Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dragonstoned posted:

Wireless charging also completely sucks/doesn't work if you have any kind of case on your phone.

Also I'd love to have a charger the size of a loving dinner plate taking up half my desk.

Ive got a hard plastic case on my samsung (tech21 one) and wireless charging works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

watched a youtube of horse crashes in that game, I don't think the people who made it know how horses work. like, a horse isn't going to charge full speed into a brick wall just because you tell it to.

Counterpoint, horses are dumb as poo poo and absolutely will kill themselves at a moments notice. With or without human intervention.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Maybe they've gotten smart enough to include code for "pause for a selfie"

Wouldn't it be easier to program the camera to take a picture when the head returned to 0, the hardware must have hooks available to draw an input of some sort from to drive the camera. That would seem easier as each layer takes a different length of time to print.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Someone explain to my dumbbrains how this is more cost effective than hiring people to do this. I mean, there's the investment in the tech to do this, the warehouse design to accommodate these lil' bots, and in the end each lil' bot is distributing one package each, whereas a person with a hand truck could or a laundry bin could seemingly do the same thing.

Probably error rate. Packing errors are a massive pain point in logistics. Also this massively parallelises the tasks. So imagine the person putting the parcels on the robot it actually delivering them by hand. The order the parcels are coming in is unknown so she'd have to just go round and round the warehouse finding the right place to drop the parcel off, lots of doubling back and lots of potential for error. With the robots the parcel that has to go to the far corner of this warehouse does not stop any other parcel being delivered.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

This isn't sped up, they're just using blue conveyor belts.

That's a very niche joke. I appreciated it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gort posted:

but think of the value of putting all those people out of work

Is getting people to do repetitive warehouse work really something we should be fighting to protect?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bike tory posted:

Nah that's just what toddlers do. Mine gives me the same look as he slaps me in the face over some injustice like having to come inside for dinner, and he's never been hit in his life.

My niece does something similar. She's 2 and bit her 4 year old brother. I told her not to do that and biting was bad. She said she would not do it again then instantly turned around and bit her brother again. Toddlers have no self control.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Rudy can't fail

Rudy?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

gently caress happened to make Vijayanagar drop off the list entirely? It goes from second place to third and then is gone entirely, while the cities below it remain more or less the same.

They lost a war and the city was destroyed. Personally I find some of these things just hard to comprehend, a colossal city like taht just gone along with all it's peoples.

Niani in Guinea is like that, at the height of the Mali empire it was home to 100,000 people as the Capital, it had temples, universities the works. Now, it's a village again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Jus' let the guy take the photo

Unless he has a cartoonishly evil manager just out of frame twirling his mustache ready to fire

Welcome to America :d2a:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flash Gordon remake looking bad I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It looks like Agarwood, a tree that's being poached into extinction.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aramoro posted:

It doesn't even make sense, since quoting with attribution is like the opposite of plagiarism :mad:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

As long as you can get it to stop bleeding you can be pretty much fine to go back on. By the last time I broke my nose playing rugby the cartilage and bone was already so hosed up that it didn't move that much and didn't hurt too bad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bike tory posted:

That's not Idris Elba? idgi, or is the joke that this is not Idris Elba?

Looks like it's from the sketch show Famalam.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

That makes sense there are basically no rules if you have money.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ah 2 of Englands finest showing why they are such good teammates

https://youtu.be/a4MjLOaS4aw

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Nonononono. I do not trust dolphins. This would be like turning the corner and running into a hippo.

I mean don't trust dolphins, but that's a lot worse than a dolphin.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ammanas posted:

if i remember this story correctly the bouncer was shot and killed by the police that night. could be wrong, cops kill a whole lot of black dudes.

Very close, he got given a medal by the police.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bike tory posted:

Why do Americans get pissed at people changing lanes? How else are you meant to get to the outside lane, or to the offramp from the outside lane?

The problem in that gif is that everyone's following way to loving close behind the car in front.

What you can see in that example is not someone switching lanes to get to a junction though. It's an example of how jams happen on clear roads. Someone switches because they perceive their lane is travelling slower than the others which causes cars behind to brake and so on. The cars in the gif are not real cars it might surprise you to learn and theyre just so close together to make it fit neatly in the diagram.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bike tory posted:

If the cars aren't travelling too close together then a car changing lanes doesn't cause anyone to slow down much at all. Even if they change lanes like an rear end in a top hat.

