - the guy's like a grandpa to me, his house is what I modeled my garage after and he's just generally one of the best guys I know. He's also my buick parts dealer - I told him the shop went out of business and he was so upset, I genuinely felt like I had just told him one of his friends died.

It's just getting harder all the time to restore these cars, what we had here in the late 90s/early 00s was really something special - pretty much all those people are gone now.

Anyway....

we keep the flame burning

last friday me and a few buddys took the original path of Mulholland drive pretty much all the way until it turned to dirt

iphone night shots are pretty cool

quote:

The main portion of the road, from Cahuenga Pass in Hollywood westward past Sepulveda Pass, was originally called Mulholland Highway and was opened in 1924.[3] It was built by a consortium of developers investing in the Hollywood Hills.[4] DeWitt Reaburn, the construction engineer responsible for the project, said while it was being built, "The Mulholland Highway is destined to be one of the heaviest traveled and one of the best known scenic roads in the United States."

quote:

The road opens again east of Topanga Canyon Boulevard (State Route 27) at Santa Maria Road but remains dirt until it reaches Saltillo Street. Shortly thereafter, the thoroughfare splits into Mulholland Drive and Mulholland Highway. Mulholland Drive terminates at U.S. Highway 101 (the Ventura Freeway), where it becomes Valley Circle Boulevard. Mulholland Highway continues to the southwest until it terminates at State Route 1 (PCH) in Leo Carrillo State Park[1] at the Pacific Ocean coast and the border of Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

One day we will drive the whole thing, but for now, we had to stop at the main dirt part - the last picture there is when it turns to dirt.

the road is also infamous for illegal racing...

in other news, my childhood best buds (2 brothers) are selling their dads house, he passed at the same time my mom did - check out these appliances..

both have been in this place and functioning. since. new.

I wish I had the room.

I had given one of the brothers this bike long ago when he got a job at the studios and needed a studio bicycle to get around

he kept it there at the house, where this photo was taken, now he no longer has the space for it so he just gave it back

its a 1948-9 Dayton - super cool stout bike - it needs a new set of tires and tubes, a tune up and its back in business.

I haven't had a classic bike I really want to ride in awhile, not since I sold this thing:

but the truth is, I still have a ton of old bikes, but I've pretty much let them all go in to disarray because this beast is just incredible

Anyway - big stuff happening this week... stay tuned..

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

It's just getting harder all the time to restore these cars, what we had here in the late 90s/early 00s was really something special - pretty much all those people are gone now.

There have to be other shops. The idea that there are no next-generation machine folks out there - especially in Southern California - blows my mind. They're unknown, and they could destroy your drums...but they have to be there. If not known in your circle, some car clubs out there must know someone.

If I can find a salvage yard on the east coast, in south Jersey, with six 1st-gen Econolines...

LobsterboyX posted:

Anyway....

we keep the flame burning

That we do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, the absolute worst case scenario is you have to basically model up some new drums from scratch and get them manufactured, set up for bearings / races that are trivial to find today like a Timken SET5.

On the other hand, actually doing that is probably easier now than ever before, though I'd expect the finished result to cost more than a disc brake swap.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Don't know much about relining old brake shoes but found these guys in Alberta that apparently work on vintage cars: https://edbrakeclutch.ca/service/reline/ maybe they can help? I believe all brake drums and disk rotors are cast in China now. Maybe find a cast blank roughly your size and have it machined to fit? Bang on Jay Leno's door and tell him your plight. He might help since he fab's parts all the time. I called Canadian Tire, but all they had were brake parts for 1932-35 Auburns and Dusenbergs, no Buicks from that time. :)

Trying to find vintage parts LOL, tried finding a starter for my 1996 Altima with a manual transmission. Dealership said it'd be one year+ wait. Starter shop had one but it turned out it was for the automatic instead. Returned it and they found a "new" one, it lasted two starts then burned itself out. Finally had my old one rebuilt from a guy who worked in his garage from home. Had every machine shop tool crammed in there. Starter shop was amazed I got it rebuilt. "How did he do that? That's a Hitachi starter, I can't get any Hitachi parts anymore!" Just magic I guess.... Now I'm stockpiling Altima starters. Price is firm, I know what I got!

