Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ground floor, motherfuckers. Godspeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You were like 10 minutes from me on the Cape. Heritage Gardens is a really nice spot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've used and been around Kennedy toolboxes both newer and older for years. They were the Cadillac of toolchests decades ago, but they don't hold up to modern rails and slides. Sure, they're old-school awesome, and I love the special drawer on lots of them specifically for the Machinery's Handbook, but I'd never spend big money on one now. Even well-lubricated, cleaned, and with an even drawer load, they don't slide like roller-bearings. My HF 44" has far nicer slides, drawer detents, and a paintjob you can actually clean easily. Used, maybe if it was in good shape and inexpensive, but they often fetch high prices due to the nostalgia factor. Hey, I get it, there's a reason that old cars are worth money, and it's not because they're faster or easier to drive or better handling than new cars. You gotta compare things within their era.

Now, Lista/Vidmar? Now we're talkin'. I've got a Lista from the 70's that was used in a Raytheon plant in RI. It's got the old metal rails and pressed-in bearings and rollers, and with a little love, it's almost as nice as the modern Listas that use POM rollers. It doesn't have as nice a detent, and lacks the one-drawer-at-a-time system, but it's big, green, and got a lot of electronics history behind the scratched and faded paint.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Man, your life is just the coolest. I'm so envious.

What's the deal with the locations? Dairy not popular enough, maybe, but how does a BBQ place go under?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Fffffuck. Paul and I used to chat on AIM back in the day. I hope he's found peace too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress, that's a name I haven't seen in way too long.

Last posted in 2015, then lots in 2013. He was my secret santee in 2012. It's always amazing to me how many friends get lost in the shuffle of life.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Congrats man!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

... adulting sucks, but man... I had/am having a great time...

Amen, bother. Amen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
What kind of laser?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

That is, without question, your kid.

And his wife's. Kiddo has mom's eyes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

foreman approves:

This makes me so happy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That piggy bank is perfect. She's a gem.

the wife's a keeper too

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

holy poo poo that Gobbler was pretty epic - I could literally feel the static electricity shocks looking at those photos, carpet everywhere.

Kinda reminds me of a later Madonna Inn:

Good God, the Madonna Inn. I went there with my mom after my uncle died. It's a whacky place. I hope you like pink.

A lot.

No, more than that. Like an unreasonable amount.

https://www.madonnainn.com/dining

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay what the gently caress

It's kinda like a Payday bar in drink form. It's... Weird but good?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Those fish glasses are super cool.

And good on you for ditching the generator. Technology has moved on. I get trying to keep the period look, but if poo poo doesn't work, you gotta do what's right for you.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

At first I thought you were going to do the offroad thing and just have plastic door cards, which would 100% not match that car. I bet the vinyl will look good.

We will all buy copies of that sticker if you sell them.

I love the driver's expression. That's a "Hell yeah, I'm a traffic violator" grin if I've ever seen one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

how do you use a vintage battery? does someone rebuild them with new plates? can you desulphate a 70-year-old battery with any hope of success? were they new old stock, stored dry?

I think he means repro "vintage". Like Coker tires.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

STR posted:

dog food and ranch dressing

Sounds delicious

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

trip report: this setup towed like a loving dream, I forgot I even had it behind me at points, for those of you in the know about 100 series cruisers, the AHC did not struggle at all. The history of this trailer is a bit... foggy, its not mine, but it is an ex (big name rental company) trailer, in nearly new condition - I was under the impression that (big name rental company) never sell these to the public ... so because (big name trailer company) is a.... this thing was perfectly engineered - super long tongue, perfect balance, super easy hold downs, easy ramps, easy brakes, easy turning... it was just a great trailer.
I know the (big name rental company) and yeah, they're actually really well designed, easy to use, overbuilt trailers.

quote:

pics of the race and the damage from the race coming soon... ugh.
Fffffff

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

glyph posted:

Voltage dividers and variable resistors for some flavor of calibration:

There's a capacitive one too, which has the screws out of it:

Apologies if a post like this is beyond the scope of this thread. Once I got the camera out to get pics of the toolboxes, I figured I'd go big.
I should dig up my pile of old oceanographic gear. I've got a bunch of those decade resistance and capacitance boxes, 2 impedance bridges, and some truly analog gear: a depth and time recorder that features a Rockwell wind-up clock to drive the paper chart recorder with stylus.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Check garage journal, there's a bunch of people who rebuild jacks. It's probably a could of bucks in O-rings and seals at most.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

boxen posted:

"We fired our cannon 'till the barrel melted down
Then we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round..."

