Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite swear word?
View Results

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Maybe with women in the game we'll finally see if love can bloom on the Battlefield

Love could previously bloom on the Battlefield but it was only *** love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
i wanna drive the big truck

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Symetrique posted:

:siren: :siren: PLANE STUFF :siren: :siren:

Want to be a BFV cyberace? Want to inject pubbie (and goon) hatred straight into your veins? Spawn in a plane!

The aircraft specializations in beta aren't working, so I'll make a better plane effortpost at launch. For now, remember to rebind your keys to something more sensible.

A warthunder-esque setup worked well for me in BF1 and the BFV alpha/beta:

Binding pitch up/down is the most important thing here. If you try to turn with a mouse in a dogfight, you will get out turned and shot down. The idea behind this setup is that you can do all of your maneuvers with your keyboard, while using your mouse for more precise gunnery.

Beta stuff: The BF109 is the best plane at the moment. Blenheims currently take reduced damage from AA emplacements; the only way to reliably kill them is with another plane.

:yeah:

Loving this game so far. Loving that new thread smell too.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
This feels sort of like BF4 on hardcore mode maybe? I am really enjoying the city map and really hating the winter map so far.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

now it just feels like maybe squads do teamwork but the maps feel overly big and empty and you don't have big fights. maybe the final will fix this but idk.

These are my main gripes right now, :dice: basing their core gameplay design to something which happens once in the blue moon, which is a squad of random players sticking together and playing as one cohesive unit. And the fighting seem like small scale skirmishes after the chaos of BF1, maybe it's the maps in the beta, the way too long spawn timers, the lack of vehicles, I don't know what, but everything just feels way less epic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The lack of tanks is definitely weird. There seems to be only a single tank spawn with a huge cooldown on either map in conquest, so you hardly ever see them. Perhaps they expect squads to use the call-in tank more often?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I loooooove that tanks need to resupply now. It’s really good.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Not gonna lie, it might be a good idea to faction lock the plane resupply points. I don't think its gonna be difficult to camp airplane spawns, especially if you get some alt first.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Symetrique posted:

Not gonna lie, it might be a good idea to faction lock the plane resupply points. I don't think its gonna be difficult to camp airplane spawns, especially if you get some alt first.

what why? don't you know our motto? gently caress skylards

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Symetrique posted:

but really, why? it's the same as tanks yeah?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
GIS skylard, get hipster

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

The plane resupply points are like, two poles you fly close to positioned by the main uncap (dice calls them skyhooks). Lets say a 109 shoots down a British plane, takes a little bit of damage in the process, maybe needs a resupply too. Instead of flying back to its own base it can just do a quick pass over the British skyhook, and climb back into position to intercept the next British plane, since the game does the BF1 thing where the plane spawns in at a preset location and altitude at the edge of the combat zone. Combine that knowledge with the changes to spotting, and the vultching German fighter will know where the British plane is before the British pilot even sees the German.

If they were faction locked, it would require the German plane to fly across the map to their own point, giving the other team a little bit of breathing room.

This is just based on how planes spawn on Narvik though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
How's the flight model for bf:v? I haven't flown sperged out since bf4 and the lack of any instrumentation tells me that there probably isn't a 313 equivalent- so how do i get the tightest turns aside from the current free dogfighting win that is playing as the germans

my first impression is that the planes felt way more like warthunder than the pure arcade flying of bf3/4

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Not as floaty or forgiving as BF1. I'm not sure if they brought back the optimal turning speed thing from BF4 that they got rid of in BF1. Your best bet is to just turn as tight as possible without crashing into the ground if you're on the defensive. I've had some luck shaking 109s by flying low over the sea, using the ships to break line of sight. Doubt that would work against a competent pilot though. There is no rear look like in BF1 either, and freelook is still limited to cockpit only. For some reason you can turn your head more in the Spitfire than the 109.

I really don't think the FM is anywhere close to being finished, and the broken specializations kinda make things harder to gauge. For example, both the 109 and Spitfire get maneuverability upgrades, leading-edge slats for the former and improved control surfaces for the latter. Its possible that the 109 has a better dogfighting package than the current Spitfires, as both Spits have flares, unlike the 109, which only has an emergency repair and possible incendiary rounds.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 7, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fun enough experience so far. Better than World War 1 certainly.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Communist Bear posted:

Fun enough experience so far. Better than World War 1 certainly.

I agree. Most, but perhaps not all, video games are better than the first world war, imho

Symetrique posted:

Not as floaty or forgiving as BF1. I'm not sure if they brought back the optimal turning speed thing from BF4 that they got rid of in BF1. Your best bet is to just turn as tight as possible without crashing into the ground if you're on the defensive. I've had some luck shaking 109s by flying low over the sea, using the ships to break line of sight. Doubt that would work against a competent pilot though. There is no rear look like in BF1 either, and freelook is still limited to cockpit only. For some reason you can turn your head more in the Spitfire than the 109.

I really don't think the FM is anywhere close to being finished, and the broken specializations kinda make things harder to gauge. For example, both the 109 and Spitfire get maneuverability upgrades, leading-edge slats for the former and improved control surfaces for the latter. Its possible that the 109 has a better dogfighting package than the current Spitfires, as both Spits have flares, unlike the 109, which only has an emergency repair and possible incendiary rounds.

I don't know how I feel about the different factions planes not having identical stats. BF4 shipped with the US plane (iirc) being superior to the russian and VASTLY superior to the chinese, and it didn't eally bring anything to the game except unfun imbalance, where you'd potentially be hosed simply based on what team you're on rather than any other factor

Like, even after they evened out the plane stats, the simply fact that the J-20 was physically larger than the other planes put it at a disadvantage where, skill being equal, the non J-20 pilot would consistently win the engagement

If they're gonna make the planes perform differently, they're gonna have to work really hard on balancing out each ones areas of strength and weakness, because as I see it, the one with superior maneuverability will almost always end up the winner

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 7, 2018

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Symetrique posted:

There is no rear look like in BF1 either, and freelook is still limited to cockpit only.

