Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

LBX, I just read this thread from start to finish. It took a while but your stuff is always worth it.

I’m super jealous of the SoCal rummage scene. We go to Santa Barbara pretty frequently and my FIL and I always end up on runs to find old stuff for our projects. He finally had enough stuff stashed in his mom’s attic to drive down from Alaska, buy a trailer, fill it, and drive back. I haven’t quite gotten to that point *yet*.

I’m really surprised to see the Caddy gone! I remember when that thing got pinstriped. But I feel you on projects feeling like more of a liability than an asset.

Congrats on the family growing again! Your kid is super cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Grown rear end adult snickering over here.

...And then the yolk dribbles down your chin.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

At first I thought you were going to do the offroad thing and just have plastic door cards, which would 100% not match that car. I bet the vinyl will look good.

LobsterboyX posted:

I also decided I'm going to reproduce this sticker - started the design work on it this afternoon:

We will all buy copies of that sticker if you sell them.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Does the '42 engine have poured babbits, or machined bearing shells?

The Stovebolt had babbits for another 10 years so I’d say there’s good (bad) odds here.

On the plus side, LA is probably one of only a few places where you can find someone with the know-how to do them.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Hazard Fraught Tools 2-ton engine hoist. It’s been crazy handy.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I bet a welder could build it back up and then it could be machined perfect again.

How much that would cost is a very different question.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Another neighbor came over and said "hey I rent space from this lady and her husband was in to old ww2 jeeps and tanks and stuff, she gave me this box, you want it?"

I am way, way behind on this thread (I’m so sorry, it’s worth reading every single post! Mental note: at page 25), but I just saw the box and had to comment - those totes are awesome, and if you come across any more I’d be very interested in a couple. I kill plastic totes sliding them in and out of vehicles, plus the opaque totes won’t show random tools.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I believe that style is actually an aluminum medical chest, but yes it is surplus. Unfortunately I live way off the beaten path and everyone wants $250 just for the shipping to send me one. At that point I’d rather fly down and meet the legend himself at cruise night.

Speaking of the legendary LBX- awesome to read about Pebble Beach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Big Taint is a scholar and a gentleman.