Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Are they good? I like how they look, and their layout, but I've been disappointed in the drawer slides every time I try one out. And the metal gauge always feels flexy and inadequate. Lean into a drawer and try to close it, and the slides kinda crunch and stick, rather than the effortless glide I would expect from a high quality USA-made box.

I'm wondering if this is an era thing, or a lack of maintenance thing. My dad has a Kennedy and I feel the same way about it, but I highly doubt it has ever seen a lick of grease on any drawer slide since it was new (which I would guess to be the mid 70s at oldest).

Of course it's still a drat sight better than my cheap mid 2000s Craftsman shitbox.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

big things planned for this little mill...

Boost it to the moon? Boost it to the moon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

You eat sixteen ribs, and what do you get?

:golfclap:

We just had a dairy start using glass bottles again a few years ago. I suspect they're using similar recipies for their flavored milks because they're the best goddamn things ever.

It's expensive, but the flavored milks are worth it as a treat, and even the regular milk is cheaper than some of the organic labeled poo poo in plastic bottles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, that's a name I haven't seen in way too long.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Congratulations, and awesome photos as usual.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Congrats on the baby! Won't it be weird to have something that new in your house?

:golfclap:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TheFonz posted:

Thanks boys- The more I think about it and with what you have said I think I'm going to start looking at older trucks. <3

:getin:

The only problem with old trucks is that they've been popular enough for long enough that finding a reasonably priced one can be hard. It's not 20 years ago when you could pick up a squarebody as a much cheaper way to have a big GM V8 up front and smoking tires out back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

as far as I got because my fragile southern California physique was cold

As an Arizonan I deeply identify with this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Power steering leaks are awful. I'm sure I'll be finding pockets of caked on grime from my C10's leaky steering gear for the rest of my life, and it's been fixed far longer than it was leaking for.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

I made the choice to go 12 volt with it - which is not stock, but I'm honestly tired of dealing with 6 volt cars. I know its not factory, but I really want to enjoy this car and I know I'm going to be kicking myself, just like I'm doing with my roadster - i also ordered a pertronix kit for this thing - once again, not stock, but I hate points with a passion

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making changes like this to get/keep a car driving instead of as a non-running "but it's 100% correct" museum piece. There are good reasons that electrical systems jumped from 6V to 12V, and ignitions from points to electronic, very quickly in both cases.

Same re: E85 or E100, if that ever becomes more widely available / more affordable than actual gasoline. You'll just need a fuel system like you were doubling the horsepower of your stock setup.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Those carts are amazing.

It almost feels weird saying this about a serving cart, but that's some goddamn metal artistry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

We did these in Boy Scouts but stuck a sausage link in there and called them "glory holes" because we were a crass troop and it's the height of comedy when you're 14.

Grown rear end adult snickering over here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chrisgt posted:

So sometimes the big orange trailers prevail, sometimes they kinda suck (and i don't like surge brakes, but that's a personal issue).

Same, now that I own a trailer with electric trailer brakes, I don't want to drive anything else ever again - but all the rentals are surge brake only.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can you stick a (slightly more) modern wax pellet style thermostat in there? Seems like you might be able to find one the right size.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, the absolute worst case scenario is you have to basically model up some new drums from scratch and get them manufactured, set up for bearings / races that are trivial to find today like a Timken SET5.

On the other hand, actually doing that is probably easier now than ever before, though I'd expect the finished result to cost more than a disc brake swap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd fuckin count it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think a lot of it is up to what traffic expects a vehicle to be capable of at this point. The front disc brakes that I put on my C10 22 years ago were functionally the same as the brakes that GM had been putting on trucks and SUVs up until the year prior. But add another couple decades of electronic controls and greatly increased rotor / pad / caliper sizes, and now even compact cars and SUVs come with more powerful brakes. All this adds up to if I'm driving anything but my Canyon, I'm more or less parking it in the right lane and letting traffic deal with it.

The upside of driving so long with "adequate" brakes is that my driving style is very dependent on coasting down, so the brakes on the Canyon still look drat near new after nearly 60,000 miles :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize it wouldn't be "original" but I have to imagine that in this era of DIY CAD and SendCutSend it would be feasible to come up with adapters to run a conventional driveshaft if needed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Could be fun to mod one of those mockup blocks for this, or if you're a masochist, hollow out an otherwise-unusable cast iron or aluminum block.

I like this idea. Bonus points for blocks with extra inspection holes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'm pretty sure I've driven through here in GTA V.