Removing 3rd person rear view would make sense if you could maneuver while using freelook. But as it is now you can yaw a bit and that's it. Kinda funny how in hardcore flight sims it's easier to keep track of your foe than in arcade shooter like BFV, if the change is by design.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Rolling Scissors posted:

Removing 3rd person rear view would make sense if you could maneuver while using freelook. But as it is now you can yaw a bit and that's it. Kinda funny how in hardcore flight sims it's easier to keep track of your foe than in arcade shooter like BFV, if the change is by design.

This has been the case since Bf3 and I just can't wrap my head around why they would do this

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is probably in part me being a Bad but I feel like it's way harder to get significant streaks compared to earlier games. Not even like, absurd 15 kill things, I really struggle to have fire fights where I'm not killing one guy and dying immediately after. Something about the lethality and the map design coming together.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I think in BF4 it’s possible to free look while still maneuvering if you use the motion controls for free look. Haven’t tried it though.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Reposting beta plane videos in the new thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLu9j-c_aKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPedAqiXaIs

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Symetrique posted:

:siren: :siren: PLANE STUFF :siren: :siren:

I'm going to try this different keybind style this time. I never bound roll to any keys in BF1 and found I was sometimes wishing I had.

so far, I agree, the flight model doesnt seem finished. The stukka isnt loud enough.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cant believe how many of you waste your time up in the skies. So as a 3/4 vet am I gonna enjoy this or hate it like 1/Battlefront?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

codo27 posted:

Cant believe how many of you waste your time up in the skies. So as a 3/4 vet am I gonna enjoy this or hate it like 1/Battlefront?

Open beta right now home slice, give it a shot.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm away from home and my desktop but getting gf to download it on her laptop and hoping to god it might run somewhat half decent on low settings on a 940mx

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It might run better on a high speed slide projector than on a 940MX

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbgomuqy2mg

This spawn protection bullshit really has to go or be toned down severely, or at the very least remove it the millisecond a person moves their character because good grief this is bad

My shadowplay is hella acting up (and suddenly recording in 1280x720???) or I would have also added a guy surviving a direct hit from a tank shell for 50 damage and another taking an enfield shot to the head for like 12

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

codo27 posted:

I'm away from home and my desktop but getting gf to download it on her laptop and hoping to god it might run somewhat half decent on low settings on a 940mx

Whatever happens don't let any part of that laptop touch exposed skin after trying to run bfv

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it sucks that LMGs are back to being lovely assault rifles

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
IDK if it got mentioned but everyone losing their poo poo over Firestorm supposedly being Deluxe only has horrible reading comprehension.

You get "THE FIRESTORM RANGER SET" with Premier or Deluxe. Based on their other pre-order incentives, I'd wager it's cosmetic poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's this.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Some cool light vehicles spotted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ABdsUoYfE

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Exactly the sort of kinda cool but still eminently forgettable poo poo that pre-order DLC tends to be.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

bacon flaps posted:

IDK if it got mentioned but everyone losing their poo poo over Firestorm supposedly being Deluxe only has horrible reading comprehension.

You get "THE FIRESTORM RANGER SET" with Premier or Deluxe. Based on their other pre-order incentives, I'd wager it's cosmetic poo poo.

Nah, this is how that page originally looked

They've since corrected the error, everyone obviously gets firestorm, but I can see why people would get confused

But If they have any brains they'll give away firestorm for free to pull in new players

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it sucks that LMGs are back to being lovely assault rifles

There'll also be proper MMGs in the full game. For example, the MG34 was in the first alpha, but isn't in this beta for some reason. Those seem to have pretty incredible firepower when deployed, with the trade-off that you can't use their sights at all when not deployed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Nah, this is how that page originally looked

They've since corrected the error, everyone obviously gets firestorm, but I can see why people would get confused

But If they have any brains they'll give away firestorm for free to pull in new players

Aren’t they doing away with the premium pass expansions and such anyway? Based on that alone I didn’t believe that they would tuck BR behind a paywall

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm starting to wonder if this is an issue with my settings or if TAA is really that bad. It's very difficult to see anything past like 30m because it all blurs together. The incredibly washed out coloring doesn't help matters much. It's like everyone in WW2 forgot their glasses at home.

I'm playing at 1440p and have all the chromatic aberration/dof/motion blur effects off, otherwise everything is on ultra/high (shadows and undergrowth). TAA Low or High doesn't affect things much one way or the other.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bacon flaps posted:

thats not what the website said at the time, it was updated after the fact

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think I’m starting to see why things feel so pitchy. It’s a combination of base bullet damage being pretty reasonable but having a massive headshot multiplier, and recoil being incredibly random. I’ve never played another FPS where sometimes recoil can make your gun go way further to the left or right than it goes up, and (from what I can tell) it’s all random.

So the TTK is pretty nice when headshots don’t happen, but people just get deleted when they do, and the super random recoil means it can come down to luck who gets them beyond short range. I’ve done pretty much the same thing to two different guys, erased one in less time than it took to ADS, and didn’t even hit the second guy with 1 bullet when my recoil bounced me straight over him. I hope it feels different with the “less horizontal recoil” upgrade. I feel like I’m always gonna be going for that upgrade if it makes much of a difference. I’d prefer it if the recoil wasn’t so random and the guns were just less accurate instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Origin has some kinda refund poo poo if you dont like the game dont they? I usually know within 5 minutes anyway. I can play fortnite on her laptop but only due to the resolution scaling. It actually still looks good with AA turned up and everything else turned down.