Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite swear word?
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Julius CSAR posted:

I saw a Churchill driving around last night with a dude up on the top deck and towing some sort of wheeled cart. Not an AA or AT gun. Is there some kind of roving supply cache upgrade?
Churchill Crocodiles tow their flamethrower fuel behind them.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Paul MaudDib posted:

"mudflaps" is also censored

yo is my name tho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
e=/=quote

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
After a day's play my conclusion is: game's ok I guess. Some good, some bad stuff, and some Dice stuff as always. Not gonna preorder because I'm not a huge idiot. Whether I end up buying at release or shortly after will be probably just come down to whether or not I've already got any games I care about.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It'll be interesting to see how much changes between now and the base game. Right now there's like zero reason to play anything other than Assault with the StG or Scout with the ZH.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do we have any goon servers planned besides wook wook yet? Would like to coordinate if possible.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Reviving team mates close to a fight has become way more risky, I wouldn't mind halving the time you're stuck in the animation. Also the bleeding out mechanic needs more work - pressing the mouse for 8 seconds just so I can finally die isn't a very good time investment.
But the gun handling is fun, movement works well and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the weapons and evices in the final game.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Where the hell does the Churchill even spawn when you call for it? I don't see it on the maps anywhere.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SavageGentleman posted:

Reviving team mates close to a fight has become way more risky, I wouldn't mind halving the time you're stuck in the animation. Also the bleeding out mechanic needs more work - pressing the mouse for 8 seconds just so I can finally die isn't a very good time investment.
But the gun handling is fun, movement works well and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the weapons and evices in the final game.

Oh no, you're mistaken, it's actually pressing the mouse for 8 seconds just so you can start the respawn counter.

Also movement sucks, the amount of ankle-high ledges blocking your movement in this game is terribad.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/EA_DICE/status/1038047357571686401

Rotterdam heatmaps. Kinda neat.

Also unlocked the 50kg bombs for the BF109. Haven't tested them in an actual game yet, but they do come with a bombsight.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
And recons also like to cross the river to the east. But other than that, Brits are obviously getting spawncamped.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonz posted:

Where the hell does the Churchill even spawn when you call for it? I don't see it on the maps anywhere.

It should be available from the spawn menu at your base, next to the regular tank, with a little star-shaped icon. If you don't see it, chances are one of your squaddies took and it died immediately. :downs:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Hadlock posted:

Do we have any goon servers planned besides wook wook yet? Would like to coordinate if possible.

Oh hell yeah I'm all in for Wook Wook.

Paul MaudDib posted:

And recons also like to cross the river to the east. But other than that, Brits are obviously getting spawncamped.

The heatmaps are upside down relative to the in game map. The heatmap cluster on the bottom left is point D.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 8, 2018

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Based on teams now having two spaced out spawn points in their uncap and assuming this is the new norm, I think we'll see a lot less spawncamping of locked out teams in this title compared to previous ones

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yup, it's a Battlefield game alright:

As you might imagine, the remaining objective was not even close to being within line of sight from there. :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

After a day's play my conclusion is: game's ok I guess. Some good, some bad stuff, and some Dice stuff as always. Not gonna preorder because I'm not a huge idiot. Whether I end up buying at release or shortly after will be probably just come down to whether or not I've already got any games I care about.

:same:

I might get it when it's on sale, but as of right now I am not really feeling it.

I just hope the next mainline game is set in the future or near future. I want crazy gadgets and attachments. Give me BF 2143 already!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

a_good_username posted:

The city map is leaps and bounds better than the winter one IMO. If I could only play the winter map I’d probably not like the game tbh.

The UI stuff around dying does seem super odd to me as well, idk why we needed three bleed out options or why the 3rd person squadmate follow screen is the default.

I've only played the winter map and don't like it at all, it just feels like a team death match with the occasional vehicle thrown in.

But it does seem like the general consensus is that the city map is better so I'll wait and see what that's like.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

People have already mentioned how the pickup animation can occasionally get you killed, but as it turns out it will also mutilate the gently caress out of your fingers:
https://i.imgur.com/lLtuAPR.mp4

Also:
https://i.imgur.com/1abQG5R.mp4

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

lol. beta ragdoll physics are great

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This is now my 4th attempt at completing the open beta assignment. Every single time I complete it, the game server crashes and I lose all my progress.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
Played the beta enough to get both dogtags and I'm really liking it. Performs just as well as BF1 and looks better. Sten is my fave gun. First time using it I went on a 10 kill streak.
No 3D spotting is great. You actually have a good chance to flank or ambush people and having a scout scope-spot people before attacking a point is pretty valuable.