You definitely have. As someone who has never lived in LA but has spent a lot of time there on vacation, Rockstar did an incredible job nailing the feel of Los Santos, to the point where I got major uncanny valley vibes the first time I made the turn out of the tunnel on the game's version of where I10 meats CA1 in Santa Monica.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I highly doubt it. If you poked one in with the engine off you could probably use it to verify your theory that the flywheel timing mark isn't oriented properly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Nothing like spending years solving problems I either created unwittingly or forgot about doing.

This is gonna hit home for all of us who have a vehicle we've owned for decades.

Darchangel posted:

So, on the timing issue. TDC is fairly trivial to find. What's stopping you from making a pointer and your own mark on the front crank pulley where you can see it?

Also this. I'm seriously considering this for the Opel because not only does it have the same bullshit "the timing mark is on the flywheel", but it's also apparently set up so that you time it off of cylinder 4, not 1. :wtc:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

boxen posted:

Do they have the same TDC, just firing on alternate revolutions?

This got me thinking since you're right, on an I4 cylinders 1 and 4 should always be at TDC at the same time so it shouldn't matter which of those two you time it on.

Apparently it's some bullshit from the FSM that was badly translated from German, because GM is always gonna GM.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That Cord and the detail on it - goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Is that a crack in the block at the top of the picture? It looks like a cracked block to me...

That looks too straight/smooth to be a crack, it looks like someone gouged the deck slightly while cleaning a head gasket off.

I suspect it would be harder for the mains, but does nobody make a set of conrods that are stock fitment except set up for modern bearing shells instead of cast babbit? Surely there's a production engine in the last hundred years that has a close-enough bearing size available.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Can you smell this picture?

I can but it's not my childhood - it's my wife's. If we ever end up at a place that has any of these we usually still end up buying at least one from every machine

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it not an option to resleeve the block without cutting the block itself even further? Granted, this is on a larger engine that I think is sleeved even when new, but they just machine the sleeve down to paper-thin and knock it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-CT3lXD4Xs&t=205s

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

With these its about cost to benefit ratio - I have 3 of these motors, this one is the worst off of the 3, considering you can buy a running engine for <$500, and with better options like the "B" motor, even at the $100 I listed this for is kinda cheeky - the clutch, flywheel, cam and lifters in this engine could be worth that, but otherwise - its almost not worth anyones time unless a guy would just want to gently caress around with one of these engines - I also got another offer for 2 more free motors of unknown origin... I've said it before but I don't really want to become a collector of these things, as fun as they are, I really just want to build one or two very nice heavily built blocks, one overhead, one flathead.

Makes sense if they're still that plentiful and cheap to get your hands on.

NoSpoon posted:

I’d just make it with three bits of timber. Two short ones with the end cut at an angle, sistered to a longer one behind.

This. Closest thing to a downside is that you'd use slightly more lumber and the stand would be slightly wider to accommodate it, but that'd be way less time than forming a notch like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kids heal incredibly quickly from that sort of thing, but a good ortho is still worth it.

On that head stud, that seems like a perfect time to use a helicoil.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That 330' strip is interesting, because... yeah, that's short. But that's still more than long enough to figure out if you launched worth a drat or not, and all but the fastest cars are going to still be doing highway-or-slower speeds at that point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Glass-bottle milk / flavored milk is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Broguieres has been pretty much the only glass bottle milk available in SoCal... nearly my whole life, it is by far the best in every way - Growing up there was always a bottle of this on hand, in my mom's words "it just tastes better" - Some residents see it a bit extravagant because of the cost, but what most fail to see is that if you return the bottle, you get a huge chunk of money back, making it equally as priced, and just beyond the best quality. Their chocolate milk may as well be a milk shake and is the best I've ever had. Its a real cult thing, I've seen these bottles in the homes of the extremely wealthy and just normal people alike. I grew up on it, and my son is too. A few years back there was literally a milk man service that I subscribed to for a good few years that supplied this milk and other fresh top shelf dairy stuff. Of course I'd be having a milk man... Sadly, my home was on the outskirts of his serviceable route and he had to drop me. I loved it, every bit of it. gave me a serious domesticated history/good times happy feeling boner.

Glass bottled milk was already gone from most store shelves around here when I was a kid, but one of the few remaining local dairies made a big push in 2015 to buy/restore the infrastructure they needed to start offering it again. They do the refundable deposit on the bottle as well, but even after accounting for that their half gallons are still significantly more expensive than a plastic jug gallon, so I basically never get their regular milk. The flavored milks are worth the extra, especially the orange milk.

bennyfactor posted:

Of course someone with the milk gimp avatar would say that...