Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Holy poo poo, you went to Kowloon. Took me about 15 years from the first time I drove past until I walked through the doors. I was expecting more Easter Island head drinks and less black marble and mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

new couch thats comfy

Give yourself credit for foresight here. I spent the first several weeks on the couch, and months later we ceded the bedroom to our infant and slept on the foldout. We had to alternate sides each night so our back pain was merely excruciating and not debilitating.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

what are these locking adjustable you guys speak of?

this?

Hold on, this is a real tool? The first few posts I really thought it was a photoshop prank inside joke, like jackalope crossed with turn signal fluid.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

We’re very lucky to live in a world where a car collection that’s a bunch of old American cars and one Delorean actually makes perfect sense.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Stop distracting Lobsterboy, I want to see car progress.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I was thinking about you today Lobsterboy. I got to interview an engine builder at his shop (i.e. a massive barn absolutely packed with engines, cars, bikes, parts). His thing is Maxwells, which I’d never heard of until today, but he has a Model T and a DeSoto and maybe some others. Told me he does a lot of Brass Era touring.

He had every kind of engine in there. Single and twin Maxwells, Model T, modern diesels, SBCs, boat engines. He built stock car and race car engines for a while. Said he’s worked on basically everything that exists, I remember he mentioned Dusenburgs a couple times. I thought of you mostly when he was talking about scrounging for rare parts or making his own when they don’t exist anymore. It was a very cool window into that world.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

They were built by a guy who called himself Lowkey in the 50s-70s - not terribly difficult to build but the large notch in one side of the uprights seems a bit out of my woodworking tool capabilities.

Ideally each engine would have one of these stands, then I'd have one of the freight train engine stands as my build stand.

Do you have a tablesaw? I'm no wood genius, but seems like you could set the blade height to the tallest part of the notch, run the upright through once, then drop the blade height a little, move the fence in a little, make another pass on either side of the first groove, and keep doing that until you rough out the shape of the curve, then knock down whatever remains with a chisel and sand it smooth. There's almost certainly an easier way but that's how my caveman carpentry brain imagines doing it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

There you go, that’s the real solution.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been gaining a bit of "steam" on my etsy stuff -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DanoramaCity

I am slow rolling a lot more stuff in the coming weeks, as I don't want to overload good old AL(gorithm)

Can you make the Fart shirt in kid sizes? It might get me tarred and feathered, but I know my five year old would loving love wearing a shirt that says Fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’m in that same boat.