Anyway I guess this is the thread for all old things. Found this pair at a garage sale this summer. Owner found them in the attic of their house & for $40 they're in my collection now. Two old Marx toys. Both still work.

Thinking of getting a 1920-30's coupe and painting it like this with sayings all over it. Someday... someday...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Pluto should have wheels - one underneath at the front (may be an eccentric that dips down?). At least $100-$150 working without the box

The car is easily $200 in that condition without the box, but I love 'em just for the way they look & the history.

What great scores

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 18, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ARTPUP posted:

Bang on Jay Leno's door and tell him your plight. He might help since he fab's parts all the time.
This might not actually be a crazy suggestion. Especially if you show up in that car, he'd probably talk to you.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just show up to Newcomb's Ranch on the weekend and give it a shot

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ARTPUP posted:

Bang on Jay Leno's door and tell him your plight. He might help since he fab's parts all the time.

I know for an absolute fact that Jay and I used the same shop, being that this place was right down the street from his shop, and they had a signed picture of him on the wall, with other celebrity car guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzE4ILFgHzo

As a matter of fact, Jay and I frequent a lot of the same spots, and he lives rather close to me too. When he still had the tonight show, I'd see him nearly every morning (these kind of stories are pretty common among the LA old car guy scene), but he'd be coming down the street and entered the freeway going one way, and I'd exit my street to get on the freeway in the other direction. Back then I drove my pink Cadillac nearly every day, so he'd always honk and wave every morning. A few years later I saw him at a show, and I said "hey Jay, I'm the pink caddy guy you see on ______________ every morning" he stopped what he was doing and said "I KNEW I was going meet you one of these days, I love that car, its as big as an apartment...." and on and on. He also is known to go to this really cool automotive focused book/magazine shop every Saturday morning.

I shared my anger about this with some other friends who live about 20-30 minutes south of me, and they told me that there is still a place down there that does this, and my favorite Buick shop happens to do it as well. So all is not lost, just the convenience of going down the street to have this done.

here's the drum, most of these cars had 2 inch surfaces, but of course my first year top of the line special car has to have these rare rear end bigger brakes.

I went up to visit my "uncle" Frank, the 90 year old Buick parts man, and we searched his whole inventory but came up short on the right drum. however I did come home with something that won't get me on the road.

This is an old chromed valve cover for the big series buicks - and of course it comes with a story, this was on one of the most notorious buick straight 8 racers of the 50s and 60s. Legendary stuff - anyway, this was hanging in Frank's garage and when I asked him he pointed his cane and said "get that sucker down and get it out of here" so I did

slapped some correct stickers on it:

they were never supposed to have stickers on the carb side, but then again, its not supposed to be a chrome valve cover or have an aluminum intake... and I had 2 so...

So after that excitement I hopped in another car with brakes that need to be done - it was super foggy so it made for some cool shots.

This car is really hurting, it needs some quality TLC but I can't do anything about it until the 48 is back on the road and out of my work bay - If some of you remeber I rebuilt the power steering pump, well... it still leaks and wines - I have a place I'm going to send it to that has a lifetime guarantee, they sent me a bleeding guide for this particular pump which is a lot more in depth than I thought it was, so I may try that first, but it won't fix the leak. I also need to get some new lines made for it as well. this also needs new shoes and drums turned. I also found a new non rusty roof for this car, which will be a big deal, but the price is right, I just need to figure out shipping for it. I'd also love to have the interior FIXED, not replaced.

One of the earliest old car mantras I adopted was the fact that its always better to repair something than replace it, so many times people buy new parts for these old cars that never really work right, there are 2 glaring examples of this: aluminum radiators and edelbrock carbs - they never cool right and never run right, because they weren't designed for it /soapbox

anyway, I want to have my original interior fixed not replaced - we used to have a guy that would cover the original interiors in clear vinyl, just like your grandmas sofa, but like with most things, he's long gone.

speaking of long gone... my money...