I love me some Johnny Horton

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

The Dude Wagon is drat cool, but I'm afraid I can't commit to another project -

I thought about buying a vintage one for my kid, but I thought about how on edge I would be if I was to spend a lot money/time on only for him to crash it in to a wall.

I think Sharky is going to need that more than I will!

Because I'm swimming in free time over here, not drowning in projects. Blub blub.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Ancient cars and ancient curses

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Is that a crack in the block at the top of the picture? It looks like a cracked block to me...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ExplodingSims posted:

That's more or less what I was thinking at this point. It seems kinda silly to just get the frame of he's going to get rid of the whole setup anyway....

I mean, the driveway is getting pretty full though. But I guess one van can go to make room for a Buick.

Unless anyone wants to help clear put some blackberry bushes. Then I'll have lots of room!

Ken loves blackberry bushes. I'm sure he'll help!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

my turn in the barrel posted:

Was $15 a good deal ?

There's a rite of passage over on garage journal where people are told "you suck" when they score a great deal.

With great envy and love, I say: You Suck.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 20, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

he parks it right next to my car and whenever I try to move it he says "no thats my parking spot, I like parking nest to you daddy"

:3:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Amen brother, amen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

the last loving one.

its always the last one...

"call a machine shop your going to gently caress it up" - Doubting Thomas friend of mine

challenge accepted!

That's the perfect application for the "weld a washer and nut" technique.

That gauge cluster looks amazing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

waaaahhhttttt

Hot dawg, that looks amazing!

Page 2, it should be Entries, not Entry's; it's plural not possessive.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Lock wire: https://youtu.be/OwFjUX6SaY8

It's beautiful when done correctly, and very very secure. I used to do a lot more of it, and still occasionally do on some of my oceanographic parts. I do it to prevent fastener removal, especially during customs inspections of a hydraulic system. For whatever reason, Mexican customs folks live to remove the screws, dump oil into the foam padded case, and then close the lid like nothing happened. Idgi

I thought of you recently when I picked up a beautiful piece of MCM furniture off Facebook marketplace. It's a Tomlinson Sophisticate collection #66 sideboard and #67 upper cabinet. Pecan, Butternut, and burled Myrtle, brass and copper hardware, etc.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 15, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

I've never done one before but my last banger that blew up was full of them - they weren't done quite right to be honest, they weren't exactly square and it made taking the head on and off really hard.

I'd like to see it done and try it myself on a less high risk application

I spoke with the lady today I told her I may have some friends that live closer to her that may be able to come and check it out - she was very open to that, and seems to be really happy to work with me on this stuff, plus it may be something cool for you to see too.

I'll post about it again once my first part gets here.

Take it to a shop for the thread insert. Keen-serts are another option over Heli-coil.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DJ Commie posted:

I used to talk with Paul a lot, when a lot was starting to pile up on him. He was a wonderful person whom I won't forget. May he rest in peace, finally.

Same here. He is definitely missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

Speaking of old school - this is the only picture that was taken during with a long overdue visit from my friend and OLD SCHOOL goon Vorheese - who's not active - I told him about this thread and he said he'd try to make an appearance at some point...

both of us have aged quite a bit, dad life -all that good stuff - me and him used to hang and cruise cars in the bay area where he lived and my cousin lived - I'd go on extended stays and cruise around in my old 55 caddy up there - he got out of the car stuff and heavy in to the bike stuff - in 2009 I sold him pretty much all my bikes after a near miss..

While he was here we took a few of his triumph mc parts to a local engine builder who is a mutual friend of ours - it was good to see him, I hope we can figure out a way to see eachother more often - we both walked away from our visit as though we had just had a therapy session :yikes:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

late 30s girls 24" colson - in truly astounding shape - you have to think that 24" girls bikes are very specific - they were either handed down or cast off - this amazing example is in better shape than any vintage bike I've ever owned, its like new. it even came with the original tires. the best part, it was a straight trade - no money changed hands. more pics of this in the daylight coming soon.

Colson, like the casters!

Tell Vorheese that I say hi! We lived together for about a year at another goon's place. We had some truly excellent times. He and I still occasionally chat on Instagram, but not anywhere near enough.