Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
If you’re a 1 or 2 the knicks are great for mycareer. Pick and roll/pop with Kristaps is going to get you a lot of assists, they also think highly of Knox and Frank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Pacers are excellent for a point since bogdanovic shoots and Turner is a stretch 5.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The Grizzlies are all round rear end do NOT pick them

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone play Live? It is (already) on sale for $30 on PSN and I'm kind of tempted to check it out. I haven't read any reviews yet but assume it is another complete dud if it already half off.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone play Live? It is (already) on sale for $30 on PSN and I'm kind of tempted to check it out. I haven't read any reviews yet but assume it is another complete dud if it already half off.

It's ok. I enjoyed it for a few weeks then I was like... Meh.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Gameplay just not there yet. I’d really like it to be since 2k hosed up my favorite mode

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
honestly I think Live's defense might be better because it actually punishes swiping and pass steal attempts, unlike 2k right now where the best defence is to camp the passing lane and swipe because you probably will cause a turnover.

2k18 was probably too forgiving about bad passing but this kinda nuts. Also be sure to spam steal as soon as the other team's big catches the rebound because there's a 50% chance you'll steal it from his big ogre mitt

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Live is really fun as a arcadey streetball game. I wish I didn't pay $60 for it because the NBA gameplay is Not Good.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea last years version I only played the streetball portions. The nba games were traaaaash

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

you cant name your myplayer honky so i had to settle with being Hyper Honke

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
At least 2k did a couple things right with the new patch.

More wheels to spin so we don't have 20 people mashing x to get a spot. How are you guys doing in Rec? My rim protector does alright but I regret making him heavy. I was worried about post scorers but nobody ever passes to a post player in randoms.

I no longer play park though, it's just 3 point madness. I abused the vc glitches and about to make a stretch 4. I'm just gonna embrace the stupid.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I haven't touched park in 2 years and I've never felt better

I mostly end up playing myleague after doing career for a while. I'm honestly really into 2k this year, aside from the legacy "cpu reacts instantly to every block" thing they said they can't fix.

VC still feels bad tho, it's just so much to improve your player so little. Some levels of skills will cost VC and not actually give you even a +1 to anything

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Getting a block or steal is a net negative play actually

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

The Duggler posted:

I haven't touched park in 2 years and I've never felt better

I mostly end up playing myleague after doing career for a while. I'm honestly really into 2k this year, aside from the legacy "cpu reacts instantly to every block" thing they said they can't fix.

VC still feels bad tho, it's just so much to improve your player so little. Some levels of skills will cost VC and not actually give you even a +1 to anything

I play full 12 minute quarters in my career and average around 1000-1300 per game. I looked at maxing all my skills at once and it was around 250,000. Its a slog and used to be a lot more fun

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ahaha I was able to land lebron first year mygm. I am now happy with 2k

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Duggler posted:

We made it! From pay-to-win to pay-to-not-win. Gonna drop some big bucks tonight to not even improve my player and LOVE it!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm mostly maxed at the important skills by december of mycareer.

I don't know what the online version is, and frankly I don't want to.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I put more money into MyTeam than I’m comfortable with (read: any) before realizing it doesn’t matter. MyTeam stuff is fun, but if I dumped 20 bucks into packs to get pink diamond whoever and actually pull them...then what?

Grinding out domination for token rewards and MT to use in the auction house will be enough to get you through the rest of domination.

Online seems like a slog outside of Triple Threat. Win or lose it’s maybe a 6 minute proposition and you don’t need world class cards to win. Any guard plus rookie sensation Larry Bird (gold catch and shoot, limitless range) and any big while abusing 3s will win a lot. There are some card packs/diamond contracts or shoes that show up as rewards sometimes in there.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/9ol6y0/psa_you_will_be_permanently_banned_for_auction/

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh nice they changed the single goals to just complete a game online. Thank you. Can get a week in before RDR2 takes over my life

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 16, 2018

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Wow price cut to $40 for opening day? That’s new. Maybe Live is finally giving good enough competition

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

the_american_dream posted:

Wow price cut to $40 for opening day? That’s new. Maybe Live is finally giving good enough competition

Really tempted to bite the bullet and get this on Xbone or Switch.

Anyone have opinions on either version?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Spacebump posted:

Really tempted to bite the bullet and get this on Xbone or Switch.

Anyone have opinions on either version?