Since the onset of the pandemic I have been in a pretty tight spot with my work, I have a very particular skillset that depends on the gathering of people, so only in the recent months have I been able to really start working steadily again. it started off slowly, but as the days progressed I've been getting more and more jobs which I'm absolutely thrilled about. Last week I was offered a pretty lucrative contract that is going to take me well in to Q2 of next year. SO I decided to splurge a bit. I teased this before because I've been working on a deal, but today it happened.

story time: A few months back I saw an ad on cl for a belly tank, and as the main topic of this thread, you should know my obsession with aircraft parts, specifically large phallic shaped aluminum tanks. - the ad was based in my own city, just a few blocks from my house - so what bounced in to my mind is "who has the audacity to own a belly tank in my neighborhood without me knowing them" - I sent an email and in a few days I walked in to what I can only describe as my own personal, real life view of "christmas future". This guy, could best be described as a collector, but in fact its so much more. Like me, he has climbed the ladder of collecting, but being a 60 something year old man, he's had a head start on me. We were in to a lot of the same stuff, aviation, automotive, tools and cycles. My jaw was scraping along the floor as I toured this guy's compound. Everything is well organized, grouped and displayed perfectly, an artist in his own sense, many items serve a whimsical purpose. belly tanks, front ends of cars, giant fiberglass animals, original photos of early race cars/drivers, original work from Ed Roth, Von Dutch and other well known hot rod legends... its jaw dropping stuff. No kids, no wife, no one to stop him from having some of his motorcycles displayed in the house.

As I toured the house I said jokingly "do you have any banger speed parts?" - he lead me to another room and uncovered this:

Introduced in 1929, the 4 cylinder flathead ford engine, the "model a" engine, was a workhorse, basically starting the automotive industry as we known it. the aftermarket was also in its infancy. in 1932 the model B engine was released and is a revision of the earlier A motor, they have full pressure oiling systems (the A motors are dipper/splash oiling system), a provision for a fuel pump, and most importantly a balanced crank. A common theme was adding more power to your Ford either for racing or industrial needs. Many started experimenting with adding overhead valves to these motors, which at the time was mostly reserved for very high end cars. These early overhead conversions were very expensive in a post depression era - they aren't common, and very few survive. So to even see one is pretty thrilling. Hot rodders started realizing that these provided the cars with massive amounts of power, essentially early tuners, you will find period built hot rods with these motors, they usually fetch insane money.

So here I am, standing in this garage looking at the rarest of the rare Cragar overhead conversion model B engine

"do you want to sell it?"

so here we are today. The deal came with a catch, I have to buy the 1933 Ford truck that this came with, and the price - far less than what its worth... This guy and I have become friends, and I think he sees in me what he saw in himself, and because of that he gave me a massive gift with the price of this, which I will not reveal. Reproductions of overhead conversions to ford bangers are still made, however its just the head itself, they are all custom made and extremely expensive (in relation to the cars they will live in) and they do not come with anything below the head gasket. As we are nearing the 100 year mark for these cars, the engines are becoming harder to find, and B blocks even less, because these B blocks were introduced in 1932, the same year as the flathead V8.... you can see where thats going.

Anyway - So to get the motor I had to buy the truck, I quickly started circulating it in my friend group and sure enough I found an interested party, so we made a deal on it and we went in 50/50 for this deal, my friend got the truck and other parts, I got this engine. The good thing about old car guys is that a deal is pretty straight forward - he wanted the truck, I wanted the motor, he doesnt care about hot 4 bangers and i dont care about trucks. so this already amazing deal, just got reduced 50%, and without me having to bring this truck carcass home, list it and try to sell it. I'm already stuck on space, so this couldn't have worked out any better.

