Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Somewhere between the tradition of jrpgs putting the toughest bosses in hidden areas and the first MMOs realizing their hardcore players are burning through their content far faster than they can create, is when something like Absolute Virtue happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a general term for those older styles of MMO like Everquest/FF11, the way we call WoW/FF14/etc 'themepark MMOs'?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pierson posted:

Is there a general term for those older styles of MMO like Everquest/FF11, the way we call WoW/FF14/etc 'themepark MMOs'?

EQ and FFXI are very different. EQ’s difficultly came about as a result of not having ever really planned for there to be an endgame (or a game, really) and not understanding what it’s own game mechanics actually did. FFXI was more deliberately designed to be gently caress you difficult, because the devs believed a Japanese audience would find that palatable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Pierson posted:

Virtual worlds? Ive seen that a few times but I dont know if its really common.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Pierson posted:

i've always heard "sandbox mmo"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Really they were just mmos. It was when nobody really knew anything about their design except that they were supposed to be massively multiplayer and persistent.

The other terms became distinctions from that base idea.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Pierson posted:

they used to be called "dikus" because the quest hub and 'collect 10 bear assholes' quest style came from DikuMUD

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

lol if you posted:

they used to be called "dikus" because the quest hub and 'collect 10 bear assholes' quest style came from DikuMUD

Everquest, despite its name, never had quest-based gameplay though.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

lol if you posted:

I dont think DikuMUD was like this at all. Most MUDs had very limited questing if any at all and progression usually revolved around grinding.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Questing as a fundamental part of the leveling experience only really started showing up around the era of City of Heroes (2004-ish), and was directly codified by WoW afterwards. Early MMOs had significantly less structured play than they do nowadays.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
everquest was referred to as a diku because it pretty much copy pasted code from dikuMUD, to the point where there was a lawsuit at one point and theres probably screenshots still floating around of battle text and bugged npc speech matching letter for letter between the two games.

but Yea, they were always just MMOs, actually there was a brief period the genre was so new no one had even considered shortening the acronym and people literally refered to them as MMORPGs, which was amazing.
:discourse:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Vermain posted:

Questing as a fundamental part of the leveling experience only really started showing up around the era of City of Heroes (2004-ish), and was directly codified by WoW afterwards. Early MMOs had significantly less structured play than they do nowadays.

I think it more started with DAoC. Questing was a pretty heavy part of the 1-20 game, though it dropped off a lot after that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Willias posted:

I think it more started with DAoC. Questing was a pretty heavy part of the 1-20 game, though it dropped off a lot after that.

It's why I picked the City of Heroes era as the major turning point, since it established quest chains in zones as a primary method of leveling, whereas it was more a supplemental/new player introduction mechanic in DAoC.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Arzachel posted:

There were plenty of true believers, but the general consensus after the open beta was "this is going to get *at least* 6 months of dev time before release, right?".

I posted "sorry I didn't enjoy the beta" after the open beta finished and got shouted down by crazy true believers for two entire pages

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Corvinus posted:

Wiki says Carbine formed in '05, and their only game, Wildstar, released in '14. Did it really take 9 years to release a buggy, not-quite-done MMO?

I've heard multiple ex-employees say upper management was loving awful, sounds like this thing was a total shitshow.

I think Carbine was briefly involved with Horizons: Empire of Istaria, aka one of the earliest hilariously mismanaged over-promised MMO failures in the genre's history. That should tell you all you need to know.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

extra row of teeth posted:

I think Carbine was briefly involved with Horizons: Empire of Istaria, aka one of the earliest hilariously mismanaged over-promised MMO failures in the genre's history. That should tell you all you need to know.

horizons is still up and running as istaria and wildstar is dead lmao

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

extra row of teeth posted:

Who is going to be the first person to contrive a reason to blame NCSoft for Horizons being a disaster

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't think Carbine had anything to do with Istaria, that was developed by an out-and-out charlatan. And yet, it's somehow still running and Wildstar is not, lol

I could be wrong

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

I posted "sorry I didn't enjoy the beta" after the open beta finished and got shouted down by crazy true believers for two entire pages

i think we got that after your 8th time saying that ITT

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

horizons is still up and running as istaria and wildstar is dead lmao

I always just kinda assumed that game cornered the dragonkin furry niche, since the only dude I know who played it was definitely jerkin it to dragons

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Well he was really hurt by it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good write-ups for Horizons' crash & burn or its history? I would love to read about it.

I remember all the hype it got while it was in development with a magnitude of impossible promised content to players (angel and demon races! races that can fly! playable dragons that age/grow/have unique progression! perma-death! unique housing/gear/crafting for each race! race warfare & siege! a massive world bigger than EQ/UO/AC/AO combined! etc). I thought it was cancelled like most MMOs at the time and then I heard about it years later when someone here mentioned playing it. It's like hearing that Atriarch was released and I just want to know how the gently caress.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Senor Dog posted:

This is my 4th post in this thread, but ok

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Ad by Khad posted:

This is my 4th post in this thread, but ok

Don't worry. Some people are simply bitter because their anime furry mmo shut down due to lack of interest.