Switch runs pretty janky in handheld mode, unless you REALLY want the mobile option I'd go xbox

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lol, dude got banned for "purposefully buying items for less than average".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

gameplay patch notes:

-Implemented the newly approved NBA rule that resets the shot clock to 14 seconds following offensive rebounds.
-Reduced the effectiveness of on-ball steals, especially for low rated defenders by implementing the following: increased foul chances for body-to-body contact, increased ball security after rebounds when both hands are on the ball, introduced a cooldown when attempting too many steal attempts in a short amount of time, more mistargeted steal attempts for poorly rated players.
-Fixed a soft hang where an inbounder would get stuck in an off-ball deny animation, preventing him from being able to check the ball.
-Reduced injury wear and frequency for long quarter length games.
-Fixed a case where the ball handler would sometimes get stuck in a double team animation after he had lost the ball.
-Fixed an issue that was preventing up and under layups from playing properly under the basket.
-Changed the color of the Takeover rebounding reticle for Glass Cleaners to make it easier to see against darker court floors.
-Slight reduction in the effectiveness of pass lane steals that are not manually triggered.
-Adjusted shot contest animations to make them more responsive against perimeter jump shots.
-Adjusted the key zoom camera settings for 2K Low and updated some Broadcast camera angles to more accurately reflect their real-life camera locations.
-Changed the logic for the Defensive Stopper badge to apply against opponents 1 position away from the defender’s natural position or when matched up with someone within a 3-inch height difference.
-Shortened several pass flinch reaction animations to improve responsiveness.
-Bench actors will no longer twitch badly when an injured player is helped off the court.
-Fixed some artificial speedups and reduced clipping by defenders when transitioning into hip rides.
-Reduced the frequency of defenders bodying up ball handlers into back court violations.
-Reduced clipping that could sometimes happen when two players were fighting for rebounds.
-Increased the speed at which a defender can move while in hands-up.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
apparently NBA playgrounds 2 is out?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Xbox live is having a sale and all 3 current NBA games are on sale
2k19 is $30
Live 19 is $16
Playgrounds 2k is $20 (the old but superior NBA Jam On Fire Edition is on sale for $5 but it'll be either hard to find a game or frustrating because the people still online are all good.)

Is Live worth it for $16? How does it play better or worse?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I paid $60 for live and I had some fun with it for a few weeks but ehhh. I haven't played much since the numerous gameplay changing patches, though.

It makes for a better arcade basketball game than Playgrounds 1, that's for drat sure.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Waaaaaay back in the 2k day, I used to just build an NBA team filled with my friends as create-a-players and then play in franchise mode through various seasons. Can you do that with MyLeague or MyGM or are you pretty much just shoehorned into the limits of MyCareer when it comes to wish-fulfillment? If you *can* do it, is it worth it?

EDIT: Also, the PC port is 50% off. Is it worth it or should I listen to all the reviews that are screeching stay away? Realistically, I'm probably only doing single-player but if it's a bad port even setting aside the MP cheating/hacking...

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

you can create a player absolutely, you could add them to the base roster and use that new roster in mygm or myleague

if you want complete control myleague will let you do pretty much anything within reason : force trades, force signings, etc

the game is fun but the cash grab aspects have gotten worse over time, however you won't notice them in myleague/gm

e: the reviews are likely all related to the online modes which I never bother to play because it's pc and the playerbase is second smallest, just ahead of the switch

there are very real complaints about the grind and cost for my career / the card game modes, online play is a poo poo show, and so on

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 21, 2018

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thank you! How's the PC port in terms of running on a decent machine? My PC outpowers my PS4 pretty handily but I worry that the PS4 version may be better optimized for the hardware. Any sense of how they run side by side?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This is $30 for the digital copy on the Switch on Nintendo.com, which was enough to make me do it. Mostly so I can run the Be Your Own GM 2K simulation next offseason again.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

Thank you! How's the PC port in terms of running on a decent machine? My PC outpowers my PS4 pretty handily but I worry that the PS4 version may be better optimized for the hardware. Any sense of how they run side by side?

It seems to run fine if your computer is recent enough, but the ps4 specs aren't anything too wild these days

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just gonna leave this here

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Dexo posted:

Just gonna leave this here

How the f is Jabari a three star trade chip? Did you edit the file or something?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nope literally just did a start today and was trying to build a team.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The roster guy can't give someone negative defense, so it's hard to accurately portray Jabari

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Implement an offensive and defensive hustle stat

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

Implement an offensive and defensive hustle stat

I think there is. At least there is a hustle stat and a Offensive IQ & a defensive IQ. They need to do a complete reset on all players stats though, there has been inflation that's been happening for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
2k is too scared to implement realistic ratings because it would hurt players feelings