Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You nailed it in the photos of Wile E. Coyotes car. I would have been tempted to leave it for a day, then a week, turns into two weeks and then indefinitely until I got complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TheFonz posted:

Thanks boys- The more I think about it and with what you have said I think I'm going to start looking at older trucks. <3

Edit: Oh gently caress. Congrats on the cute rear end baby!

I can reccomend one to avoid as a first project.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I wanted a set of the pliers wrenches for so long it should come as no surprise that I was disappointed. Probably compounded by the fact that I didn't buy them with any sense of need, they were just on sale. My main gripe is they're hard to adjust. When they're at the right size they're good and fine, but I'm very partial to the locking adjustable wrench.

The Cobras look amazing but I have a set of Irwins that are good enough and I can't imagine them being that much better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the spyder posted:

Did you get the Alligator fixed position set? Where you have to clock the handle just right to change positions?
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8801250-10-Inch-Alligator-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2VQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1BEWG95SCG1O1

Return them for these if you can- the Cobra's are a god send. I've never found anything easier and I've used Channel Lock/Irwin/Craftsman.
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8701250-10-Inch-Cobra-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2H0/ref=pd_bxgy_2/132-1820396-1695154?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000X4J2H0

No to what you said but I was wrong on a key point. I have the Wiha ones, and you have to open them to set them. Looks like the Knipex works on a button, which is much nicer. The problem with opening to set is its unclear what the final closed size will be and they end up being too loose or the handles too far apart.

Why the hell did I get these when I knew I wanted the Knipex? Must have been a sale. I even watched a YouTube review....

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ought ten posted:

Hold on, this is a real tool? The first few posts I really thought it was a photoshop prank inside joke, like jackalope crossed with turn signal fluid.

https://youtu.be/aQNkeugaAMc

They're especially great for soft materials like brake line fittings. The downside is the bulk. They don't fit everywhere.

I used my pair to fold over a flange on sheet metal too, with a washer clamped in it to set the depth.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hrmm have you considered putting it on the street with a free scrap sign on it?

That trailer looks bad. I'd rather build one from scratch than fix it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LobsterboyX posted:

show me!

yeah, thats a pretty weird one to me too - I really just need to go look at the drat thing again.

the biggest problem is storage, so if it lives at my house then there would be no choice to keep it outside :(

the thing lives about a block from my house - I dont have a hitch for it so our plan is to use a D- ring to at least get it to my house, then it may go to my other friends house and get the full work on the tongue done (if I even make it that far with it, AND if my friend who will do the work on it survives covid)

Tote it home like a rickshaw.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What does it mean to be 6x2? The six part I get...

Also what would be the purpose of grinding off the name?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

6x 2 barrel carbs.

Ahhhhh, since there was the one throttle plate I thought those were single barrel carbs. I see now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Dang the lettering is cool on that pulley.

And lol if you think that's a bad coating of oil and sludge. I pulled 3/4" thick off of my transfer case. Basically everything on my motor was scrape first, cleaner second.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Air bags. You should be able to find some that clamp onto the axle tube. If it's got coil springs, it's even easier.
Then you need to find a period trailer that's still built well enough for modern highways. Not that trailers have changed all that much. Just something kind of, I don't know... simple? Just enough to handle the roadster, basically.

The trailer in the first photo is pretty drat good. Put wheel skirts on the fenders and paint it a complementary color, with pinstriping.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Awesome find and interesting writeup. Without your knowledge I'd have no idea it was rare at all, which is probably why that might be the only one.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making changes like this to get/keep a car driving instead of as a non-running "but it's 100% correct" museum piece. There are good reasons that electrical systems jumped from 6V to 12V, and ignitions from points to electronic, very quickly in both cases.

Same re: E85 or E100, if that ever becomes more widely available / more affordable than actual gasoline. You'll just need a fuel system like you were doubling the horsepower of your stock setup.

I used to like purity but now I am fully on board with this. Upgrade whatever it takes to keep the car enjoyable. If it doesn't feel safe to drive on the original brakes, swap it. If the ignition is unreliable, swap it.

My mechanical fuel pump worked well but I trust the electric one more. The 37 amp alternator was fine but the modern one hasn't let me down yet. The incandescent lights were good, but I know everyone can see me with full LEDs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i guess back when all the alternator had to power was the spark plugs and the lights that was enough. weird

Exactly, blower fan, lights, wipers, spark and radio is the maximum draw. Radio was a single speaker too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That garage as an impressive layering of cool poo poo. Interested in how you think two cars fit there, but I saw my neighbor cram three wide in his two car garage with dollies so what do I know.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

It was one of the signs of greatness in a culture: the development of a rich tradition of industrial art. This country used to produce beautifully designed and executed products: tools, trains, towel racks - nothing was too complicated, advanced, or mundane to be missed by the hand of an engineer with the heart of an artist. And solidly made. I have 75-year-old gardening tools because someone cared about quality and their name on a product. Even cheap 'economy' tools were built to last.

I have shown and demonstrated to my son, again and again throughout his life: here is a tool. Here is a simple thing: but look at the time care and attention that went into making something that was durable, beautiful, and worked...and still works. This was the America of my youth - at the very end of this golden age. This culture is not dead, although seriously diminished. It was pervasive and everywhere; it can be again.

