Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The documentary says he spent so much time editing the film within the film, especially the "bathroom orgy" scene, that he must have enjoyed it even if it was meant to be a parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Saw this in a theater last night. I'll probably have coherent thoughts later, but for now I made a list of films that might help you contextualize what the hell is going on in The Other Side of the Wind.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Solid list. Other movies it variously reminded me of include The Red Badge of Courage, Monsieur Verdoux / Limelight / A King In New York, The Bad And The Beautiful / Two Weeks In Another Town, La Dolce Vita, Contempt, Muriel, Passion, and JLG/JLG Self Portrait In December

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The film within the film is basically Let the Corpses Tan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The film within the film is better than the film outside the film within the film.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
I've been kinda obsessed with this film since it came out on Friday. I remember reading about it several years ago in Bogdanovich's interview biography "This is Orson Welles". Never expected I would actually see it. It's wild, and the crazy thing is I heard NOTHING about it until the morning it was released on Netflix.

It's definitely a Welles film. There's so much to digest in it that just one viewing doesn't do it justice. The film certainly suffers because of the chaotic nature surrounding its production and filming, but it's a gem in spite of everything. The dialogue is peppered with multiple levels of meaning, and I can easily see it becoming quote fodder for me and my film friends in the future.

Of all the crazy things to happen in 2018, the release of an Orson Welles film is up there for the strangest.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Radio Spiricom posted:

right, let me rephrase: i think that it is so accurate in its critique / satire / appraisal of those cinematic forms that it loses that element for me and becomes essentially indistinguishable from the real thing

Seems like the obvious takeaway is that the films are indistinguishable from self parody

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The nightclub/bathroom/car-sex portion of the film-within-a-film was kinda astounding. I know from the doco that it was his parody of European art film, but if Welles had a late career doing psychedelic erotic thrillers, that would've been pretty wonderful.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

The nightclub/bathroom/car-sex portion of the film-within-a-film was kinda astounding. I know from the doco that it was his parody of European art film, but if Welles had a late career doing psychedelic erotic thrillers, that would've been pretty wonderful.

Check out The Immortal Story - shot for French TV in 1968, it's his first color feature and absolutely gorgeous. Shot by Willy Kurant, too.

Also, here's the song used in the roadhouse/bathroom scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEl920eLGKY

:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Teenage Fansub posted:

The bathroom scene where she tears off her shirt and throws it on the girl immediately made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xffOCZYX6F8&t=48s

• Locked thread