Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Wait, those diners are famous? I’ve eaten at all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Charles posted:

DC-3s and B-52s will be flying long after we all die

The Grand-kids of pilots of the B-52 are already flying their grandfather's plane.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen farm trailers last for decades in much worse condition.

My FIL hauls wood on a trailer that makes that one look new. I trust the OP to clean it up and make sure it’s safe before putting it on the road.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

If you do a run of Traffic Violator stickers I’ll 100% buy one.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

This came floating by in my feed today, thought it might get some enjoyment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKhXXI9Uk4

It's the "Babbit Bank Trophy" a Japanese dirt day with cars from the 20s 30s and 40s.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The United States is incredible. 38 knots in trials, supposedly 42 knots once in service, which was confirmed as the design top speed when those documents were declassified. For comparison that's about the same top speed as Boeing's 929 hydrofoil ferries.

It was built with a significant chunk of government money and used the same boiler and steam turbine tech as the US fleet carriers of the time. At 240,000 horsepower it has the most powerful engines ever fitted to a civilian ship, only beaten by the aforementioned fleet carriers. The US government saw the utility of ocean liners as troop transports in WW2 and in exchange for contributing a significant chunk of the funding to the project got to dictate several design aspects they wanted in a troop ship. The United States could have moved 20,000 troops to Europe in under 5 days had the Soviets ever pushed the Fulda Gap.

Unlike the Queen Mary the United States still has her boilers and engines installed, so restoration is possible, however unlikely.

So it's basically a fancy troop transport?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

The baseball card collection triggers a memory that, somewhere in my Mom's house (now my sister's house, but with all of the junque still in the attic) is the Coin Collection.

My Mom went on & on about the family heirloom Coin Collection since time out of mind. It was really my father's; he started collecting coins as a child in the late 1930s, and had a subscription to the US Mint for proof sets, collecting them for 20-30-years. The whole thing was crammed into an old leather suitcase and hidden, Purloined Letter-style, amongst all of the other luggage in the attic, after they divorced in the early 80s.

Over the last 30-years of her life, my mom moved it around the house, and got it appraised ($8000 sometime in the '80s). I would come across it now & then up in the attic (sometimes behind the kneewalls), but have not seen it since the 1990s (married in 1990, and soon after, in my own house).

My mom died in March of '22 and I am the executor of her estate, which we're about to close out; so my mind turns to the fact that nobody has been able to find it. It should not have been that hard to locate a big suitcase in a small Cape Cod, but it has thus far eluded me & my sister (who, to be fair, is not very organized & not a diligent follower-through, whereas I would spend as long as it took to find it, Terminator-style, were I there long enough).

I'll be up there early in the new year, divvying up the blown glass Christmas ornament collection; some of these were acquired by my great- grandmother in Germany, where she was born & lived as a child, in the 1880s. Hopefully will have time to continue the search.

My FIL gave me his coin collection "because you're interested in old stuff too" and looking through it is a lot of fun, but you can tell it's a childhood collection. Given the dates and ages of the coins (mostly entirely European and some Southeast Asian coins from the 20s, 30s and 40s) you can tell a kid that was super into coins asked all his neighbors and friends' dads for any coins they had. It's exactly what I'd expect to be in a GI's pocket cira 1944. It's a lot of fun to look through though, and I'm touched he gave it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

to continue the theme of "big" - I spent some big money on a silly new dishwasher

I have the 2019 version of that one. There's a rubber seal that goes all the way around the door including the bottom. Wipe it down once a month to keep the scuzz off it, otherwise it will leak and you'll drive yourself insane trying to find the leak and wondering if the leak sensor is broken but then you slide it out and the leak collection pan is full of water and you go "WTF how did that happen" until you read an appliance discussion forum and see someone mention it and have an AH HA moment.