Was there a spike in Second Life player numbers after the Wildstar closure announcement?

I wonder if the Second Life Safari folks are still on SA.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DancingShade posted:

Don't worry. Some people are simply bitter because their anime furry mmo shut down due to lack of interest.

Was there a spike in Second Life player numbers after the Wildstar closure announcement?

I think they are all on kiwifarms now

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Byolante posted:

I think they are all on kiwifarms now

It's ok to eat fruit but they should really vary their diets.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DancingShade posted:

w-hat has been dead for years the only goons still playing are the ones who turned out to be furries or the ones still making decent money selling virtual clothes for $20

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vermain posted:

It's why I picked the City of Heroes era as the major turning point, since it established quest chains in zones as a primary method of leveling, whereas it was more a supplemental/new player introduction mechanic in DAoC.

Grinding was still mandatory in early CoH and WoW for a good while due to the quest content not providing nearly enough experience to hit max level. But yeah, that was definitely the turning point.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Are there any good write-ups for Horizons' crash & burn or its history? I would love to read about it.

I remember all the hype it got while it was in development with a magnitude of impossible promised content to players (angel and demon races! races that can fly! playable dragons that age/grow/have unique progression! perma-death! unique housing/gear/crafting for each race! race warfare & siege! a massive world bigger than EQ/UO/AC/AO combined! etc). I thought it was cancelled like most MMOs at the time and then I heard about it years later when someone here mentioned playing it. It's like hearing that Atriarch was released and I just want to know how the gently caress.
They do have dragons that can fly and age based off your hoard, really decent house systems and a huge world filled with.. Nothing? There's about 500 active players at any given time between two servers.
Dragon players are generally rear end holes. Bipedal races level up neat with several classes tied to one character.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Was Horizons the fetus catapult game? I can never forget which game promised that because that was the era when developers would promise potential players anything and everything to sell preorders.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

Was Horizons the fetus catapult game? I can never forget which game promised that because that was the era when developers would promise potential players anything and everything to sell preorders.

No, that was Dawn. Horizons was the game that promised one of them dynamic, ever-changing worlds that was a popular pitch in the early 2000s; one of their hooks was that you could play a dragon that would gradually grow in might and stature as you accumulated treasure in your lair or whatever. Unsurprisingly, it turned out to be a completely mediocre MMO on release.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Man, Horizons. I played that for a month or so when it came out. It was ... not a good game. You could click a whole drat lot of flax flowers to make linen cloth to build questionable quality housing, and that's about all I remember.

I couldn't find a good summary of all the assorted pre-release corporate backstabbing but short version is the Horizons developer was founded by David Allen, who was at best an overambitious visionary with no knowledge of how to run a company and at worst a psychotic ignoramus with no knowledge of how to run a company. He promised a million impossible things and eventually got ousted by his investors for mismanagement. Here's an account mostly from his perspective and he still doesn't come across very well. Here's an old Lum the Mad post on the situation. Not sure if Lum_ reads this thread.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
To this day, I have no idea how Allen got people to give him money for an MMO project. He'd basically been working on iterations of the same single-player game since the early Nineties, prior to Horizons.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bieeanshee posted:

To this day, I have no idea how Allen got people to give him money for an MMO project.

You could convince the average venture capitalist to fund a footbridge to the moon if the pitch was good enough.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

David Allen is the charlatan I mentioned. He's made many, many dogshit games and investors are too stupid to figure it out. There was an "anonymous" blog that basically pinned all the blame for Horizon's failures on everyone BUT Allen, and it's quite obvious who wrote it. Allen would then go on to make turbo-dog-poo poo WoW clone Alganon.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I think the SoA thread lead to Lum taking his ball and going to Reddit, sadly. Its always interesting to see his rantings from back in the day along with the other "MMO ranters" like Tweety who were basically bloggers before blogging was a thing.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

CoffeeBooze posted:

I think the SoA thread lead to Lum taking his ball and going to Reddit, sadly. Its always interesting to see his rantings from back in the day along with the other "MMO ranters" like Tweety who were basically bloggers before blogging was a thing.

He still posts in the assorted Paradox threads over in Games and probably other places around the forums, but I can see why he'd stay away from here in general and the SoA thread in particular.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Xerophyte posted:

He still posts in the assorted Paradox threads over in Games and probably other places around the forums, but I can see why he'd stay away from here in general and the SoA thread in particular.

Why? Because he was lying directly to the thread and then got called on it. He got the same treatment any developer gets when they try to hawk their lovely game on SA.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Byolante posted:

Why? Because he was lying directly to the thread and then got called on it. He got the same treatment any developer gets when they try to hawk their lovely game on SA.

please link to the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Solarin posted:

please link to the post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785234&userid=97867

Spends most of the thread soliciting feedback and hyping up features that never got implemented then had a cry that hes not representing the game when it became clear it was a scam