Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I am not sure how to begin this thread, since I find it upsetting that there isn't a lengthy book discussion thread about Roger Zelazny's Great Book of Amber fantasy series. I am in love with the series and with the news that it is finally going to be brought to TV (as I have been waiting for since maybe 2010 when I read it the first time), I figured a preliminary thread to discuss the possibilities/new news as it comes out about the series/the greatness of the books would suffice as it continues to get shopped around.

gizmodo posted:

Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead) will bring Roger Zelazny’s 10-part Chronicles of Amber book series to television, with co-producer David Alpert of Skybound Entertainment calling it “one of my favorite book series of all time” and “a lifelong dream” of a project. Sounds like it’s in good hands. So far, there’s no other info (no writers, directors, network, or timetable), but this is still an announcement worth getting excited about.

Roger Zelazny is a criminally under-appreciated fantasy/sci-fi writer - Amber has sold 15 million copies worldwide yet all of his works are tough to find in bookstores. Lord of Light tied Dune for the 1968 Hugo Award. For those of you who love Game of Thrones, Zelazny has been partially responsible for Martin's career, as the two were great friends and Zelazny acted as a mentor to Martin, and after Martin got divorced it was Zelazny who got him out of his extreme depression and got him writing again. He died at 58 in 1995.

Wiki posted:

The Amber stories take place in two contrasting "true" worlds, Amber and Chaos, and in shadow worlds (Shadows) that lie between the two. These shadows, including our Earth, are parallel worlds that exist in, and were created from, the tension between opposing magical forces of Amber and Chaos. The Courts of Chaos are situated at the very edge of an Abyss. Members of the royal family of Amber, after walking a Pattern that is central to Amber, can travel freely through the Shadows. While traveling (shifting) between Shadows, one can alter reality or create a new reality by choosing which elements of which Shadows to keep or add, and which to subtract. Nobles of the Courts of Chaos who have traversed the Logrus are similarly able to travel through Shadow.

The Amber saga consists of two five-book cycles - the Corwin cycle and the Merlin cycle (Corwin's son), each happening within the Amber universe. The Corwin cycle was the first set of books and is the more lauded of the two - Corwin wakes up on Earth (which is merely one of infinite shadows) having no memory of who he is and how he got there, and the books follow him as he regains his memory and adventures through shadow, rediscovering the relationships with his brothers and sisters in royalty, and trying his best to take what he believes is his rightful place on the throne of Amber.

Zelazny's knack for diverting the reader in clever ways, encapsulating prose, and never seeming to over-write anything makes these books a total joy to read and I have all sorts of ideas in my head about how the show would be cast and delivered to sustain the voice of the story which is a character in itself. First-time readers will probably note how "casual" Corwin's tone is (he narrates) throughout the book, in contrast to the overly epic manner of dictating events preferred by many other writers in the genre.

So, pardon a messy OP, but I wanted to leave this here to discuss Amber - the books and the potentialities of a TV series. Mods, not sure whether or not spoilers should apply, but perhaps we should have spoiler tags just for the people who don't know about Amber and want to go read it because of this thread and prepare for the show.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Uhh are you sure? If this is the SyFy /Robert Kirkman adaptation I thought it ran out of steam in 2017. Do you have a recent source that something is in production?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Blamestorm posted:

Uhh are you sure? If this is the SyFy /Robert Kirkman adaptation I thought it ran out of steam in 2017. Do you have a recent source that something is in production?

It would suck if this were true but I didn't find anything saying it waa a dead project.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

fawning deference posted:

It would suck if this were true but I didn't find anything saying it waa a dead project.

quote:

In July 2016, Skybound Entertainment announced that it was developing The Chronicles of Amber as a television project, with Walking Dead creator and producer Robert Kirkman as an executive producer.[21] Kirkman stated, "Chronicles of Amber is one of my favorite book series of all time, and one of my main inspirations for working in film and television. Getting to produce this project is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. I can’t wait to share this amazing story with a new generation of fans."[22]

In August 2017, Kirkman and Skybound announced an agreement with Amazon to develop television projects to debut exclusively on Prime Video, without identifying any specific project as part of the deal.[23] As of November 2017, no indications of the Amber television project's status or fate have been reported.
Not a great sign!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hmmm. Well if it is dead this could become a book thread perhaps.

• Locked thread