Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Good morning!

I have been using Kingston brand USB drives for some years now and I love them. however, they have recently stopped making their slim metal body USB drives that I have come to love. they are still available from some sellers but are getting scarce. I have tried a couple of no-name alternatives but they have compatibility issues. I am aware that there is a new metal datatraveler, but it’s much bulkier and I’ve found it has very poor small file performance.

anyone know any good metal flash drives that are available now? thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pity bump

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

just remember your files, op

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Those drives are so smart-looking. It's a pity about the lousy data transfer rates.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Doom Mathematic posted:

Those drives are so smart-looking. It's a pity about the lousy data transfer rates.

Please don’t sign your posts with your first grade teacher’s report card comments.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 7, 2018

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bring the UBS drive to the ren fair and have the local blacksmith forge a metal encasement for it.

DUH!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

checjk out samsungs usb drive offerings, op. :cheers:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol put a fuckin $30 120gb ssd in a box and use that for your external, jesus was this queued in 2011

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thumb drives

i cant loving even

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hang on i'll find you some as soon as i'm done tracking down some desperately needed dongles for Rokr phones and maybe a charger for a Neopoint NP1000

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

hang on i'll find you some as soon as i'm done tracking down some desperately needed dongles for Rokr phones and maybe a charger for a Neopoint NP1000

settle down beavis

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
How's your cuecat stash OP? Might be able to get you sorted

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OP i have a perfectly good scsi 1 card that works in windows 10, what's your bid

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Nice meltdown, lol.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not as good a meltdown as these sweet thunderbird 1.1 ghz chips i'm currently bubble wrapping for the OP, who apparently just disembarked from a ship in a Zima bottle

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

Not as good a meltdown as these sweet thunderbird 1.1 ghz chips i'm currently bubble wrapping for the OP, who apparently just disembarked from a ship in a Zima bottle

It seems like, if you're hell-bent on using nostalgic 90s beverages for packing material, you'd be better off using Orbitz because of the possible shock-absorbency of the little jelly bubbles?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like, if you're hell-bent on using nostalgic 90s beverages for packing material, you'd be better off using Orbitz because of the possible shock-absorbency of the little jelly bubbles?

oh hell yeah this is a great idea

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
my b-i-l got me something called a Gorilla drive

it has held up pretty well

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

try a floppy disk

benefits of floppy disk over these so called usb drives:

audible read/write alert

write protect switch

large pen-writable area

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

How's your cuecat stash OP? Might be able to get you sorted

I have a variety of CODE scanners available at my workplace (wireless and bluetooth even)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

will a samsung work, op?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

I also, at the time of this writing, have a dual 1ghz p3 slot one PC in my apartment

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

will a samsung work, op?

hmmmm maybe

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh I probably passed on those in the past because they don't come smaller than 32gb anymore. I need something I can afford to lose. the kingston ones were down to $5 each in bulk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I do however have a SILICON POWER usb drive that has usb3.1 A and C connectors on it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh I probably passed on those in the past because they don't come smaller than 32gb anymore. I need something I can afford to lose. the kingston ones were down to $5 each in bulk

I, too, consider “small and cheap enough to easily put out of my mind” as a highly desirable trait when looking for media on which to store/transport my data.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

op post a good panda

maybe several

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

will a samsung work, op?

ftw....

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I, too, consider “small and cheap enough to easily put out of my mind” as a highly desirable trait when looking for media on which to store/transport my data.

I am using them at work for SCCM litetouch and stuff, not critical data, very often I can forget them in a PC

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

u work at geek squad?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
be like that one guy and install a flash drive in your hand meat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

very poor small file performance.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I love linus tech tips

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i hate linus tech tips

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just throwing some random hate out there, but i hate that he keeps popping up in your suggestions if you stroll into anything techish on youtube, he's jarring as gently caress

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Encrypted, obviously.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I love linus tech tips

that's actually from 8 bit guy lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dougISKs2vQ

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that clearly says the iBookGuy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tankakern posted:

just throwing some random hate out there, but i hate that he keeps popping up in your suggestions if you stroll into anything techish on youtube, he's jarring as gently caress

that and 10 thumbnails of louis rossman screaming at an imac

• Locked thread