Here's the owner pulling the truck out with his 29 Chrysler

It hadn't been out of the back yard since 2007.

and here it is

we got everything on the trailer and back home to my house came the motor

here's the original intake for an updraft thats sadly broken

I mean, this kind of stuff is just unobtainable, and if I was to sell this thing by itself, it would make up a large percentage of what I paid for the engine.

As we were loading all this stuff up, more things kept making their way on to the "take" pile - I'll filter some of that stuff in soon, we got back after sundown so I didnt take as many pics as I I should have.

but there's more. My friend mentioned that his 1930s jukebox may need a new home.... as well as this

I may need to get a personal loan.

I don't know if I'm going to sleep much tonight

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Just... whoa. Whoa man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great post. I look forward to these ones like my favorite articles.

OHV Banger going into the roadster then?

You're also becoming victim to the classic hobbyists triangle, money, time, ambition!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:stonklol:

I'd like to have your luck and circle of friends for just one afternoon.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nice!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Wow.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh man, the very definition of a money pit.

It looks fabulous for being 100-years old, but it's missing a ton of parts.

If it is a life-long dream - and I know how you feel about vintage bikes - then yeah, jump in, you know you'll have a 10-year+ project with money gradually being spent.

Also comes down to Mrs LBX. She'll tell you if it's going to suck away too much time, let alone money.

So absolutely a lot of sleepless nights deciding what projects stay or go.

(devil's advocate) Motorcycles take up comparatively little room compared to cars. You could slot it in somewhere, make a list of parts & gradually collect what's needed while beavering away on the '42 and happily wrenching on the other two three. If you get to it, great. If not, you won't lose any money, and may make a tidy profit down the line. But you'd be done project-collecting, at least until you unload a project or three.

If you find yourself chasing your mental tail over this for too long: don't pull the trigger. If you're cogitating on it for that long, then you unconsciously already know it's unwise. Yes, it'll suck to let it go, but look at what you have already. Christ on a cracker.

I mean, I'm getting poo poo (friendly) from my neighbor about the Econoline pickup. He keeps reminding me of the long cool beauty already in the garage.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 22, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Some very cool stuff in this thread.
I tend toward newer stuff, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate vintage hot rodding. After all, that’s where it all started!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Great post. I look forward to these ones like my favorite articles.

OHV Banger going into the roadster then?

You're also becoming victim to the classic hobbyists triangle, money, time, ambition!

Yes, the OHV is going in the roadster!

and I'm already there, I have ambition and money but no time!

PainterofCrap posted:

wisdom about the motorcycle

I'm kinda coming down off the high of that motorcycle - watched some videos, checked out a few previous sales of them - they aren't the end all be all as far as vintage bikes and moreso they are not "ridable" by in any kind of modern day situation. It is something that is really amazing to own, but as far as ridability.. it would be exhibition only, and maybe to the the corner coffee shop on a sunday morning..

I've been out of heavy duty bike collecting for so long, from the outside looking in now - I got absolutely buck wild with the bikes, and even back to the earliest wooden wheel safety bikes. I remember tracking down one of the rarest, oldest bikes I have then bringing it home only to just look at it, and being frustrated that I couldn't ride it because I'm not a little late 1800s bicycle racer. That experience kinda changed me, the bikes I have/had were basically the most extreme deluxe kids bikes ever made, they were never made for adults, and the bikes that were made for adults are very bland in comparison. I sold off pretty much every bike that was uncomfortable to ride, and I fear that this motorcycle will be the same kind of deal. The bicycles I have left are all just the top bikes I owned minus a few I wish I hadn't sold. but my absolute favorite vintage bike to ride is one of the most bland ones I have.

As much as I wish I could drop a 5 figure number on something that was pretty to look at, and then drop more thousands to get it running only to just look at it, and fire up occasionally and or be terrified every time I would attempt to ride it... I have to think rationally about it - pre-schools are expensive around these parts.

Mrs. LBX is so supportive it hurts, sometimes to our own detriment. She's the best.

MrYenko posted:

:stonklol:

I'd like to have your luck and circle of friends for just one afternoon.

