Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

hopterque posted:

Well, I bought him and he's pretty loving good, you're right. I'm 13-2 so far so I'm eagerly anticipating getting annihilated my last 15 games.

16-5 now, his games played against significantly tougher opposition than my first games obviously:

e:

t a s t e posted:

Is next week’s TOTW gonna be the boosted one for Black Friday

what they usually do is release a "best of totw" as a promo on friday itself afaik, in addition to the normal totw. but this totw is gonna be pretty sick as it is I think.

ee: final Del Piero tally for the weekend: 34 goals and 11 assists in 19 games, finished 20-8. he's insane. He single handedly won me at least two games where he scored 5 goals each, in games that finished 6-5 and 5-4 for me.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Looking forward to picking up an untradable bergkamp for the fourth year in a row

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Guys, just checking in to say a break from FIFA is doing me a world of good but I'll be back next year with a vengeance I'm sure

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

t a s t e posted:

Looking forward to picking up an untradable bergkamp for the fourth year in a row

I did his SBC in like 18 and man that guy just scored absolutely everything that went towards the net

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Elliptical Dick posted:

Guys, just checking in to say a break from FIFA is doing me a world of good but I'll be back next year with a vengeance I'm sure
lol this is me right now. I play PES a few times a week and get a football fix without the mental baggage that FIFA would normally bring me.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
next gen release early?

Mister Twister
Oct 22, 2010
Are there still fifa pro club teams for goons active? Got it on ps and been itching for that feeling again

EDIT: I'm an idiot who should learn to read a few pages back

edit2: didn 't find a ps5 parmos. Is everyone playing ps4?

Mister Twister fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 3, 2020

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
woo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

lol drat two ronaldo pulls among goons already that's pretty sick

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
i dont know what they did to the AI defense in pro clubs, but jesus they are pretty much cones that move out of the way and never challenge the ball. Is this a tactics thing?

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
The answer is yes, it is a tactics thing. For those curious the AI started behaving 'normally' after reducing the width/depth of the back line, setting the outside backs to stay back on attack, and setting each defensive player to be aggressive with interceptions.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Am I insane or have the passing mechanics completely changed this year? I’m a middling player (usually get to level 3 or 4 in Seasons) and I can’t send a through ball to save my life anymore. My R1+Triangle passing feels completely broken.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’m still adjusting as well. Sometimes I see passes I know would hit in past years and they just fizzle out

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

illcendiary posted:

Am I insane or have the passing mechanics completely changed this year? I’m a middling player (usually get to level 3 or 4 in Seasons) and I can’t send a through ball to save my life anymore. My R1+Triangle passing feels completely broken.

r1+triangle is a looped/curved through ball that should only be used under specific circumstances

hopterque fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 13, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

What are people thinking for icon swaps? First looks seems to point at Koeman or bust in a vacuum

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Most of the good players on youtube are saying take a bunch of packs and maybe the base or mid icon pack, I think Koeman is too slow as a cb to use although I use his 88 which is faster

I'm just gonna take some packs and hold them for team of the year

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
packs for me right now if i bother doing them at all

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don’t dispute that koeman’s a bit slow if you don’t move him to CDM but also I’m about two million coins short of the average youtuber, so my team can stand to benefit more than Inzaghi plus Ter Steven et al

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

t a s t e posted:

I don’t dispute that koeman’s a bit slow if you don’t move him to CDM but also I’m about two million coins short of the average youtuber, so my team can stand to benefit more than Inzaghi plus Ter Steven et al

It's just that like pace is so important that even if you are short of coins I think most pros would say that manolas, joe gomez, whatever fast cb are legit just better than the 92 overall koeman

You can get a ton of value from the packs and sell them to buy whoever and then also you aren't sinking those coins permanently onto something

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 13, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Iirc we both take untradable rewards 😛

If the packs hit no doubt it’s the play but I don’t trust them to give me anything better than a handanovic/Bernardo Silva/etc

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha yeah but I recycle all the untradeable into upgrades and sbcs and stuff

to elaborate more since I was on phone earlier I just think that like if you are dumping so much value into one untradeable player he really needs to be like endgame level and I just don't think a 75 pace CB ever can be really, especially when he's not even currently much better if at all than the players I listed earlier

with the packs you may draw bad and not get a ton from them but at least it's coins that will like never have any value disappear when you upgrade your players, other than paying the EA tax to sell

that said, it's a video game and I am absolutely behind using whoever you think is fun, which is why I have Koeman myself although I paid for him and can sell him later.

