Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, this should be good.

Is the intent to build something that's a very focused replica of what was around in the fifties, or do you have your own preferences that you'll be incorporating?

How many concessions to modernity/safety are required to be allowed to run at the Bonnet illegal events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

I want it to be as vintage as possible - the rules have changed a lot since the 40s and there is a lot more cage work to be done - the early examples of lakesters were all open top, most built these days have serious cages, aero and other modern tech behind them - I'm working on getting a physical copy of the rule book to sift through while I'm on the shitter - The good thing about this is that there are 2 of us working on this, so there is a possibility of actually running one or both of them for real - there's plenty of other events that don't require the same amount of safety equipment to participate, including TROG, RPM Nationals, Antique Nationals ect - however most of those are drag races and nothing even close to LSR kind of stuff.
Nice, nice. Just remember: The purpose of reading rulebooks is to be the guy that makes someone mutter "Oh, you bastard..." and rewrite next year's.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I suppose there's two approaches you could take - building it as per how it would have been done in period, or building it as you would if given free reign in the present day, just restricting yourself to only using donor components up to, say, 1955.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Congrats on the baby! Won't it be weird to have something that new in your house?
:discourse:

joat mon posted:

And curious about the significance of the c-rats.
Steve1989 is living in his basement. "Alright, mmm, nice, yeah."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, a modern childseat, particularly if you can retrofit a car with mounts for this LATCH system (I assume that's the US equivalent of ISOFIX?) shouldn't be inherently unsafe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blindjoe posted:

My 2 year old found some old massage oil that we got at prenatal and decided that should be spread all around his room during a nap time. As mad as that made mom, it was our fault for not realizing that kids don't understand that you shouldn't spread oil around your room.
I don't even want to think about how difficult it must be to catch a well-lubricated toddler.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

Update:

I sold this to Steve1989MREinfo of YouTube fame...
Lol, called it!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A lot of stuff like that the gears are a press-fit on the shaft, and if that goes, they'll just spin uselessly, which is good in its own way as it acts as a torque limiter and it's probably easier to fix than sourcing replacements for stripped gears.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you put the filter bowl at 90 degrees to where it is now, to make it a bit closer to the bulkhead? Or still not enough?

Spacer for the carb to raise it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, if the frame is ok, it's just wood.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lobster, here's your POV filming rig:

Take a generic GoPro type thing, and zip tie it to the underside of the brim of a cheap old baseball cap. Yes, the camera is upside down (so the edge of the brim isn't in shot), but you can flip the video clips instantly in any editing software.

It doesn't actually intrude into your field of view at all, and it means that the camera sees exactly what you do, no height difference like a chest or helmet mount.

It really is just two holes punched through the cap and a zip tie holding it on.

There's enough slip in it that the zip tie doesn't need to be removed, you just slide the camera out if you need to change batteries or cards.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Think this might appeal to you, my Dad picked up a book a while ago, which is a compendium of tips and tricks garage owners wrote in to a trade publication about 100 years ago, so lots of interesting period comments on how to do workarounds or fix things, as well as some insights into the contemporary working culture with repair shops etc.

I keep meaning to figure out how to scan in a copy, but it turns out it's public domain, and available as a pdf! Enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/automobilerepai00worlgoog/page/n13/mode/2up

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Having 2 jacks is handy - so buy yourself a nice new one and then turn your current jack into number 2 (after rebuilding it at your leisure)
Yep, until you start running out of physical storage space, treat buying new kit as an "and" not an "or" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Am I misremembering, or was the issue you had with your brake drums that the integrated hub is all hogged out where the bearing seats into it?

Can the drum and hub be separated?