This is like a closing statement of a Hunter S Thompson essay. It's good.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My parents old garage looked like a two car from the street but was tiny. We estimated it was built in the 1920s, newer than the house. The doors were horizontal sliding doors that wrapped around to the wall, reducing usable space inside even further.

It did fit a Model T Touring and a Willys Jeep with room to spare.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

"Generics" have pretty much been replaced by house brands at more or less the same price point.
There was something clean about the basic font and white packaging, though.

I thought that was one in the same always? What was a generic that wasn't a house brand?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You should find some kind of class or textbook for electricity to learn fundamentals. Understanding how voltage, amperage and reistance relate to each other would be a boost to your problem solving.

Examples, the switches won't matter since they just close a circuit. Chances are they'd handle 10x the current with no problem. Bulbs definitely will need to change since the increase in volts will double the current to them and they can't handle that. I would expect you're right on the horn. The solenoid on the other hand should be fine, double the voltage but half the current, and a quick Google says the starter can handle the higher voltage, but predictably will get hotter and spin faster.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

The only ways that the switches/solenoid might care about voltage is that when it's "off" (open circuit) it needs to be able to hold the extra voltage difference without arcing, and the insulation between its inner workings and ground wherever it's mounted needs to hold the voltage.

If we were talking about a difference of 10x or 100x I would expect they would need to change. Since it's just 2x, it's probably fine. I'd hope the safety factor in these sorts of designs are much more than 2x.

I was rolling that around in my head as to what would be the limiting factor for switches and relays.

Basically to me: if electricity passes through it, 12v will be fine. If it uses electricity to do something, things will change, not necessarily in a bad way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

i think chrisgt means the coil in the starter solenoid that pulls the contact closed. he's right about the extra power draw causing accelerated wear, but i was assuming that the duty cycle of the starter is so brief that it's not going to hurt anything. i could be very wrong about that tho

That seems to be the common wisdom online. It'll run a little faster and hotter, but not too bad.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

I did a thing today.

I'm not sure why it's in the thread it's in at all but I like it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Top notch weekend. Great post!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like how you've boiled installing a roof down to one activity. Is it just popping some spot welds and lifting it off?

What's up with your current roof that you are seeking a replacement?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Valt posted:

Hey Lobster I will ask here since you probably have some knowledge. But have you ordered anything from Ecklers lately? I don't know normally use them for parts. But I ordered something like the 19th of last month. Got an order confirmation but never got a shipping confirmation. Tried calling them several times after hours on hold I just gave up. I also tried to email their customer service but they have not responded in weeks.

I had a similar experience, I got half my order with no detail on if they had the other half. I half rear end followed up and eventually it came about a month later. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great post. I look forward to these ones like my favorite articles.

OHV Banger going into the roadster then?

You're also becoming victim to the classic hobbyists triangle, money, time, ambition!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Painter of rap searching for them table and chairs like:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh man I used to drive the International to work intermittently, back before I even knew how bad of a shape a lot of it was in. I can barely imagine doing it now down Denver traffic. And it's way more comfortable now, with the seat redone and a Bluetooth radio.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LobsterboyX posted:

Im about to spend a lot of money - thank god none of you guys live in LA and are in to vintage poo poo, those photos are filled with gold and I'm going to go get them

LOL I am dying at that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey pal, they just added a 32 roadster to Gran Turismo... And obviously I'd like to tribute yours in the game. Is there a svg or any other design file of this cat on the side?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Thank you so much Zeno. It really came out! It wasn't until your post I realized they're not the same. I can't say I have much of an eye for the differences in roadsters.

Now I'm gonna go hoon around in it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
There's a PS4 version!

Edit: it's just so fun to cosplay.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 28, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A used ps4 looks to be about $300 and the game (on a disc) is $60.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/gran-turismo-7-launch-edition---playstation-4/330728.html

To race online you need a Playstation plus membership which is about $60 a year.

The car is included in the newest free update, you just have to earn enough racing in game to afford it. It'll set you back 450k credits which is a lot but you can earn it pretty quick.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Edit, I saw the video anyway. What a break!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Nothing like spending years solving problems I either created unwittingly or forgot about doing.

It's poetry. Put that on a tin sign and hang it up in the workshop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Not me getting a little emotional reading that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

She is your 'colleague.'

Very jealous. Have a blast (while networking) & post as many photos as you can get away with. I'll be over here in NJ, welding & bondo-ing in the high heat & humidity.

Dreams of salt, indeed.

My project manager introduced me as his colleague at a professional function when at the time I saw him as the boss and me as the employee and it made me feel nice. I do that nearly always now with the person who reports to me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hell yeah excited for your find!

Can we talk about those grips though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Your garage reminds me of an old Italian womans kitchen. It's not designed in any way that am architect, amateur, or shop tech would put it together. It's too small. It's too crowded with things that aren't tools or parts. The lighting isn't powerful enough and it's too darkly colored. Yet it's been molded to your form and your skills, and the product that comes out of there is beautiful.