Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Arcadia, the Scion

As long as humans have shared stories, they've talked of creatures beyond comprehension. Sometimes the fey folk, sometimes monsters, demons, or creatures stranger still. Many of these stem from the same origin: visitors from the land of Faerie. And, well, that's where I'm from too. My father, well, he got lost. Very, very lost. So lost, in fact, that he stumbled into this hidden realm of magic and love and monsters and danger when he was walking to the corner store. It's not unlike Keystone, now that I think of it, but it was quite a shock for him. He's never been as in-tune with things like this as I am, but I suppose that makes sense. After all, I do take after mother. For better or worse.

quote:

• Who is your supervillain parent?

Queen Mab. Yes, the very same. She's been a scourge upon Keystone — and realms beyond your understanding — for the last... I honestly have forgotten the date of the first sighting. Quite some time ago, long beyond the memory of any still living. It's a little odd how time works in Faerie. From my perspective, it's only been a matter of months since I first saw my loving mother turn into... well, the Queen you know. Dark and beautiful and terrible beyond measure. Her loyal knights, the Wild Hunt, have matched wits with the best and brightest heroes for generations. Her endless legions of lesser fae, too, trouble the people of Keystone and beyond as they seek the riches and offerings that the Queen craves.

quote:

• Who told you about your parent’s true nature?

It's... complicated. On the one hand, it's no secret — to me at least — that the Fae are strongly influenced by those around them. I'm no different, honestly, though my human blood gives me a stronger sense of self than those of mo- Queen Mab's court. You must understand, when I was growing up... things were perfect. They were idyllic, possibly beyond your comprehension. I frolicked in lands of — quite literal — milk and honey. I matched wits and swashed buckles with red cap bandits! Every day was a new adventure, every turn a new discovery. Even the endless politics of the Fae Courts were enjoyable. The dancing was quite incredible.

If that man, Hermes, had never come, maybe things never would have changed. But come he did. He found his way into the realm of Faerie, but where my father was lost... let's simply say that Hermes did not arrive by coincidence. The Fae love new stimulation, though, so he was quickly able to find a place at my mother's... the Queen's side. The shift was as dramatic as it was sudden. Where once the realms were ruled with love, justice, and no little whimsy, the Queen's rule became one of tight, iron-fisted tyranny. Her subjects followed in her wake, soon reflecting her nature with their own, and I could feel my own starting to darken.

quote:

• Why did you turn from your lineage to be a hero?

Let me be utterly, perfectly clear. I love the Faerie that was. The Faerie that should be. The fact that I cannot enter it without daring existential peril pains me greatly, as does the loss of many friends and those I considered family. I have not turned from my lineage. I will not turn from them. And, mark my words, I will bring the Faerie that was back to primacy. So, some months ago by your measure, I finished working my way out through the hidden hedges and paths from the now-Court of the True Queen. I found myself in Keystone Bay, a place far from that what I know, but perhaps the key to returning the Queen — my mother — to her true self.

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, helps you on your chosen path?

...This is also a complicated matter, I must apologize. As mentioned, time flows differently between your realm and mine. When I escaped Faerie, I found that you heroes have always known Queen Mab to be a terrible threat. And, too, I found myself the subject of much scrutiny. Suffice to say I was not about to submit to a different sort of bondage. I knew that I could not rely on the heroes of your realm, not as of yet, and I knew I would need to find someone upon whom I could. I possess many of the talents of my people, glamour and the gift alike, and I used my senses to identify the one who would best help my quest.

Now, the one that my divinations identified... it was most unexpected. It was my father, Alek Levintus, but not as I knew him as a child. This Alek was one who had not yet stumbled onto the path that leads him the realm of Faerie and, too, has never met my mother. I cannot say whether this is a different one entirely or simply another casualty in the tenuous grasp of time that our realms share. He found my story fanciful, at first, but eventually, I was able to assuage his concerns with knowledge of his life that he could not explain away. He has graciously given me space to stay and his knowledge of Keystone Bay has proven most helpful in establishing the leads I must follow towards my desired future.

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

I constantly face the pressure of a city, a world, that insists I become what it wants. These few companions are a source of solace and sense of self that is irreplaceable. I've lost much, that is why I am here, but I do not regret finding those who I would gladly see at my side on the day we finally return Faerie to what it should truly be.

The Scion posted:

Hero Name: Arcadia
Look: Shifting, Half-Greek, Statuesque Body, Expensive Clothing, Fae Regalia

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +0
Savior +2
Superior +0
Mundane +0

Your Lineage:
You are the child of a true supervillain, someone with power and the will to use that power to cause harm. Even though you strive to be different than them, you are what you are because of them, in one way or another.