Luck is the best way to describe this - this whole thing came along very simply. I saw an ad on craigslist for a belly tank near me, emailed, and the rest is history. I just follow every lead i get - I've got in to some pretty wild poo poo by just following little trails like that.

so to expand on some more stuff that came from that haul:

an awesome old roof rack, he said "these will look amazing on your wagon! as soon as you get them on there bring it over!"

I found new suction cups for it already:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PT4V1Y/ref=crt_ewc_img_oth_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3I460U2KZRUU0

I tried McMaster for a better price, but always kinda come up short

another thing that came with the motor is this LaSalle transmission

the hot rodders choice - "filled with zephyr gears" is what I've heard a lot. I'm assuming its also a syncro transmission - I have NO clue what this bellhousing is, but its not for the model a or a LaSalle (which used Cadillac flathead v8's)

there are also no numbers anywhere on this thing, and it looks like the rear of it has been modified for early ford... so... lots more investigation needs to happen. The trouble is, these transmissions are extremely desirable, except not the ones with the side shift, the top loading ones are the value, these are less, but I've heard a few figures of 5-600 bucks.

could be for sale!

speaking of expensive.

this sucker is still dry docked...

I found drums to the tune of $300 youch! still havent seen photos of them yet, but they will be coming from a scrap yard in TX

in other news - did a nice bench cleaning...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Man, I love getting blasted in the face with fuel while blasting down the street at 50:

My float pin worked its way out and the float dumped in the bowl, thus sending fuel rocketing out of the carb, all over the engine, firewall, windshield and my face. heres the carb I replaced to show what happened

pull the top off to find this

this little screw pin on the right side worked its way off - its actually the rod that the float... floats on...

there you are

back in your hole you go

now I just have to find/wait for a new pin to put it all back together.

thanks for watching my ted talk on antiquated carbs.

I was close to home so my wife and son came to the rescue with my backup carb - did a little swap out on the side of the road. pretty cool 84 year old guy stopped by to help out, got some good stories about his time racing! and how these carbs used to cost 3-5 bucks at pepboys, reconditioned. He raced sprint cars in the 50s and obviously knew what he was talking about. He was just headed to breakfast and decided to stick around while I was figuring it out.

made it home and spent the rest of the day putting up xmas lights

much fun - especially because I had an awful time on friday nights drive

the car was running like absolute trash - and it was determined that I needed to regulate the fuel down from 6lbs to 3 - I found an old regulator I had and "mounted up" with the help of my friends Nate and Warren.

much better:

Once again, time to clean up the plugs and try again. I have a really great run at the end of the month!

in other news! I found drums for my 48, coming from texas.. we'll see if that works!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I was looking for a cheap air compressor and found one that fits in nicely with the thread on Facebook Marketplace.

I have an old 1930s vertical compressor out of a gas station that lives in my parents barn and I love how quiet it is compared to modern compressors. So when I saw this I figured I'd take a risk.

Listing Pics

Got there and found out it was in an 1850s fieldstone basement with super narrow stairs so I took pics before pulling the motor and pump so it would be easier to get up the stairs. Haggled the seller down to $40 plus he helped me carry the tank up the stairs.

The cover plate is a bit sketchy

But the cloth wires inside were sketchier than the plate

Love the 1930s logo on the Capacitor sticker

Penn brand regulator and decompression valve

Archive has the 1947 Devilbiss catalog

I don't actually know that it's a 1947 production unit for sure but once I wiped the tank off I found this hidden under the dust and grime.

They also had the 1947 price list. $150 is around $1850 adjusted for inflation.

Googled an old Delta manual that covers the westinghouse motor

Had a 220 15amp plug but was wired for 110 so I switched the buss bars as directed

Rewired using modern shielded 12ga hidden in the original jacket

Exhaust valve was full of carbon that I cleaned up

Changed the oil, oiled the motor bearings, cleaned the regulator contacts and it runs great

All cleaned up after wiping all the oil I spilled off

Kitted out with the finest in Harbor Freight accessories

It's definitely not going to win any efficiency awards or be OSHA certified unless I make a belt cage for it but I'm pretty confident it'll keep putting along for at least a few more decades.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 2, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those old Westinghouse motors are essentially immortal as long as you don't mis-wire them, and the pump itself is rebuildable. Solid find!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sweet get! Style and substance. Repairable.