I even ran Pirlo for an entire weekend league and boy is he trash!!! but it was fun to play some insane passes sometimes even though he's so slow he's unusable

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 14, 2020

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Koeman is a bit slow and quite short which is a bad combo. Players I rate highly like VVD or Koulibaly are roughly the same pace but they're massive physical beasts which can help make up for that lack of pace in some ways.

e: If you want to get a cb from icon swaps, get Vidic, who is absolutely closer to endgame caliber despite being 'only' 85 rated. If you want an attacker, from that bunch i'd get Suker for sure. But I'd still recommend packs right now honestly.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 14, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’d be using him at cdm, likely swapping Marquinhos back

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

Koeman is a bit slow and quite short which is a bad combo. Players I rate highly like VVD or Koulibaly are roughly the same pace but they're massive physical beasts which can help make up for that lack of pace in some ways.

e: If you want to get a cb from icon swaps, get Vidic, who is absolutely closer to endgame caliber despite being 'only' 85 rated. If you want an attacker, from that bunch i'd get Suker for sure. But I'd still recommend packs right now honestly.

i like using koeman because I will legit send him on runs from one end of the pitch to the other and try to score with him and sometimes I do and at worst he can actually play a pass pretty well

kamikaze soccer baby

also on corners there's a lot of times where you work it into the box and you go ah crap I'm in a good shooting spot but it's a CB!! and with Koeman that's never an issue

but yeah I mean I use the 88 and I wouldn't personally put resources into him I couldnt' get back

t a s t e posted:

I’d be using him at cdm, likely swapping Marquinhos back

Yeah I mean that's prob fine tbh I think he'd be better there than at CB

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 14, 2020

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I finally picked up ‘21 and I’m surprised at the negative press. Feels to me like the best version in a while.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

I finally picked up ‘21 and I’m surprised at the negative press. Feels to me like the best version in a while.

it's got some problems but yeah it still is

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Faint praise

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

t a s t e posted:

Faint praise

I think it's generally pretty fun tbh, I really just wish they'd do something about the block hitboxes and passing, those are my only two big complaints

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I have fun playing but I’d also say the same about a lot of broken games. I’d just like to feel more in control of the things the AI does for itself

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

t a s t e posted:

I have fun playing but I’d also say the same about a lot of broken games. I’d just like to feel more in control of the things the AI does for itself

Yeah I think the offensive AI should be a lot better, it's crazy how much more movement it would do off the ball in like 17 so you could actually create cool passing plays instead of having to rely on isolating a defender and doing a dribbling trick

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Yeah the offensive AI is totally what needs fixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yll_PWjnYlU

Pro clubs chat: The defensive AI is either ridiculously overpowered or just sorta cones. GKs are also very bad, unless you're volleying from within 12 yards for an auto-corner. Game is a lot of fun, but if they could fix the infinite agility/ball control CBs and overhauled the GK AI or something it'd be top tier fun.

Dollas fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 3, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I think the offensive AI should be a lot better, it's crazy how much more movement it would do off the ball in like 17 so you could actually create cool passing plays instead of having to rely on isolating a defender and doing a dribbling trick
Yeah I picked up FIFA 21 on sale last month and this is the biggest thing I've noticed. I even set my custom tactics for lots of movement and there are so many instances of my guys just standing around while I'm trying to push forward an attack. Even after doing manual runs they still hold back or just stand around. Also I noticed regular through-ball passes are worthless and misguided most the time.