So even if the cars are driving at a good distance apart. A car switches lane into the gap the car behind was leaving. It brakes a little because its a little surprised and wants its gap back. The car behind sees the brake lights and after reaction time brakes a little more. This ripples backwards and the jam can occur a couple of miles back from the initial braking. It's really interesting and I really recommend looking up the research into this.

It's why we have motorways with variable speed limits now because everyone going at 50 can mean everyone gets there faster than a speed limit of 70.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LordArgh posted:

*too lazy to return cart*

"i'm a job creator!"

Every single time I throw a shopping trolley in a canal I shed a tear for all the jobs I'm creating. I'm the backbone of this country.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hooah posted:

Doesn't the ball still have to go over the net on each volley?

You can certainly hit around the net so why not under.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's also no such thing as an "EMP attack" in the real world.

You can do a Nuclear EMP attack, but I think that would generally just get called a Nuclear attack.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Inceltown posted:

I've been putting my shoes on wrong the whole time.

That's why they're called flip flops.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

And now we encounter the reason street food didn't catch on in America.

US food standards are still absolute garbage though. I think that's mostly people poisoning themselves at home though. But still 14% of people affected a year is bad.

It's not food standards that stop them being popular, New York seemed to be covered in food hand carts. But what food carts need is foot traffic which is very patchy in the US.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Sep 26, 2022

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I never got my wisdom teeth out as a kid, as the dentist determined they should come out at my literal last dental appointment before I was kicked off my parents dental insurance at 18. Nice timing, doc.

So they were finally starting to bug me now, 25 years later, so I got a new dentist to use with my new dental insurance and scheduled to get them out. And.... the experience was great. Didn't need to be put under, just general freezing. He had all four out in about 15 minutes flat. Zero pain or discomfort, almost zero swelling afterwords, and I was back on solids in about 4 days. Couldn't have gone smoother. I've had more stressful haircuts.

My mums a dentist and that's always been the experience for me. Numbed up, procedure done back to normal like the next day.

On the topic is Generals for dental work when my mum retired 20 years ago ended generals in Central Scotland because there were only 2 dentists who were qualified to do it and she was one of them. No bad thing really they were dangerous and unnecessary, a dentist in the Borders killed a kid a few years after that.

One of my friends once went to the dental hospital because she had a fear of the dentist and would panic whenever the procedure started making it impossible. She right she might get a general at the hospital or something, nope just 2 nurses physically holding her down whilst the dentist worked.

What drugs are US dentists loving people up with and why is my question? Just because its funny? Because it isn't necessary.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

loving machines taking our jobs

I cannot stress this enough, that is not a loving machine. DO NOT gently caress THE MACHINE

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dolduck posted:

By that logic we're all cannibals whenever we eat a fellow mammal

Chickens are 100% cannibals and will furiously eat other chickens given a chance. Assuming they didn't like the dead chicken, if they did they get sad instead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Necrobama posted:

yeah but chickens are dicks, who wants to be friends with a chicken?

Chickens are good friends but also dicks, like people.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why would the cops care, if they did run over someone in the crosswalk it would be blamed on the bike guy.

I'm sure they can manage a reckless endangerment or attempt manslaughter charge in there somewhere without even running him over.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Robobot posted:

All those puns are mispronouncing flan and it’s making my eye twitch.

How the gently caress are you pronouncing flan?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Y’all jerks made me have to google it and it’s flahn. I was definitely on team flan as in plan.

I looked to up and once again the problem is America.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Looking at those leg muscles, I'm pretty sure that the 2nd guy is just there to keep him from jumping into orbit.

It to ensure a successful reentry

I think that's Eben Etzebeth he's catching there who is juts over 2m tall and 120kg.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Indecisive posted:

gonna be fun to pack that up with all the dishes messy as poo poo and unpack your new colony of ants once you get home

What do you think normally happens with dishes at a picnic? You just wash them when you get home.

You're all treating it like some krypton factor puzzle, there's a box full of cutlery and a bowl full of bowls.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

holttho posted:

What is he even doing there? A director should be in another room -or better yet- in another building completely, just occasionally glancing at the monitors and go, "yea, that's fine" while checking the newest studio head notes.

He's there as the Screenwriter, he can go watch it in a little room later.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

credburn posted:

That's one of the highest rated movies I've ever seen on letterboxd

I assume that's just all the episodes of it joined together. The series is certainly a touching tribute to an 80s classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

i hate those videos cause it's like 90% fondant and basically inedible, yay food waste for art

Nah, that guys work is incredible. Structural chocolate work with really great cakes underneath.