The wiring reminds me of the 1939 GE refrigerator I scored years ago that now resides in my garage.

During clean-up & prep to re-paint the case, I went to replace the plug and found that fabric-sheathed insulated wire was falling apart - whatever they were using (rubber?) to insulate the wires was brittle as hell; wound up replacing it all the way to the relay, which was helpful later, when the original relay burned out & was replaced with a modern, "solid state" unit.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

PainterofCrap posted:

Sweet get! Style and substance. Repairable.

The wiring reminds me of the 1939 GE refrigerator I scored years ago that now resides in my garage.

During clean-up & prep to re-paint the case, I went to replace the plug and found that fabric-sheathed insulated wire was falling apart - whatever they were using (rubber?) to insulate the wires was brittle as hell; wound up replacing it all the way to the relay, which was helpful later, when the original relay burned out & was replaced with a modern, "solid state" unit.

I believe some of this cloth coated wire can contain asbestos.
Spray it down with water or WD40 or something before messing with it. That way the dust doesn't go into the air, you can simply remove the wires, wipe up any dust goo, and throw out your gloves.
I don't think asbestos dust mixed with water or oil is particularly dangerous, just bag and contain before it dries out.

I do the same thing when i'm working on old brakes and clutches and do not know. Better overcautious than dead.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Love the posts. So much hidden history. Can't believe what you can find in California. Garage sales there must be like "Yeah I got a '48 Tucker owners manual, front radiator from a '30 ford, and this old wooden airplane propeller - $100 bucks & you can take it all." Up in Canada, you'll find people trying to sell rusted junk for premium prices. 15 grand for a four door '58 chevy that's been sitting on the ground for 20 years. Sheesh!

That Indian bike is cool, but I'd also be worried about somebody breaking into my garage, stealing it and selling the parts. I hear a few stories of how people have lost their vintage motorcycles that way.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ARTPUP posted:

Love the posts. So much hidden history. Can't believe what you can find in California. Garage sales there must be like "Yeah I got a '48 Tucker owners manual, front radiator from a '30 ford, and this old wooden airplane propeller - $100 bucks & you can take it all." Up in Canada, you'll find people trying to sell rusted junk for premium prices. 15 grand for a four door '58 chevy that's been sitting on the ground for 20 years. Sheesh!

That Indian bike is cool, but I'd also be worried about somebody breaking into my garage, stealing it and selling the parts. I hear a few stories of how people have lost their vintage motorcycles that way.

i was at an estate sale the other day that had some sort of ~30s front axle with leaf springs and some unidentifiable parts (in p bad shape) strewn about. you def can run into some deals if you're not looking for something too popular

i ended up getting an ancient battery load tester, a harbor freight engine stand, and a handful of random sockets/yankee screwdriver bits for like $40

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I had a whole big thing written out about cloth covered wire that contains asbestos, and i fell asleep and my laptop batt died -

not all cloth wire contains asbestos, more than any other, its found in home electrics - as in the wires that go in your wall, they are typically loom wires, and there is a white inner casing and a darker outer casing, the wires shown on the bad rear end compressor do not fit that description. just do a quick google, it has a very distinct look, but on the other hand, better safe than sorry!

in other words, I've been very busy:

quote:

It was quite a day for me in the sense that I actually have a chance to right the wrongs of my past, and to really understand how reinvented my career has become.

There's a very specific personality that does this work, and as I saw these old contacts they looked at me like I was a ghost, one girl even said "what the hell are you doing here?". I got a text mid day from one of the only people I got along with back then, she wasn't there at these meetings, but she said they were all talking about me in their slack group - my new boss is very high up, thus making me high up, perhaps even higher than anyone in my previous position, and I think that irked them.