After a few weeks worth of Rivals rewards I got base Suarez and Hazard at ST and the free Beckham card at CAM. They've been awesome for me so far. (I start from 433 then switch to custom tactic to 4-1-2-1-2)

Over the last week I saved up enough for Ramos and the OTW Suarez card. I had De Gea for awhile at GK but didn't really notice a difference from him or any ol' 2k GK so I sold him to get OTW Suarez.

Hazard at ST is stupid good. None of these goals are amazing but just highlights how awesome and fun he is to play with,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqkAA4a3NY&t=13s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJzRoT9faI&t=28s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4gA51f53c0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqkAA4a3NY

Overall enjoying FIFA 21. I'm happy I got it on sale with the free Beckham deal for sure.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I opened like 50 packs yesterday and didn’t get jackshit. Even the 5 X 85+ was garbage.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hard same op

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I haven't played fifa in about 2 years.... how is 21 compared to 18 and 19 which I hated. Also does it look good on next gen (i got a series x)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I haven't played fifa in about 2 years.... how is 21 compared to 18 and 19 which I hated. Also does it look good on next gen (i got a series x)

21 is definitely better than 18 and 19, it's my favorite in awhile although it has its problems just like all of them did

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It really depends what you’re looking for. It has its merits but for me the game seems less in players’ control than ever for good or ill, which drives me insane

If you want a tight football sim this isn’t it but there’s a lot of fun to be had and the Fut content is mostly good this year

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

t a s t e posted:

It really depends what you’re looking for. It has its merits but for me the game seems less in players’ control than ever for good or ill, which drives me insane

If you want a tight football sim this isn’t it but there’s a lot of fun to be had and the Fut content is mostly good this year

What’s generally regarded as a good tight football sim? PES? An older FIFA? I played a bit of FIFA 18 and 19. Heard 20 and 21 were basically no different so I really just haven’t played any for quite a while.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Got the game for 20 bucks. Was curious what it looked like on my series x/how the game was after two years. I still feels very much like fifa but definitely better than 18/19 or whatever the last ones I played. I think I played like 3 weeks of 19 it was so bad. The big pluses for me is the connection ping showing + me getting good connections and most importantly they finally found a tournament replacement. The themed friendly matches are an amazing addition, especially the one that's like 77 rated max with no bronzes anywhere. After years of single matches being ruined by WL preppers they figured it out. I'll def play this very casually, a game here a game there in divisions and friendlies and not touch WL but I'm glad they've brought back fun ways to play.

With all the packs I got and placement coins I was able to build a really good team easily. I decided to build around the best looking cost to output striker available (to me) and when I saw Youssef En-Nesyri SBC I did it right away. Absolutely ridiculous stats for ~40k. 91 positioning, 97 finishing, 93 dribbling.... seems like top cards are cheap this year. Rest of the team is nothing special but Lunin is basically a game end keeper for 25k (6'4 saves with feet). Wonder why stuff is so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Got the game for 20 bucks. Was curious what it looked like on my series x/how the game was after two years. I still feels very much like fifa but definitely better than 18/19 or whatever the last ones I played. I think I played like 3 weeks of 19 it was so bad. The big pluses for me is the connection ping showing + me getting good connections and most importantly they finally found a tournament replacement. The themed friendly matches are an amazing addition, especially the one that's like 77 rated max with no bronzes anywhere. After years of single matches being ruined by WL preppers they figured it out. I'll def play this very casually, a game here a game there in divisions and friendlies and not touch WL but I'm glad they've brought back fun ways to play.

With all the packs I got and placement coins I was able to build a really good team easily. I decided to build around the best looking cost to output striker available (to me) and when I saw Youssef En-Nesyri SBC I did it right away. Absolutely ridiculous stats for ~40k. 91 positioning, 97 finishing, 93 dribbling.... seems like top cards are cheap this year. Rest of the team is nothing special but Lunin is basically a game end keeper for 25k (6'4 saves with feet). Wonder why stuff is so cheap.

There's just so much high end stuff available that it thankfully makes it so that you can get a team that's 80% as good for 10% of the price