Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

LobsterboyX posted:

I posted this picture on my instagram and one of the girls, now a woman, in the photo reached out to me and got very emotional about the photo, telling me "some of the best times in my life were in that car" to which I responded "me too"

this is really cool and one of the only good features to come out of social media. what’s your IG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
cool post — I worked in shops for years, haven’t seen a Girvin Proflex fork since... 1996? that headset setup seems a bit off; is it frankensteined from the 1” cups that were already in the frame? I think I have the original manual for that fork filed away if you want a copy, iirc the top spacing has to be very specific for the shock to behave proper. how does it ride with the slacker head tube of that bike? I think one of my favorite riding characteristics of klunkers, or just old bikes in general, is the slack-rear end head tubes and tons of fork trail. they’re just so sleepy while still being carve-y. I think my ‘55 DL-1 is something crazy like 67°. it rides the way old cars drive.

the rest of those bikes are amazing, great collection. I’ll have to snap some pics of mine someday, I have a few weird things you might be interested in... though I mostly geek out on the 1930s -> post-war British stuff personally. just picked up this ‘61 Raleigh Supurbe a few weeks ago to add to the fleet, it has every option you could get at the time, like a weird locking fork crown

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
this is easily one of my fav threads in AI, love your posts

also I dug thru a bunch of boxes looking for that Girvin Profles manual for you but came up short... I did find a grainy one online tho, that does specify a 43mm gap for the spacer

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

LobsterboyX posted:

Thanks man! thats super cool.. so without breaking out my calipers, looks like I'm doing... ok... ish? really nice to have those torque specs tho-

I finally torqued up that bike and aired everything up. Gave it a ride around the block and .....Since I rode it as a coaster clunker I've gained some pounds, and added those wacky mustache bars so the bike was very, very unfamiliar and rather uncomfortable and I instantly bottomed out that girvin. I had some low rise bmx bars on it before which I loved, slight things like a handlebar switch really threw me. I dropped the seat a bit and it got a bit better but definitely not something I'd want to ride spirited, I guess its a weird cruiser now?

well based on this pic

it looks like you’ve only got about 10-15mm. it changes the angle of the shock relative to the frame and makes it more likely to hit the head-tube (this is more of an issue on aluminum frames that have fatter tubes); it also changes the angle of contact for the top bearing race slightly, since the shape of the parallelogram is now different. looking at that photo tho, you’re gonna be limited by the length of the steerer tube; if you added 20mm underneath, the top bolt of the stem would just be compressing air, not steerer, and that’s bad. I’d probably just leave it if it’s not contacting the head tube when the shock compresses, or messing with the bearing adjustment as you turn the fork. the riding characteristics you describe are probably not helped by the fact that that fork was designed with a rake for a 73-ish° head tube angle, and that frame is... most likely slacker than that, probably like 68-70° (my 28” wheel Raleighs are 67°; it takes some getting used to but I love it now). it’s not unsafe per se, it’s just gonna feel “floppier” when you steer, especially since now there’s a fair bit of travel to the fork. this is why you very rarely see modern suspension forks on klunkers; except for really long-travel stuff like downhill bikes, everything is designed for (relatively) steep head-tube angles.

LobsterboyX posted:

then theres this, the cadillac of bikes, the roadmaster luxury liner

this was given to me by my friend when he went in to the navy and I was supposed to give it back to him when he got out, well he got out and told me to keep the bike so its in my collection forever now. this is a 53 and its the only year for the mens bikes to be painted this green, making it really rare.

in the 80s and 90s there was a resurgence in bicycles, they reproduced this bike and sold them for astronomical amounts. there are several of these repop bikes out there, but by far this one is the best reproduction, made by the same company, same tooling, same quality. the ONLY give away to a repop is the coaster brake, and it takes a very keen eye to spot. the repop parts are absolutely interchangeable with the originals too which is cool.

heres a repop:

the repop is of the 48 model year, so my 53 has more bells and whistles and the cool crash bars.

nice — that roadmaster is really lovely. IIRC those are oil-based paint too so you can make them really shiny by just rubbing oil all over the (clean) painted bits and wiping it all off a day later. takes away a lot of the white-ish patina.

patina is pretty cool though, so there’s that.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

PainterofCrap posted:

The early Michelin man was terrifying.

he used to be even scarier! the earliest ads for Michelin were him holding up a martini glass full of nails and broken glass and poo poo. he was originally called ‘Sir Bibendum’, bibendum meaning “time to drink”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

cakesmith handyman posted:

Best photo in the bunch :3:

kid knows what’s up