Back then they would tease me because of what I was in to like "hey lobsterboyx, watch the game this weekend?, whats that, you missed it because you were at the sock hop?" - dumb jock poo poo like that constantly, I'd rib them too,. Today, almost instantly, one by one, I watched them (at least I think) take a gulp and welcome me back as a senior to them.

Anyway, this is the only place I feel comfortable sharing something like this so..

because of this job, I've been spending money like its going out of style, and I got my 3rd Jewish Space Laser positioning chip installed last Friday and escaped with almost no side effects other than some fatigue. After watching a few friends have some bad reactions earlier in the week I was pretty relieved.

anyway! I picked up an amazing pair of vintage hanging lamps

these are awesome "primitive" ranch style lamps that have been hanging on a a family friends back porch since the 60's, but they are much older than that, the house got sold recently, and I've been helping them get rid of stuff. These too have cloth wiring, that needs to be addressed.

I have to re-wire these things, and I'm really trying to get my wife to let me put these in our library, but she's not really in to them, we'll find a happy medium

I also picked up and original spec top for my roadster:

I have a bit of work to do with it

theres some old tutorial on how to chop these correctly chop these things, I just have to get in to it - most likely I can really drop in when my 42 leaves the garage.

oh yeah, im an idiot - I bought another whizzer.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You’re only an idiot if you paid too much.

e;

VVV WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 12, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I haul war implements with my buicks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm assuming you didn't have any problems with tailgaters on that drive.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, I haven't been doing poo poo except for working.

https://i.imgur.com/4IubHgX.mp4

I fired this heap up before the big rain rolls in tomorrow - its running good even from a cold start, so that's refreshing.

There was a big show last weekend, the night before was raining, so I didn't have time to prep the car, my buddy called me and said he wanted to drive his daily, so I just said screw it and slept in - when I woke up I felt regretful for not going, so instead, I just cruised around town in the wagon.

as you can see, the fact that this car now lives outside is really making the interior age quickly. I havent't been able to devote time to the 42 buick, so im planning on just farming it out to someone to do the floors for me - get it out of my hair for awhile.

I did a bit more fooling around with the new top I got

the long story short on this is that I'm going to have to remove the canvas from it. theres a broken bow up in there and while I could repair it with the canvas on, but that wouldn't be the "right" way, and I have to modify this thing to get it to fit. I really do want to keep the canvas so I hope I can find a decent top guy that can make it look good once I have the irons fitting right.

I'm on a real kick with these whizzers - I've been talking to a few people about rebuilding the motors I have and my goal is to have 2 running bikes next year

I decided to do the right thing and NOT rattle can this thing, so its going off to a buddy's place for a pro paint job.

here's what it should look like..

I think I'm going to paint the tank to match as well. and - maybe do a bit of 40s looking custom paint. we'll see.

I'm also wanting to get my other one going

I'm still neglecting my 48, but I finally found the right drums, the trouble is that they need some real help

If I ever get time again, I'm going to take these over to the chem stripper and see how that does..

my wife is super cool and gets me nice things for xmas..

AND - I'm spending some time cleaning and oiling my 1920s 7' long gator skin...

this came from the same place as the cannon. I wound up using some verathane on the cannon, and its looking like its holding up well.

and I just like sitting in here..

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CHILDREN OK

What's up with the new front drums? Spot o rust?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

CHILDREN OK

What's up with the new front drums? Spot o rust?

those are the new front drums I got for the 48 after discovering my hubs were hosed - I paid a lot for these "good used" ones but they are pretty rough. I've been draggin my feet on cleaning them up.

moving right along...

Decided to get this old bugger out - the last time I had it out, I had a major meltdown, I fixed it and drove it home, haven't touched it since then - well today the remnants of what happened last time showed themselves.

https://i.imgur.com/W2BArgE.mp4

up to the top we go:

https://i.imgur.com/frlT7AO.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Am I misremembering, or was the issue you had with your brake drums that the integrated hub is all hogged out where the bearing seats into it?

Can the drum and hub be separated?