Not a fan of the gun upgrade system, seems dumb to buy faster bullets or better moving accuracy. I thought BF4s system of different attachments giving you different attributes with tradeoffs was fine. Narvik's paradrop map needs some changes. Takes too long to jump out of the plane and bomb spawn locations should be random and not visible to the enemy until it's picked up.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Broken DX12 render path aside, the variability in frame rates in this game is a little annoying. Hard to complain when I have a 1080Ti, Gsync and get great frame rates with everything High or Ultra but a sudden drop from 100 to 40 really screws with aiming and situational awareness. They’ve got to balance the scene complexity somehow otherwise even people with high end PCs will turn down settings just to reduce the drops.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My tank left me, where did it go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgNdYimAuo

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy hell the M1A1 Carbine is garbage. I can only hope the STG44 gets nerfed and the Allies get some suitably good automatic for Assault, maybe the Thompson or a non-bipod BAR.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Thread title should be "This Alt Haus".

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy hell the M1A1 Carbine is garbage. I can only hope the STG44 gets nerfed and the Allies get some suitably good automatic for Assault, maybe the Thompson or a non-bipod BAR.

If you click fast and replace the default sights it's actually amazing. it has amazing reach, and ok recoil. It'd a spazzy G43.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

If you click fast and replace the default sights it's actually amazing. it has amazing reach, and ok recoil. It'd a spazzy G43.

Yeah, the clicking is what gets to me since my old man fingers can no longer get that APM. I hope I get the chance to replace the sights too; aperture sights pretty much feel like the best general use ones for every gun.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of bad guns, the FG42 was a kind of a letdown. Too much recoil to be much good run-and-gunning, too small a magazine to lay down sustained fire like you can with the Bren.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of support guns I don't know if they're in the beta since I haven't checked or unlocked them yet but I know DICE said there are bigger MG's in BF5 that can't be fired unless you deploy them. As someone who enjoys taking an M249 in BF4 or the MG15 in BF1 over to an alley or into a house looking down a street that an enemy has to run down or run by but still likes being able to do things without having to go prone every time they seen an enemy outside pistol range has there been any indication that the deploy-only MG's will be the only ones with large magazines? The Bren gun is fine but I like to be able to 1) fire more than 30 rounds when I deploy on a bipod and 2) actually be able to do things when I'm moving to a better position.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'm wouldnt think there would be deploy-only guns, there's no need for that when your accuracy is crap without the bipod anyway. I'm sure there will be more guns, but the mag sizes in the beta for support are pathetic and I hope they give support at least bigger mag sizes to make up for the fact that they are clearly the worst class.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 8, 2018

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Plz don't nerf STG44

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of support guns I don't know if they're in the beta since I haven't checked or unlocked them yet but I know DICE said there are bigger MG's in BF5 that can't be fired unless you deploy them.

Sintax posted:

I'm wouldnt think there would be deploy-only guns, there's no need for that when your accuracy is crap without the bipod anyway.

There are stationary machine guns that are deployable/constructible at certain fortification areas, but only the Support class can place them. There's two of them at the first B point on the second day of the beta Grand Operation.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sintax posted:

I'm wouldnt think there would be deploy-only guns, there's no need for that when your accuracy is crap without the bipod anyway. I'm sure there will be more guns, but the mag sizes in the beta for support are pathetic and I hope they give support at least bigger mag sizes to make up for the fact that they are clearly the worst class.

Alehkhs posted:

There are stationary machine guns that are deployable/constructible at certain fortification areas, but only the Support class can place them. There's two of them at the first B point on the second day of the beta Grand Operation.

One example of the MMG weapon class (the MG 34) has been in the first alpha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCSKoaV0po

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm stunned at how much I like this versus how much I disliked BF1.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chomp8645 posted:

same. i think the full game might be ok but it doesnt have that awesome BF1 battle experience. it just feels like 4 but with cod game play.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

One example of the MMG weapon class (the MG 34) has been in the first alpha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCSKoaV0po

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Was remembering wrong so you can fire them without deploying but no ironsights and I'm betting crap accuracy and recoil but that's good enough. I was just worried I'd be locked into not being able to do anything (except break out the pistol) without deploying it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. i think the full game might be ok but it doesnt have that awesome BF1 battle experience. it just feels like 4 but with cod game play.

I like the fact that health and ammo is relatively limited which makes for more intense play, but in terms of design and setting going back to WWII is ugh. It is better than I expected but it's still what it is.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm stunned at how much I like this versus how much I disliked BF1.

same.

The BF1 battle experience: Seeing three chokepoints on Argonne forever.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
So I dug into aircraft doing the ground attack thing and I found it... Reasonable.

I'm one of those BF1 skygods who loves his autism chariot and I actively avoid it unless I get mad because it feels cheap. I can get like 14 kills in 3 minutes on some maps.

But BFV is different. The skyhook rearm system and limited ammo means I have to think ahead on every pass. I've found that I can get a kill or two per pass when I know where the Frontline is. Would be even better if I had friendlies on comms spotting for me.

As a consequence the 250lb bomb stuka is AWESOME. Climb up super high, do a loop into a dive, accelerate in the dive coming straight down on your target to get the jericho siren running, drop your bomb with eyes on, then pull up low off the ground screaming away from the crater I just made.

It feels fuckin GOOD and doesn't feel cheap. The skill floor for aircraft just went up and thats aite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Also are any goons playing today on the west coast? Would like to actually y'all for once.