Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

If you're still considering V8 options, my first thought is a reverse-flow nailhead. Straight eight would be cooler if you can fit it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

I have a rather unhealthy obsession with Kennedy tool boxes - for those that don't know, Kennedy is still in business and specializes in tool boxes for machinists (Ex. Lots and lots of drawers) They have been in business since 1911 and make a killer product - they are known for their beautiful felt lined drawers, krinkle finish and silky smooth drawer action.

Are they good? I like how they look, and their layout, but I've been disappointed in the drawer slides every time I try one out. And the metal gauge always feels flexy and inadequate. Lean into a drawer and try to close it, and the slides kinda crunch and stick, rather than the effortless glide I would expect from a high quality USA-made box.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Could be due to lack of maintenance, yeah. Most of the ones I've had hands-on experience with have been in surplus stores. However, my uncle was a machinist in the 60s and 70s, and then programmed CNC tools for the rest of his career; he had one too, and IIRC I even had to push the longer drawers closed from both sides; a simple press with a finger on the face of the drawer would just jam it up.

I'll take your word for it that this is not representative of their quality, though; if I get a chance to pick one up for cheap enough, I'll give it a serious consideration. Lobsterboy, I really do respect your opinion on these sorts of things; you have an eye for hidden value.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wrar posted:

I know there is a lot of half joking here but modern child seats are huge leaps forward in safety. If you can emulate the LATCH system in modern cars it would add to the safety factor.

Nah, you know the rules.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Previa_fun posted:

I'm going to assume the baby in a classic thing is a joke but just in case it's not don't loving drive your child around in an old car buy something safe for god's sake. I bet you're a super good driver who never makes mistakes but all it takes is for one distracted driver or drunk to wander into your lane to ruin your life.

Smacking your head on a steel dash builds character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

huzzah! I finished the neverending install of the elusive dual carb setup!

enhance

enhance

enhance!

so it didn't make that "omg its soooo fast" feeling, but it did really make the throttle more snappy, and it did definitely give it a bit more power - by snappy, i mean snappy for a 4' long inline engine, and by more power I mean its able to move a 6k lb livingroom on wheels down the road at a somewhat modern speed. where things really got interesting was on the highway, when you think of a 40s car you don't really think about freeways, but I really am shocked at how great the car is - now, my 1954 wagon, which is 6 years newer than this boat is capable of 100 mph, it stops well and generally feels more like a normalish car, the 48 for years has felt like a dog, if you were in a hurry and you were behind me leaving a stoplight you'd be angry. Now, it feels like it can get out of its way a bit better-

This owns super fuckin' hard. Those aircleaner housings are classy as hell, too.

I kinda figured a straight eight would have all the torque in the world, and just run out of steam quick because that long crank wouldn't want to spin at any kind of speed, but it sounds like I was mistaken. I'm glad it's got some go now, are you going to drive it more?