What kind of villain are they?
deadly mercenary, master thief, fearsome destroyer, crusader, puppetmaster, grandiose tyrant

What is your relationship with them like?
mostly strangers, actively adversarial, sadly opposed, ever-shifting, redemption/corruption, full of denial

They have an array of abilities, assets, and strengths; what are some of them? (up to 3)
superhuman martial prowess, dark sorcery, cosmic might, diabolical machines, endless minions, unrivaled genius, powerful allies, arsenal of weapons and gadgets, supremely honed skills

What abilities do you use to fight them? (up to 2)
impressive martial prowess, magical aptitude, cosmic energies, machine control, regeneration, electrokinesis, seismic waves, a powerful weapon or gadget, mastery of a single skillset

Moves:
❑ I’ll show them: When you defend someone who doesn’t believe in you, you can always take Influence over them, even on a miss.

❑ They don’t deserve forgiveness: When you accuse an enemy of being irredeemable, you can mark two conditions to take Influence over you away from them. When you directly engage someone who has no Influence over you, you can always choose 1 additional option, even on a miss.

Respect:
Write down the names of at least two other characters whose respect you need to earn in order to differentiate yourself from your parent. You may fill in new names whenever appropriate.

Your parent’s greatest enemy: The Knight-Errant
Respect: ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ Advancement: ☐
Your parent’s greatest victim: _____________
Your personal idol: _____________________
The city’s greatest leader: ________________
The city’s greatest hero: Jeremiah Keystone
The city’s biggest celebrity: ______________

When you seek out one of the characters named above, roll + Savior. On a hit, you find them where you expected to. On a 7-9, they’re juggling their own problems, and may not have time for you. On a miss, when you find them, the situation is dire; the GM will tell you how.

If you earn Influence over the characters listed above, instead you mark 1 Respect. If you lose Influence over the characters listed above, you lose 1 Respect. If you lose 1 Respect and you have none marked, you immediately mark a condition, GM’s choice.

The first time you reach 4 Respect on an individual, take an advancement.

While you have 4 Respect on an individual:
• You can reject their Influence at a +3 (does not stack with the above).
• You take +1 to a Label of their choice. (record it next to their name)
If you dip below 4 Respect on an individual, you lose those benefits.

Moment of Truth:
People have always tried to define you by your lineage. As if from the moment you were born, you were meant to be some villain to be defeated. But...they’re right, aren’t they? That darkness is in you. So right here, right now, you’re not fighting it—you’re embracing it. Both hero and villain, and greater besides. You’re overcoming impossible odds in ways no hero would approve of, and no villain could comprehend. Of course, after seeing what you can really do when you embrace the whole of yourself, the rest of the world isn’t going to forget who you really are...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you have earned their respect. If you have, take Influence over them and mark potential. If you have not, give them Influence over you and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they would defend you against those who mistrust you. If they say yes, clear a condition and shift Savior up and any other Label down. If they say no, mark a condition and shift Danger up and any other Label down.

When our team first came together...
Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?

Relationships:
____________________ is the only one who understands what I’m going through; I told them which part of me I wished was more like my parent.
My parent once fought and thrashed _____________________; I’ve got to find a way to make it up to them.

Influence:
This team may be the key to proving you’re different from your parent, but you don’t want to be defined by your peers, either. Give Influence to 2 teammates.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quote:

Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?

As the matters of the Pandemonium Museum wound to a close, a number of more established heroes finally responded to the trouble. I won't bore you with the full list, it was quite extensive, but the most... troublesome, shall we say, of them was The Knight-Errant herself. She has long had history with my mother's court and, indeed, was one of the first to battle the Wild Hunt and the fey legions of Queen Mab. By all accounts, she looks but a mere fraction of her true age. And, if I'm correct, the secret behind that is a particularly potent charm. It's strangely familiar, something that I've surely seen before, though I cannot quite remember it.

Suffice to say, it did not take her long to puzzle out my own truth. None in Keystone are more familiar with the realm of Faerie than she. While it was impossible for her to attack us, victorious in battle and saviors of the day, those same considerations did not still her poisoned tongue. She spoke to any who would listen, at great length, as to how the attack of the cursed mummy had clearly been a ploy by myself and my comrades to advance some foul plot. I do not believe many took her words to heart, but it seems unlikely that she'll be content with that.

• Locked thread